Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Wasn't a novel I guess

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/440417.Genie?ac=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I am starting to become maybe infatuated with Leonardo Sciascia. I read a crime novel by him a couple years ago, The Day of the Owl, and it was pretty good, though I felt something was maybe lost in translation.

But more recently I read his novel To Each His Own, a collection of his short stories (The Wine Dark Sea), and now I'm reading Open Doors which is a novella that is both a meditation on fascism as well as on the death penalty, and all of these are just incredibly good. Looking forward to reading The Moro Affair next, which is not fictional at all but is his more journalistic account of the assassination of Aldo Moro.

Aside from Sciascia the only other Sicilian writer I have read is Giuseppe di Lampedusa who is also incredibly good (but did not write very much). I would love some other recommendations of Sicilian lit if you guys have any, especially more recent authors.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

This review of My Struggle Book 5 (which appears to cover contents of Book 6?) has me craving the end to this series, especially because of the void I feel having just finished Ferrante's Neapolitan series. The essay on Hitler, which I've only previously heard rumblings of, sounds so fascinating.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Smoking Crow posted:

I thought it was A Child Called It but that's a different book about terrible people

I read a Child Called It during my middle-school class and finished it in a few days. I remember liking it but I can't remember anything besides the general sensation of hopelessness and the It laughing (inside?) as he is forcefed soap (or oil?).

I can't remember anything from the next two books.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Bought Submission today.

Keen as hell.

Also tried to buy p book of My Brilliant Friend but no luck. Would like both that series and My Struggle in p.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

toanoradian posted:

I read a Child Called It during my middle-school class and finished it in a few days. I remember liking it but I can't remember anything besides the general sensation of hopelessness and the It laughing (inside?) as he is forcefed soap (or oil?).

I can't remember anything from the next two books.
If it helps it's almost certainly all made up

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

I thought it was A Child Called It but that's a different book by a terrible person

:agreed:

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Earwicker posted:

I am starting to become maybe infatuated with Leonardo Sciascia. I read a crime novel by him a couple years ago, The Day of the Owl, and it was pretty good, though I felt something was maybe lost in translation.

But more recently I read his novel To Each His Own, a collection of his short stories (The Wine Dark Sea), and now I'm reading Open Doors which is a novella that is both a meditation on fascism as well as on the death penalty, and all of these are just incredibly good. Looking forward to reading The Moro Affair next, which is not fictional at all but is his more journalistic account of the assassination of Aldo Moro.

Aside from Sciascia the only other Sicilian writer I have read is Giuseppe di Lampedusa who is also incredibly good (but did not write very much). I would love some other recommendations of Sicilian lit if you guys have any, especially more recent authors.

The ultimate is probably I Malavoglia, (The House by the Medlar Tree) by Giovanni Verga. Really wonderful descriptions of Sicilian fishing village life in the 19th century, if rather grim. Might be for you if you like Emile Zola. It was turned into a neorealist film by Luchino Visconti, who also did The Leopard.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Holy crap I just started Growth of the Soil and I'm way hooked already.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

thehomemaster posted:

Bought Submission today.

Keen as hell.

Also tried to buy p book of My Brilliant Friend but no luck. Would like both that series and My Struggle in p.

I started My Brilliant Friend and its really, really good. I want Submission but it doesn't come out for another loving month here.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

novamute posted:

Holy crap I just started Growth of the Soil and I'm way hooked already.

:getin:

read Wayfarers next

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Ah bummer, I was going to resurrect the Nobel Prize thread but it got archived.

Who are goons rooting for, if they even care. Has to be another European, right?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Mira posted:

Ah bummer, I was going to resurrect the Nobel Prize thread but it got archived.

Who are goons rooting for, if they even care. Has to be another European, right?

I'm going to bet that Murakami doesn't get it once again, despite being a "front-runner" like 3 times. My money would be on Ngugi wa Thiong'o, though I'd really like McCarthy to pick it up even though it would be kind of a "Old Man and the Sea" situation where the books he really deserves it for are 30+ years old.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

not that much left of 2015 now, and I'm noticing that my reading list is hella male-centric to boot. Apart from Sylvia Plath, any other female authors I should bump up in my reading queue?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
George Eliot is cool.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ulvir posted:

not that much left of 2015 now, and I'm noticing that my reading list is hella male-centric to boot. Apart from Sylvia Plath, any other female authors I should bump up in my reading queue?

Joanna Russ

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

ulvir posted:

Clarice Lispector

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm going to bet that Murakami doesn't get it once again, despite being a "front-runner" like 3 times. My money would be on Ngugi wa Thiong'o, though I'd really like McCarthy to pick it up even though it would be kind of a "Old Man and the Sea" situation where the books he really deserves it for are 30+ years old.

Old Man and the Sea was Hemingway's masterpiece though

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Louise Erdrich
Donna Tartt
Ann Patchett
Marilynne Robinson

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Reivax posted:

Clarice Lispector
Lispector's the best "writer I randomly decided to try out" lately. The Hour of the Star and The Apple in the Dark are both excellent (in very different ways). Also read The Passion According to G.H. but I thought that one was fairly overrated (though that could very easily be due, at least in part, to reading it in translation without much context for its place in Brazilian lit).

The Apple in the Dark also has what's, to me, the funniest passage I've encountered this year--

quote:

"Music is spirit itself," the professor said with great assurance.

"I," the son suddenly said--"I like opera. As far as I'm concerned, that's the best there is."

The professor flushed and looked down at the floor.

"I've explained to you already," he said in a very low and soft voice, "that you're wrong."

"Opera's what counts," the boy repeated with courageous obstinacy; his face was pale and ugly.

"You're wrong!" the professor exploded. "I've already told you that you're wrong!" The professor shouted, his eyes closed with tolerance and rage. "I've already told you that nowadays opera is considered second-rate music! You're the only one who won't pay any attention! I explained it to you already!"

"Maybe," the boy said with painful pride--"but as far as I'm concerned, opera is the thing."

The professor looked at him with bulging eyes. The vein in his neck was throbbing. The boy lost his strength then; he lowered his head and went back to biting his fingernails.

"The professor is very high-strung," Vítoria said simply, for Martim's benefit.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Nyet

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

George Eliot is cool.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Louise Erdrich
Donna Tartt
Ann Patchett
Marilynne Robinson

thanks, I'll check'em out.

Alhazred posted:

Joanna Russ

I'm a bit biased against genre fiction, but if you've a specific recommendation I'll give her a shot at some point.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You could always read Anne Bronte.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Do you really think so?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Do you really think so?

Of course. Its the complete embodiment of his lifetime goal of creating literature that evoked complex human emotion in sparse and effective language and found honor in the futility of men struggling against the cruelty of the world around them.

I would say the only reason it gets a bad rep is because people had to read it in High School. It is absolutely his best book. Farewell to Arms and For Whom the Bell Tolls are excellent but I would hold up Old Man and the Sea as the closest there has ever been to a perfectly written novel in the English language.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Is it really such a problem if your reading list is male-centric?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

thehomemaster posted:

It is if you want to have any reasonable depth or complete perspective of the world around you

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Seriously, Anne Bronte was cool, the Tenant of Wildfell Hall is cool.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

ulvir posted:

Elena Ferrante!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

thehomemaster posted:

What mudkiper said. there's a reason Stravinsky added two challenges to read a female author and a non-white author in the reading challenge thread.

and also is it really such a problem if I want to read more female authors than I have?

corn in the bible posted:

Seriously, Anne Bronte was cool, the Tenant of Wildfell Hall is cool.

I'll make a note of it.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Elena Ferrante!

It looks like she's mostly writing serialised fiction? unless I'm mistaken. any specific book you recommend?

ulvir fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 20, 2015

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

ulvir posted:

It looks like she's mostly writing serialised fiction? unless I'm mistaken. any specific book you recommend?

Read the Neapolitan series, which starts with "My Brilliant Friend." Absolutely fantastic in every way.

Where do you get the impression she's writing serialised fiction? Unless it's from the intentionally pulpy covers of all of her books.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Of course. Its the complete embodiment of his lifetime goal of creating literature that evoked complex human emotion in sparse and effective language and found honor in the futility of men struggling against the cruelty of the world around them.

I would say the only reason it gets a bad rep is because people had to read it in High School. It is absolutely his best book. Farewell to Arms and For Whom the Bell Tolls are excellent but I would hold up Old Man and the Sea as the closest there has ever been to a perfectly written novel in the English language.
I thought it was pretty weak.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

ulvir posted:

Days of Abandonment is a good introduction to her, but her best and most famous work is her four-part Neapolitan series that is essentially one long novel broken up into four books. The final one just came out a couple weeks ago. The series is one of the best things I've ever read. The first book in that, My Brilliant Friend, can be read as a stand-alone book, but they get better. Don't let the kitschy covers throw you off—these are masterpieces.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ulvir posted:

Flannery O'Connor

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Joy Williams is rad if you're in the mood for short stories. And of course Alice Munro.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's very good but it's not my favorite novel of his. Then again I'm weird and I think his short stories are better than his novels so :shrug:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Once goodreads recommended me the short stories of Ellen Gilchrist after I read Gaddis' novels and I thought she'd be proper Gaddissean before I clocked they just thought I was reading throuigh the winners of the American National Book Award

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

thehoodie posted:

Read the Neapolitan series, which starts with "My Brilliant Friend." Absolutely fantastic in every way.

Where do you get the impression she's writing serialised fiction? Unless it's from the intentionally pulpy covers of all of her books.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Days of Abandonment is a good introduction to her, but her best and most famous work is her four-part Neapolitan series that is essentially one long novel broken up into four books. The final one just came out a couple weeks ago. The series is one of the best things I've ever read. The first book in that, My Brilliant Friend, can be read as a stand-alone book, but they get better. Don't let the kitschy covers throw you off—these are masterpieces.

It was mostly the covers plus that she was noted for The Neapolitan series. But it seems I might've misunderstood the part, so I'll deffo keep her in mind. I love being proved wrong.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Read more Margaret Atwood. Everybody starts with The Handmaid's Tale or Oryx and Crake, if you're a guy, but I say start with Alias Grace. Or if you really want to jump with both feet into Atwood at her most ~woman's lit~, read The Robber Bride (my favorite).

Also read A.S. Byatt and Pat Barker.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ulvir posted:

Here are some specific books that I found to be very good:

House of Splendid Isolation - Edna O'Brien
The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
The Pickup - Nadine Gordimer
The Memoirs of a Survivor - Doris Lessing
The Dew Breaker - Edwidge Danticat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Nadine Gordimer is incredible. It's a shame people tend to overlook her as a prose stylist because of her activism.