Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Powered Descent posted:

and Admiral Nechayev just above Riker (she would gently caress your poo poo UP.)

For real, Nechayev would just straight-up kick a guy in the balls, then lecture you about everything you just did wrong. And she'd be right about it, too. You see those pips on her collar? Those are admiral pips, and that means she doesn't have to put up with anyone's poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Powered Descent posted:

Let's include off-ship recurring characters too. I'd put Lore just barely underneath Data (identical capabilities, but as a wise man once said, anger is a weapon only to one's opponent), Lwaxana Troi just under Ensign Ro (she's only that high because she can literally read the other person's mind and so would know what they're about to do), and Admiral Nechayev just above Riker (she would gently caress your poo poo UP.)

Agreed on all counts. Admiral Nachayev would be the Brock Lesnar to Lore and Data's Kane and Undertaker.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

ewhat abojt the predator faced alien who says PLAY DOM JOT HUMON?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Mr. Pumroy posted:

ewhat abojt the predator faced alien who says PLAY DOM JOT HUMON?

Any competent Barokie player could dust a Dom jot playing Nausicaan. All that minor wrist movement and trigonometry really pays off in a streetfight.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

happyhippy posted:

Hah, checked memory alpha and Ensign Ro got TWO YEARS for the poo poo she pulled.
Then went and became HEAD OF loving SECURITY at DS9.

I think we saw different shows.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Gutcruncher posted:

I think we saw different shows.

hes posting from the mirror universe

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
admiral ross looks like a guy who gets angry-drunk at his kid's sports games and beats the poo poo out of the other dads... a force to be reckoned with imo

I'm Crap fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 19, 2015

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Star Trek Online has her as head of security on DS9 atm.
Stopped playing it so cant confirm/deny this, but says it on Memory Alpha

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i like major kira but ds9 would have been better with ro as an ex-starfleet bajoran liason officer imo

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

TEAYCHES posted:

i like major kira but ds9 would have been better with ro as an ex-starfleet bajoran liason officer imo

*in Plinkett voice* shouldn't she be in a prison??

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Has anyone read the casting call for TNG? Some of them are pretty funny. Wheaton was cast in a girl's role and they wanted Geordi to be black..but not too black.

https://books.google.com/books?id=A...epage&q&f=false

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's federation prison tho. It's still a post scarcity utopia. You get average food because there is no reason to give you bad food. Your room is a little smaller than the free apartment you got back home, but probably bigger than the lowbie crew quarters on an average starship, and certainly nicer than a bajoran refugee camp. No holosuite time and probably pretty strict replicator restrictions. It's just boring. They were barely able to talk Tom Paris into leaving prison to pilot Voyager. 'Would you rather be in prison or fly a starship?' 'Meh, six of one, half a dozen of the other.'

The federation is all about rehabilitation. Their prisons are humane but boring, so you'll willingly participate in the rehabilitation programs just for something to do. Councillors as far as the eye can see.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
i wonder if Harold turns out to be super gay in the next movie

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Tezzor posted:

Voice: Constable Odo supports revolving door prisons. Constable Odo even released Elim Garak, a man twice convicted of attempted genocide. Can you trust a man like Constable Odo? Vote Elim Garak for Constable.

I like how they would periodically allow loving "SPACE HITLER" Dukat hang out on the station so he could creep on Kira. Running forced labor camps and enslaving an entire race? Oh it's all good because he's a terrorist now.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
DS9 has pretty realistic politics, yeah. poo poo's changing all the time, today's enemy is tomorrow's ally.

It's like Metal Gear Solid 3 in space

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

DS9 has pretty realistic politics, yeah. poo poo's changing all the time, today's enemy is tomorrow's ally.

It's like Metal Gear Solid 3 in space

Benjamin, remember the basics of CQC.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

A federation prison is basically like one of those insanely expensive rehab clinics but it gets you off crime instead of drugs

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Angela Christine posted:

It's federation prison tho. It's still a post scarcity utopia. You get average food because there is no reason to give you bad food. Your room is a little smaller than the free apartment you got back home, but probably bigger than the lowbie crew quarters on an average starship, and certainly nicer than a bajoran refugee camp. No holosuite time and probably pretty strict replicator restrictions. It's just boring. They were barely able to talk Tom Paris into leaving prison to pilot Voyager. 'Would you rather be in prison or fly a starship?' 'Meh, six of one, half a dozen of the other.'

The federation is all about rehabilitation. Their prisons are humane but boring, so you'll willingly participate in the rehabilitation programs just for something to do. Councillors as far as the eye can see.

I really think a conjugal visit with a holodeck every now and then would be written into Federation Law.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Boinks posted:

Has anyone read the casting call for TNG? Some of them are pretty funny. Wheaton was cast in a girl's role and they wanted Geordi to be black..but not too black.

shoulda kept the jheri curl

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
hard time. oof. the obrien must suffer-est of the obrien must suffers

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

he got extra food though, hardly suffering

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

chaosbreather posted:

A federation prison is basically like one of those insanely expensive rehab clinics but it gets you off crime instead of drugs

Our main news story tonight: Opponents to the current government have criticised existing Federation prison regulations for the lack of Holodeck time prisoners are allowed. Leader of the Opposition Jez'Bak Haardul told Federation News that some inmates serving sentences for their entire lives were only entitled to just 5 minutes of holodeck time per day.

The government has denied that it's holodeck limitation policy is cruel, but the news has sparked protests over the treatment of prisoners. Naturally these protests were conducted within holodecks, but we are told were those protesters to take to the streets there would have been potentially millions of participants.

Now do Tu'Lorvar for the sport.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Kitchner posted:

Thanks, Tom. Disaster struck at the Parrises Squares tournament today as several contestants fell from their squares and broke their necks. Their corpses are currently being examined for possible PED use leading to balance problems and overaggression. On Gault Colony, a youth football player was killed following a headbutt from the only Klingon player on the planet. And in Anbo-jyutsu news...

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Kitchner posted:

Thanks gently caress YOU DELSABER

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

happyhippy posted:

Thanks gently caress YOU DELSABER

Do the space-weather you idiot. That always comes after sports.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I'm really surprised they didn't come across more poo poo like this during Star Trek:

quote:

The series 5 long-range tactical armor unit was a type of highly-advanced antimatter torpedo designed by the Druoda, a Delta Quadrant species.

At just over one meter long, the torpedo was a weapon designed for mass destruction. Its explosive yield consisted of a highly focused antimatter explosion with a blast radius of two hundred kilometers. The armor unit was powered by a condensed energy matrix, which alone could power a fleet of starships. Instead of a standard computer core, there was an on-board class-11 artificial intelligence which used bio-neural circuitry to mimic humanoid synaptic functions. The intelligence was programmed to take every measure necessary to ensure that it reached its target. When separated from its explosive components and reprogrammed, it could be used to regulate a planet's weather grid for terraforming purposes.

The weapon was warp-capable, had a maximum range of eighty light years, and was protected by paratrinic shielding. Its sensors were able to detect both its position and when its systems were being tampered with. The torpedo was programmed with a targeting threshold of two light years meaning that, when it was within two light years of its target, it could not disarm or divert – not even with the correct command codes. However, the detonation sequence could be stopped by routing an electromagnetic pulse through its power matrix.

Like, why have the Romulans never done this?

I mean sure this weapon is from Voyager (:argh:) and so is the Cardassian version of this, but these types of things seem like the perfect weapon. Put a warp drive in what is essentially a nuke and just have it travel at maximum warp at the enemy broadcasting the identity signal of a freighter or something.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Because they would learn to detect it using their parsectical fwappadappa pizotronic radiation matrix and disarm the warhead from whatever else, goddamn

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kitchner posted:

I'm really surprised they didn't come across more poo poo like this during Star Trek:

I mean sure this weapon is from Voyager (:argh:) and so is the Cardassian version of this, but these types of things seem like the perfect weapon. Put a warp drive in what is essentially a nuke and just have it travel at maximum warp at the enemy broadcasting the identity signal of a freighter or something.

You don't even need a nuke or any kind of explosive payload, just slap an antimatter engine on an asteroid and slam it into your opponent's homeworld at warp 9 and it'll punch right through the planet. Or run the Enterprise into it, which should amount to pretty much the same thing

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Kitchner posted:

If you can't insult the captain of the other ship with sarcastic retorts just before jumping him with you two hidden Warbird mates, it just ain't worth doing.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

skasion posted:

You don't even need a nuke or any kind of explosive payload, just slap an antimatter engine on an asteroid and slam it into your opponent's homeworld at warp 9 and it'll punch right through the planet. Or run the Enterprise into it, which should amount to pretty much the same thing

A little bit easier to detect an asteroid moving at warp 9 than something that looks like a ship broadcasting civilian ship identities.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

happyhippy posted:

If you can't insult the captain of the other ship with sarcastic retorts just before jumping him with you two hidden Warbird mates, it just ain't worth doing.

Shall we obliterate them while cloaked Captain as their Shields are down?

No, decloak us right in front of their ship and make sure our ships are nose to nose as it were and facing the right way. I swear to God crewman if we decloak upside down on their viewscreen again I'll have you shot.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kitchner posted:

everyone in the alpha quadrant is extremely uncreative, from years of holodeck exposure

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skasion posted:

sure, and then they can do the same thing to your homeworld

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Rutibex posted:

everyone in the alpha quadrant is extremely uncreative, from years of holodeck exposure

Easy solution:

Computer. *Beep* using the holder design a weapon of mass destruction that will easily anticipate all my enemy's detection methods and reach their homeworld unscathed before annihilating them.

*creates moriarty with a nuclear bomb for a head*

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The Dominion were gonna blow up an entire star system to take out every major Alpha Quadrant fleet in one fell swoop, that's pretty harsh io

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

the dominion was right

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Death to all gross slime monsters

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i serve the founders in all things

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Death to all gross slime monsters

Enabran Tain did nothing wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

skasion posted:

I think that was basically the idea behind mass drivers on Babylon 5 and elsewhere, except you don't even need to waste a perfectly good engine on those, just collect asteroid debris and accelerate it inside a chamber then shoot it at your target when it's got the right velocity.

But because it's Star Trek, and Voyager specifically, anyone using asteroids against planets were following some hilariously complex Cobra Commander plan that can break the second some random Starfleet away team shows up and starts poking around.

• Locked thread