Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Also, I realise this is a fairly conceited thing for me to say after I just said I don't know anything about Ar Tonelico, but I played Fault Milestone One over the weekend and it's everything I personally could ever want from this kind of game with none of the crude humour. If you're the kind of person to be following this thread, and you don't mind visual novels as a format, and you aren't too fussed if the music isn't as good as in this game, I recommend it very very highly. You can get it on Steam.

Unless you're only into Ar Nosurge for its male protagonists and pretty girls wearing not enough clothes. If that's what you're after, then maybe don't bother. I mean, Fault has pretty girls in, but they're fairly conservatively dressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

FractalSandwich posted:

Also, I realise this is a fairly conceited thing for me to say after I just said I don't know anything about Ar Tonelico, but I played Fault Milestone One over the weekend and it's everything I personally could ever want from this kind of game with none of the crude humour. If you're the kind of person to be following this thread, and you don't mind visual novels as a format, and you aren't too fussed if the music isn't as good as in this game, I recommend it very very highly. You can get it on Steam.

Unless you're only into Ar Nosurge for its male protagonists and pretty girls wearing not enough clothes. If that's what you're after, then maybe don't bother. I mean, Fault has pretty girls in, but they're fairly conservatively dressed.

The sequel, fault milestone two, is 25% off on Steam for about another two hours. Thought you might like to know if you didn't already.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I did, but thanks anyway.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

FractalSandwich posted:

You can take my raunchy humor but you will never take my waifus

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I am literally here for the soundtrack.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah the music is like 75% of the draw of the series. The only one of them that's legit will not suffer arguments a good game is AT2.

I mean gameplay wise this one is definitely better than Qoga. It could be way better, though (frankly by literally having AT2's systems, building a rhythm game into the combat system of a series mostly notable for its music was kinda genius).

Feinne fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 15, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Feinne posted:

Yeah the music is like 75% of the draw of the series. The only one of them that's legit will not suffer arguments a good game is AT2.

I mean gameplay wise this one is definitely better than Qoga. It could be way better, though (frankly by literally having AT2's systems, building a rhythm game into the combat system of a series mostly notable for its music was kinda genius).

Yeah, honestly. I thought that really worked. Have we gotten any kind of word from the developers on why they got experimental with the combat system?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

That explains a lot.

The truth is, I've been trying not to get too attached to the music, because it seems like the kind of thing that would be annoyingly hard to buy.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I bought it using a translation web extension and amazon.co.jp.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

You can even get them through english amazon if you don't mind paying more, just search 'genometric'. The OST is also available.

That said I'd still totally echo the amazon.co.jp recommendation, they're totally willing to ship to the US and are also a good source for awesome tangential stuff like Akiko Shikata's normal CDs (which actually every so often have a Hymmnos on them as well since she helped create the language, like EXEC_HARVESTASYA or salavec Raphlanca). I cannot recommend Turaida enough honestly, especially if you get the bonus disc version that gets you some new arrangements of stuff from her earlier albums as well (like the aforementioned salavec Raphlanca).

Update tomorrow probably, though I might have to do some actual work so who knows exactly when during the day it'll be.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 16, 2015

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Well that's sure a load off my mind.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

You drop in to say high and five minutes later you’re being roped into watching some crazy’s kids, jeez. And why the hell does it have to be me? Look, just do whatever it is you do and try not to poke your eyes out or something and get me in trouble, I’ve got some stuff needs repairing. What’s that? A story? Ugh, they owe me big for this.

I wonder how much longer this road will go…?
…What if there’s a cliff at the end of this road, and we just fall off…?
I can’t go any farther… I’m scared.

Heh. Although, I guess I used to live like this… My mind full of these thoughts.
When I was little, it was all about, “Can I get into a good school?” or “Will I find a job”…?
Since I came here, thought, it’s been all about, “When can I go home?”
And now…
Hey, do you think there was a purpose for me being in this world?
The only thing I’ve really done since I came here… Is destroy a planet…
It’s dangerous to be there, Ion!
Renall?
Don’t move, wait right there…!

So I guess there’s a big eye girl and another lady talking about something? There’s no context to this here for me.

Thank goodness I caught you in time.
I don’t know how to thank you, Renall.
You’re quite welcome.
The stars you can see from here, are so pretty…
And, compared to that, your face looks like a rainy day. What happened?
Renall… I just don’t know what to do.
I have no intention to return to my own world. But I’m also not confident enough to live in this one…
Why is that?
I wonder why it is…? I’m worried the people of this world might not accept me…
You worry too much, Ion. But, you shouldn’t because everyone will like you the way you are.
You don’t know that.
Maybe I don’t… But assuming people won’t accept you, is actually rather rude, don’t you think?
Really…?
This is something you’ve taught me, Ion…
Huh?

What? Okay it’s one of those dive things or whatever, fine.

I thought of you as my own daughter… But, you were still very weak, and perhaps you hated me…
That’s not true!
Yes, but… That’s what I believed. And you’re the one who undid that misunderstanding.
Thanks to you, I was able to face the truth, and continue living…
That’s why I want you to believe in them, too, Ion… In the people living on this world.

Don’t worry. Your thoughts are always pure, and you’ve always tried so hard to protect this world…
The people here will accept all of you, your feelings and everything.
And, even if that weren’t the case, I promise I’ll support you. You’re not alone anymore, you know?
…Renall… Thank you so much.
I will believe in it… This world…
And, no matter what happens, always believe in yourself, okay?
You have lots of wonderful memories hidden deep inside of you, you know?
Yes!
Well then, I’ll be going soon… I need to reignite the flame in my world…
Good luck. All I’ll probably be able to do is keep this area lit, but, I’ll be cheering you on.
But, how far does this go…? It looks like this is a dead end…?
There’s a large shrine on top. I think it has sightlines of the entire world, but…
…First, you need to go there. I hope my light can go far enough…
I understand… Thank you very much!

I mean we can’t all have crazy magic song powers or whatever. So the eye lady and her robot buddy who only now seems to be coming up moved on.

What should we do…? There’s nowhere else we can go.
Light a fire?/Go back?
Huh? But, how…?
I’ll try.
You will…?
Don’t say anything, and just believe./I think even more about Ion.
Hehehe… I really like how I can rely on you like that…
Well, then, do you think I can ask you to do that…?

I don’t know something about a pretty garden? Like the robot sounds cool I guess, maybe we’ll have more about it.

…Ah! Hey, over there… Do you see that? Inside of the cloud of stars…?
What?
There’s a star that isn’t lit. The one with a vacuum in the middle of it…
I’m sure that’s it! If we light that one up, this world will be bright!
But how do we get there?
…I see… There’s no other way but to fly over there…?
But, neither one of us can fly…
Then let’s build it!/So we have to give up, then.
Huh…!? You’re going to build it? Something to fly with?
But, how…?
Are you kidding me!? What’s all this weakness I hear!?
Nelico…!?
This is your world! And you even have a partner who confirms in you… There’s nothing that cannot be done.
That’s right. It is your and Earthes’s thoughts that will lead you to that star.
You better not get cold feet after coming this far. I wouldn’t forgive you.
Kanon… Nay…?
Ion, do your best… This is going to be the biggest challenge you’ve ever faced.

Ugh, this is getting pretty sappy.

…Renall…
Thank you, everyone… I’m going to do my best with Earthes.
…Hey, can you go to that star with me?
Like you said… We might be able to weave something if we make it there.
I probably can’t do it alone, but, together…
Please, Earthes… I want you to give me your strength… The strength of your planet.
Become one with me…
Let’s forge our tomorrow… A tomorrow, just for the two of us!

And then there was a dragon?

…No, that’s not it.
Ooh, this is quite amazing…! A merge between this world and hers, huh?
I’ve never seen anything like this before…
This is the power of Ion’s world…?
Now, Ionasal… there’s no time to waste.
Yes, everyone… Thank you so much!
I’m going to go light this tower, and carry all of your warm feelings with me. It’s going to be okay.
…Let’s go, Earthes!

I wouldn’t trust riding on a dragon personally, those things are really dangerous.

There was a story about riding on a dragon that soars through the skies through the sea of stars…

There was a lonely girl, who longed for the stars in the skies… So she created filaments that lit up.
Thanks to that, the girl’s life, which was empty and lifeless, began to shine.

But when she arrived at where the light was supposed to be, there was nothing. It was just an illusion.
The girl woke up, and when she did, the world went stale again.

Just like me, from a while ago…
There’s no light in this world.
But, it’s different this time, because…
You’re by my side…

Wait so this chick is hot for robots?

Who’s behind that screen… And how do they feel with me on the other side?
I wonder if it’s the same kind of “life” as me… Or is it empty?
… Those thoughts ran through my head every day… That was my life.
But, you know… After spending so much time with you, going on an adventure…
I think I’ve come to understand the real you… What lies behind the screen.
And right now, we’re here, together… You’re in the deepest part of my heart… That’s the truth.
So, there’s nothing for you to worry about anymore. Not a single thing.
I’ve never seen what you look like, and I can’t touch or hear you, but… I can feel you now.
I know it. I can believe you’re right there. On the other side…
The light was no illusion.

Now, let’s light up the world, together… I know we can do it.
We’ll shine a bright light onto this world.
Dear…
Ion…
I love you from the bottom of my heart…

Also loves vacuum tubes. Okay.

Earthes, this is amazing!
You did it, Ion!
Yeah, yeah! Oh, thank you.. Thank you so much!
I… I’m…!
Pat Ion on the head./Embrace Ion.
Aww, it makes me so happy when you pat me on the head like that.

We need to go back to everyone else and thank them.
Let’s go, Earthes.

Also why is there a lady in a rabbit ear coat?

Nelico!
I’m impressed… You’ve restored light in this world. Everyone waited and gave you their blessing.
Hehehe… Thank you very much.
More importantly, lighthouse keeper… Since you two had your moment alone, did you say what you had to?
H-Huh? S-Say what I had to…? What’s that?
Oh, come now… You know exactly what I’m talking about.
U-Umm… I have a vague idea of what you’re referring to, but… I-I guess I got as far as telling him…
Very well done! Now, that’s the lighthouse keeper I knew!
I-It’s a little embarrassing…
What’s there to be ashamed about!? It would be a shame to go so deep into the heart and not confess.
I-I see…
Anyway… You told him, right? If you have, then all that’s left is the last ceremony!
What does that mean?
If you, and you… Connect on the deepest level with each other, then the strongest bond will be created!
The strongest… Bond?
That’s right! Now, let’s strike while the iron’s hot! Let the preparations begin.
H-Huuuuh!? Please, wait! I’m not even sure what I’m supposed to do yet!
Oh, don’t worry… Nothing to worry about.
That’s right! Metal man, while she’s getting ready, why don’t you go greet everyone in the shrine?
I’m sure they’re tired of waiting.
W-Well, then, dear… I guess I’ll see you in a little bit?

Still don’t really get this.

Ion, are you getting ready?
This is actually rather exciting.
I’ve got a bad feeling about this.
Oh, c’mon now… I have a really good and wonderful feeling about this!
As do I.
This is truly a festive event! Frankly, not many people make it this far.
In fact, I would say that the only Genom and human team to come close isn’t half as deep as you two are.
I think that’s something to be proud of!
We’re ready!
Ah, it’s finally time!
Come now, lighthouse keeper. Hurry up!
H-Huuuuuh!? B-But it’s so embarrassing!
C’mon, hurry it up, will you?
Eek!

Some kind of weird foreign wedding ceremony I guess?

Waaaah, p-please don’t look at me too much…! It’s embarrassing…
…You’re so beautiful.
Ion, you’re so… Elegant.
You look wonderful, Ion!
Th-Thank you, everyone.
How could you not have any words? Say something to her!
You’re really pretty./Let’s get married!
…Hehehe, thank you.
Argh, is that the best you can do? I mean, seriously?
Yeah, what she said!
H-Hey, everyone… I’m really happy right now, you know?
To have the person you love say that you look beautiful… What could be worth more than that?
That’s why I’m… So happy…
I would love for someone to say that to me, too…
Huh!? Kanon, are you…?
Ah! N-No, please, forget that.

Also pretty sure that grey hair lady wanted to marry the big eye girl just saying.

We will not begin the ritual of vows.
When this ceremony is complete, the two of you will have the strongest bond possible…
Specifically, your minds and hearts will be connected on such a deep level, it’ll be like becoming one…
Wh-What could that mean…?
We’ll just have to find out, now won’t we?! Here goes!
Now first, Earthes… Do you swear to stay by the lighthouse keeper’s side, through health and sickness—
--Good times, and bad…?
I promise./I can’t promise.
Hmm, very good. And next, you, lighthouse keeper.
Y-Yes!
Do you swear to live together with Earthes, to support each other, nurture each other, and grow together?
…Yes. I do.

What’s with the lighthouse stuff? No don’t explain, I don’t actually care.

But, I was happy for everyone’s blessings!
Ion was really pretty./That’s the grand finale.
Hehehe, I’m still a little embarrassed, actually.
But, every time you say you think I’m pretty, it makes me so happy.

So many things have happened, haven’t they? In my mind, and everyone else’s… I can’t believe it.
Everyone said they were able to grow because of me, but…
If you ask me, I feel like they’re the ones helping me all along…
I don’t know what you look like… Or how you sound, but you always communicate your feelings for me.
You cherish me so… Thank you for being by my side all this time…
I hope that I’ll be able to live with you, forever and ever…

This thing’s almost done, phew.

You and I were able to make it this far because we’ve supported each other, the entire way.
I’m so happy. I can’t believe we’ve made it this far, together…
…Frankly, in the beginning I only considered you to be my bodyguard. Protecting me from the outside…
On the surface, I would try to act friendly, but deep down, I thought I would never show you my thoughts…
Because, in the end, we would never meet. I had to draw a line in the sand, in my heart, we couldn’t cross.
But after spending so much time with you, in both Genometrics and reality, I realized something.
No matter how far apart we may be… Even if it’s impossible for us to physically be together…
It’s still possible to convey each others’ feelings… Our love…
Right now, you’re living on a world that’s unbelievably far away…
But, the distance between our hearts is closer than that of anyone in this world.

Feinne’s Notes:
The choice up ahead is our very last chance to get kicked out of one of Ion’s normal Genometrics, yes you totally can get kicked out and have to come back in right before getting the song.

…Hehe, good.
I really cherish you, too. More than anyone on this world…
That’s why, you’re the best partner I could ever ask for…
…Now, we better go. We need to go through this door, the two of us.
I hope that the bond between our hearts will forever be strong…
And that you and I will be blessed with happiness.

And over with, great.

Now, pass me that wrench, things to do.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: The Girl

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So sappy that Canadians are looking into ways to bottle it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

And there's the ACTUAL wedding dress.

I'm not really shocked, sadly.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This is pretty much exactly what I was afraid of.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's dumb that this dive just doesn't even attempt to deal with the fact that Ion is a huge rear end in a top hat. Is this aspect of her character ever contested at all? As what I assume was Ion's final dive this was incredibly underwhelming.

Cass's second dive was also hella dumb with everybody betraying each other for poorly explained reasons and then Cass doing the same because she has low self-esteem, but at least it kinda confronted an important part of her character. With how she felt she was pretty much useless and all that but it turns out everyone greatly respects her. It was pretty cheesy and set up extremely poorly but at least something happened. In this dive I don't think I actually learned anything new about Ion, and she wasn't confronted with anything that she hadn't been confronted with before. There was surprisingly very little to this dive.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Hellioning posted:

And there's the ACTUAL wedding dress.

I'm not really shocked, sadly.

If we'd gone through with the wedding in the last level before it kicked us out we'd have gotten that CG art.

Going to be honest like 90 Dives into the series this one doesn't stand out as anything other than having some cute CG art and giving us a chance to gently caress up and get kicked out at the very last second.

FractalSandwich posted:

This is pretty much exactly what I was afraid of.

Eh, if I understood what you were worried about it's not really. The point of this level has really been her friends accepting her even though she's kind of a jerk. Earthes just happens to be among said friends, and I wouldn't even say we had any more important role in what happened than any of the other participants.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's dumb that this dive just doesn't even attempt to deal with the fact that Ion is a huge rear end in a top hat. Is this aspect of her character ever contested at all? As what I assume was Ion's final dive this was incredibly underwhelming.

Describing Ion as a "huge rear end in a top hat" strikes me as a bit noxious and extremely hyperbolic. There's no question that she's a jerk and often insincere, but compared to Jill's untrammeled sociopathy, Nelo's understandable yet abhorrent willful blindness, and Prim's Interdimend user's general jackassery, I think Ion comes off pretty well. Plus she's aces at awkward situation judo.

Feinne posted:

Earthes just happens to be among said friends, and I wouldn't even say we had any more important role in what happened than any of the other participants.

That both makes sense and isn't terribly surprising. Earthes's role in events thus far has mostly been as a guardian of Ion and an assistant in achieving the goals of Ion and the other characters. Given how little agency Earthes (as a direct avatar of the players) has in the game, I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable with the dive revolving entirely around Earthes.

I mean, yeah other protagonists in the Ar- series games also progressed along a linear path and the player occasionally made choices in dialog trees, but the is the first one where the player has an avatar that is recognized as a shell they are controlling as a storytelling conceit. Unless the player is merely being given the perspective of the person operating the avatar; Earthes definitely having their own persona* is an argument for that, but the lack of internal dialog for Earthes makes me question that possibility.

*Which may or may not line up with the player's or maybe selecting an option gives Earthes the player's take on the situation but the limited variety in choices means that some players won't be able to select an option that truly represents their opinion/take/input instead of the option that best resembles their input. But is that distinction meaningful regarding deciding if the player is meant to be the person controlling Earthes?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
That's a pretty rad plane-dragon.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Wales Grey posted:

Describing Ion as a "huge rear end in a top hat" strikes me as a bit noxious and extremely hyperbolic. There's no question that she's a jerk and often insincere, but compared to Jill's untrammeled sociopathy, Nelo's understandable yet abhorrent willful blindness, and Prim's Interdimend user's general jackassery, I think Ion comes off pretty well. Plus she's aces at awkward situation judo.
That's the thing: for all of Ion's selfishness and manipulation she still cares about the world and the people in it to want to save them. While she can certainly be compared to the villians she is definitely not one.

I wouldn't call Ion the worst because what she does is pretty common just not to such an exaggerated extent nor put under such scrutiny. One of the subtle parts of Social interaction is manipulating people to mutual benefit. Whether it's a business transaction, managing people (massaging egos for optimal performance,) or friendships (as shown here) there's that invisible tug of war between them of selfishness. Even if it's something as benign as 'like me!' it still goes on.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

That's the thing: for all of Ion's selfishness and manipulation she still cares about the world and the people in it to want to save them. While she can certainly be compared to the villians she is definitely not one.

I wouldn't call Ion the worst because what she does is pretty common just not to such an exaggerated extent nor put under such scrutiny. One of the subtle parts of Social interaction is manipulating people to mutual benefit. Whether it's a business transaction, managing people (massaging egos for optimal performance,) or friendships (as shown here) there's that invisible tug of war between them of selfishness. Even if it's something as benign as 'like me!' it still goes on.

Yeah again you just normally aren't in a situation of literally seeing someone's internal monologue.

I forgot how much stuff still happens in Tattoria's side quest, since basically everything we synthesize with Kanon is pretty cray in this section I might just do Kanon + her syntheses so the whole Felie thing can be in one update.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wales Grey posted:

I never said that she's the biggest rear end in a top hat, but she's still a dick. She's kind of an rear end in more interesting and subtle ways than those guys you mentioned, but I don't think the game has been depicting them very well. Because a lot of the ways in which she is an rear end in a top hat come off as pretty manipulative and kind of messed up, but she hasn't really been called out for it. And I don't think they've really elaborated on her actions enough to make me sympathetic to her, if only because while she's not as evil as many other characters in the game she comes off to me as a selfish and really bad friend. Which is something that I was expecting to be explored in greater detail and for her to be confronted with that, but it hasn't really come together for me.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Eh, if I understood what you were worried about it's not really. The point of this level has really been her friends accepting her even though she's kind of a jerk. Earthes just happens to be among said friends, and I wouldn't even say we had any more important role in what happened than any of the other participants.

Well, after marrying the player avatar, she goes on to say:

Ion posted:

You and I were able to make it this far because we’ve supported each other, the entire way.
I’m so happy. I can’t believe we’ve made it this far, together…
…Frankly, in the beginning I only considered you to be my bodyguard. Protecting me from the outside…
On the surface, I would try to act friendly, but deep down, I thought I would never show you my thoughts…
Because, in the end, we would never meet. I had to draw a line in the sand, in my heart, we couldn’t cross.
But after spending so much time with you, in both Genometrics and reality, I realized something.
No matter how far apart we may be… Even if it’s impossible for us to physically be together…
It’s still possible to convey each others’ feelings… Our love…
Right now, you’re living on a world that’s unbelievably far away…
But, the distance between our hearts is closer than that of anyone in this world.
[...]
I really cherish you, too. More than anyone on this world…
That’s why, you’re the best partner I could ever ask for…
…Now, we better go. We need to go through this door, the two of us.
I hope that the bond between our hearts will forever be strong…
And that you and I will be blessed with happiness.

If that's not elevating Earthes above everyone else, I don't know what is. How much more explicit could it get?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The story that Ion mentions there is actually one that she wrote herself, called 'Filament Star'. The dive's name is probably a reference to that too. Cool thing is that it's an actual book that they made, and it came with an audio CD of Ion reading it.

Of course the Ciel noSurge guy translated it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a0uLcTfDEY

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Well, after marrying the player avatar, she goes on to say:

If that's not elevating Earthes above everyone else, I don't know what is. How much more explicit could it get?

Ion may well feel that way, but I don't think it bears out in what happened is all.

Honestly you shouldn't read too much into what just happened, the Dive ends like that because that's how all AT Dives end. There's actually even a reason for it in AT, it's just in this game out of pure momentum.

For example, unlike the rest of the series the Dives have no impact on the ending.

Basically I'm saying I disagree but a lot of it is that after playing this series so much my perspective on it is pretty different.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 18, 2015

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Honestly you shouldn't read too much into what just happened, the Dive ends like that because that's how all AT Dives end. There's actually even a reason for it in AT, it's just in this game out of pure momentum.

For example, unlike the rest of the series the Dives have no impact on the ending.
I was wondering about that. In the case that Genometrics are supposed to be a character development machine that you put a character in and they come out different, then it doesn't make sense for these characters to act the same in the main story whether or not you've done their Genometrics. It's not feasible to write alternate versions of all the dialogue where that would be necessary - at least not if it's going to be voiced - so that would mean the possiblity space had to collapse down somewhere, either by making the player finish all the Genometrics to progress past a certain point, or by stopping the game early with an alternate ending to accomplish the same thing (which isn't actually any different).

So I had been expecting something like that. But if the idea isn't for Genometrics to affect any change in the way the characters act, then there's no need. If they're not supposed to actually change anyone's relationship or the way they think about each other, but rather inform the player of how things are and why, then they can be completely self-contained. They have the same purpose a series of flashbacks might, but fulfill it in a much more fanciful way.

In that case, what I think undermines them is this perceived need for a sense of progression and a happy ending - or any ending, for that matter. Which you say is a legacy from the Ar Tonelico games. So I guess I've written this whole long post just to arrive at the same conclusion as you.

In principle, I think I actually like "Genometrics as exposition" more than "Genometrics as character development". I just wish it all hung together a little more elegantly. And didn't have so many boob jokes in.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

A Gust gonna have some boob jokes those slip into their more serious fare. Nothing to be done about it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I don't want to be one of those "lol, japan" guys, but that really does seem to be pretty much every Japanese game. They show up in the most unexpected and annoying places. It's ridiculous how much goodwill a game can buy from me just by not having anything like that in it, just because it's so rare.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
If you don't want to be one of those guys, maybe you shouldn't be one of them.

I mean, that's just common sense.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Might have an update tomorrow, might be Sunday, it's actually still a lot of work to turn the text rip of the shop scenes and some screen shots into an update and I might not have time tomorrow.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

You start one awesome fight near a technically vital portion of the tower and everyone goes all crazy on you, ugh. Oh, hey there, yeah. The Great and Powerful Administrator said I should maybe just stay in the hotel for today, so we can hang out. Hmm, I’ve got some more of these product notes, let’s hit some of that.

It's used to count the number of times the hammer has been swung.
Count the number of swings? I don't understand the purpose of that...
A normal hammer wouldn't need a counter like this.
However, swinging this hammer generates power, and it can store that energy.
Wait, it generates power just by swinging it?
Yes. The counter is to have a general idea of how much the hammer has been charged.
I call it the Hammer Charge.
Hmm... But there wouldn't be much power generation with just a simple swing...
Um, Kanon? Is this counter using the power generated to function?
Yes, that's correct... Is there some sort of issue?
In that case, I'm pretty sure the power being used is just to move the counter.
I-impossible! It shouldn't require much power just to move a counter!
That's true, but there isn't much power generated by a simple swing either.
That's why I'm pretty sure there's zero energy left after moving the counter...
Even if there was some left, it would probably be so little that even 100 swings wouldn't be significant.
You should just remove the counter./It’s just a regular hammer, then!
That's impossible.
The power generation function is tied with the counter...
If I took the counter out, it would just be a regular hammer.
It's pretty much just a regular hammer right now anyway...
A-anyway, I'm sure that if you use very large swings, it would charge up just fine.
Uu, I feel like we're being forced to take this...

Your father and that blacksmith friend of his nearly killed their fool selves building one of these next things once.

Pile drive... Could this cathode be using a pile driver as a weapon!?
I'm sorry for piquing your expectations, but it won't work as a pile driver.
...Oh, I see.
However, it is a powerful barrage drill...
Barrage... Drill? Um, is that...
You can think of it as a drill with pile driving functions.
S-so that means you combined a pile driver with a drill!?
Y-yes... Is there something wrong?
This is pure romance!/Aren’t you overdoing it?
You think so too? Kanon's pretty amazing, combining a drill with a pile driver...
A drill and a pile driver is somehow pure romance?
...I don't understand at all, but if you two say so, it must be true.
It seems I still have a lot to learn. I should research this later...
I-it's not really something you need to figure out that badly...
Regardless, given that this is heavy, powerful machinery, please... Be careful.
Compared to a normal weapon, even a small mistake could lead to a serious accident.
That's true... If an attack were to hit one of us by mistake, it would be serious trouble...
I made it so you could both survive future battles. Please don't forget to prioritize your own safety.
...Even your warnings sound like something at a construction site.

Not that it wasn’t pretty great when it was done. Anyway when they next dropped in on Kanon the Sharl were hanging around again.

Oh hello. I didn't know you were coming today...
Sharl C: Yeah! We came to help Kanon with her recipe.
Huh? Recipe?
Hehehe, thanks to everyone's help, I think I've come up with quite an interesting recipe.
Ionasal, take a look.
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Throwing a Festival]!
A-A festival!?
Sharl A: Yay, festival!
Sharl B: Heave-ho, heave-ho!!
Sharl C: Kanon, you're going to join us, right?
A-Are you sure about this!?
Sharl A: C'mon!
Heave-ho, heave-ho!!/(Watch Kanon)
Sharl B: Whoa, the robot person is really funny!
Whew... Thank you for that.
Kanon. It must really be tough for you.
W-Well, I was able to complete it because of their help.
Sharl C: If we can all have fun, then it's a festival... That's what we taught her!
Yes... Which is why I created this recipe, in hopes that something festival related will come about.
A festival, huh...? Hehehe, that actually sounds like a lot of fun.
Yes, I wouldn't have dreamed of a recipe like this only a little while ago.
But, I like it a lot. I can't wait to see what we can make.
Hehehe... Truth be told, so am I.
I can make it any time, so feel free to talk to me whenever you want.
Of course!
Hey, everyone, don't hesitate to give advice or cheer on Kanon in the future. Hehe.
Sharl A: Okay!
...P-Please go easy on me.

I’m not really sure what legendary cursed objects have to do with festivals.

You're right, it's a little too small. It'd be difficult to use as a backscratcher.
T-that's not what I mean... It's too realistic, covered in hair... It's really scary...
It would have been better to just make a backscratcher out of a wooden stick...
True... That is, if this were actually a backscratcher.
...It isn't?
No. This is actually...
...An item called the Great Grandson Hand.
There's a certain legend behind this item.
...A legend?
Yes. Don't you think it's strange how it's covered in so much hair?
The whole thing is strange, not just the fact it's covered in hair.
...Well, regardless.
This is a magic hand that can grant any wish, created by a certain alchemist long ago.
I-it can grant any wish!?
Yes, and of course even this hand here is capable of doing so.
However... I don't recommend using it.
W-why's that? If we have this, we could even restore Ra Ciela...

Or why you’d even consider scratching your back with one.

Exactly. Items that grant wishes should not exist. They are the tools of demons.
Due to this, not only the user, but also those around them could be harmed.
The alchemist who first created this hand made the following wish.
"Please revive my dead daughter."
That wish was granted. The daughter rose from her grave, and headed to the alchemist's home.
W-was she a zombie!?
No, she was revived as a normal human.
However, on her way to the house, she was run over by a passing carriage and died once again.
Do you understand why this happened?
...Because it grants wishes, but they're only temporary?
Exactly.
That's why, even if you restored Ra Ciela with this item, it would likely disappear once again within minutes.
...I guess that means items like those that grant wishes are too good to be true.
Yes. That's why I don't think you should use this hand to make any wishes.
I understand!
But then... What exactly should we use this for?
Hmm... It may be too small to use as a backscratcher, but...
I believe you could use it to scoop cooked pasta from a pot. This size seems just about perfect for that.
...Hair would just end up getting in it. It seems it's unlucky no matter what it's used for.

Oh and this next one really bothers me for some reason, like if I ever saw someone wearing it I’d just have to blast them.

I modeled it after G. Falkes' face, is there something wrong?
I figured out what kind of person he was just by the name...
Can't you at least remove the blush from the cheeks?
Nope. Important components that activate this mask's effects are concentrated within that blush.
Although, there aren't any men here, so it wouldn't have much use anyway...
It doesn't work unless there are men around?
That's correct. The effect of this mask is making men appear more feminine.
It causes men to appear more feminine...
You mean like cross dressing?
...How did you already figure that out? And you already knew about this?
It's been appearing in a lot of novels and stuff lately. After seeing this mask, I kind of figured.
But if they aren't a pretty person to begin with, it would be kind of scary to see them like that.
Don't worry about that. It also turns any man's face into that of an androgynous beauty.
I originally created this to experience the feelings of Genom, who have no gender.
Now that you mention it, all Genom are pretty, and tend to have androgynous faces.
I see... So it would make all men look like that...

I mean and not even this specific one that only creepers would wear but anything even remotely like it.

A valid concern.
Even now there is an increasing issue of people constantly wearing this mask for that purpose.
I-is that true!?
As I said before, I created this to experience the feelings of Genom.
However, it seems the lack of distinction of gender viewed by Genom didn't transmit to most humans...
...So the only thing they're thinking is that they're living surrounded by cute people?
Exactly... Because of this, there are some who even go so far as to say that the Genom live in a harem...
...It sounds like an experience humans just can't handle.
It seems so. The worldly desires of humans is a truly frightening thing.

I don’t know what their problem with this rabbit is, looks fine to me.

Creepy?
S-sorry! It was really rude to say that in front of the person who made it.
No, I don't mind. This character was called creepy, among other things, by viewers at the time...
Viewers?
Have you never seen MHK's educational program "Genom Time"!?
O-oh! I did see it once at Delta's house!
It was a show teaching things about the Genom. I think this creepy doll's name was, um...
Oh, Uukun! This is Uukun, right?
It’s a little concerning that you called it creepy again, but that's correct.
This is an Uukun Puppet. It's modeled after the character who appeared on that show.
I'm sure anybody who knows the show would be struck by nostalgia when they see this.
Does anyone still know of a show from Ra Ciela?/Even though everyone called it creepy?
...W-well, there are still recordings, so I'm sure some people who've seen them would be fans.
However, as you'd expect, there aren't any fan goods sold now.
And that's why you think fans who see this would want to buy it.
However... I never thought you wouldn't know much about it, Ionasal...
I'm sure Delta and Cass would...
Oh wait, Delta has amnesia, so I guess only Cass would know.
It would be nice if she knew... Hmm... It's such a nostalgic show for me.

One of your aunt’s friends from that board racing thing always talks with words like this, it’s infuriating.

Yes. Although I'm not used to this style, so I'm not confident it turned out well...
It’s a super funky and cool picture!/So that’s why it’s so bad!!
H-hey, you shouldn't say that! You can't say something like that about Kanon...
Ionasal, it's okay. There wouldn't be much meaning to using this design otherwise.
To be honest, I don't really understand what words like "funky" or "cool" imply anyway.
However, since I used story art as a reference, I'll take those words as a compliment.
But it's pretty interesting that you'd draw story art, Kanon...
I-is it strange for me to draw pictures like this...?
No, it's just... You don't really have that image. Maybe you'd be better at landscapes?
Why did you suddenly decide to draw this... And on a TxBIOS, of all places?
That's because use of this TxBIOS with Song Magic has a certain effect.
Does it make you want to draw pictures like this?
No, it makes you want to start a "super cool" and stylish, "classy" dance.
What!?
If you sing while in possession of this Classy Dance Class, it makes you want to start a "super classy" dance.
A combination of song and dance... Wouldn't that be enough to raise your spirits?
In other words, um... Please wait a moment.
...Is she reading a magazine?
Hm hm... I see, I understand.
In other words, this will raise your tension to a "super awesome" level.
Hm? Is something wrong?
Kanon... Do you even have any idea what you're saying?
N-no... I used this magazine as a reference and borrowed phrases straight from it...
...Did I say something wrong?
No, it's fine. I feel a lot better after hearing you say that!
But I don't think you should explain it like this to anybody else.
I see... Does that mean the phrases I used were insulting?
N-no, that's not the issue... Uu, how could I possibly explain this?

Kinda makes me want to hit them in the face.

Hehe, it seems you're so surprised, you can't even speak.
U-um... Is this... Um...
...W-what is this?
Huh?
What do you mean? That should be obvious. This is the bear you made before, Ionasal.
I remade it into a robot to be more fitting of a new era. I call it the Robot Bear.
I'm very happy you turned my bear into a robot...
But... Unlike my bear, this is, um...
It looks pretty aggressive./It looks evil, right?
Ionasal, it's not good to judge things by their appearances.
Despite its appearance, this bear has a very kind heart in the setting I created.
Rather than calling it a setting, you could have just said it has a kind heart...
But I'm glad that you chose my bear to be the representative of a new era.
You originally created this bear during the Ra Ciela era, correct?
It never changed in appearance all this time, so I wanted to update it for a new era.
I hope this Robot Bear helps bring popularity to your bear again.
...I just hope that it doesn't get treated like a ward against evil spirits this time.

What? Shut up I don’t sound old, the mouth on you kids.

W-What's the matter?
Well... Even after the conversations we've had, I still ended up making a recipe that's... A little uptight.
Heave-ho heave-ho!/Why would you do that?
P-Please, anything but that. I just can't get used to it.
I-I understand... It's going to be just fine!
B-Besides, I'm not used to seeing you like that, Kanon, so I'm not sure how to react...
A-And you shouldn't be saying things like that.
But what made you decide to make this recipe?
...If I had to say, it would probably be because... The next era is right around the corner...
There're talks of planet migration and revivals, which means the next era isn't far behind.
So I felt we needed tools to prepare ourselves for the dawn of a new era.
So that's why...
I'm sorry. Do you think this recipe isn't any good after all?

…Did I just say that? Oh that’s awful, I do sound old, ugh.

When the next era comes, it would be unfortunate if we weren't prepared.
A-Are you sure...? I was worried you'd be upset with me, but... That makes me feel a little better.
Well, enough waiting, please, take a look at the recipe.
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Transitioning to a New Era]!
Wow... It feels very modern...
Huh!?
I-Ionasal, is something wrong!?
Huh? O-Oh, no... I'm fine.
What's this strange feeling... It's like an aura of the future...
An... Aura?
Hehe, well, it IS a recipe to help us prepare. It wouldn't surprise me if it had strange power.
U-Umm, actually... I was thinking it was a bit creepier than that...
Creepy?
O-Oh, it's nothing!
It's probably just my imagination. L-Let's see what we can make out of it!

Again don’t get the whole creepy thing. Recipe seems totally legit to me.

Hehe, it seems that you understand the symbolism.
What!? U-um, that's not what I...
It's okay, I understand.
What do you think? Do you sense anything from this statue?
I sense the bonds of a new era./I sense a murderous aura.
...As I'd expect of Ionasal's partner. I knew you would understand.
Whaaat!?
Ionasal, why are you acting so surprised?
Oh, u-um, it's nothing! I was just amazed at my partner! Yeah!
It's just, um...
I-it's really peculiar, or maybe I should say, er, a unique design, isn't it!
Hehe, it's true that it turned out a little avant-garde, and some people may find it unpleasant.
..."Some" people?
However, I firmly believe that they would eventually learn to accept it.
Because this is a symbol of bonds!
A world willing to accept "that" statue sounds a little scary...

You know as I think about it sci-fi kind of depends on the culture, I’m sure some losers somewhere think it’s sci-fi to create planets with songs even.

It's true this is a strange shape, but I don't understand the excitement...
It's exactly like the shape of a space station that would be in a science fiction novel.
Kanon, do you not read sci-fi?
I think our life on this spacecraft is sci-fi enough...
That's different. Living in a spacecraft isn't all there is to sci-fi, you know.
It seems that you have an even more inquisitive mind than I thought.
R-really? I don't really think that's true...
No, I don't think there are that many people with such a level of curiosity.
Don't you think so, too?
It’s just like Kanon says./No, I think she’s pretty normal.
R-really? Hmm, I never really thought so myself...
It's not unusual for the person in question to be the least aware.
In this case, it should be guaranteed that using Song Magic with this Spherial Class will raise its power.
My inquisitiveness has something to do with this?
Exactly. The greater one's curiosity, the more one wishes to tread into the unknown, correct?
It's the same with Song Magic.
The excitement of feelings one has not yet experienced. Transcending one's limits into new boundaries...
This Spherial Link makes all that possible.
It stimulates your curiosity, helping you advance into unknown territory beyond your limits...
If you use Song Magic in a state like that, wouldn't it be far more powerful than anything used before?
Yes. The excitement caused by feelings you have never experienced will allow you to experience their power as well.
Are you afraid?
...No, just the opposite.
I'm looking forward to seeing just how much more curious I become!
Hehe... If you're already so curious, I wonder what will happen when you actually use Song Magic.
I'm beginning to feel a little excited myself.

Kanon also had some more recipes inspired by Ion herself.

Of course! You made that one just for me... How could I forget?
Hehe, I'm glad you like it so much. You might like this one a lot, too.
I-I should probably let you look at it, first...
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Raising Ion Pt.2]!
Wow, you made another recipe just for me?
It's been a while since I made the last one, so I thought a new one was overdue.
And, you're up against harder enemies, too, right?
Yes... Honestly, I was afraid we would lose one of these days...
I know how you probably feel, but you can't stop believing in yourself.
The moment you lose confidence is when the enemy will beat you.
I-I'm sorry...
But if you use the tools from this recipe, I'm confident you'll be much stronger...
...or, I hope so, anyway.
Hehe, you can't say for sure if it will make me stronger since it's still a recipe, right?
Exactly...
But it's based on the previous version, so I'm sure it'll create items that you can use.
I hope you trust my judgment... And yourself, as well.
Don't worry Kanon... Of course I believe you!
I'm sure it'll create something amazing to block any kind of attack!

Earthes continued to be kind and express unwarranted optimism.

Huh!? Umm, I can't say it'll be THAT amazing...
I'm not worried. You're pretty amazing, so I think the item will be, too!
Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed at least.
Hehehe, I'm sorry, I guess I got a little carried away.
If it makes you happy, then it was worth the effort.
All we can do is hope it makes something useful.

Optimism immediately dispelled by the results of the recipe.

Yes, that's correct. I drew your face on shortbread.
Considering that, let's see... How does the name Ionasabread sound?
U-um... There's something that worries me more than the name...
Hm? What would that be?
W-well, this is really hard to say, but, um...
What!?
(Watch quietly)/You have no artistic ability, Kanon.
If there's an issue, please tell me. It'll help me improve.
...I understand. Okay then, I'll tell you directly.
Yes, please do so.
Kanon... This doesn't look like me at all.
I-it doesn't? Hmm, it looks like you to me...
Uu... This is how you see my face...
It's true that it might not look like you, but...
It's meant to represent your true form, deep within your heart, so it's actually quite abstract!

Seriously way too nice.

...My true form is a messed up face like this?
N-no, it's just, what I'm trying to say is, u-um...
A-anyway, why don't you taste it! Flavor is more important than appearance with cooking!
H-haah... Okay then... Om.
...Nn!
H-how is it!?
This is really delicious! It looks awful, but it tastes amazing!
Whew... That's good. It looks like you're smiling again.
I hope that the customers who come to eat this smile as big as you are now.
N-no! Please don't sell this.
I don't want anybody thinking that this is how I look!
You don't seem to like it at all... I thought I had drawn it to resemble you quite well...

I will say Kanon’s products tended to have a better logic than some of the ones I’ve seen.

No, that's how it should be. The wife is the one who needs to eat more.
B-but if she ate this much, she'd get fat...
What are you talking about!? You do realize that you won't have a healthy baby if you keep believing that...
W-what!? W-why are you bringing this up so suddenly...
Ionasal. This is a serious subject, so please listen carefully.
Most couples are blessed with children sooner or later.
In order to have those children, the mother must be in good health.
Is it so the baby inside her will grow healthy?
Exactly. Her body must also be healthy enough to endure childbirth.
There are many cases where women lose their lives during delivery.
I didn't know... It sounds like childbirth is really serious.
I'm still not finished!
Once childbirth is finished, one must next raise the child!
Infants must be fed, or use the restroom very often, so the mother may have days where she cannot sleep.

It’s a good thing Kanon’s impression was wrong by the way, for you all. Just saying.

That's brought up often, but actually, there aren't very many husbands who do a satisfactory amount of the work.
For the most part, the wife has to get up and comfort the child until they stop crying.
That's not right... A child is created between two people. The wife shouldn't have to do all the work...
Well, more husbands help raise the child than in the past, but the proportion is still pretty low.
That's why I decided the wife needs more strength than the husband, and created these Couple Bowls.
I understand now. If you're thinking of raising a child, you need to eat well and maintain a healthy body.
Exactly. Ionasal, you should also begin thinking of the future, and use this starting today.
Oh, um... I-I think it might be... Just a little too early for that...

Anyway, we’re almost done here.

It generates quite a lot of heat when used... Do you think it's too large?
No, it's fine.
I actually feel at ease knowing there's a big heatsink attached.
I don't really understand, but... Perhaps that's because you like machines so much?
Hmm... I guess that's right? Besides, regular people might never even see a heatsink like this.
But this is a really stylish shape. It almost looks like a comb.
...That's correct. Actually, there's one thing that I need to apologize about regarding this.
This RNA... Called Cuticlear, actually has a rather large effect on cuticles, and...
What’s a cuticle?/Does that mean it’s cute?
Isn't it a hair style where you gather up your hair into curls?
No, the cuticle is the outermost layer of the hair.
Hair is structured in three layers... Ionasal, you didn't know this?
Uu... I don't know much when it comes to beauty stuff like that...
But does that mean that this RNA protects the hair rather than the body!?
No, it protects the body as well! Its performance is greater than other RNA.
However, the protection it offers the body is only about 1/10 the protection it offers hair...
...I'd be happier if it were the opposite.
Sorry about that...
But I feel better knowing that it protects the body too.
You're happy too, right? If it only protected hair, it would be pretty useless for you.
This body is a machine, after all./…Are you calling me bald?
Yeah... Maybe it would be better if we put a wig on you?
Wigs don't have cuticles, so this wouldn't have an effect.
Oh, right... Then I guess there wouldn't be much point.
More importantly, I don't believe placing a wig on Earthes would be suitable at all.

Alright, snack time everyone! I’m going to be stuck here for a while I think, so we’ll pick this up again after.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: Felie

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

MONKEY'S DOGGY'S PAAAAAW!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Update in the next couple of days kicking back into Tattoria's, it's probably the best side content in the game. It 'might' run long and need to split into two updates, not sure.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Should have an update with half of Tattoria's remaining scenes tomorrow, I've checked the length of the raw scenes and they are indeed more than 50k characters total before things like icons and such.

EponymousMrYar posted:

So many... things... being made.

It's funny because it's only a few syntheses, it's just the scenes resolving this whole Felie situation are pretty long and eventful. We do like a thing that is cool and smart even, it's amazing.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 24, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

So many... things... being made.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
It took awhile, but I think I've figured out why Ion's genometrics aren't really working, from a writers prospective: the main source of the problem is Ciel, where almost all of Ion's character development happened. The problem Ar Nosurge faces is that Ciel was basically a coming-of-age story where Ion...well, came of age. That means that the writers of Ar Nosurge had to figure out how to make Ion interesting without bringing back the problems she resolved in Ciel, as those problems could only come back logically with an amnesia plotline, and I believe I speak for everyone when I say, "dear lord no, not another amnesia story." That leaves only one real possibility to continue her story in an interesting way: her circumstances had to go through a massive change.

And that happened! Kind of. See, Ion relied heavily on her friends in Ciel, but here, she quickly found herself working against them to save the Sharl (and everyone else too). That's good: nothing is quite so dramatic as dear friends being forced against each other out of personal belief. Trouble is, this state of affairs was resolved too soon. WAY to soon. Sure, Ion saved Nay's life, and Ion's logic and actions were clear enough to make a protracted conflict between the friends feel arbitrary and forced, but the emotional fallout should have been another matter entirely. Being forced to attack one's friends isn't the kind of thing that should be patched up after a hug or two: Ion and crew should have suffered some major trust issues after that, taking time to mend the connection with each of Ion's friends. Instead, the writers seem to have glossed over that issue and focused on everyone's dependence problems instead.

Now, mutual dependence was certainly a problem in Ciel, and it certainly needed to be addressed at some point in this story, but the real center of Ion's genometrics should have been a fear that she'll never be able to truly reconnect with people she used to know, and they with her: a fear centered on the idea that living on board a space ship for thousands of years simply created too wide an emotional gulf for Ion to cross. THAT would be a logical extension of the greater story in Ar Nosurge; instead, we got a logical extension of what happened in Ciel, which just doesn't quite work.

TL;DR: Ion was given Ciel's problems as a priority in her genometrics, even though Ar Nosurge created different problems that should have been addressed first.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
That... actually makes complete sense.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The thing is, if you do Ion up like that, about being betrayed by people and trying to reconnect, isn't she just kind of Cass 2.0 then?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Glazius posted:

The thing is, if you do Ion up like that, about being betrayed by people and trying to reconnect, isn't she just kind of Cass 2.0 then?
Yeah, that's sort of the other problem. There's already that theme with Cass, even if it is mainly related to Delta. They're all set up to do that perfectly (which they have done.)

The main thing that's sort of missing in Ion's dives is the Earthes connection. Being a literal interface device it's fine if the robot isn't given much personality but the player-insert is kinda-sorta taken for granted, even after Delta re-Interdimend's up. More conflict there, especially after Prim's Interdimend use stops being a mystery would have been interesting. A lack of faith or lingering doubts to be dispelled would have been perfectly understandable: 'I know you saved my life and I'm grateful but I barely know anything about you. What if you've been lying/playing nice with us just for your own satisfaction? Do you even care about us, being on the other side?' or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Glazius posted:

That wasn't about betrayal: that was about Zill using Cass's darkest thoughts/fears against her by exploiting her crippling lack of self-esteem.We have no reason to suspect that any of Cass's friends would *actually* betray her to Zill for any reason, even if there's something about Cass they don't like. But Ion's friends *did* fight her. She may even have died, if the gravity hadn't been lowered where she fell.

Thus, Ion's problem is different: if other people become antagonistic towards her, she'll fight back. Instead, the real difficulty would be if Ion's friends were sincerely trying to go back to the level their previous relationship with her, but found that they couldn't, because Ion simply lacks the mindset that should go with being under siege for lord-knowns-how-many years; and since Ion is afraid of being alone, she would probably over-compensate by trying to forcibly reshape her relationships, making things worse (and thus requiring help from the player).

Instead, we got to learn about body-swap angst and Ion's co-dependence with others, neither of which needed the level of focus they got. The only thing really 'right' about Ion's genometrics was her relationship with the player, which was done really well and would have made a fantastic nadir if she was depressed by realization that she shouldn't be able to get her old relationships back as she originally had them. Instead, she should have been made to build new relationships, starting with the player and then expanding from there.

EponymousMrYar posted:

...The main thing that's sort of missing in Ion's dives is the Earthes connection. Being a literal interface device it's fine if the robot isn't given much personality but the player-insert is kinda-sorta taken for granted, even after Delta re-Interdimend's up. More conflict there, especially after Prim's Interdimend use stops being a mystery would have been interesting. A lack of faith or lingering doubts to be dispelled would have been perfectly understandable: 'I know you saved my life and I'm grateful but I barely know anything about you. What if you've been lying/playing nice with us just for your own satisfaction? Do you even care about us, being on the other side?' or something like that.

This is a good point, and increased player interaction directly with each of the characters as the game went on could have easily lifted the game from "decent" to "great", even with its problems: going from someone everyone suspects and fears to a friend/lover everyone would be heartbroken to be separated from would be an excellent use of the story mechanic.

Alas, the game may simply have lacked the time to make what would amount to an entirely new round of genometrics.

• Locked thread