Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

tricks are for kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-167/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=248

Snack force 1

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-168/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=249

Tower of God: Featuring ManGator and Daddy Issues

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

God, Wangnan owns

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I don't totally understand is how anyone other than Baam and the other irregulars could become a slayer nominee. Don't you have to be an irregular to kill Jahad?

Also, it seems like Hoaquin (and his brothers) might be the sons of Arie Hon or something.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think most slayers are just for killing family heads, it only requires an irregular to kill zahard. which of course is still dumb they're potentially killing the only irregular they have control over assuming hwa ryun isn't part of fug

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

i think most slayers are just for killing family heads, it only requires an irregular to kill zahard. which of course is still dumb they're potentially killing the only irregular they have control over assuming hwa ryun isn't part of fug

Ah, good point. Even though being willing to kill Baam is dumb as hell, I think it's been pretty solidly established that a bunch of people in FUG aren't exactly rational actors and are primarily loyal to whoever their "king" happens to be (for example Karaka in the case of the train conductor guy).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its odd that rachel being an irregular seems to be completely ignored since baam isn't exactly quiet about his relationship

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

its odd that rachel being an irregular seems to be completely ignored since baam isn't exactly quiet about his relationship

For whatever reason she doesn't have all the irregular-typical advantages that Baam has (like the huge shinsoo resistance and ability to instantly memorize techniques) and appears to be pretty average at combat. I think they took notice of Baam not only because he was an irregular, but also because he has some very powerful/unique abilities.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

while most irregulars are insanely powerful the real reason fug are interested is because they're the only people capable providing the killing blow. there is nothing to say rachel would be useless properly trained

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

For whatever reason she doesn't have all the irregular-typical advantages that Baam has (like the huge shinsoo resistance and ability to instantly memorize techniques) and appears to be pretty average at combat. I think they took notice of Baam not only because he was an irregular, but also because he has some very powerful/unique abilities.

I have a theory on that.

The entire ethos of the tower is test and evaluation. Baam their is very high profile in FUG as their irregular slayer nominee. He is the shiny attention grabber and house wrecker that EVERY FUG cell going up the tower cant help but put to trial and test. Baam will be stronger and changed with each new mark left by these cells. And by the end if Baam ever fought Zahard he would bare every training scar and teaching Fug as burned into him though all this opposition. He will carry their hopes even as they are defeated.

But its not that they have been idle with Rachel either. They have left her to function on her own craftiness and ingenuity as she gains tools (Emile; the know everything twitter bot) and her team of talent. All while being kept out of reach of baam enough to keep him invested. All with each cell and group unaware that she too is an irregular.

Where Baam is their high profile rising god slayer, Rachel is the hidden devil in plain sight. With this dynamic they hope to smuggle a tool close enough to Zahard to put a knife in his back.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

while most irregulars are insanely powerful the real reason fug are interested is because they're the only people capable providing the killing blow. there is nothing to say rachel would be useless properly trained

She's not useless, but she has been more or less properly trained and advanced at a pretty average rate; judging from her recent fight with Koon, she seems to be in the ball park of his skill level (though not as good). So it makes sense to focus on Baam (though it would make even more sense to focus on both of them, which might actually be what's happening).

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-169/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=250

New and exciting things, I was wondering when Yuri would show up again.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Lots of stuff happening, yeah.

Possibly information about the Tower and Zahard too, unless "Revolution" continues off-panel

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm super curious about what is going to transpire between this guardian guy and Baam and what he's supposedly going to teach him. Also, Baam continues to have balls of steel.

One thing I found interesting about this chapter is that it finally confirmed to us that Baam is weaker than Urek was at this current point in the Tower. Before, while Baam is obviously weaker than the current irregulars, it wasn't really clear whether his current strength was normal for an irregular. Chances are that Enryu was also stronger at this point, since he's ranked about on par with Mazino. Of course, Baam is still a huge badass that is stronger than pretty much any Regular with the same amount of experience, but he's not some demi-god like the other irregulars have been portrayed as.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I'm super curious about what is going to transpire between this guardian guy and Baam and what he's supposedly going to teach him. Also, Baam continues to have balls of steel.

One thing I found interesting about this chapter is that it finally confirmed to us that Baam is weaker than Urek was at this current point in the Tower. Before, while Baam is obviously weaker than the current irregulars, it wasn't really clear whether his current strength was normal for an irregular. Chances are that Enryu was also stronger at this point, since he's ranked about on par with Mazino. Of course, Baam is still a huge badass that is stronger than pretty much any Regular with the same amount of experience, but he's not some demi-god like the other irregulars have been portrayed as.

Man, irregulars these days aren't what they used to be:v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

there is clearly something special about baam which is why he's different and also why rachel was able to get into the tower

i really want a picture of the tower from the outside of wherever it is due to its stupid size

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I'm starting to get extremely lost with all the different groups moving at different speeds, now they're doing a cutaway to another group in the past? Aaaaah...

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Jose posted:

i really want a picture of the tower from the outside of wherever it is due to its stupid size

I always figured it was built like the Shellworld in Matter, a series of concentric spheres connected by a supporting column. It would explain why there was no way to get out except to go up, and no way up except to climb a specific route. However, given the prevalence of teleportation, dimension warping, and size changing technology/magic it is entirely possible that the "tower" lacks a definite shape or even an external structure.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

yeah it feels more like planes of pocketverses stacked in some kind of relative order

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

That said, the only thing we know about the "outside" are the bits we've seen from before the gate was opened...and that's not much. Does society even exist outside the tower?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Andarel posted:

That said, the only thing we know about the "outside" are the bits we've seen from before the gate was opened...and that's not much. Does society even exist outside the tower?

most likely since a large group of people were the first outsiders to climb the tower.

i'm glad we're seeing more of the people who were inside the tower from the start though

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

i'd be kinda surprised if "outside" the tower meant more than "multiverses connected through gates into the tower" tbh

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Maybe the cave Baam was in at the start of the series was actually the womb of the tower and Baam is actually a baby tower and will one day grow into a new tower

Did I just blow anyone's mind

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Ytlaya posted:

Maybe the cave Baam was in at the start of the series was actually the womb of the tower and Baam is actually a baby tower and will one day grow into a new tower

Did I just blow anyone's mind

What does this mean for Rachel?

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-170/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=251 interesting, interesting.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

:f5:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is the most interesting ToG has been in a very long time.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

There is so much happening right now :stare:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i hope baam is going to be stomping people after this and we can see gator fight

i just want to see him fight its been ages

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

This is the most interesting ToG has been in a very long time.

It's such a breath of fresh air, I'm remembering why I loved this story so much.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm super interested to find out what is up with Baam, and it looks like they might reveal something soon. I'm also curious about who the combined Hoaqin "siblings" are - maybe Arie Hon's child?

I'm wondering about what Yuri is going to do. I'm sure she can beat that FUG ranker (the conductor), but I don't think she would involve herself in the fighting among the regulars (not that she's allowed to in the first place). I feel like she wouldn't be there unless there was a good reason, but I can't think of what she might actually do. What is she wanting to meet Baam for in the first place (other than boning him)?

Regarding Rak fighting, I think the reason he doesn't fight that often is partly because it's kind of difficult to draw an interesting fight that involves his role as a spear bearer. He's mainly supposed to just snipe people with his spear and isn't really specialized in close melee (even though he can definitely hold his own).

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

I'm super interested to find out what is up with Baam, and it looks like they might reveal something soon. I'm also curious about who the combined Hoaqin "siblings" are - maybe Arie Hon's child?

I'm wondering about what Yuri is going to do. I'm sure she can beat that FUG ranker (the conductor), but I don't think she would involve herself in the fighting among the regulars (not that she's allowed to in the first place). I feel like she wouldn't be there unless there was a good reason, but I can't think of what she might actually do. What is she wanting to meet Baam for in the first place (other than boning him)?

Regarding Rak fighting, I think the reason he doesn't fight that often is partly because it's kind of difficult to draw an interesting fight that involves his role as a spear bearer. He's mainly supposed to just snipe people with his spear and isn't really specialized in close melee (even though he can definitely hold his own).

Last I can remember, she was trying to invite Baam to join the Wing Tree folks. It came down to the bet that no newbie could move freely in the super dense eel shinsoo pool or whatever. That and she's been obsessed with him since the beginning because he's an irregular and irregulars "shake up" the tower.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Sarcophallus posted:

Last I can remember, she was trying to invite Baam to join the Wing Tree folks. It came down to the bet that no newbie could move freely in the super dense eel shinsoo pool or whatever. That and she's been obsessed with him since the beginning because he's an irregular and irregulars "shake up" the tower.

Also she wants to ask him how to make that stupid needle work.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Avulsion posted:

I thought she already knew or at least had an idea that it's due to the needle only being into guys.

If she's coming to ask him to join Wingtree, I'm curious about how Baam would respond. My guess is that he would reject her offer, even though from our perspective it seems like a good idea to accept (from what we've seen, the Wingtree people seem like pretty cool folks). Baam doesn't really have any interest in escaping the tower or figuring out its mysteries.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

If she's coming to ask him to join Wingtree, I'm curious about how Baam would respond. My guess is that he would reject her offer, even though from our perspective it seems like a good idea to accept (from what we've seen, the Wingtree people seem like pretty cool folks). Baam doesn't really have any interest in escaping the tower or figuring out its mysteries.

He expressed interest in that, actually. Like right before they started their whole "catch the train" journey he was disappointed he couldn't meet Urek again and ask him more about the outside. I always took it to be more him trying to understand Rachel through understanding Urek and his desire, but dunno. Baam is kind of hard to get a strong read on.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Avulsion posted:

also she thinks he's hot.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-171/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=252 :kingsley: Too short, the chapters are too short and the week too long!

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
It's a bummer that we didn't get the (possible?) true self that Bam did, and that his revolution isn't complete. I wonder from the previous chapter though if Karaka is hidden in the arena, and if that'll lead to a Yuri vs Karaka fight. If not, how will Yuri react now anyways... oh well.

Bernardo Orel posted:

:kingsley: Too short, the chapters are too short and the week too long!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I'm somewhat disappointed that he fast-skipped all of the train's games between Baam's incubation and the tournament, but at the same time the plot is moving forward to an interesting place so I can't complain too much especially if the tournament is itself more of a game than just a straight fight.