Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm sure glad I scrolled right by the last couples of pages while pooping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

That was weeks ago in August.

PSN gets new poo poo every week.
Ah yes who can forget all the backwards compatible titles the PS4 has gotten

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

mamelon posted:

My Wii U is eating all my wifi.

Is there a way to temporarily disable the connection, especially when turned off? I remember an option on the Wii let you do that, but I feel like the answer is "delete internet connection and add it back later."

e: note, I have a lovely wifi plan

Unplug your wii u

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
But it doesn't download stuff all the time, right?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper posted:

That was weeks ago in August.

PSN gets new poo poo every week.

eShope gets new poo poo every week too, just not always an N64 game, two weeks ago was Mario Golf, last week was Tecmo Bowl. This week was some weird Japanese poo poo you're probably into.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PSN only gets PS1/PS2 classics (which dont work with PS4 yet) when a third party decides to care like From Software, because Sony definitely doesnt give one, two, or even three fucks

My problem with eShop is that Nintendo trickles their own stuff out over such a long period of time. it'll all get there eventually but the waiting is the worst part. With PSN I have no expectations of ever seeing a PS2 title I want show up. Steambot Chronicles aint showing up there, Shadow Hearts aint.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quest For Glory II posted:

PSN only gets PS1/PS2 classics (which dont work with PS4 yet) when a third party decides to care like From Software, because Sony definitely doesnt give one, two, or even three fucks

My problem with eShop is that Nintendo trickles their own stuff out over such a long period of time. it'll all get there eventually but the waiting is the worst part. With PSN I have no expectations of ever seeing a PS2 title I want show up. Steambot Chronicles aint showing up there, Shadow Hearts aint.

Part of its probably that N64 is coded on despair and madness, so its probably a time-eating slog to get them into an emulated state.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm more thinking about Nintendo DS and Wii Classics, in the latter's case there's no reason why Nintendo should make people wait months for new ones when they have so many to put up from their own catalog. With NDS I can maybe think there's emulation issues to work out per title. But gimme them Wii Classics!!!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And some GameCube classics for fucks sake since we know it's completely compatible and they could even patch on controller support easily, is already been done.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

I said come in! posted:

My bad! I wasn't aware of that. Does it download stuff in the background while sleeping? I don't think my Wii U has ever done that, but maybe I have a setting turned off.

If your Wii U hasn't been sleeping with you for a year now it might be time for counseling.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

It's really just a matter of priorities for them.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/07/02/nintendo-explains-why-every-old-title-isnt-on-virtual-console/

They have to put a person in charge of porting each game to VC, checking to make sure it plays without any glitches, etc. They essentially have to re-playtest every game to put it on VC.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Excels posted:

It's really just a matter of priorities for them.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/07/02/nintendo-explains-why-every-old-title-isnt-on-virtual-console/

They have to put a person in charge of porting each game to VC, checking to make sure it plays without any glitches, etc. They essentially have to re-playtest every game to put it on VC.

Shouldn't be as much of an issue for Wii games though, they are hardware compatible. Testing for them should be very fast.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

greatn posted:

This week was some weird Japanese poo poo you're probably into.

I already got the special edition of Deep Crimson 2.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurtofan posted:

But it doesn't download stuff all the time, right?

Do you really need to download stuff the minute it goes online?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Two of my favorites. Everyone go play Secret of Evermore right now.

seconding this. SoE is underrated and incredible

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

Shouldn't be as much of an issue for Wii games though, they are hardware compatible. Testing for them should be very fast.

Testing is never fast. That's literally the point of testing. You test to remove doubt, and the only way to make testing faster is to make an assumption that something doesn't need to be tested. Which defeats the purpose of testing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fremry posted:

Testing is never fast. That's literally the point of testing. You test to remove doubt, and the only way to make testing faster is to make an assumption that something doesn't need to be tested. Which defeats the purpose of testing.

Not to mention that they can't just play the game to the end and call it a day, they have to go through trying to break it in every conceivable way possible to make sure it's stable.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fremry posted:

i'm pretty sure Wii Classics are literally a Wii ISO that runs in Wii U's Wii Mode. there's nothing to test other than "does it launch"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Ah yes, "does it launch," an aspect of a game that should definitely be rushed and not thoroughly tested.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's already been tested by the fact that, to my knowledge, there aren't any Wii discs that the WiiU cannot play.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's not an emulator so. There's nothing to test.

What they do have to do is put up screenshots, a trailer, the manual, etc. So maybe that's beyond their effort level.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Please don't work in QA.

On the other hand, do, so I don't have to fix any bugs (since they haven't been found). We'll just fix it in a patch after launch.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PS2 Classics are magnitudes harder to put out than Wii games on WiiU, and there are actually more than 10 of those.

e: Even though it's more effort than just plopping them in the eShop with no QA, other companies manage much more complex porting jobs with greater speed and quantity of releases. It's just down to VC related stuff being a very low priority for Nintendo.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 20, 2015

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

It's not an emulator so. There's nothing to test.

What they do have to do is put up screenshots, a trailer, the manual, etc. So maybe that's beyond their effort level.

Anytime you make change to any code, including new code to load an iso and support a new peripheral as an emulation of an older one, you run the risk of having issues. As Andipossess said, do not work in QA. The reason QA exists is to stop people who think like you from letting code be implemented.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Was anything said about Zelda at TGS? What happened to that game other then it got pushed to 2016? It sounds like the delay is significant, like late 2016. I was expecting it would be sometime in the winter or spring, in which case we should have seen something new by now.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Was anything said about Zelda at TGS? What happened to that game other then it got pushed to 2016? It sounds like the delay is significant, like late 2016. I was expecting it would be sometime in the winter or spring, in which case we should have seen something new by now.

Nintendo is never at TGS. And it was delayed because the Zelda team hasn't been able to keep a schedule for three generations now, and this is their first attempt at a true 3D open world on top of that.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Plenty of AAA publishers are doing just fine without QA, I'm sure Nintendo can get away with it as well.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Though speaking of QA, does Pandora's Tower still have that gamebreaking bug?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Motto posted:

PS2 Classics are magnitudes harder to put out than Wii games on WiiU, and there are actually more than 10 of those.

e: Even though it's more effort than just plopping them in the eShop with no QA, other companies manage much more complex porting jobs with greater speed and quantity of releases. It's just down to VC related stuff being a very low priority for Nintendo.

If you mean more recent titles getting ports and updates, that's due to the rise of middleware engines in the mid-00's. All they (mostly) need to do is compile it in the PS4/Xbone/PC version of the same engine (or at least the latest version of) and it'll stand a pretty decent chance of running without making GBS threads the bed immediately. Older games are coded on engines made specifically for those games and specifically for the console hardware they're released on, so the console's hardware has to be emulated on top of the game itself. It's not as bad for 8/16-bit 2D games (all that matters in the end is pixels on a screen after all), but early 3D is a geometrically more complex problem.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

and nintendo especially is constantly altering their technology, modifying it or replacing bits and pieces.

Most of the Wii U at its core uses similar stuff to GameCube, which was overclocked and became a Wii, then the Wii U just overclocks the Wii even further by putting a giant cooling unit inside.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Finally fired up Mario Maker. God drat is this game good. There are some awesome levels out there, especially if you follow twitch broadcasters that play a lot of platformers.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
May Kimishima Reign Eternal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_wyaHeJ-e8

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'll laugh if -amie becomes a standard feature in most Nintendo games. And also praise Kimishima.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think that may have not been his doing.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Motto posted:

I'll laugh if -amie becomes a standard feature in most Nintendo games. And also praise Kimishima.

rub mario's nose to make him blush.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Fremry posted:

Finally fired up Mario Maker. God drat is this game good. There are some awesome levels out there, especially if you follow twitch broadcasters that play a lot of platformers.

There are a lot of total dogshit levels too but I still love mario maker a lot.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

greatn posted:

I think that may have not been his doing.

He made a special request for it to be in SMTXFire Emblem because it proved to be a popular feature.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

The Taint Reaper posted:

He made a special request for it to be in SMTXFire Emblem because it proved to be a popular feature.

And you have a source on this?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

lol reaper no reaping!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Folt The Bolt posted:

And you have a source on this?

The tears of joy that shed from all the faces of the japanese gamers.

Also Atlus was apparently showing poo poo off to remind people that they're not just making persona 5 and to please buy their other games.

• Locked thread