Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Allen Wren posted:

Team Tebow, helmed by JakeP is 14 down, also waiting on his quarterback, but the differential doesn't tell the story, 29 of his 50 points came from Larry Fitzgerald and the insane 48-23 Arizona win. Byers' crew, This Week's Tackling Dummy, should cruise to a safe finish, barring a breakout game by Luck.

You cursed me. Lacy goes down to an injury, and now I need a WR to get more points than Luck on MNF.

You cursed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Byers2142 posted:

You cursed me. Lacy goes down to an injury, and now I need a WR to get more points than Luck on MNF.

You cursed me.

Ahahahahah, being the media is sweet.

Magnus and I will be reporting all the news worth reporting going forward.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

EccoRaven posted:

if you had asked me I'd have told you (as I have been saying since it happened) that Twelvebaud is the actual tech person for the wiki; he closed down registrations to stop the atrocious spambot problem we kept having and install new captcha software, but he then disappeared/maybe died irl (nobody knows).

quote:

TwelveBaud wrote on Sep 20, 2015 19:19:
Hi Met,

That, unfortunately, is not a thing that is within my power. Only EccoRaven can do that. (Or soru, Ardent, or Xythar, if you can find them, or TLB if you conduct a seance...)

I wrote an anti-spam plugin (if a user signs up, and their first edit is to create a minor page (which cannot normally be done), delete the page and the user and blacklist the IP) for the really old version of MediaWiki that Ecco has installed, and it worked fine on my machine, but something broke when Ecco tried to use it. Ecco responded by turning off registration entirely, and Ecco's the only active user left with administrative rights.

TwelveBaud

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
And an unrelated thing:

[8:02:30 PM] Met: Trying to find out who controls the wiki to get registrations open
[8:02:41 PM] Chic: man
[8:02:42 PM] Allen Wren: loving christ
[8:02:49 PM] Chic: I've tried to put my games that aren't on the wiki on the wiki
[8:02:53 PM] Chic: but the edit never sticks
[8:03:05 PM] Chic: like I edit it and put my games on there but then mysteriously they dissappear
[8:03:09 PM] Allen Wren: yeah, access to the wiki is hosed up
[8:03:44 PM] Met: I brought this up in the discussion thread but I know it's easy to miss because:
[8:03:46 PM] Met: "We really need to split the Discussion thread to Crew and actual Mafia discussion threads"
[8:04:13 PM] Allen Wren: I don't entirely agree, but I don't think the idea of a split is bad
[8:04:41 PM] Allen Wren: I just assume that the game-chat thread will just kind of wither.
[8:05:12 PM] Met: Remember when I sent messages to a few hundred old timers to help spur Mafia activity? The number one reason people weren't interested in keeping up with things was that the discussion thread is a hot mess that isn't fun to keep up with.
[8:05:25 PM] Allen Wren: People are actually saying that?
[8:05:28 PM] Met: Yeah
[8:05:29 PM] Allen Wren: Well, poo poo.
[8:05:38 PM] Allen Wren: Split away, then.
[8:06:52 PM] Chic: yeah
[8:06:58 PM] Chic: that's why I don't read the discussion thread
[8:07:14 PM] Chic: it's a real mess

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Interesting to note that the game announcement thread allows for discussion of mafia games even though nobody does it

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

My updates to completed game list stick.

Also, is the Ongoing games automatically updated?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

No but it could be when I stop being lazy soonish

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

So who updates the current games on the wiki?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Interesting to note that the game announcement thread allows for discussion of mafia games even though nobody does it

I wouldn't care for that, myself. I like that thread to be easily scroll-able to see the latest games.

Amoeba102 posted:

So who updates the current games on the wiki?

Automated from votefinder.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

addendum:

quote:

TwelveBaud wrote on Sep 20, 2015 20:15:
http://mafiawiki.notesmash.org/w/index.php?title=Special:ListUsers&group=sysop

*shrug*

quote:

Met wrote on Sep 20, 2015 23:11:
Already checked Xythar. Soru appeared at some point to give Votefinder to someone else to take care of. No idea about Ardent.

Ecco seems to think it's you who has the power here, so I'm at a dead end if Ardent doesn't turn out well.

quote:

TwelveBaud wrote on Sep 20, 2015 19:19:
Hi Met,

That, unfortunately, is not a thing that is within my power. Only EccoRaven can do that. (Or soru, Ardent, or Xythar, if you can find them, or TLB if you conduct a seance...)

I wrote an anti-spam plugin (if a user signs up, and their first edit is to create a minor page (which cannot normally be done), delete the page and the user and blacklist the IP) for the really old version of MediaWiki that Ecco has installed, and it worked fine on my machine, but something broke when Ecco tried to use it. Ecco responded by turning off registration entirely, and Ecco's the only active user left with administrative rights.

TwelveBaud

PM'd Ardent. Ecco, if there's anything you can try on your end that'd be cool.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 21, 2015

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Soru is easy enough to contact, he responds to PMs and has promised to remain contactable by me in case a votefinder problem occurs

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

This isn't even remotely true.

I am an admin in that I can edit things like the front page but I have absolutely no idea how to edit the wiki's fundamentals (like registration).

I've never installed anything or handled anything about the tech side of the wiki, I don't know how that would even work. My knowledge of computers doesn't go beyond browsers.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
remember the like twenty million times it's been suggested that we start a new wiki, and ten million times it was suggested so we could avoid these conversations

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

We should start thinking about moving away from stone tablets to papyrus.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Epsilon Plus posted:

remember the like twenty million times it's been suggested that we start a new wiki, and ten million times it was suggested so we could avoid these conversations

I tried recently. It was beyond my skills and motivation so I ended up making a spreadsheet instead.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
And the problem with making two mafia threads - one for game-related chat and another for "crew" chat - is that we've done it before and it was just awful. And it didn't even work: I literally used to be the person posting every week to tell people to move their non-mafia chat to the other thread, and it made me even more disliked than I am today (which is saying something!).

It's unfortunate that we as a community can't have a Mafia-Only thread without inevitably going off-topic, and it's unfortunate that we can't have a "crew-thread" without getting terribly cliquey. The community decided a long time ago that having both in the same thread was best. If that turns off a significant number of potential players (who also don't know to just subscribe to the New Game Announcement Thread) then oh well.

Unless you want to be the "shut up and stop posting about not-mafia" person, Met. Do you want that job? It's a lot of fun, it's like being an RA except for internet shutins.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Met posted:

I tried recently. It was beyond my skills and motivation so I ended up making a spreadsheet instead.

We should start thinking about moving away from stone tablets to daubing berry juice on our cave walls.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
This problem is too large. I think we should have a wiki implementation queue

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Met posted:

I wouldn't care for that, myself. I like that thread to be easily scroll-able to see the latest games.

Then what do you want that we don't already have?

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

This thread has so little discussion of mafia that a thread just for that doesn't make a lot of sense. Most discussion really just ends up in the game as part of the game, and can't be brought into here until after the game is over when the same thing happens in game thread instead. I am not sure but I would not be surprised if the main issue people have with this thread who aren't around anymore is mostly they don't like the community that is here or just don't have the time to follow this or any game threads, and the New Game Announcement thread or a third one aren't going to make them any more likely to sign up.

It is a shame we don't have a reliable method for recruiting new people, even if I am among those who got involved just by coming across this subforum and seeing all the threads.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

EccoRaven posted:

And the problem with making two mafia threads - one for game-related chat and another for "crew" chat - is that we've done it before and it was just awful. And it didn't even work: I literally used to be the person posting every week to tell people to move their non-mafia chat to the other thread, and it made me even more disliked than I am today (which is saying something!).

It's unfortunate that we as a community can't have a Mafia-Only thread without inevitably going off-topic, and it's unfortunate that we can't have a "crew-thread" without getting terribly cliquey. The community decided a long time ago that having both in the same thread was best. If that turns off a significant number of potential players (who also don't know to just subscribe to the New Game Announcement Thread) then oh well.

Unless you want to be the "shut up and stop posting about not-mafia" person, Met. Do you want that job? It's a lot of fun, it's like being an RA except for internet shutins.

I didn't realize it's been done and people couldn't help themselves. Bummer. :v:

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

By the way, last call for anyone wanting in on DBD's NFL mafialike here, which everyone should join and still has a few spots open.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
going through the wiki's settings on the off-chance it's something really simple like a button and it'll reactivate registrations.

I'm not seeing it at a glance but if anyone wants to know what the spambot problem was like here is a preview:
http://mafiawiki.notesmash.org/w/index.php?title=Special:BlockList&limit=500

and this doesn't even include deletions for their spam pages and rolling back edits to real articles (they liked the Game List a lot).

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
If you ever find the toggle for registrations Ecco we should probably do limited uptime for it before the spam problem comes back. While it's possible that it was just bots spidering the web, there's also always the possibility that it was a targeted attack and it'd be better to just get everyone in in a day and then close it again.

It would also prevent good old regular spamming too, which is all easily eradicated but still.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

MAFIA FANTASY FOOTBALL ROUNDUP:

Island 110s have 11 to make up against A Smoothie & A Prayer, each with two to play---however, they also have Aaron Rodgers to get those points. Controversially, Smoothie GM Diqnol Pizzapie entered week one with the following press release

I'm now leading by 3 points~

We each have one to play, and our respective projected totals are tied at 82!!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I have won the fictional football game. Long live fictional football.

Good game magnus!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

My team is so bad but secret weapon cam newton showed well

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
A tale of two eccos.

Also: time is a flat circle.

Re-skimming past mafia discussion threads for tension points and what caused them, I think, tentatively, our community has changed enough, now, that we could actually (maybe possibly) effectively have one thread for general chit-chat and one for actual mafia discussion without devolving into cliques (a two-thread solution as it were).

I am tentatively on board with it. My opinion might change at a moment's notice but I think it's theoretically possible at least.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

We would probably have to get a moderator on board to make sure we don't get gassed or something.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

We would probably have to get a moderator on board to make sure we don't get gassed or something.

in some of life's most tragic ironies, moving the "chitchat" thread to the Crew Ghetto in BYOB would solve that problem.

a thread could stay in TG as a sort of anchor/primarily mafia-related chat.

the real difficulty would be finding RAs to keep people posting the right stuff in the right thread. I do not volunteer, it's a poo poo job.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
no one will read or post in the mafia chat thread and people will end up posting their mafia questions in the chit chat thread anyway because that will be the active one

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

uranus posted:

no one will read or post in the mafia chat thread and people will end up posting their mafia questions in the chit chat thread anyway because that will be the active one

I go back and forth on this. I think a lot of people who do complain about it (and met is not lying, there are a lot) would be earnest and post in the new mafia thread.

But yes for those of us who frequent this thread there will probably be a lot of new complaints that get old very very quickly.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 27, 2020

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

I dropped the bottle of ketchup on the kitchen floor and it burst open and it got everywhere and now everything smells of ketchup.

^^ quality posts like these are what you can expect from Crew Thread 2.0.

tbf we get a lot of posts like that right now

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Two threads is a dumb as hell idea.

We have mafia chat. We have community chat. We move seamlessly between them. If it was two threads I guarantee three things would happen. The chat thread would devolve into even more in jokes and become increasingly separated from mafia, such that to a greater degree people will post in there and never play so we'll lose more people. The mafia thread would get like 10 posts a month because really there's only so much mafia chat out there that isn't related to a specific game. And both threads would be full of constant complaints that things are in the wrong thread.

Frankly the people who have a problem with this thread either need to accept that they aren't going to catch up and they should just jump in wherever the thread is when they check it or actually participate in the community that has been built and not demand that it be kept elsewhere.

Alternatively just bookmark the new game announcement thread and join games when you see them there and ignore this all together. This is the discussion thread, there's going to be discussion here. Get over it.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

We have mafia chat. We have community chat. We move seamlessly between them. If it was two threads I guarantee three things would happen. The chat thread would devolve into even more in jokes and become increasingly separated from mafia, such that to a greater degree people will post in there and never play so we'll lose more people. The mafia thread would get like 10 posts a month because really there's only so much mafia chat out there that isn't related to a specific game. And both threads would be full of constant complaints that things are in the wrong thread.

Frankly the people who have a problem with this thread either need to accept that they aren't going to catch up and they should just jump in wherever the thread is when they check it or actually participate in the community that has been built and not demand that it be kept elsewhere.

Alternatively just bookmark the new game announcement thread and join games when you see them there and ignore this all together. This is the discussion thread, there's going to be discussion here. Get over it.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think a lot of really inane stuff is talked about here sometimes and it turns people off of the already dwindling community in general so, in essence, if you like this thread you should understand that we are always trying to draw new people in to replace people who stop playing and right now most old timers and newcomers will just not dive in instead.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

I don't necessarily disagree but I mean, having merged threads is a relatively new phenomenon - we had mafia discussion threads focused on actual mafia discussion for years and they never died from inactivity.

The risk of things getting super clique-y is very real though.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Things are already really cliquey, ecco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Things are already really cliquey, ecco.

yeah but at least almost all of the active players are part of it this time. if a thread split does work to bring back old players/attract new ones it'll be awful.