Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Acne Rain posted:

all things aside and having the usual mess of too many ideas, this was a fun ride that probably won't hold up to a second viewing but I have just one question. Just one.

Why does davros have a guy made of snakes

The real question is; Why dont you?

I'm just kind of glad he was made of snakes. When he was gliding around I was halfway convinced he was going to be revealed to be wearing roller blades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SiKboy posted:

I'm just kind of glad he was made of snakes.

Welp, here it is. We've used this sentence unironically in an actual conversation. Shut down all of human speech, it's downhill from here.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Mr Beens posted:

Things that are still to resolved (all of which are reasonably big)

How did Missy come back?

She got better. :haw:

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
My favorite character is the BBC News strapline writer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mr Beens posted:

Things that are still to resolved (all of which are reasonably big)

How did Missy come back?

She's the Master, that's what she always does. If you want an explanation, as many of us noted when Death in Heaven aired, her "death" looked remarkably similar to the teleportation effect she used in that same episode - she also reveals in this episode she is wearing a Vortex Manipulator that enables crude travel through time and space, so there's your explanation right there.... as well as probably set up for her and Clara's ("your vortex manipulator is now slaved to mine") escape from their apparent deaths this episode.

Mr Beens posted:

Why was the doctor hiding?

After he unknowingly went to Skaro and met child Davros, he felt shame and loathing over the fact he ran away and heads off to meditate on his actions. He then hears that old Davros is alive and looking for him, leading to....

Mr Beens posted:

Why does he think it is his last day?

He knows that eventually agents of Davros will catch up to him or that he will have to just suck it up and go visit him, and that Davros will probably kill him (and he figures maybe he deserves it). So he decides he'll go and enjoy himself for a little while as a going-away present for himself, then go face the music.

Mr Beens posted:

What is in his will?

If it isn't some kind of trap/trick he's set up in advance, I imagine that it's ultimately irrelevant as anything more than a signifier for the characters (and the audience) that poo poo is serious and the Doctor thinks he is in trouble.

Flea Wars posted:

My favorite character is the BBC News strapline writer.

That whole section felt so RTD that I was legitimately surprised that Trinity Wells didn't show up. :xd:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

That whole section felt so RTD that I was legitimately surprised that Trinity Wells didn't show up. :xd:

Same here :(

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

He knows that eventually agents of Davros will catch up to him or that he will have to just suck it up and go visit him, and that Davros will probably kill him (and he figures maybe he deserves it). So he decides he'll go and enjoy himself for a little while as a going-away present for himself, then go face the music.

That mini prequel thing on Karn kinda showed that the scene where the snake guy went there to ask for the Doctor happened a while before. When he went into 'hiding' it was perfectly clear to him that snake guy was coming after him, and he wanted to do that meditate thing because apparently Timelords have to do that now before they die.

Anyway, it made me kinda sad that they showed an Ood with a slaveball in this episode. I guess it's more recognizable than a free Ood, but meh.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
For those who care, my review of The Magician's Apprentice will probably go up tomorrow evening. I just got back from 25 straight hours of playing Dungeons and Dragons for charity and my brain is trying to recover.

Initial thoughts

- Michelle Gomez is awesome. She's putting her own unique spin on this particular regeneration of the Master and I hope they don't end up overusing her.

- Anyone else trying to pull off the guitar/tank scene would have fallen flat on their face. This was truly Capaldi's "moment of charm."

- It really was a "throw everything and the kitchen sink at the screen" type of episode, with a lot of the first half adding Moffat's trademark "awesome" moments but not a lot to the overall story.

- It's enough to grab the attention of a returning viewer, but not too good at grabbing a new viewer.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jerusalem posted:

I know, right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

For those who care, my review of The Magician's Apprentice will probably go up tomorrow evening.

I'm very interested, I know for myself I prefer to look back at these episodes within the context of the entire season and how they relate to themes that might not have been immediately apparent. So it's cool to see reviews/write-ups in progress, kind of a purer look at the merits or otherwise of an episode without the benefit of hindsight to say,"Well this is automatically great now because it played into something coming 11 weeks down the line, even if it made no sense at the time."

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Rochallor posted:

If any of them still exist, I'd love it if they threw some movie Daleks in there from time to time. Partly because they look great and partly because it would confuse continuity even further.

We had one - another fan hire - but weren't allowed to use it.

This is the first time I've seen Missy/Gomez, she's incredible.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 20, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I loved drat near everything about this episode,. though I have a feeling it's one of those two parters that they should have just aired as one longer episode. (I wonder if that wasn't actually the original plan.)

I love Capaldi, and that guitar scene is probably my favorite of his since that bit in Flatline, but Michelle Gomez really stole the show. Missy and Clara together in particular was so much fun.

I have a feeling that we're going to end up with the revelation that the Doctor wasn't ashamed that he didn't save Davros, but is ashamed that he did. It would fit with Davros going on about compassion being an indulgence.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Snake guy was cool in concept, as were he swamp hand things in the beginning. Lots of floating good ideas!

Other then that the episode really solidified everything I dislike about old companions. They stop being interesting and fun to watch when they stop being people and turn into super secret agents (ala' Martha). It's just really eye-rolling when someone pulls them aside with: "the prime minister's on the phone and they want you!" and the character just smirks like they're off to work again. I don't really understand why that sort of stuff is even in the show- it almost always drags and is seldom interesting.

Also our heroes palin' around with The Master was really, really loving weird. I get the 'we're in this together' mentality of being stuck in prison, but that Clara stopped being pissed at her for straight up icing two dudes the second that scene ended was jarring. Also, Danny. Doctors got the whole Batman morality thing going on, but Clara should be either scared shitless or going for blood with Missy.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I think there needs to be a level of comfort with adventuring in companions just so they don't become irritating, but that level should not be as high as it has become. Too little comfort with adventuring is what hurts the Fifth Doctors early run a lot, as Tegan, Nyssa, Adric, and Turlogh never stop complaining, it was such a relief when right before the Five Doctors Tegan and Turlogh finally just decided they wanted to keep adventuring, screw going home.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The snake guy in the "dress" looked like he was levitating using one of those hands free segways. Every time he moved I laughed.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have a question

The gently caress was the Doctor doing on Skaro in the ancient past?

He has near total control over the TARDIS now. The gently caress was he doing there

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Occasionally he like to hit the random button.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Burkion posted:

He has near total control over the TARDIS now. The gently caress was he doing there

Did I miss something? When did he get near total control over the TARDIS?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Did I miss something? When did he get near total control over the TARDIS?

There was a period there when the TARDIS thought it would be funny to let the Doctor think he actually had near total control over the TARDIS :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Doctor's level of control over the TARDIS varies wildly from episode to episode...and sometimes within the same episode.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The first half hour of that was pretty aggressively boring

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Doctor barely has full control over the Doctor, much less the TARDIS.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

docbeard posted:

The Doctor barely has full control over the Doctor, much less the TARDIS.

Beautiful :golfclap:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Namtab posted:

The first half hour of that was pretty aggressively boring

It was pretty blah with just Clara, and then Missy showed up. Definitely felt like they didn't need all the time of a two-parter. But who knows, maybe next week would never have been compressed into one episode and the alternative was more "why not just have a two-parter" mess like last two seasons.

And I don't care what anyone said, the "axe fight" was pretty great, too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Classtoise posted:

It was pretty blah with just Clara, and then Missy showed up. Definitely felt like they didn't need all the time of a two-parter. But who knows, maybe next week would never have been compressed into one episode and the alternative was more "why not just have a two-parter" mess like last two seasons.

And I don't care what anyone said, the "axe fight" was pretty great, too.

Initially I thought the snake dude looking for the Doctor was just a setup for the overarching plot and then this episode would be about the planes since I thought Davros was supposed to show up later in the season. I'm happy to be wrong though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

EatinCake posted:

Snake guy was cool in concept, as were he swamp hand things in the beginning. Lots of floating good ideas!

Where does the snake collective keep the nose though? One of those snakes is slithering around with a humanoid nose on it's back.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Burkion posted:

I have a question

Plus did he really "make" Davros, or did he change history? So either Davros became an rear end in a top hat for some other reason, or like the Master and the Drums (theconstantsoundofdrumscan'tyouHEARthem) he "always" had an old sonic screwdriver stashed in his wheelchair and had once seen the TARDIS but totally forgot until today.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Astroman posted:

Plus did he really "make" Davros, or did he change history? So either Davros became an rear end in a top hat for some other reason, or like the Master and the Drums (theconstantsoundofdrumscan'tyouHEARthem) he "always" had an old sonic screwdriver stashed in his wheelchair and had once seen the TARDIS but totally forgot until today.

The implication from the beginning of the episode is that the Doctor left Davros and he became an entity of hate because of that, but now it looks like the Doctor saves him even though he's going to go make the Daleks.

And maybe he was just waiting until the right Doctor showed up, I mean confronting David Tennant with a sonic screwdriver probably wouldn't give much catharsis.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Burkion posted:

I have a question

"I've been too methodical recently, I think, setting coordinates and things, actually deciding where we want to go. I've been getting far too safe and predictable these last few incarnations. Do you know I once traveled for centuries without ever knowing where I'd materialize next? I thought it was time we put a bit more mystery in our lives. Let the TARDIS take us where she wants, and let us revel in the giddy thrill of our ignorance."

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I suspect the Doctor went to Skarro again for a reason and we'll find out next episode.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
snake man was never menacing because whenever he showed up demanding to see THE DOC-TOR, all i could think of was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xETlYacSCHE

"He's nice, in't he?"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

echoplex posted:

We had one - another fan hire - but weren't allowed to use it.

This is the first time I've seen Missy/Gomez, she's incredible.

We?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

computer parts posted:

The implication from the beginning of the episode is that the Doctor left Davros and he became an entity of hate because of that, but now it looks like the Doctor saves him even though he's going to go make the Daleks.

I don't think the implication was supposed to be that the Doctor "created" Davros, the conditions he grew up in did a fine job of that, just that this gave the extra added wrinkle of the older Davros now having recovered the "memory" of meeting him at that pivotal moment, understanding the fresh context and realizing it was something he could goad the Doctor about.

This isn't a predestination paradox where the Doctor ALWAYS met Davros as a child and had this impactful meeting with him, the Doctor never met Davros as a child until the 12th Doctor actually meet him, creating a new memory of an event that hadn't happened before*. Hell, the 12th Doctor himself isn't supposed to exist, initially when the 11th Doctor died at Trenzalore he stayed dead for good. Hell hell, Davros initially just created the Daleks and was killed by them, end of story. Then the 4th Doctor got sent back to interfere in their creation and inadvertently gave Davros new information to incorporate into his designs.

* This is one of the reasons that the Time Lords want to keep from getting involved directly in the affairs of the rest of the universe, poo poo gets confusing!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

'Where is the Doctor?'

When the skies of Earth are frozen by a mysterious alien force, Clara needs her friend. But where is the Doctor, and what is he hiding from?

As past deeds come back to haunt him, old enemies will come face to face, and for the Doctor and Clara, survival seems impossible.

Peter Capaldi is the Doctor in The Magician's Apprentice.

X X X X X

Cast
Peter Capaldi (The Doctor)
Clara Oswald (Jenna Coleman)
Missy (Michelle Gomez)
Colony Staff (Jami Reid-Quarrell
Kate (Jemma Redgrave)
Jac (Jaye Griffiths)
Mike (Harki Bhambra)
Bors (Daniel Hoffman-Hill)
Voice of the Daleks (Nicholas Briggs)

Writer: Steven Moffat
Director: Hettie MacDonald

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV1tfG7uDtI

Gifs by: J-Ru

X X X X X

quote:

Davros! You don't look a day older, and I'd hoped you were dead.

quote:

I'm not here as your prisoner, Davros, but as your executioner.

quote:

Ah, I see you have been busy.

quote:

Powerful! Crush the lesser races! Conquer the galaxy! UNIMAGINABLE POWER! UNLIMITED RICE PUDDING! ET CETERA, ET CETERA!

quote:

Davros made the Daleks. But who made Davros?

The Magician's Apprentice kicks off the ninth series of Doctor Who in slam-bang style. Steven Moffat throws a whole bunch of big ideas, cool scenes, and intriguing moments at the viewer along with a heaping of nostalgia. While there are enough plot ideas jammed in this episode for three full-length stories and it's tough to tell just what's important and what isn't, the performances by the leads, especially Peter Calpaldi and ESPECIALLY Michelle Gomez, are enough to hook the viewer for the first-part of this two episode story.

All over the Earth, planes have stopped in the sky, frozen in time. What could have been the opening stage of an alien invasion or a rip in temporal space is nothing more than Missy's way of grabbing Clara's attention in grand style. Missy has a problem – the last will and testament of the Doctor has made its way to her hands, which only happens the day before a Time Lord dies, and she needs Clara's help to find the Doctor. It turns out the Doctor is hanging out in 12th century England, partying like a rock star and soaking in as much applause and enjoyment of life as he can. It's not a celebration – it's a denial. One of the most fateful decisions of the Doctor's life is coming back to haunt him, a choice that influenced the history and fate of entire galaxies. Once upon a time, there was an endless war on a blasted planet, and the Doctor had an opportunity to save the life of a young child.

A child named Davros.

Moffat picks up right where Dark Water left off. The script for The Magician's Apprentice is jam packed – a desolate battlefield where soldiers utilized a mix of modern and ancient technology, a strange creature comprised of snakes gliding across the galaxy demanding to know the Doctor's location, planes frozen in the sky, UNIT calling Clara, Missy gloating and being crazy, the Doctor with a guitar and a tank, Daleks from across the classic and revival series making an appearance on a rebuilt Skaro, Davros living out his last days proud of his disobedient children, and the Doctor across from the young Davros with a Dalek weapon screaming “EXTERMINATE” in the name of saving his friends. That last one is a heck of a cliffhanger .

(Series 9 is supposed to contain several two-part episodes, and as someone who is watching the classic series for the first time, I've come to appreciate the art of a well-done cliffhanger. If all these two-parters mean more cliffhangers, then I'm all for the format change!)

On one hand, all these concepts and scenes, taking place very quickly in locations we're seeing very briefly before being whisked away to somewhere else, establish a sense of action and tension. Director Hettie MacDonald (whose other Doctor Who credit is a little episode called Blink) does a great job framing and shooting all the different locations, using multiple angles and framing to establish each place with little need for explanation or exposition. Viewers hop from UNIT to the Canary Islands to Essex to Skaro without a moment's hesitation, and there's always something happening, be it a strange creature, snappy dialogue, or a cool shot of a first-generation blue-and-white Dalek coming over the hill, to keep the viewer interested. The revelation of the handmines is an absolute standout moment and a feather in MacDonald's cap, while the room of Daleks from episodes through the series (including the freakin' Special Weapons Dalek from Remembrance of the Daleks) is a nice reveal.

On the other hand, all these locations and sudden changes in theme mean that there's no real sense that anything is important in the grand scheme of this episode, especially in the first half of the episode. A creepy gentleman with snake like features (and who turns out it made entirely of snakes) glides across the galaxy on one of those Hovetrax type deals looking for the Doctor at Davros' request (props to Jami-Reid Quarrell for his performance). UNIT is on screen for a few moments and it's Clara who does the bulk of the thinking for them (I hope UNIT's episode later in the season shows them for the top-notch international security force they're SUPPOSED to be). The Doctor's A Knight's Tale type moment isn't touched upon other than “The Doctor knows he's going to die so he's going all out” even though he's introduced amplifiers and a CHALLENGER 2 BATTLE TANK to the Middle Ages. Missy spends the scene in Spain killing two UNIT agents and in the next scene her and Clara are the best of friends. I get the vibe Moffat is going for and what he's trying to accomplish on a limited budget, but much of those episode feels like a better-acted version of Deep Breath, where things only really matter when the Doctor is on screen and kicking off the main plot by agreeing to go to Skaro. It's a half-hour prologue to the 90 minute story that's The Magician's Apprentice and next week's episode, The Witch's Familiar.

This season will be the last for Jenna Coleman, who will be departing to play Queen Victoria in an upcoming ITV production. I've made it known that I never felt Clara and the Eleventh Doctor clicked, but the relationship and chemistry between Clara and Twelve (and indeed Coleman and Capaldi) is very well done. Still, Coleman is stepping away from the show at the right time with three series under her belt as the Doctor's companion. Viewers have seen Clara grown from the all-powerful “Impossible Girl” to the Doctor's best friend, as well as a good schoolteacher with an inquisitive mind (the part where she circles the position of the airplane on the window to conclude it's frozen). But she's fallen into the same trap that's fallen many of the Doctor's companions throughout the revival, becoming a sort of “super agent” that UNIT calls when something goes wrong. While on one hand they're trying to get a hold of the Doctor, we also see that UNIT's basically paralyzed until Clara arrives and makes several key observations. Rose Tyler went from shop girl to someone who jumped universes, Martha Jones from doctor to military adviser, and Rory Williams from nurse to the Last Centurion. Traveling with the Doctor is supposed to make a person better, but Clara is slowly starting to slide into “all powerful awesome Mary Sue” territory, especially going from “Missy's opponent across the table” to “kind of joking with her” in the space of a few scenes. That's an observation on Clara and the scripts, mind you, as Coleman picks up right where she left off in Last Christmas with living her normal day to day life...until the Doctor needs her help. But there are some great moments where Clara appears...hurt? Confused? Bewildered!...when Missy proclaims herself as the Doctor's best friend and Clara as nothing more than his pet. It's a brief moment, but one I hope gets picked up on throughout the season. Clara is important to the Doctor, and the Doctor is important to Clara...so what happens when that all ends? And HOW does it end?

quote:

OK, cutting to the chase: not dead, back, big surprise, nevermind...

I love Michelle Gomez. Love her, love her, love her. While I really hope she doesn't get overused/overexposed this season, her portrayal of Missy/the Master is simply AMAZING. From almost the very beginning, this is a different Master, one whose regeneration has made her a little more crazy and a little more brazen. The smooth charm of Delgado has given way to the balls-out flirtatious nature of Gomez.

There's no doubt from the very beginning Missy is evil., which I liked. Missy is charming and intriguing, but she's also flat out crazy, the type of person who would ally with the DALEKS to screw over the Doctor because, well, she's evil. No redemption, no quest to change her ways, just “oh look I killed a UNIT agent with a wedding ring and some baby goo on his jacket.” Gomez plays it perfectly, not just the craziness but also her friendship with the Doctor. Maybe it's just a friendship from her point of view, but Missy seems to really want to help the Doctor, if not by giving him an army of Cybermen then by making sure he doesn't die and leave her the last Time Lord. There is a sense of sincerity in Missy's words thanks to Gomez's performance as she casually dismisses Clara as nothing more than a beloved pet, as well as seemingly being hurt when the Doctor calls Davros his archenemy, vowing to scratch his eye out.

And what about Davros? Julian Bleach returns after playing the megalomaniac creator of the Daleks in 2008's The Stolen Earth/Journey's End. It feels like we see the Daleks every season and sometimes they come close to suffering the same “burnout” that affected the Borg after repeated appearances on Star Trek Voyager. Davros' second appearance in the revival series is a huge moment, and one that Bleach does very well. It's tough to emote underneath all that makeup, but Bleach uses small movements, such as slowly raising his metal arm as well as letting his head remain slumped over during most of his conversations with the Doctor, to showcase one of this episode's big themes – Davros is dying. He's been dying for ages (and probably been dead a few times, but when has death every stopped a major Who villain?) but even with his dying breath, he both curses his children (who have bounced between killing him for “not being a Dalek” and kept him alive as their “revered Creator” with all the various stops in between) and praises them as they wait for Clara to run, soaking in her fear and anxiety, for to be the supreme race in the galaxy isn't about simply killing everyone else, it's about enjoying that moment according to Davros. It's the one thing that separates him from the Daleks and something Bleach does very well in showcasing.

And Peter Capaldi.

I could just let this GIF do all the talking, but there's more to it than this. Capaldi gives us two different types of Twelfth Doctor in The Magician's Apprentice – we get the “screw it” type of Doctor, one who tells the Web of Time to take a flying leap and does whatever he thinks is “cool.” Once, it was wearing a bowtie. Now, it's riding a tank into gladiatorial combat, and while Twelve probably wouldn't have a banana daiquiri like Ten or a shot of tequila like Six, I can imagine him downing tumblers of whiskey. But when told Davros has summoned him, and that Davros “remembers,” it's a lot like the scene in Dark Water where Twelve realizes Missy is the Master. The devil-may-care look on the Doctor's face is replaced with something else. Shame. It's a great moment from Capaldi as he realizes just how his past decisions, one he hoped Davros had forgotten about, is now coming back to bite him.

I have more to say about Capaldi's turn in this story, but there's something else to address first. In a lot of ways, The Magician's Apprentice is a direct follow-up to perhaps the best Doctor Who story every made, the Fourth Doctor serial Genesis of the Daleks. In that story, the Doctor has a moment where he could wipe out the Daleks once and for all by destroying their “nursery” before realizing that such genocide would make him no better than the Daleks. Throughout the series, both classic and revival as well as the audios and novels, this moment is brought up time and time again, including Resurrection of the Daleks where the Fifth Doctor is moments away from executing Davros in cold blood. The Doctor has grappled with the consequences of his decision for all his lives. He made the decision because he didn't want to CHOOSE to be a mass murderer. The Doctor has killed, caused death and allowed others to die but only because they was no other option or because of the surrounding circumstances. So now, here we are, the Doctor finding himself on the other side of a field of handmines, a scared child clutching the Doctor's sonic screwdriver calling for this stranger to help him. At the end of this story, the Doctor is pointing a Dalek weapon in the child's direction, telling the young boy that this is the only way to save his friends. THIS is also one hell of a cliffhanger and I know I'll be tuning in next week.

But...Moffat has already had Clara influence the Doctor as a child during the end of Listen, and some fans screamed that Moffat was “screwing with the canon.” Clara was also evident throughout the Doctor's entire lives, all the way back to when the First Doctor and Susan stole a TARDIS, fixing the timeline that the Great Intelligence was unweaving. And now, here's Moffat touching upon an all-time, undisputed classic story, and these same fans are loudly saying that Moffat is doing nothing more than re-writing the entire history of the show to fit HIS vision.

Personally? I think it's bollocks, especially in a show about TIME TRAVEL. I've never felt the Doctor needed any type of original story beyond An Unearthly Child, and I prefer companions who are just friends who want to see the galaxy and don't turn into all-powerful omnipotent beings (Sarah Jane, Evelyn). But I'm willing to trust Moffat and Capaldi, two men who both love the show and probably saw Genesis of the Daleks when it originally aired in 1974. I do believe Clara's time in the TARDIS should be coming to an end, and I do hope Missy isn't (seemingly) in every episode this season. But, the Doctor's final confession, his last will and testament? Having a quality actor like Capaldi wrestle with the “Let's Kill Hitler” dilemma as something OTHER than comedy? All those two-parters this season? THE RETURN OF THE ZYGONS?!? Unless this somehow ends with Twelve, Davros, and Missy becoming wacky roommates in a Three's Company/Man About The House sitcom on BBC Four, I'm willing to take the story that The Magician's Apprentice laid out in front of us and trust the second part to deliver on it.

Random Thoughts
- I liked seeing the different places the Colony Staff visited looking for the Doctor
- For the record, the song Twelve was playing on the tank was “Eruption” by Van Halen
- Doctor Who filming in Spain – somewhere, John-Nathan Turner approves.
- I still don't know how I feel about the Doctor's outfit. It's mainly the pants.
- That can't be Skaro – there wasn't a mutant clam!

Cobi's Synopsis – The first episode of a two-parter, The Magician's Apprentice stuffs a lot into 60 minutes, but only the back half of the story has any consequence. Still, Peter Capaldi, Michelle Gomez, and Julian Bleach put on performances that set the table for the story's second episode.

Next up - With his greatest temptation before him, can the Doctor resist? And will there be mercy?

Peter Capaldi is the Doctor in...The Witch's Familiar

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 21, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

armoredgorilla posted:

I suspect the Doctor went to Skarro again for a reason and we'll find out next episode.

He said in the 6 minute prequel that he was looking for a bookshop.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Unless this somehow ends with Twelve, Davros, and Missy becoming wacky roommates in a Three's Company/Man About The House sitcom on BBC Four

I totally get what you're saying and also I desperately need to see this now.

Actually what I think I really want to see, I have just realized, is Michelle Gomez becoming the Doctor whenever Peter Capaldi leaves.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

CobiWann posted:

there is enough plot jammed in this episode for three full-length stories

If you say so.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Diabolik900 posted:

If you say so.

Sorry. What I meant to type (and fixed) was "there are enough plot ideas jammed in here." You could do an entire episode on planes frozen in the sky. You could do an entire episode on the Doctor having his last party. You could do an entire episode about the Doctor going to Skaro because Davros summoned him after remembering his childhood.

It's like how you could have done an entire episode about the Doctor being voted world leader, or Missy being captured and escaping, or the Cybermen rising from the graves, as opposed to trying to cram it all into an hour.

docbeard posted:

I totally get what you're saying and also I desperately need to see this now.

Someone in the last thread wrote about Six and Davros becoming roommates and arguing over the dishwashing schedule...

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Sorry. What I meant to type (and fixed) was "there are enough plot ideas jammed in here." You could do an entire episode on planes frozen in the sky. You could do an entire episode on the Doctor having his last party. You could do an entire episode about the Doctor going to Skaro because Davros summoned him after remembering his childhood.

It's like how you could have done an entire episode about the Doctor being voted world leader, or Missy being captured and escaping, or the Cybermen rising from the graves, as opposed to trying to cram it all into an hour.

Ok, yeah. This I'll agree with.

This was a really weird episode. I didn't really like it, but this is definitely a case where I don't think I can fully judge it until I see next week's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I agree that the opening section throws in a ton of ideas, each of which could have quite easily been explored as single episodes all to themselves. Too much all at once can feel like overkill, and the pacing does seem a little rushed to begin with. It's only after Clara meets with the Master that things start to slow down and get less frenetic, and once they arrive at the "hospital" the show settles into what feels like the single story it should have been addressing all along.

CobiWann posted:

Someone in the last thread wrote about Six and Davros becoming roommates and arguing over the dishwashing schedule...

Davros was discussing the schedule, the Doctor had other concerns on his mind :)

• Locked thread