Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So this doesn't seem right. I just preordered a 64gb space grey 6s from AT&T and it says the estimated ship date is the 24th. Shouldn't these be horribly backordered by now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There will definitely be a stock of phones for people waiting in line, and generally there's a lot. The one or two times I've done it, I got in line just before opening, so no real need to wait all night unless you really care to. Lots (or all?) are still available for delivery on Friday unless you have to pick up in-store for iPhone Upgrade Program.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
They've built up a much bigger supply of handsets than last year.

They've come out and said they're on track to beat last years opening weekend sales, but you can still reserve a 6S in most stores, so it must mean they've got a lot more stock on hand.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

nwin posted:

So this doesn't seem right. I just preordered a 64gb space grey 6s from AT&T and it says the estimated ship date is the 24th. Shouldn't these be horribly backordered by now?

It's because you got the wrong color, capacity, and model. Rose Gold 6s+ 128GB is out 3-4 weeks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I deleted feedly the second I got iOS 9 and don't regret as I've always found feedly/every other reader severely lacking. My only issue with News is the lack of a less like this/never show me this dumb bullshit button. Maybe hearting things for a while will help. Even with that bugging me it's still a billion times better than feedly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tried starting playing a radio station with Siri. It went ahead and instead of playing the one I have and have been curating for months, it created the exact same station erasing all the poo poo I've done to it.

Cool loving poo poo, iOS.

Time to look into Spotify or something else because gently caress this is annoying as hell.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

aBagorn posted:

Quite true.

It's way easier (for me, YMMV) to swipe down and type (for example) "du" and tap my Dunkin Donuts app than to swipe through pages of apps/pages in a folder.

:shrug:

Ah yes, the "iOS X" method.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
My reservation that I placed at 3AM doesn't say poo poo about the iPhone Upgrade Plan but a friends has it listed on the phone, color, capacity etc.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

It's been a few days now, how is iOS 9 on a 5/5c?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Probably still abit early but are there any blockers that block ads in the YouTube app? I will gladly drop a c-note so I don't have to go through another 30sec life insurance ad.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

iLikeMidgets posted:

Probably still abit early but are there any blockers that block ads in the YouTube app? I will gladly drop a c-note so I don't have to go through another 30sec life insurance ad.

Blockers can't do that. They can only block stuff in Safari and in Safari View Controller (Apple's new replacement for the mini-browsers that handle links in third-party apps).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

My reservation that I placed at 3AM doesn't say poo poo about the iPhone Upgrade Plan but a friends has it listed on the phone, color, capacity etc.
I'm pretty sure if you ask for it, they'll do it. I hope so, anyway, since that's what I'm planning on. I seem to recall the website saying that.

EDIT:

Also, my not-a-state has disappeared from the online Apple Store.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 21, 2015

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Diabolik900 posted:

Blockers can't do that. They can only block stuff in Safari and in Safari View Controller (Apple's new replacement for the mini-browsers that handle links in third-party apps).

Ah ok, thanks.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Honestly, I hope my reservation takes all of two minutes. I really do not want to wait hours for a reservation placed for 9AM while needing to be somewhere at 12.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

noirstronaut posted:

Honestly, I hope my reservation takes all of two minutes. I really do not want to wait hours for a reservation placed for 9AM while needing to be somewhere at 12.

Lmao, gl.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I made a reservation for 8pm, really hoping I miss the morning/afternoon rush of people.

I'm planning on showing up early and hoping I can just work my way in to get things set up.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
I walked in with a damaged lightning charge cable and was told I needed an appointment, that was frustrating. Oh well.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

voltron posted:

I walked in with a damaged lightning charge cable and was told I needed an appointment, that was frustrating. Oh well.

They fix those under warranty? I got one i screwed up.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

They didn't replace mine, despite them fraying through to the bare wires.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I replaced one that got corroded laying on the snowy, salty floor of my car all winter. No questions asked. :feelsgood:

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

voltron posted:

Did you make sure to get one last slap on the stroller for emphasis?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

GoatSeeGuy posted:

That's nice, my store only takes same day, in person appointments. You have to show up, get a time, and then come back fifteen minutes before that or they'll cancel it.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Mulva posted:

That's nice, my store only takes same day, in person appointments. You have to show up, get a time, and then come back fifteen minutes before that or they'll cancel it.

That sounds great for mall traffic and Auntie Anne's sales, but lovely for service if I have to haul my Pippin around Hot Topic waiting for my "please come back!" text.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

various cheeses posted:

They didn't replace mine, despite them fraying through to the bare wires.

Was it still under warranty, and where was it frayed? Damage is only covered if the fraying is at the ends near the plugs. If any other part of the cable is damaged, they won't replace it.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
So I brought in my launch day 6 on the last day of my warranty with the crescent moon camera issue. I guess they hosed up the new screen so they ended up replacing the whole thing.

Works out perfectly because now I have a "brand new" 6 to sell to fund my 6S!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So is there any way to utilize the Apple Upgrade program online? I'd rather not travel 140 miles to an Apple Store :(

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Hah. Not only that, I made an audible groan and a visual look of displeasure. I also asked if I could just have the lightning cable from his pocket but that didn't go over too swimmingly either.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Did anyone reserve an iPhone 6 for pick up at a specific time last year?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

GoatSeeGuy posted:

That sounds great for mall traffic and Auntie Anne's sales, but lovely for service if I have to haul my Pippin around Hot Topic waiting for my "please come back!" text.

Yeah I'm not enamored of it. I guess they had too many no-shows before, but why punish everyone?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

the littlest prince posted:

It's been a few days now, how is iOS 9 on a 5/5c?

My roommate has a 5c, and says it's just fine, except for the fact that you can't use ad blocker extensions in Safari because it has a 32-bit CPU.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

Did anyone reserve an iPhone 6 for pick up at a specific time last year?

No one did. The time thing is new.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Why would you not just have it delivered by downtrodden and back broken delivery person?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

banana allergy posted:

No one did. The time thing is new.

It was in place last year.

I used it on launch day, worked easily. Flashed my confirmation email and ID - was in and out in 20mins, I had the 8am-9am 'block' same this year.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Yeast posted:

It was in place last year.

I used it on launch day, worked easily. Flashed my confirmation email and ID - was in and out in 20mins, I had the 8am-9am 'block' same this year.

Do you live in a well-populated area? My only worry is that my Apple Store is located in the 2nd or 4th wealthiest county in the nation and I don't wanna wait there all day for a soccer mom to get her poo poo right.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

noirstronaut posted:

Do you live in a well-populated area? My only worry is that my Apple Store is located in the 2nd or 4th wealthiest county in the nation and I don't wanna wait there all day for a soccer mom to get her poo poo right.

I guess? City of 4 million - I bought outright, so I just walked in, swiped my card and declined personal setup. I think I spent more time looking at the new cases than anything else.

I mean, give yourself an hour just in case there's a system outage or something, but it's been pretty smooth for most people in stores for a long time.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Yeast posted:

I guess? City of 4 million - I bought outright, so I just walked in, swiped my card and declined personal setup. I think I spent more time looking at the new cases than anything else.

I mean, give yourself an hour just in case there's a system outage or something, but it's been pretty smooth for most people in stores for a long time.

I mean, I have about 4 hours,. But I remembered waiting for the iPhone 4 and staying there all day.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah, you'll be fine. As long as you're there in the allocated time, you'll get it pretty quick.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Why would you not just have it delivered by downtrodden and back broken delivery person?

I tend to prefer in-store pickup vs either having a delivery attempt fail because I'm at work or alternatively having an $800 box be left by my front door on iPhone release day. The fact that I have an Apple Store nearby in a state without sales tax is a decent reason as well.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Anybody using iCloud Photo Library that can give me a trip report?

I'm currently using Google Photos, but I'm thinking about switching to iCloud because it's more integrated into iOS, and supports all of the iOS features like non-destructive editing, burst shots grouping, live photos, face groups, etc.

I have right around 200 GB of photos (from the past 10 years or so? this includes stuff from my DSLR) so I'd either need that package or more likely the 1 TB package.

I was hoping it would be easier to share the entire library with my wife's iPhone and iPad, but I guess you can't directly share the whole library which is really unfortunate :(

I'm also concerned about how to access them (and edit them?) on my Windows PC. I know I could use iCloud for Windows, but I'm not sure how great that works and if it supports non-destructive editing, etc. My primary (?) device will be my MacBook Pro though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

fordan posted:

I tend to prefer in-store pickup vs either having a delivery attempt fail because I'm at work or alternatively having an $800 box be left by my front door on iPhone release day. The fact that I have an Apple Store nearby in a state without sales tax is a decent reason as well.

Do you pay use tax on that you loving criminal?