Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FredMSloniker posted:

I've managed to accumulate over $9 in Googlebucks. Anything I should look into buying? Should I hold out for $10?
Google occasionally holds sales on games where you can get a bunch of good titles for $1 each, so probably hold out for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Why did no one tell me Shufflepuck Cantina was an Android game??? Finally I can spend hours every day in a knock-off Mos Eisley talking to knock off Han Solo

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
There's a new Star Trek game out on the store

Star Trek:Wrath of Gems

:ughh:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It's neat that Amazon has that "free for real" section, but I kinda miss checking them every day to see what new freebie they added, even if it was some lame game. I hope they still do the monthly "here is a poo poo load of free apps, including some stuff you know".

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I've got several flights and business trips coming up for pretty much all of October, two of them transatlantic. I need some kind of game to keep me occupied on the flight with my Nexus 7. It needs to be ideally something that I can sink hours into without needing internet access (either because the app can't phone home, or I won't be able to look up wiki's without a data connection).

My first thought would have been the Beamdog enhanced editions of Baldurs Gate 1/2 and Icewind Dale, but those are all games I already own on Steam and would rather play there. Same with the Shadowrun games and Xcom.

I've got 8 bucks of Google Survey credit sitting on my account. Anyone have anything else they'd recommend for an 11 hour flight?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I can't verify it doesn't need an internet connection but there's always Knights of the Old Republic.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

big mean giraffe posted:

I can't verify it doesn't need an internet connection but there's always Knights of the Old Republic.

Played it like four times completely through (once already on tablet) :smith:

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Drone posted:

I've got 8 bucks of Google Survey credit sitting on my account. Anyone have anything else they'd recommend for an 11 hour flight?

Valium.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I would sure hope Final Fantasy Tactics doesn't phone home, so that might be an easy choice you can sink plenty of hours in.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ragequit posted:

I would sure hope Final Fantasy Tactics doesn't phone home, so that might be an easy choice you can sink plenty of hours in.

Unfortunately all of the Square FF games do, as far as I know.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

Unfortunately all of the Square FF games do, as far as I know.

Haha why? Oh God why. I was tempted to get Tactics when my Google credit got to that point.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ragequit posted:

Haha why? Oh God why. I was tempted to get Tactics when my Google credit got to that point.

Partly to stop cheaters from modding the game, but mostly to keep people from being able to download the game somewhere and sideload it instead of paying $25 for a $5-$10 port of a game.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kheldarn posted:

Partly to stop cheaters from modding the game, but mostly to keep people from being able to download the game somewhere and sideload it instead of paying $25 for a $5-$10 port of a game.

Sheesh. Fortunately it's only $15, but that's still a bummer. Guess that suggestion is out then.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I played ff tactics, ff5, and twewy on my ipad without Internet. I'm not sure if they added always connect to the android, but i kinda doubt it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ragequit posted:

Sheesh. Fortunately it's only $15, but that's still a bummer. Guess that suggestion is out then.

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with Squeenix's prices, but there are those who do. :shrug:

Shwqa posted:

I played ff tactics, ff5, and twewy on my ipad without Internet. I'm not sure if they added always connect to the android, but i kinda doubt it.

Oh. Well, that's good to know.

Also, happy birthday, Shwqa!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Oh. Well, that's good to know.

Also, happy birthday, Shwqa!

Oh god its spreading :tinfoil:

Also thanks!

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!
King of Dragon Pass is the best ~$10 game on Android. It has no iap, requires no Internet (after it boots once to download extra data) and is awesome. Everyone should play it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

GTA Chinatown Wars is probably a safe bet.

Does 80 Days phone home? I know there's a minor, passive multiplayer, but I don't think that's required to play.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

GTA Chinatown Wars is probably a safe bet.

Does 80 Days phone home? I know there's a minor, passive multiplayer, but I don't think that's required to play.

I don't know that I've played it without ANY connection, but I've definitely never touched the multiplayer and made it 'round the world a few times.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You can run it entirely without Internet.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Drone posted:

I've played through Monument Valley almost exclusively on flights. However, the total of the game and its expansions may not be much more than 11 hours of content if you have excellent spacial relationship skills.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Rastor posted:

I've played through Monument Valley almost exclusively on flights. However, the total of the game and its expansions may not be much more than 11 hours of content if you have excellent spacial relationship skills.

I don't recall Monument Valley and the expansion being much more than 3 hours worth of game.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

OK, maybe even 11 hours was optimistic. But I highly recommend it despite the short length of time it will consume to play through.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Applied to the uprising game as Witt Alkurah.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Amazon Underground is sometimes hit or miss... some of the 'absolutely free' games still have ads. or making them free ruins the balance (games where you can buy an infinite amount of currency for free)

But there are a couple of gems from yesteryears... Full versions of Puzzle Retreat, Threes, etc.

When people start putting new games on there, embracing whatever the 'pay per minute' model is from out of the gate, that's when the idea will really start taking off... I hope.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Dodoman posted:

There's a new Star Trek game out on the store

Star Trek:Wrath of Gems

:ughh:

From what I've seen so far, It's actually a good MPG.

Edit: It's a little buggy.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 21, 2015

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
I'm buying Sproggiwood once my play credit hits $10.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Farquar posted:

Very, very good investment.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I also recommend King of Dragon Pass. It is a good game.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Farquar posted:

That's what I did, and I was going to suggest that until I saw your post.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Another place to spend Google Survey money: While not a game, the Pandora Radio app for Android allows you to purchase Pandora One's new 24-hour day passes through IAP, if you want commercial-free Pandora for a day.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Alehkhs posted:

Another place to spend Google Survey money: While not a game, the Pandora Radio app for Android allows you to purchase Pandora One's new 24-hour day passes through IAP, if you want commercial-free Pandora for a day.

Those passes better be pretty darn cheap, considering I'm paying $5 for an entire month without.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
New Humble Bundle:

Trouserheart
Real Boxing Premium
Governor of Poker Premium

Beat the average (currently < $5):

Great Little War Game 2 (not to be confused with Great Big War Game, which was the second game in the series)
Tiny Guardians
Desert Golfing
more to come...

I'm not sure interested in much of this... I'm a little more intrigued now that I noticed it's GLWG 2 rather than GBWG... The muscle shading in Real Boxing would surely give me nightmares, but I hear Desert Golfing is a great time waster.

I've already got Tiny Guardians, and it's a pretty fun Tower-Defense-ish game. Instead of placing towers that go along a path, you have a dude who moves across the map and you station units around them. I liked it, but it was one of those things that got tough as balls.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

FredMSloniker posted:

Those passes better be pretty darn cheap, considering I'm paying $5 for an entire month without.

The $5/ month is the better deal, if you use it. A $0.99 day-pass is good if you just want it for a party or something similar.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
GTAs III, Vice City and Chinatown Wars are 40% off on Google Play for a limited time. Max Payne is also 33% off, and you can still grab GTA San Andreas (which had been on sale for the past week or so) at 30% off for the next few days.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

um yeah, you can use your goog play balance for most anything on the play store, not just games or apps. one thing you CAN'T use it on is nexus devices, so don't tell all your relatives to get you google play cards for xmas if you want to buy a nexus phone

don't ask me how i know this :sweatdrop:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I had GTA III on my iphone, but i found the controls way too awkward. Though that may have been because it was a 4. My s6 has a much better screen and I've been having no problems with Future Fight which uses basically the same control scheme.

Though shooting was really loving hard I remember.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

twistedmentat posted:

Though shooting was really loving hard I remember.

I think the touchscreen shooting controls in every GTA mobile port have ended up being generally mediocre. While San Andreas did add tap to target to try alleviate some of the difficulty I don't think made it to the other games though.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 22, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I've got just over £9 in Surveybux, any recommended games?

I do like RPGs and am tempted by some of the Final Fantasys, but which ones are good ports?

edit: I am tempted to just buy one of the good DS emulators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

um yeah, you can use your goog play balance for most anything on the play store, not just games or apps. one thing you CAN'T use it on is nexus devices, so don't tell all your relatives to get you google play cards for xmas if you want to buy a nexus phone

don't ask me how i know this :sweatdrop:

Why would you not be able to?