Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sure, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Have you decided on what era/country the house should be?

Theres loads of stuff out there for european 19th to early 20th century interiors.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sometimes I wish I did doll houses because at doll house scale I could make some pretty rad stuff on the laser cutter. In N scale I'm lucky to make a one-piece window frame and it's still over-scale thick.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Well, I'm nearly finished that Ju 290 I was building. And I don't really have any place to put or display it. What do you guys do for display?

I have a biggish house, and only I live here. Apparently it takes me a bit over a year to finish a model, so I'm just going to start putting them on flat surfaces, that should get me well into the next decade before it's a problem. :v:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Baronjutter posted:

Sometimes I wish I did doll houses because at doll house scale I could make some pretty rad stuff on the laser cutter. In N scale I'm lucky to make a one-piece window frame and it's still over-scale thick.

According to The Wire there's a shitload of money in dollhouse related stuff. Maybe you should become an artisan dollhouse maker :omarcomin:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Nebakenezzer posted:

According to The Wire there's a shitload of money in dollhouse related stuff. Maybe you should become an artisan dollhouse maker :omarcomin:

There's a local tourist shop that also sells what looks like handmade dollhouse stuff, and it's pretty pricey. I've also seen women in the shop going to town on the merch in a way that almost puts warhams to shame. So I don't think it would be a horribly idea for a scale model retailer to try out making dollhouse stuff as well.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Some doll house stuff is 1/24th scale and you can get a few aircraft kits in that scale so you could do a Spitfire with some nice chintz curtains and a mahogany tea table or something. I dunno.

In other news I just forked out for a hi-mock so we'd better do that at some point.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Unkempt posted:

Some doll house stuff is 1/24th scale and you can get a few aircraft kits in that scale so you could do a Spitfire with some nice chintz curtains and a mahogany tea table or something. I dunno.

In other news I just forked out for a hi-mock so we'd better do that at some point.

This just reminded me of top gear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbU0UJAdFj8

Wonder if it could be done in model form. Final result at c. 6 minutes.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Things are getting a bit absurd on the huge Tiger Tank.

That little thingy on the left is a mount for the loaders hatch locking mechanisms. It's built up out of seven PE parts.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Greyhawk posted:

That little thingy on the left is a mount for the loaders hatch locking mechanisms. It's built up out of seven PE parts.

I'm getting flashbacks of the card Tiger.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Greyhawk posted:

But what's the thing on the right?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Unkempt posted:

Tamiya did a series of German infantrymen in 1:24th. Your dolls can have some sketchy company!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ensign Expendable posted:

Tamiya did a series of German infantrymen in 1:24th. Your dolls can have some sketchy company!

A bombed out dollhouse full of desperately fighting Nazis. The perfect gift for any child!

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

A bombed out dollhouse full of desperately fighting Nazis. The perfect gift for any child!

Ein volk ein reich ein Barbie Beach House!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Pavlov's Dream House

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Pavlov's Dream House

Oh, wait unzil you see ze living room, it is my favourite.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Pavlov's Dream House

Oh, wait unzil you see ze living room, it is my favourite.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Speaking of inappropriate Nazis, I just got back from the air show at Andrew's Airforce base, where I took pictures of this:

The fellows in Wehrmacht uniforms had politely hidden everything with swastikas.

Edit: I forgot the point: I now know what I'm building after my hi-mock is done

Troll Bridgington posted:

:lol:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 19, 2015

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Apologies for the giant effort post, but I thought y'all might like some pics in addition to the wall of text.

As a child (some 30 years ago now) I was given two dollhouse kits. One was a generic farmhouse like the one I just acquired, but the other was this lovely monstrosity:

The Greenleaf Pierce

Now that I'm old enough to afford hobbies, I started out thinking I wanted to do another kit because I enjoyed the cutting out, sanding, and construction as much than or more than the actual painting & decorating. Doing another Victorian would give me lots of fiddly little details to mess with:

(Source for AMAZING detail pics)

But the current available 1:12 scale house kits are loving HUGE. This bitch is probably around 4' tall.

So I found this pre-made thing on Craigslist for $40, and what I like about it is that it's only about 20" high and 28" long. I think this gives me a much more manageable first project to practice on before I go totally nuts and build something half the size of my craft room.

And I say "first project" because... it's been 30 years. I don't actually own any of the craft tools necessary to do this, except an exacto set, dremel, and some paint brushes. Everything I want to do to this project will have to be purchased as I make design and construction decisions. I have no experience doing any of the techniques I need, except what I've read about in following these threads for the last few years.

As an aside... a lot of dollhouse people make their miniatures out of fimo clay or papercrafts, which I somehow feel is cheating. I don't want to make my spoons and forks out of silver-colored paper, I want to shape them out of real metal, or get an itty bitty lathe and turn my own banisters. (The Locator you have not been helping in this regard.) And really, flaking a chunk of slate into 0.5" rectangles for the roof shouldn't take much longer than using paint and cardboard and spackle, right? :haw:

I know this is unreasonable but I'm not really completely over it. I actually considered for several days whether it was reasonable to buy the equipment and learn how to blow glass in order to make miniature wineglasses, instead of cutting up plastic tubing like everyone else does.

Anyhow,

Greyhawk posted:

Have you decided on what era/country the house should be?

Theres loads of stuff out there for european 19th to early 20th century interiors.

So after some research I settled on Lake District (Cumbria, UK) vernacular architecture. It's interesting in that you have fieldstone faced, cruck-framed farmhouses which were constructed in the late 1600s, but extensively renovated in the late 1800s.

The farmhouses tend to be finished in stucco over the fieldstone. The barn and other farm buildings are left plain stone.

Detail of some of the area building traditions. I'm looking forward to creating those weathered, lichened roof slates.

So they have these very early layouts and structures, but because of the later updates, it's not an anachronism to finish the insides with all the Victorian frills you like. A particularly notable example are the homes owned by Beatrix Potter:

Hill Top Farm

Yew Tree Farm, which was used as a stand-in for Hill Top in a movie.

I'm planning to re-create a mix of these two examples in my model. Because these (and most other Lake District houses) are National Trust buildings, they are extensively documented, and I will have a lot of photography to rely on. My house's exterior (specifically window layout) is a bit more like Yew Tree, so I'll probably finish the outside that way, but the inside I plan to finish as Hill Top. Many of the interior fittings were documented in Potter's illustrations, so those will be a primary reference for me.

So to sum up, I'm going to try to go from this:

To something that resembles this:

My first steps will be:
1. Remove the screws and those dumb interior bracing blocks, replace with glue and better nails to keep the upper story from gaping at the edges
2. Possibly move one of the interior walls so I have a better layout
3. Prime that poo poo

I also need to decide if I'm going to re-cut the window openings to better match the real examples (and standard window kits), or just wing it with the existing ones.

Troll Bridgington posted:

Nebakenezzer posted:

Pavlov's Dream House

You think you're funny but I'm sorely tempted.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

alucinor posted:

Apologies for the giant effort post, but I thought y'all might like some pics in addition to the wall of text...

Some of those things are amazing, and I really like your subject choices for what you want to make your houses look like.

alucinor posted:

... I don't want to make my spoons and forks out of silver-colored paper, I want to shape them out of real metal, or get an itty bitty lathe and turn my own banisters. (The Locator you have not been helping in this regard.)

*takes a bow*

Real talk, if you decide to do this, let me know (PM or just post here), I'd make you a really good deal on my Proxxon lathe if it will fill your needs. Now that I've got the Sherline, I doubt that I'll use the Proxxon again. It's got maybe 8 hours of use, and I have the original box and some accessories that would go along. The link is to the kit with accessories that I bought and would be included.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Good work on making a doll house sound like an incredible and insane project. I'm well impressed!

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

alucinor posted:

You think you're funny but I'm sorely tempted.

Do it :getin:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Tying all the drat clove-hitches!

Doing a three masted square rigger with far more shrouds, and 3 tiers of this poo poo.. would not be fun I don't think.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm building a 1/72 Airfix Typhoon to go with my Fw-190. The decals on the 190 went on really smoothly with just water, but the instrument panel decal on the Typhoon didn't really stick. What's a good thing to do to make them stick better? There's several types of stuff for decals and I'm a bit lost.

The Locator posted:

Tying all the drat clove-hitches!

Looks amazing though!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

alucinor posted:

I just picked up a 1:12 scale project which I'm going to attempt to customize.

It's currently just the wooden superstructure. I'm going to need to do some repairs and reshaping before finishing the exterior, then I'll have to construct a lot of hand-made fittings for the interior so it's historically accurate.

Is discussion on that interesting/appropriate for this thread?

It's a dollhouse: http://i.imgur.com/RRaAPHK.jpg

Plank up the sides and then rig a mast to the top.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

Plank up the sides and then rig a mast to the top.

Make a hole in one of the sides where a StuG or SU-122 can ambush from.

After making into a ship as well, that is.

E: I am about to celebrate my 1 year anniversary of placing an order at Luckymodels.com, without hearing a word from them. The site is still live. I kind of forgot I placed the order at all for half a year, but yeah, be warned. If it takes a year to backorder a common Tamiya kit, something is really wrong.

At least they have not disappeared, so here's to hoping for a refund at least.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 20, 2015

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
We went out of town for a birthday party this weekend, and thought you guys might be interested in seeing the model rail road layout at Copenhagen Central Station.

The station itself is from the 1920's, and is worth a look on its' own, but here is the display for the layout. It's located right next to the exit that used to be frequented by junkies. They've since been scared off by speakers playing very loud march music.

The rolling stock is of course local Danish locomotives/livery. The main station is based on Nęstved station.

There's a small loading dock, and cleaning/prep shed for the wagons next to it.

On the other side, there's a small village stop with a classic Danish medieval church in it. The tiny blue lights are sensors for the newest Danish ticketing innovation, which was horribly expensive to introduce, and took so long to develop, the technology has been superseded by something as simple as a smartphone app. But at least they're recognisable, which is neat.

Here are some small details from the layout. I'm guessing some of the companies sponsor the railroad, since the ads are for real life Danish companies. The McD ad actually shows the direction and distance to a McD in the Central Station itself.

You can put coins in different slots, and the different trains will do a couple of laps. The layout changes once in a while to reflect changing trains, architecture and technology, but some of my earliest memories of visiting Copenhagen (I live here now) is begging my parents to put coins in the model railroad. I'm also completely amazed at the fact that it doesn't get vandalised all the time.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 20, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Speaking of miniature railroads, have you guys heard of a place in Germany called Miniatur Wunderland? This place is crazy; massive model railroad, cars that drive on the roads, boats that motor around the water, planes that take off! I'd love to see this place in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACkmg3Y64_s

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Speaking of miniature railroads, have you guys heard of a place in Germany called Miniatur Wunderland? This place is crazy; massive model railroad, cars that drive on the roads, boats that motor around the water, planes that take off! I'd love to see this place in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACkmg3Y64_s

Yes, and if me and the wife ever go near Hamburg on vacation, she'll have to put up with being dragged there.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Throbbing blob posted:

We went out of town for a birthday party this weekend, and thought you guys might be interested in seeing the model rail road layout at Copenhagen Central Station.

The station itself is from the 1920's, and is worth a look on its' own, but here is the display for the layout. It's located right next to the exit that used to be frequented by junkies. They've since been scared off by speakers playing very loud march music.

The rolling stock is of course local Danish locomotives/livery. The main station is based on Nęstved station.

There's a small loading dock, and cleaning/prep shed for the wagons next to it.

On the other side, there's a small village stop with a classic Danish medieval church in it. The tiny blue lights are sensors for the newest Danish ticketing innovation, which was horribly expensive to introduce, and took so long to develop, the technology has been superseded by something as simple as a smartphone app. But at least they're recognisable, which is neat.

Here are some small details from the layout. I'm guessing some of the companies sponsor the railroad, since the ads are for real life Danish companies. The McD ad actually shows the direction and distance to a McD in the Central Station itself.

You can put coins in different slots, and the different trains will do a couple of laps. The layout changes once in a while to reflect changing trains, architecture and technology, but some of my earliest memories of visiting Copenhagen (I live here now) is begging my parents to put coins in the model railroad. I'm also completely amazed at the fact that it doesn't get vandalised all the time.

That's neat!

This summer at work, when almost the entire office was on vacation, a bunch of us who remained took a long lunch and checked out the biggest model railroad of Sweden, which happens to be just a kilometer or two from where I work. It is huge. Like, 40 x15 meter huge, and they're planning on adding about a third of that:

Basically it is a recreation of the neighbouring towns in the 60's i believe, with some events such as a forest fire represented. Here's a video of a six minute drive through the tracks. Be warned to turn down your speakers reeeeally low, or cut off the sound completely:

http://www.hmjf.se/index.php/videobloggen.html

The railway is managed from a separate room, where I could count at least two dozen computer screens from outside. It's not the neatest build I've seen, but the size of it is pretty cool, and they seem to be constantly building houses and stuff.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 20, 2015

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

AlphaDog posted:

I'm building a 1/72 Airfix Typhoon to go with my Fw-190. The decals on the 190 went on really smoothly with just water, but the instrument panel decal on the Typhoon didn't really stick. What's a good thing to do to make them stick better? There's several types of stuff for decals and I'm a bit lost.

Looks amazing though!

Sup Typhoon buddy :hfive: I had the exact same problem with the instrument panel. A setting solution like microsol or decalfix will soften the decal and help it conform to stupidly shaped surfaces like that one. I've been using decalfix and it seems to work pretty well.
That particular decal is barely even visible if you have the pilot in the cockpit, too.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

Basically it is a recreation of the neighbouring towns in the 60's i believe, with some events such as a forest fire represented. Here's a video of a six minute drive through the tracks. Be warned to turn down your speakers reeeeally low, or cut off the sound completely:

http://www.hmjf.se/index.php/videobloggen.html

The railway is managed from a separate room, where I could count at least two dozen computer screens from outside. It's not the neatest build I've seen, but the size of it is pretty cool, and they seem to be constantly building houses and stuff.

That looks great! I really like the trees they've used. They look more realistic (and expensive) than most model trees.

Edit: bearing in mind I usually see wargaming terrain.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 20, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Email/offer from Model Expo right now. Pretty interesting deal!

-----------------------------

WANT TO BUILD A MODEL FOR FREE?

Here's how

Buy any Model Shipways, Model Airways or Model Trailways kit at a 50% discount. (Buy more than one if you like.) Pay for it now. When you finish the model, we will give you full credit for the price you paid... every cent, except shipping. All we ask is that you take photos of your finished model for us to use for advertising purposes. We'll post your photos on our website and Facebook and other social media, giving you full credit for the build. As soon as we get the photos with a copy of this email and your invoice, we will issue you a store credit for the entire amount of the kit. The credit will not expire. You can use it any time for anything we sell.

Use Offer Code FREEBUILD
(Click the Offer Code above to enter our website and activate the 50% off.)
Special offer is good through September 27, 2015
Back orders are OK.
If the kit you want is currently out of stock, we will ship it ASAP and will still honor the 50% discount.

More good news

The 50% discount we're offering on kits is also good for everything you else in your order- tools, paint, glue or other accessories.
The Rules... how to get full credit for the price of your kit:

Place your order no later than Sunday, September 27th. Order today for the best selection.
Finish your model within 12 months and send us 4 photos along with our invoice and a copy of this email. Digital photos in jpg. format are preferred.
Spread the word. Tell friends and family about this special offer so they can take advantage too. Be a friend and mentor to new modelers.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

The Locator posted:

Email/offer from Model Expo right now. Pretty interesting deal!

-----------------------------

WANT TO BUILD A MODEL FOR FREE?

Here's how

Buy any Model Shipways, Model Airways or Model Trailways kit at a 50% discount. (Buy more than one if you like.) Pay for it now. When you finish the model, we will give you full credit for the price you paid... every cent, except shipping. All we ask is that you take photos of your finished model for us to use for advertising purposes. We'll post your photos on our website and Facebook and other social media, giving you full credit for the build. As soon as we get the photos with a copy of this email and your invoice, we will issue you a store credit for the entire amount of the kit. The credit will not expire. You can use it any time for anything we sell.

Use Offer Code FREEBUILD
(Click the Offer Code above to enter our website and activate the 50% off.)
Special offer is good through September 27, 2015
Back orders are OK.
If the kit you want is currently out of stock, we will ship it ASAP and will still honor the 50% discount.

More good news

The 50% discount we're offering on kits is also good for everything you else in your order- tools, paint, glue or other accessories.
The Rules... how to get full credit for the price of your kit:

Place your order no later than Sunday, September 27th. Order today for the best selection.
Finish your model within 12 months and send us 4 photos along with our invoice and a copy of this email. Digital photos in jpg. format are preferred.
Spread the word. Tell friends and family about this special offer so they can take advantage too. Be a friend and mentor to new modelers.

This looks like a great excuse for the next crap tank.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Crotch Fruit posted:

This looks like a great excuse for the next crap tank.

The cheapest kits that qualify are these two (the offer is for Model Shipways, Model Trailways, and Model Airways kits):

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS1457

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS1458

Both of these are $70, so at 50% off they are $35 + shipping, and while they appear fairly basic, they are not 'simple' builds like the craptank, and people are taking months to make them.\

It's a great offer if you were considering something from those lines anyway, but it's probably not something that would work for craptank.

The cheapest Model Airways kit is the Wright Flyer at $150:

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MA1020

The cheapest Model Trailways kit is the Doctor Buggy at $120:

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS6003

Personally, I'd be happy to do the Longboat (I already have this kit) or the Pinnace, but I think it would have very low participation, and require 3-4 months since the whole wood boat thing would be new to almost everyone.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
So went to the NM State Fair yesterday and had enough time to run into the permanent display for one of the local clubs.

Thought ya'll might enjoy the pics.

I got some pictures, not the greatest admittedly, through the glass dividers. I tried to show them in order from left to right.

Here is the one they have setup in their actual club house, just a bit larger.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Tindjin posted:

Here is the one they have setup in their actual club house, just a bit larger.

Wow. I'm impressed that a local model RR club has the financial ability to maintain a place like that.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Most serious train hobbyists are probably doing pretty well financially, considering the hobby can be super expensive. I was looking through a Walthers catalog the other day, and the prices on high-quality individual train cars can be super expensive. Not to mention the amount spent on huge layouts.

The guy who owned the local train store when I was a kid had is own private layout in his basement, and it was absolutely huge, and impeccably done. I wouldn't be surprised if he spent over $100,000 on it over the course of his life.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Err hold on, I went to their site to check on something and realized that picture is of the Colorado model train museum. This one does have a big setup but not quite that big. They have money from being a really old club and having a few guys leaving money to them in their wills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So what you are saying is that I need to become good friends with a model railroader and worm my way into his will. :)

I finished the ratlines on the starboard side tonight. So... umm.. half way done with knot tying extravaganza.