Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Brennanite posted:

I'd say it was Asia, but there's a rain pipe, so I'm going with Eastern Europe.

The oldest result on Tineye is a russian site: http://trinixy.ru/31768-podborka-marazmov-74-foto.html
note: there's a NSFW photo in the stream on that page.

The largest is on this page of "russian construction fails" http://acidcow.com/pics/36590-russian-construction-fails-50-pics.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Brennanite posted:

I'd say it was Asia, but there's a rain pipe, so I'm going with Eastern Europe.

The date on the picture is in Cyrillic, it looks like.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

The oldest result on Tineye is a russian site: http://trinixy.ru/31768-podborka-marazmov-74-foto.html
note: there's a NSFW photo in the stream on that page.

The largest is on this page of "russian construction fails" http://acidcow.com/pics/36590-russian-construction-fails-50-pics.html

Tempted to buy this as Seebach's new avatar.

He doesn't really like it when I switch out his avatar, though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

NancyPants posted:

1:53 tree stump was great

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

What was he trying to do? The only thing I can think of is a really bad way to smooth out the road. . . which probably would have worked a little better if he used a heavy cast iron pipe with a chain ran through it so the pipe could roll along the surface and do more damage to the vehicle.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

What was he trying to do? The only thing I can think of is a really bad way to smooth out the road. . . which probably would have worked a little better if he used a heavy cast iron pipe with a chain ran through it so the pipe could roll along the surface and do more damage to the vehicle.

He was going a gag for a comedy show.

And the best way to do that is with a piece of chain link fence. Anything that needs more pressure/cutting is going to require real equipment.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Motronic posted:

And the best way to do that is with a piece of chain link fence. Anything that needs more pressure/cutting is going to require real equipment.

Ahhhh, so you saw them grooming the baseball "field" I used to play on as a kid.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

The car kept rolling backwards on hills. This was his "hill assist" feature.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Crotch Fruit posted:

No working handbrake.

This allowed him to make hillstarts

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Motronic posted:

Top Gear is was a Very Serious Informative Motoring Programme, thank you very much.

E: Obiously the best road roller would have been a 400lb concrete slab.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
With or without a bicycle chained to it?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Shady Amish Terror posted:

With or without a bicycle chained to it?

It was a motorcycle tyvw

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

spog posted:

No working handbrake.

This allowed him to make hillstarts

Wait wait wait...a supposed "car enthusiast" couldn't do a hill start without using the handbrake?

I think I've only used mine on hills, like, 10% of the time?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wait wait wait...a supposed "car enthusiast" couldn't do a hill start without using the handbrake?

I think I've only used mine on hills, like, 10% of the time?

You don't really grasp the underlying theme of the show, do you.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ignore, for a moment, the air handler uptake installed with plastic painters sheeting, zipties, and hope, and instead focus on the switch, mounted at about eye-level for me. (I'm 6'2.)

When up, the AC ran as normal. When down, the air-handler squirrel-cage shut off, with the rest of the system running. I supposed its a really elaborate ice-cube maker?

:wtc:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Wh...what?

Color me naive again, but...what possible purpose could that have been intended to serve? Poorly-thought-out maintenance consideration?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MrYenko posted:

Ignore, for a moment, the air handler uptake installed with plastic painters sheeting, zipties, and hope, and instead focus on the switch, mounted at about eye-level for me. (I'm 6'2.)

When up, the AC ran as normal. When down, the air-handler squirrel-cage shut off, with the rest of the system running. I supposed its a really elaborate ice-cube maker?

:wtc:

My house has the same poo poo. loving thing mystified me

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm gonna guess that the switch originally controlled a whole-house fan, and that A/C was added later and they just plugged in the air handler to the switched outlet without doing anything else.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Could it be like the dishwasher switch? Something about a code about requiring a service disconnect if it is hardwired in.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

I'm gonna guess that the switch originally controlled a whole-house fan, and that A/C was added later and they just plugged in the air handler to the switched outlet without doing anything else.

But killing the air handler should also kill the transformer powering the relay to the compressor, so the whole system should shut off.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Qwijib0 posted:

But killing the air handler should also kill the transformer powering the relay to the compressor, so the whole system should shut off.

This is why my mind was blown. Should didn't apply.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Qwijib0 posted:

Unless you get a system that's powered from 220V and the air handler is powered from the condenser. Then the main disconnect is outside the house, and there's a convenience power disconnect switch by the air handler. In well-designed systems, that switch also sends a signal back to the outdoor unit that pulls power from the condenser contactors.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Unless you get a system that's powered from 220V and the air handler is powered from the condenser. Then the main disconnect is outside the house, and there's a convenience power disconnect switch by the air handler. In well-designed systems, that switch also sends a signal back to the outdoor unit that pulls power from the condenser contactors.

That is a bizarre and almost pointless design for a system, so of course some HVAC company decided it was the best idea.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What happened to the guy that spend months and months and a pile of money trying to get his flipped house into a usable state?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

What happened to the guy that spend months and months and a pile of money trying to get his flipped house into a usable state?

Still spending months and piles of money to get his house into a usable state. His blog.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

SynthOrange posted:

Kastein? :v:

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

He's still at it, somehow.

http://www.hoodwinkedhouse.com/

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Wasn't there something not too long ago about him ratting out his neighbors for something too?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

couldcareless posted:

Wasn't there something not too long ago about him ratting out his neighbors for something too?

yea there was a couple guys doing some work without a permit and he called the city iirc he was really preachy and annoying about it too.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

yea there was a couple guys doing some work without a permit and he called the city iirc he was really preachy and annoying about it too.

A man trapped in a hellish nightmare of a home caused by unlicensed work is preachy and annoying about someone else doing unlicensed work???

Why I never!

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Wasabi the J posted:

A man trapped in a hellish nightmare of a home caused by unlicensed work is preachy and annoying about someone else doing unlicensed work???

Why I never!

Again, iirc he was being more preachy and annoying than he should have been. I remember reading people coming out against him for the video and it's erased from his site. If you werent too busy watching my little pony when he first posted it, you might be more informed about it!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I remember that he was kind of a jerk about it and maybe overly gleeful about seeing them busted (which I understand, but still makes him look kind of petty), but I also seem to recall that they were doing stuff that should really be properly permitted. I don't think it was actually ripping out asbestos, but I think it was something where you need proper removal and disposal and they were just half-assing it all.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ashcans posted:

I remember that he was kind of a jerk about it and maybe overly gleeful about seeing them busted (which I understand, but still makes him look kind of petty),

Especially because he played the card about the neighbor's unpermitted work bringing down *his* property values. Like his property value is anything over $0.00 given his entire blog detailing what a shitpile his place is, and the fuckups *he's* done trying to fix the previous fuckups. If the best thing you could hope for to fix your house is a flood worrying about what your neighbors are doing to their houses is petty as gently caress.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I don't get why he didn't just bulldoze the place and build a new house from scratch. It would probably have been cheaper by now.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think the issue is that their money is tied up in the house. In order to bulldoze it and build a new one he would need to get a bunch more money from somewhere. He's already stuck with the mortgage on a house that isn't going away just because it's trash. Because he can't pay for a clean start, he has been slowly trickling money into shoring up his nightmare home. He ended up running up $10,000 in credit card debt trying to pay for fixes, which is terrible, but it's not like he could knock down and start over for that either.

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008
This guy was left completely hosed by un-professional, not-to-code labor. I can totally understand his enthusiasm to keep that kind of poo poo from happening to someone else.

It was some sort of asbestos or mold removal that these guys were doing without any of the proper equipment or procedures so it was probably in everyone's best interests that he did something but he went about it in a dick way.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Didn't an insurance agent or a loan guy basically tell him to turn on all the breakers and just let that fucker burn

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

RazorDX posted:

This guy was left completely hosed by un-professional, not-to-code labor.

And he got himself into this position by buying a very expensive and complicated thing without professional help.

Many of his "hidden by flipper" items should have been found by a competent inspector. With just a handful of those found it would quickly become obvious to anyone with experience that the house had a high likelihood of having a bunch of terrible work hidden beyond the reach of a standard non-destructive inspection. At that point a competent person would look at the sales history and see it was held for only a short duration by the last owners. This is your obvious BIG RED FLAG.

It doesn't mean "no way in hell you should buy this house", unless you are looking for something that is move-in ready. But it means that you need to agree with the seller on more destructive inspections with a contract provision to refuse the home if a certain threshold is met, as well as money off the selling price or put into escrow to correct any found or unfound defects.

For most people, this is a house to walk away from. But for the right person and a motivated seller that knows they screwed up and are under pressure of carrying the mortgage and losing their rear end on their flip it may work out.

In many states inspection and appraisal reports stick with the house for a minimum of 6 months. This is always a great bargaining chip if you are willing to deal with something in this state.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

I don't get why he didn't just bulldoze the place and build a new house from scratch. It would probably have been cheaper by now.

Because it's very much fixable, one part at a time. Most of the panic is from the way those issues manifest themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
There were some hilariously lovely things that happened in that house, like the coax connections just being a faceplate and six inches of wire in the wall. And the shingles dumped into the back yard.

There are other things where he is blaming the flipper for stuff that isn't exactly the flipper's fault. Like the bargain basement dishwasher.

There are also things where he is taking a really stupid approach to fixing, like the water leak under the stoop. After deciding that he was tired of mixing concrete (after about five bags of the stuff) he used up three cans of spray foam as a bandaid solution when the real solution was to break up a little bit of the driveway to get access then just start shovelling stuff in. Stuff like all the crap from his yard, shingles and all, to fill the hole, THEN patch up above. But no, he decided to just pour concrete without doing any sort of prep work.

Now he says he needs $5000 to fix that, which overestimates costs by around $4900 because he can't think his way out of a wet paper sack.