Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Also it's worth mentioning that no matter which of the three trees (if you decide to just choose one or two) you focus on, you should be trying to use the other two branches. They synergize in different ways, even when you don't skill up the other trees. Alchemy items (particularly the t3 and t2 versions) are a bit difficult to initiallyacquire in this game but once you have them, you should be using them liberally. And signs can always be used to create openings (or for use against specific monsters, i.e. Yrden against specters). Experiment.

Also, just a little thing. The game likes to use Alcohest instead of the far more common Dwarven Spirit to replenish alchemy items, so it's worth stashing a pile of Alcohest because when you get t2 alchemy items, you're going to need it. This is a very minor point but it annoyed me so you might as well know.

csm141 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

How the hell and where do I get the relic under the doctors house in Far Cry 3? I just finished the mushrooms in the deep quest and am worried I hosed myself out of it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

juliuspringle posted:

How the hell and where do I get the relic under the doctors house in Far Cry 3? I just finished the mushrooms in the deep quest and am worried I hosed myself out of it.
There's a cave under the house, you'll get there in a plot mission later.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Kruller posted:

Geralt is almost pure offense, and the things you fight WILL kill you if you try to just tank them, so being a dodgy little poo poo who hits from behind and doesn't just bull charge right in is the right way to go.

Enemies riposte if you try to push a long sword combo on them from the front. Hit them a few times then dodge around and hit them from the back.

Chief Savage Man posted:

You can't just keep attacking from the front, no matter what attack. Attack enemies from the side or back (using dodge to position), use signs to force their guard down (axii is effective against people and stunned enemies can even be autokilled sometimes), dodge their attacks then hit them right after, so on and so forth. As far as archers go, there's a skill in combat that'll let you deflect their arrows back at them which I found to be very effective in the beginning of the game but then I replaced it as I refocused on alchemy later on.

Thanks, this is all very helpful.

I fully intend to make maximum use of signs and potions once I level to that point, but I wanted to get at least a minor in How Not To Get Stabbed before I started my Combat Drugs And Pyromania double major.

Chief Savage Man posted:

Also, just a little thing. The game likes to use Alcohest instead of the far more common Dwarven Spirit to replenish alchemy items, so it's worth stashing a pile of Alcohest because when you get t2 alchemy items, you're going to need it. This is a very minor point but it annoyed me so you might as well know.

Cool, I'll do that.

One last question. Is money something I need to be stingy with in the long term? I see crafting recipes costing upwards of a hundred WitcherBucks and the quests at least early in the game are earning me a miserable 20 pesos, which doesn't even pay for all the bread I had to stuff into my face during a random bandit fight. I even accepted a little girl's future dowry because I felt like I couldn't afford to be generous.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
No, money becomes more plentiful as you're able to do more of the undiscovered locations. By the end, I was selling piles of magic swords and the merchants were running out of money.

Also you'll get a good chunk the first time you go to Novigrad. Look for the Vivaldi Bank in Heirarch Square to cash in the useless foriegn currencies you pick up.

csm141 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 17, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Yet another MGS 5 tip: There is sort of a point-of-no-return in the late game, Mission 43 41 (edit:gently caress, looked it up and I was wrong about which mission starts the chain of events). Without spoiling what happens I'd say it would probably be a good idea to do any side-ops, redo any missions you want to get a higher rank on, etc prior to doing Mission 43 41.

For those that want a more specific explanation it's a late game spoiler but you won't be able to use Quiet after this at all, unless you're on PC, then you can mod her back in if you want.

At any rate it's a "gotcha" that I wish I had known about.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 18, 2015

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It's more of a gotcha because it's the one mission you are not allowed to leave once you start and unless you know what's going to happen ahead of time you're probably not going to be prepared and will have to airdrop any kind of changes you'd want to make to your inventory/camo on the fly which is very annoying.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Anything for Life Is Strange, without spoilers, if possible?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Poison Mushroom posted:

Keep an eye on Alyssa and keep her safe.

Be nice to dogs.

You can hide evidence of your actions just by rewinding time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Poison Mushroom posted:

There is a moment at the very end of the second episode that's a huge wake-up call for you to actually pay attention to the things you say & do to other people. If you're used to the Telltale model of "events will loop back around to the same outcome regardless of my choices" then it can come as quite a shock.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It's more of a gotcha because it's the one mission you are not allowed to leave once you start and unless you know what's going to happen ahead of time you're probably not going to be prepared and will have to airdrop any kind of changes you'd want to make to your inventory/camo on the fly which is very annoying.

I don't want to mouse over the spoiler above you in case it ruins any story stuff (not that I'm suuuuuper invested in MGS 5's weird loose story, but still) but can you give me an idea of what kind of gear you want to bring into that mission to be prepared? I've definitely been burned by surprise boss/miniboss fights and not having the proper type of weapon with me, so I'm not thrilled about the idea of going into one with the wrong gear if I can't leave it once I'm in it.

Just a vague tip like "bring a machine gun and a rocket launcher" would be good, I don't need to know why I'll need it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Lots of rockets and explosives. The Battle Suit probably wouldn't hurt either.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't want to mouse over the spoiler above you in case it ruins any story stuff (not that I'm suuuuuper invested in MGS 5's weird loose story, but still) but can you give me an idea of what kind of gear you want to bring into that mission to be prepared? I've definitely been burned by surprise boss/miniboss fights and not having the proper type of weapon with me, so I'm not thrilled about the idea of going into one with the wrong gear if I can't leave it once I'm in it.

Just a vague tip like "bring a machine gun and a rocket launcher" would be good, I don't need to know why I'll need it.

Bring the cluster homing launcher and upgrade it as far as you can. Anti-Tank mines are useful too. The lethal ones, not the emags.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ainsley McTree posted:

Don't forget that you can get new weapons and gear airdropped in in an emergency if need be. Saved my rear on more than one occasion.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Don't forget that you can get new weapons and gear airdropped in in an emergency if need be. Saved my rear on more than one occasion.

Actually those will come in automatically over the course of the mission anyway.

edit: One other thing for MGSV in-general; You can play as anyone on your Combat Team if you want so try seeing what Knock does for them. You'll do it once, and then never ever want to try it twice.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 18, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Ainsley McTree posted:

They're confused and thinking of another mission, the one I mentioned starts a chain leading to the one their talking about, Mission 45. For Mission 43 you don't have to worry about load-out at all, but when you do get to Mission 45 then yeah, you'll want a good rocket launcher, battle dress, mines, etc. When I did that mission I had my basic load-out and it was a major pain-in-the-rear end, yes.

For those wondering Mission 43 specifically is the one where you investigate the mutated parasite strain in the Quarantine strut. After doing that Quiet leaves, unless you have the butterfly emblem equipped or some poo poo apparently, but that might lock out the rest of her stuff, I dunno.

Edit: Wait, gently caress, I'm wrong. I looked it up and it's Mission 41 that starts the chain. I don't remember but the game might railroad you into doing Mission 43 after doing 41 and that triggers the rest.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 18, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Weapon development in MGSV is doing my head in. I'm many, many hours in and have barely developed anything, getting most of my missions done (quite easily, too) with the tranq pistol and a tranq sniper rifle plus the occasional decoy or grenade. There's just too much stuff to develop and my decision capability shuts down. Usually what I do in these situations is buy the cheapest upgrades available as long as my money lasts but I feel like in this game that would lead to a lot of redundancy, plus there's the general cost of just playing the game to consider.

Thing is, I remember that I had the same issue in MGS4, ignored the whole weapon system there, and eventually ran into a situation where that totally hosed me over, so I'd rather avoid that. So: what do I develop / what kind of weapons will I absolutely need at some point?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Weapon development in MGSV is doing my head in. I'm many, many hours in and have barely developed anything, getting most of my missions done (quite easily, too) with the tranq pistol and a tranq sniper rifle plus the occasional decoy or grenade. There's just too much stuff to develop and my decision capability shuts down. Usually what I do in these situations is buy the cheapest upgrades available as long as my money lasts but I feel like in this game that would lead to a lot of redundancy, plus there's the general cost of just playing the game to consider.

Thing is, I remember that I had the same issue in MGS4, ignored the whole weapon system there, and eventually ran into a situation where that totally hosed me over, so I'd rather avoid that. So: what do I develop / what kind of weapons will I absolutely need at some point?

You will absolutely need a good missile launcher, and a powerful lethal sniper rifle and assault rifle would be useful too, but beyond that you can just go with whatever looks fun.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

riot smg is the best secondary non lethal. burkov pistol fully upgraded to silenced non lethal is great too. WU is too slow imo but if you're good at aiming it doesn't matter

if you used quiet go with an AR or shotgun and the cluster missile launcher

if you use d walker rolll with silenced sniper and the semi auto grenade rifle

with dog or horse you can do whatever.

everything else is just for fun. :3 water gun :3

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr Snofeld posted:

You will absolutely need a good missile launcher, and a powerful lethal sniper rifle and assault rifle would be useful too, but beyond that you can just go with whatever looks fun.

There's never a time you actually need a lethal sniper rifle. The Tranquilizer Rifle can put down anything short of a Riot Suit (bulletproof vests don't protect limbs), and there's a wide range of tools to use to put even them out cold. Not including just running up and wrestling them into the ground. That said, it's worth researching the M-2000D as it has a Tranquilizer variant lurking down its upgrade path. An Assault Rifle's well worth having as a panic weapon, because sometimes poo poo just goes sideways and you need something to just hose soldiers down with. The UN one's better than the AM4 starting rifle, and with the three-stage 2-8x scope, you have a pseudo-sniper rifle for anything that needs popping while still being able to aim at anything right in your face.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I'm like 30 hours into MGSV, and I think I've intentionally shot like 5 people to death (not counting tank drivers). Putting everyone to sleep is way safer than you'd think.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sell your precious materials. Very few things use them and you probably have a stockpile of several thousand doing nothing. That's millions of GMP right there. If you're not doing FOB stuff then all the placement weapons are entirely pointless as well. You can also sell all but one or two of your vehicles for combat deployment.

If you're like me your operating costs are just too drat high to really get anything back from missions so sell all the useless poo poo you probably have collecting virtual dust and buy away.

Pneub posted:

I'm like 30 hours into MGSV, and I think I've intentionally shot like 5 people to death (not counting tank drivers). Putting everyone to sleep is way safer than you'd think.

But so is just murdering a base since there are a finite number of enemies.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Prior to getting your russian translator (Get Down! command) was the only time I had to really kill dudes as I didn't know you could knock guys out, wake them up while they are on their bellies, and hold them up. Also during the first few Missile missions when there's very little I could do to save the drivers.

Another thing I found out which would have been helpful early was that you could grab folks as they are rounding a corner. Finally the cardboard box gets me in trouble more often than anything and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

al-azad posted:

Sell your precious materials. Very few things use them and you probably have a stockpile of several thousand doing nothing. That's millions of GMP right there. If you're not doing FOB stuff then all the placement weapons are entirely pointless as well. You can also sell all but one or two of your vehicles for combat deployment.

Where do you sell stuff from? I haven't seen that in the base menus.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lord Banana posted:

Where do you sell stuff from? I haven't seen that in the base menus.

Resources, click on one and it'll let you sell'em. And yes, hock your Precious Metals as they don't really get used for much.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Prior to getting your russian translator (Get Down! command) was the only time I had to really kill dudes as I didn't know you could knock guys out, wake them up while they are on their bellies, and hold them up. Also during the first few Missile missions when there's very little I could do to save the drivers.

Another thing I found out which would have been helpful early was that you could grab folks as they are rounding a corner. Finally the cardboard box gets me in trouble more often than anything and I'm perfectly fine with that.

I can only wonder what goes through the mind of the driver when you grab a Tank or APC with a Fulton. One minute they're sitting on the side of the road, panning the turret back-and-forth and suddenly everything's going horizontaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLlllllll.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Does the game reward you for going non-lethally? Are there any times where you absolutely have to kill guards?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
There are some boss battles where when you get them the first time, non-lethal really isn't an option. I've put about 100 hours in and have 67 kills after having a couple missions go real bad, and a few where to just get through them easily I've killed a guard/vehicle here or there. There's a lot of options for how to murder people, but plenty of options for non-lethal, too. I know there's some kind of vague reward for going non-lethally, but I haven't gotten there yet, the biggest bonus is that it's a lot easier to fill your base with dudes.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

al-azad posted:

But so is just murdering a base since there are a finite number of enemies.

There's really no wrong way to go as long as you're petting D-Dog and telling him he's a good dog (seriously, it makes his rank skyrocket, do it while you're waiting for choppers).

e:

Captain Novolin posted:

There are some boss battles where when you get them the first time, non-lethal really isn't an option. I've put about 100 hours in and have 67 kills after having a couple missions go real bad, and a few where to just get through them easily I've killed a guard/vehicle here or there. There's a lot of options for how to murder people, but plenty of options for non-lethal, too. I know there's some kind of vague reward for going non-lethally, but I haven't gotten there yet, the biggest bonus is that it's a lot easier to fill your base with dudes.

Also, guards don't really act as alarmed as they should about seeing their buds sleeping face down on the sidewalk / falling asleep mid-step. If you're good with head shots, sometimes you can knock someone out in the open, and pick his friends off 1-2 at a time as they casually jog up to see what's the deal with the growing pile of sleeping dudes.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 20, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pneub posted:

Also, guards don't really act as alarmed as they should about seeing their buds sleeping face down on the sidewalk / falling asleep mid-step. If you're good with head shots, sometimes you can knock someone out in the open, and pick his friends off 1-2 at a time as they casually jog up to see what's the deal with the growing pile of sleeping dudes.

That's the bad way to do it. Shoot them all in the arm or chest instead, because if you do it fast enough they won't get past "hey, what's wrong?" before falling asleep themselves. It's a hilarious conga-line of knockouts.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

Does the game reward you for going non-lethally? Are there any times where you absolutely have to kill guards?

Not really. You get codenames to customize your emblem based on how you play. So knifing people will unlock something while ghosting three missions in a row will unlock another. It's not like the past games where a perfect run on the hardest difficulty unlocks a bunch of OP poo poo for a replay.

S rank is based entirely on points. Taking out a guard lethally or not is a "neutralization" and worth the same amount of points as are headshots and tactical takedowns (CQC and hold ups). You get a huge point bonus for no kills/no alerts but it's also eclipsed by eliminating everyone while doing the mission really fast. The only thing that really subtracts points is getting a combat alert.

Before you get the cargo fulton you'll have a few missions where you must destroy vehicles. But if the game says "you have to murder this guy to complete the mission" you can extract them as well. Hell, if the game tells you anything there's probably a way to subvert it. "Tail the target but don't interact wiYOU"RE GONNA EXTRACT HIM? ROGER THAT."

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Any time the game tells you to tail someone extracting them is a perfectly valid course of action, bar maybe one mission where it makes taking out your final target harder (but it tells you where he is so it's super easy to just roll up there from the start and get an easy s-rank)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

... I never looked at the sales prices. I left tons of weapons standing around in the wilderness because it costs 5000 GMP to extract one and I never had any use for them, but they sell for almost twice that at least! I'm stripping those outposts bare from now on.

Got like 50000 biological material as well. And holy poo poo, Black Carrots are a cash crop. They're everywhere and they sell for 1000 a pop.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's the bad way to do it. Shoot them all in the arm or chest instead, because if you do it fast enough they won't get past "hey, what's wrong?" before falling asleep themselves. It's a hilarious conga-line of knockouts.

Yeah, but then you have to run all over the place to Fulton everybody. Who needs that?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pneub posted:

Yeah, but then you have to run all over the place to Fulton everybody. Who needs that?

Your base. Your base always needs more guys :colbert:.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your base. Your base always needs more guys :colbert:.

Haha, for me it was the opposite. The game kept throwing like a dozen volunteers at me after every mission, up to the point where I had like thirty of them sitting in the waiting room simply because I didn't have the resources to expand the base as fast as I was getting new dudes. So on that note, probably a helpful tip: Try to research the Cargo Fulton as quickly as possible, because I only got it relatively late and that apparently really put me behind the expected curve on gathering the resources required for base expansion.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My base is full to the brim. I've almost got more guys in the waiting room than in any one unit. Fuel is becoming a big bottleneck.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

My base is full to the brim. I've almost got more guys in the waiting room than in any one unit. Fuel is becoming a big bottleneck.

I might be playing wrong but even with my base full, I still extract everybody I see. The game is real smart about automatically putting new dudes where they're most useful, and firing the humps with no skills. So even though my base is full (1400 people lol) I still extract everybody I can because some of them are gonna be s or a++ ranks who boost my MB levels and let me research cool poo poo like wormhole fultons or the infinite silence tranq pistol. Keep in mind also that as you upgrade your base, you get room for more dudes, and you'll eventually get a free FOB which doubles your capacity; doesn't hurt to have a big waiting room, you're not paying them a salary or anything.

I know the game is all about freedom allegedly but I feel like it really does expect you to be nonlethal and Fulton everybody to progress. I honestly think that if you kill anyone you're making a mistake.

Not that you need high MB teams or cool endgame items to progress but...they are really cool and fun

The nonlethal assault rifle is really effective, don't underestimate it. Even with body armor and helmets it takes dudes down pretty quick. And you can give it sniper rifle scopes to make it super OP. The final upgrade has a silencer but it takes a lot to unlock it. Something like a 57 Intel team.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 20, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

you'll eventually get a free FOB which doubles your capacity
Oh ho ho ho! That I did not know. I think I'm pretty close to that point as well.

I'm extracing pretty much only A ranks and above anymore but keep everyone in the waiting room. If the FOB increases capacity that much, some below-B ranks in the wild that would otherwise get left in a ditch can count themselves lucky soon!

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone give me a rundown of how the FOB invasion stuff works in Phantom Pain? Is there a way to have FOBs but not deal with the invasion stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Danger Mahoney posted:

Can someone give me a rundown of how the FOB invasion stuff works in Phantom Pain? Is there a way to have FOBs but not deal with the invasion stuff?

Not to my knowledge; you can even be invaded while offline, the only way to be safe is to not have a FOB.

I'll say this though; I've had a FOB for a few weeks now and I honestly don't think I've been attacked even once (despite supporting random pubbies and defending their FOBS). The benefits of having a FOB (double capacity, sending out 4 dispatches instead of 2) far outweigh the potential risks.

Also defending is outrageously easy. All you need is the HAIL grenade launcher; it has semi auto fire and a range finder which tells you exactly where the grenades will land. Just perch yourself on a high point and wait for the enemy to get spotted, then rain hell from above and stunlock them til they die. I honestly feel a little bad doing this because i don't know how you're supposed to counter it, but you do get something like 600k gmp for it so I don't feel that bad.