Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

InitialDave posted:

I don't know if you can get them in the US, but a Monument MP1600 plunger may work.

I ended up getting it with the boiling hot water and soap trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What did you eat that caused you to clog your toilet that badly?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Rhyno posted:

What did you eat that caused you to clog your toilet that badly?

Three giant burritos from a weird dodgy stand at a music festival. I wasn't even high, I can be stupid sober. They were loving amazing, "southern fusion" with fried chicken and shrimp, mashed potatoes, gravy, and cheese in them. They had to be like two thousand calories each, I still feel dirty and ill from it, and it was Friday night.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sounds like it was worth it then.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

warcake posted:

I passed my bus licence, yay. I'm not a bus driver but I need it for my job fixing trucks and buses so at least I didn't have to pay for it. I did not enjoy squeezing a 52 seat coach around a town centre for an hour.

Hopefully i should get my truck licence in the next few months, only another theory test and 2 more driving tests!

How come you need a bus licence? I thought that was only if you were actually carrying (over 8) passengers, otherwise you could drive it on a Class 2 (Cat C) licence?

Congrats though!

I want to do Class 1, but it's like 3k and i don't plan on driving trucks all that soon.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Sinestro posted:

I ended up getting it with the boiling hot water and soap trick.

Last time I tried that it wrecked my wax seal and made a horrible mess. Replaced it with a Jacuzzi shitter and I swear I could flush a brick down that fucker without it clogging. Like, I threw my plunger out. It's that good.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

How come you need a bus licence? I thought that was only if you were actually carrying (over 8) passengers, otherwise you could drive it on a Class 2 (Cat C) licence?

Congrats though!

I want to do Class 1, but it's like 3k and i don't plan on driving trucks all that soon.

Thanks man. Well there was a bit of a panic as its a bit of a grey area with regards to how far you can drive them from your base and for what purposes, so to stay squeaky clean they've put some of us through it, then discovered we were right and you can drive it on a cat c but it was too late they had paid for it. Cost 1.3k for that licence apparently.

Still, I can't drive any bus commercially with passengers in it because I haven't done the CPC :thumbsup:

EDIT: I can also now drive a 25,000kg interdeck 75 seat coach, but i can't drive our 4500kg transit

warcake fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 20, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

warcake posted:

its a bit of a grey area
The licensing rules annoy me. I agree that it's right that the more restrictive requirements weren't backdated (which would screw over millions of people), but it annoys me that I need hundreds of pounds worth of courses/testing to have the same gross weight/towing allowance as my parents.

And gently caress your "plated weights" restriction. Take me to a weighbridge if you want to book me, you lazy cunts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Where are you that CDLs cost this much?

I mean, I get not having a vehicle to take it in so you pay a school, etc. But if you have a working bus that will pass a pre-trip it's like $100 in PA.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

warcake posted:

Thanks man. Well there was a bit of a panic as its a bit of a grey area with regards to how far you can drive them from your base and for what purposes, so to stay squeaky clean they've put some of us through it, then discovered we were right and you can drive it on a cat c but it was too late they had paid for it. Cost 1.3k for that licence apparently.

Still, I can't drive any bus commercially with passengers in it because I haven't done the CPC :thumbsup:

Yeah, it's Cat C because it's over 3.5t, but you don't need D because you won't be carrying passengers. How does it work with the crossover for Cat C/D on the whole weight rating thing? Does D have the same entitlement as C for weight, but with the addition of carrying 8+ passengers, or do you need to do Cat C (Class 2) as well because it's over 3.5t?

Are you doing Class 1 or 2? Do you need the trailer endorsement or do you not need to pull trailers for work?

CPC is more bullshit we have here (and i think only here?), sitting in a classroom for 35 hours like a naughty schoolboy being taught how to be a "professional". Probably by someone who's never driven anything bigger than a car.

That said, it appears the bus CPC is more enjoyable than the truck CPC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik1skVQGxj8

I've spent the day doing more enjoyable van maintenance. New alternator pulley, new cam belt kit and waterpump. Continued trying to remove whatever the gently caress is on the windscreen, nothing except metal polish will remove it and it causes smearing. What the fuuuuuck? Also washed it, and again it looks worse than it did before.

Now listening to Elton John which is so loving awesome it's actually relaxing me.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

The licensing rules annoy me. I agree that it's right that the more restrictive requirements weren't backdated (which would screw over millions of people), but it annoys me that I need hundreds of pounds worth of courses/testing to have the same gross weight/towing allowance as my parents.

And gently caress your "plated weights" restriction. Take me to a weighbridge if you want to book me, you lazy cunts.

The whole licencing system is hosed. Although it's hilarious that my mum can drive a 12.5t wagon and drag with her licence, having had no training what so ever to do so.

I want a trailer licence but it's like £500-750 and then i need a tacho if i use it for work, and an operator's licence (tax) and all that poo poo. Fuuuuuuuck all this poo poo. I just want to put my poo poo in my van, my car on a trailer, and drive the gently caress away into the sunset.

My mate recently got an £810 fine to taking his 18t down a 7.5t restriction. Including a "victim surcharge" for the victim that didn't exist.

Motronic posted:

I mean, I get not having a vehicle to take it in so you pay a school, etc. But if you have a working bus that will pass a pre-trip it's like $100 in PA.

England.

Class 2 (rigid) will cost you £2k+

Class 1 (artic) will cost you another ~£1k as you have to have Class 2 already.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

Yeah, it's Cat C because it's over 3.5t, but you don't need D because you won't be carrying passengers. How does it work with the crossover for Cat C/D on the whole weight rating thing? Does D have the same entitlement as C for weight, but with the addition of carrying 8+ passengers, or do you need to do Cat C (Class 2) as well because it's over 3.5t?

Are you doing Class 1 or 2? Do you need the trailer endorsement or do you not need to pull trailers for work?

D is its own seperate thing, as a PCV (passenger carrying vehicle) licence allows me to drive any passenger carrying vehicle with more than 8 seats, it doesn't entitle me to drive any goods carrying vehicle at all.

I will be doing Cat C+E as we take vehicles for test with our test trailer.

Motronic posted:

Both parts of the theory test cost less than £100 and the practical test was like £120 maybe?

Its because of the use of a training schools bus and time it costs so much I guess.

That loving old bus would drink ~180 litres on a days driving.

Mooseykins posted:

The whole licencing system is hosed. Although it's hilarious that my mum can drive a 12.5t wagon and drag with her licence, having had no training what so ever to do so.

I want a trailer licence but it's like £500-750 and then i need a tacho if i use it for work, and an operator's licence (tax) and all that poo poo. Fuuuuuuuck all this poo poo. I just want to put my poo poo in my van, my car on a trailer, and drive the gently caress away into the sunset.

In a stroke of common sense now however, you can take all of your truck and bus tests in autos and get a full manual license as long as you did your car test in a manual.

warcake fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 20, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

warcake posted:

D is its own seperate thing, as a PCV (passenger carrying vehicle) licence allows me to drive any passenger carrying vehicle with more than 8 seats, it doesn't entitle me to drive any goods carrying vehicle at all.

I will be doing Cat C+E as we take vehicles for test with our test trailer.

Oh right, i thought it was all based on weight rating.

God drat, they're spending on cash on you. That'll be like almost £5k in training (retail) they're paying for. Shame that HGV driving pays poo poo here.

Is the pay decent at your work? I always wanted to get into working on trucks when i was younger, and applied for all the manufacturers, but never got as much as a call back from any of them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

Bear in mind that to get a full bike licence in the UK is a bare minimum $350, and that's assuming you have a bike, kit and insurance already, and don't need any training beyond the mandated Compusory Basic Training (CBT is at least $150 of that cost). I'm just old enough that my car licence includes a 50cc entitlement automatically, you don't even get that now.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

Oh right, i thought it was all based on weight rating.

God drat, they're spending on cash on you. That'll be like almost £5k in training (retail) they're paying for. Shame that HGV driving pays poo poo here.

Is the pay decent at your work? I always wanted to get into working on trucks when i was younger, and applied for all the manufacturers, but never got as much as a call back from any of them.

I sort of fell into it because I didn't know what to do with my life. Pays good though HGV mechanics are in short supply and the jobs pay anywhere from £14-18 ph with all the paid overtime you want. Plus shift allowances and callout fees if you do breakdowns etc.
The best paid truck drivers from the ones i've talked to seem to be the ones that move machinery/plant for the railways. Like north of £50k good.

InitialDave posted:

Bear in mind that to get a full bike licence in the UK is a bare minimum $350, and that's assuming you have a bike, kit and insurance already, and don't need any training beyond the mandated Compusory Basic Training (CBT is at least $150 of that cost). I'm just old enough that my car licence includes a 50cc entitlement automatically, you don't even get that now.

Don't forget they made that complicated too and you can't drive any bike you want unless you do the test at age 24.

warcake fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 20, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

warcake posted:

I sort of fell into it because I didn't know what to do with my life. Pays good though HGV mechanics are in short supply and the jobs pay anywhere from £14-18 ph with all the paid overtime you want. Plus shift allowances and callout fees if you do breakdowns etc.
The best paid truck drivers from the ones i've talked to seem to be the ones that move machinery/plant for the railways. Like north of £50k good.

Yeah, some plant can pay well. A mate of mine worked as a diesel mech for a company that did plant/crane/genset hire and their drivers were paid better than most. I think some of that was more down to people wanting stuff right loving now.

I did 8 years as a car mech, got level 3 light vehicle and basically everything to equip my own workshop, and now done almost 2 years as a driver/courier. I still don't know what i want to do when (if) i grow up. Planning to go to Spain in a month and scout jobs there with a view to moving there for 6-12 months minimum.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Nodoze posted:

Why are you paying 4 bucks for a coffee

It's not coffee. It's milk with a shitload of chemicals in it

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tommychu posted:

Last time I tried that it wrecked my wax seal and made a horrible mess. Replaced it with a Jacuzzi shitter and I swear I could flush a brick down that fucker without it clogging. Like, I threw my plunger out. It's that good.

You have a toilet that doubles as a hot tub?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Goons clogging toilets after eating 3 Goon Wrap Supremes. Jacuzzi toilet swinger parties. A good day in the general chat thread

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's not coffee. It's milk with a shitload of chemicals in it

Farmers union powers half of the construction industry, most of National Parks and a fair whack of the population here. One of the very few places in the world where a milk drink outsells coke.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

It's a loving flashing light. Of course it's intermittent. :colbert:

I know this was two days ago but thanks, this cheered up a lovely day.

Passed the MOT on Saturday, hazard switch had started to disintegrate, I lashed it together with a variety of types of tapes and cable ties. New one ordered. Fiat next, wonder which of the many squeaks and rattles will be deemed excessive. At least parts are cheap and it's easy to work on.

Spent most of today clearing stuff out of the attic and garden of the old house. After being evicted in a hurry we left some stuff being, had a chance to collect it but it cost me the rest of the weekend. I made sure I got all the kids toys and put them up so they have a swing, little trampoline, bikes etc again, but my lad has outgrown his. I'm on the lookout for a cheap kids bmx or similar now.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

I'm on the lookout for a cheap kids bmx or similar now.
Halfords have a sale on, how old is he?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

iwentdoodie posted:

I would love to have prints of those. That's cool as poo poo. Have you found just the quotes anywhere?

I know I could buy some old-stock magazines to get the originals, but they're small. Porsche doesn't have anything on their web site that I've seen. I'd love to find / make some poster-sized copies.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ferremit posted:

Farmers union powers half of the construction industry, most of National Parks and a fair whack of the population here. One of the very few places in the world where a milk drink outsells coke.

South Australian Farmers Union Iced Coffee is the drink of the Gods.

Strangely enough it isn't replicated in the Victorian version, which is a shame.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

I know I could buy some old-stock magazines to get the originals, but they're small. Porsche doesn't have anything on their web site that I've seen. I'd love to find / make some poster-sized copies.

They look simple enough to recreate. I'd totally buy a set if you can come up with something nice. Maybe in 11x17 size?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

They look simple enough to recreate. I'd totally buy a set if you can come up with something nice. Maybe in 11x17 size?

What you can't tell from the pictures is that there's a rasterized image of Ferry Porsche in the background, so it's more than just white-on-color, but a good original would be easy to scan and blow up.

I'm going to do some digging this week.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ferremit posted:

Dare Ice Coffee holds a similar position in NSW. Dunno how it compares to Farmers Union but it certainly powers me with 6am starts.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Waiting for the wife to get done shopping and watching trendy moms and dads trying to park their suburbans, armadas and 4 door pickups is amusing and sad.

Do you really need to be texting up a storm while you park your barge?

Also when did the Jeep Wrangler 4 door get bigger than a Land Rover Discovery?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Sounds like New Englanders and their Dunks. I'll shank a bitch if I don't get y large ice/hot 2 and 2 in the morning.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Sounds like New Englanders and their Dunks. I'll shank a bitch if I don't get y large ice/hot 2 and 2 in the morning.

Pfft, you Americans with your 2 and 2. It's double double, the proper Canadian way :canada:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Waiting for the wife to get done shopping and watching trendy moms and dads trying to park their suburbans, armadas and 4 door pickups is amusing and sad.

Stop making fun of my wife!

(actually, she's the one on the road that is driving a Disco like it's a sports car......I can't convince her than an S4 is a better choice for her right foot).

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

Stop making fun of my wife!

(actually, she's the one on the road that is driving a Disco like it's a sports car......I can't convince her than an S4 is a better choice for her right foot).
LR3 at the Nürburing: http://youtu.be/Csz2S6DezNw

She's not that far off.....

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it. Went to bleed some brakes and my mightyvac appears to be broken. Gonnahave to rig up a manual bottle tomorrow.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
C&C this morning. Saw an original owner '95 300ZX TT.

Upgraded turbos, IC, and all the piping and IM was chromed. Red, paint in amazing shape for being 20 years old (some swirls but to be expected). JDM tail lights, etc.
Thing was SUPER clean. I was impressed.

That is all.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

LR3 at the Nürburing: http://youtu.be/Csz2S6DezNw

She's not that far off.....

I want to give that drive a high five. Every turn at the limit of the tires.

Gonna show that to her.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

I want to give that drive a high five. Every turn at the limit of the tires.

Gonna show that to her.

For a giant heavy top heavy pig, its actually quite impressive.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So there was a huge car meet today and someone rolled in with a car that had a white power sticker and a confederate flag sticker

One of my friends my friends took a razor blade and took the stickers off for her and all hell broke loose lol

Now all the racists and free speech yards are going nuts on the Facebook page

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

So there was a huge car meet today and someone rolled in with a car that had a white power sticker and a confederate flag sticker

One of my friends my friends took a razor blade and took the stickers off for her and all hell broke loose lol

Now all the racists and free speech yards are going nuts on the Facebook page

Crikey.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I've emailed several people's companies with screenshots of their ultra racist and literally pro kkk speech so I'm sure there will be even more tears

There's 9,500 people in this group so all the nutters are coming out of the woodwork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

There's 9,500 people in this group so all the nutters are coming out of the woodwork

Surprised that many people still live in Michigan tbh

• Locked thread