Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Machai
Feb 21, 2013

SpaceViking posted:

Pallies got that taunt super late into LK, I think that was either late Ulduar or the Tournament. So early Lich King pallies had no taunt.

No.

Righteous Defense was added at the launch of Burning Crusade. It is a ranged taunt that taunts 3 enemies that are targeting a friendly target.

About 2 months into Wrath (patch 3.0.8 ?) they got a regular ranged taunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Minarchist posted:

Was this posted? I laughed hard at this guy's stuff.

DanielFromSL gets posted like every week.

That said yes, his poo poo is amazing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Eventually Blizzard put some damage on that pally taunt but didn't make it exclusive to tanks, so every idiot paladin dps would use it in their rotation and constantly piss off the tank.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Minarchist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7bFXbS9QD4

Deadpan passive-aggressive murdering is the best :buddy:

Yeah, but post it again anyway, I watch it whenever it gets posted and laugh like a child every time!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
There was a pretty good grief in Team Fortress Classic, where on the capture the flag map Well, you could actually clip out of the map in one of the teams bases (I think it was red?). If you did a conc jump (you could use the physics of the concussion grenade to propel yourself really high or far) you could clip out of the map and then jump on top of the map. So what you'd do is grab the enemy flag, and then just jump onto the level, making it impossible for your team to score.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Regalingualius posted:

To briefly explain for anyone not in the know, Goldshire is infamous on at least one realm (Moon Guard) for being a hub of erotic roleplaying. If you can think of anything, no matter how niche, disgusting, etc. it is, odds are good you'll find someone with a fetish for it in there.

I know this is pages later and old as gently caress, but i rolled a human priest on Moon Guard and went around Goldshire condemning all the Sinners and whores while trying to get them to renounce their wicked ways and accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

Then another Priest came along and tried converting me to the ways of Pastafarianism and be blessed by his noodly appendage. I think he actually made a very compelling arguement and caused me to renounce my faith and join in spreading the word of FSM.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Sweet role playing

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

^Thanks, I thought so too^

Also, I'm still like 40 pages back, but mentions of Day Z always remind me of this video and I never get tired of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwNZGqOkf4Y

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

My favorite Day Z ones always have to be the creepier ones. The stalking lunatic was hilarious. I'm too lazy to search for it but there were a few that were executed really well. One was a dark house and this guy was seemingly playing a numbers station over mic chat and hardly moving. The other had a lantern and was playing Tiny Tim.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

It's amazing how much of an idiot you can be as a healer and still have people treat you nicely.

I once mainhealed a vanilla UBRS pub group on my priest (before the priest buff patch) dressed entirely in twill gear with a farmers broom to see how long it would take for me to get kicked.

We cleared it. :iamafag:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This guy tries his best to complete a stage in Super Kaizo World, a ridiculously hard Super Mario World romhack, at the instigation of some of his viewers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

-Troika- posted:

This guy tries his best to complete a stage in Super Kaizo World, a ridiculously hard Super Mario World romhack, at the instigation of some of his viewers.

I had stumbled on to that one yesterday and somehow ended up stopping it before seeing the final trick. That was some evil poo poo, bravo to that level designer.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Seriously even if you don't like LPs skip to like 7:25 in that video and give it 30 seconds. It's just wonderfully evil.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

bucketmouse posted:

Seriously even if you don't like LPs skip to like 7:25 in that video and give it 30 seconds. It's just wonderfully evil.

Well, I don't like THAT LP'er. We understand how hard it is. Do you have to sit there and shriek "What the gently caress?" in a girlish voice over and over?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Samizdata posted:

Well, I don't like THAT LP'er. We understand how hard it is. Do you have to sit there and shriek "What the gently caress?" in a girlish voice over and over?

"He sounds just like my friends" - Ayyyden, age 11. Translated from the original twitchface twitchface twitchface dancing-twitch-kid.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I made this six years ago. We were the chopper pilots that brought the goons into the little town we were in, but when we landed one of them climbed out and shot our tail rotor until we couldn't fly anymore. Instead of getting out and trying to help fight the dudes in the town we went looking for bitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQqULQNlLJc

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Samizdata posted:

That video is from a SA LP from like, 2007.

That may have actually be one of the first and most well known early video LPs.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

IcePhoenix posted:

I once mainhealed a vanilla UBRS pub group on my priest (before the priest buff patch) dressed entirely in twill gear with a farmers broom to see how long it would take for me to get kicked.

We cleared it. :iamafag:

I, a warrior, out rolled a rogue and won that ridiculous dagger from there that had like a 1% drop rate.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

That video is from a SA LP from like, 2007.

That may have actually be one of the first and most well known early video LPs.

Who cares? It's still awful and annoying

But kudos to the developer for that rad level ending at 7:30-8:30, that's sweet

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

this is my favorite danielfromsl video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTLcDwJLSaU

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
I doubt this is possible to find, but years ago someone posted an audio recording of some staged goonswarm "clan meeting" in Eve after they scammed some guy into paying to get in. It ended up turning into some ridiculous argument about the clan needing to follow the bushido code and people yelling "strawman" over and over

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Soulex posted:

I, a warrior, out rolled a rogue and won that ridiculous dagger from there that had like a 1% drop rate.

I can do you one better. Very late in vanilla (or possibly very early in BC), I, a warlock, out-rolled a rogue for the shadowfang sword from shadowfang keep. Then I equipped it, right there, in front of him.

gently caress the 900+ gold it was worth at the time. The rage in party chat was worth every copper and more.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

I always loved that people bowed in Jedi Knight II before a duel by crouching and looking down when (1) pressing the lightsaber button while holding it would activate or retract the blade, and (2) you had a loving gesture to signal that you wanted to fight. It always were the people using non-jedi character models whining the most about bowing too.
I got booted out of at least a couple of Jedi Outcast servers for loving up their Harry Potter role play. JO inherited the awful playerbase that JK had, you were likely to cause whoever was playing to rage just by daring to use guns. 9 year old me didn't really have any concept of trolling so getting a bunch of threats for just doing what the game allowed you to do seemed pretty crazy. This was the Zone so it's not like they could get you kicked off either.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Sjonnar posted:

I can do you one better. Very late in vanilla (or possibly very early in BC), I, a warlock, out-rolled a rogue for the shadowfang sword from shadowfang keep. Then I equipped it, right there, in front of him.

gently caress the 900+ gold it was worth at the time. The rage in party chat was worth every copper and more.

While I realize that some people take WoW way too seriously, being on the receiving end of the situation you pulled, that's a really lovely move on your part.

I had been raiding Ulduar every week when it first came out, topping DPS for my guild on my DK, and when a paladin that logged in for the first time in two months came along, they gave the Worldcarver Axe from Ignis(I think?) to him because "he's a friend", I got legit mad, then took a look at my life and realized I was getting pissed over a loving game.

Back to my original point, what you did was a poo poo thing (unless the Rogue was being a douchebag, then I guess it' was warranted)

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Carebearz posted:

While I realize that some people take WoW way too seriously, being on the receiving end of the situation you pulled, that's a really lovely move on your part.

I had been raiding Ulduar every week when it first came out, topping DPS for my guild on my DK, and when a paladin that logged in for the first time in two months came along, they gave the Worldcarver Axe from Ignis(I think?) to him because "he's a friend", I got legit mad, then took a look at my life and realized I was getting pissed over a loving game.

Back to my original point, what you did was a poo poo thing (unless the Rogue was being a douchebag, then I guess it' was warranted)

name + post combo

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Carebearz posted:

Would you say that he griefed them?

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

baram. posted:

name + post combo

I didn't even think about that, this situation is meta as gently caress.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Jabor posted:

Would you say that he griefed them?

It all depends on if the Rogue's player was being an uppity shitbag about "make sure I get that sword blahblahblah". If he simply rolled on that sword to be an rear end, then i feel like it's less of a grief and more of "being a shithead for no reason".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Uh, griefing is being a shithead for no reason.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

Uh, griefing is being a shithead for no reason.

and laf at people who get upset over games

Carebearz posted:

It all depends on if the Rogue's player was being an uppity shitbag about "make sure I get that sword blahblahblah". If he simply rolled on that sword to be an rear end, then i feel like it's less of a grief and more of "being a shithead for no reason".

Maybe this thread isn't for you my friend

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 29, 2015

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Carebearz posted:

I'd be interested in hearing your definition of "griefing" and why it doesn't include simply being an rear end and a shithead for no reason.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Sjonnar posted:

I'd be interested in hearing your definition of "griefing" and why it doesn't include simply being an rear end and a shithead for no reason.

Rolling on loot to be a shithead is kind of like someone trashing someone's construction in Minecraft. It's a low effort grief that's about as easy to do as it is unfunny.

poo poo, more often than not people just assume you're a greedy dick rather than an unfunny one. Which means that they won't even react to it. Since for a long time a lot of the "drama" in WoW was over people teaming up and being best buds up until that one rare item dropped. At which point the knives would come out and people would start posting all sorts of inane poo poo on the forums after everyone just "happened" to misclick and roll need at the same time.

It's a good example of that "Hell is other people." saying, though. Part of the grind in old school MMO's was that everyone was going to be a cutthroat motherfucker about loot the second it became "profitable" to do so. And every guild that could do the content at the end game tier was basically an insular circle jerk trying to find new and increasingly obtuse ways to justify hoarding purps for the higher ups/inner clique. It was like EVE, but somehow even more insular and pathetic once you realized what was going on.

The drama over loot did occasionally produce some amazing meltdowns on the forums though. Which promptly looped back around to being unfunny when a bunch of stories broke of hardcore grinding types over in Asia tracking down and murdering people over stolen loot/other similar crap. :stare:

Edit: Some of the forum meltdowns might be pretty good to post here, at least. I think the WoW forum reps actually trolled the playerbase a few times after it became apparent how loving terrible they were. And I think at least one had a meltdown and basically went apeshit on the players being annoyingly whiny nerds before quitting.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 29, 2015

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Archonex posted:

Rolling on loot to be a shithead is kind of like someone trashing someone's construction in Minecraft. It's a low effort grief that's about as easy to do as it is unfunny.

poo poo, more often than not people just assume you're a greedy dick rather than an unfunny one. Which means that they won't even react to it. Since for a long time a lot of the "drama" in WoW was over people teaming up and being best buds up until that one rare item dropped. At which point the knives would come out and people would start posting all sorts of inane poo poo on the forums after everyone just "happened" to misclick and roll need at the same time.

It's a good example of that "Hell is other people." saying, though. Part of the grind in old school MMO's was that everyone was going to be a cutthroat motherfucker about loot the second it became "profitable" to do so. And every guild that could do the content at the end game tier was basically an insular circle jerk trying to find new and increasingly obtuse ways to justify hoarding purps for the higher ups/inner clique. It was like EVE, but somehow even more insular and pathetic once you realized what was going on.

The drama over loot did occasionally produce some amazing meltdowns on the forums though. Which promptly looped back around to being unfunny when a bunch of stories broke of hardcore grinding types over in Asia tracking down and murdering people over stolen loot/other similar crap. :stare:

Edit: Some of the forum meltdowns might be pretty good to post here, at least. I think the WoW forum reps actually trolled the playerbase a few times after it became apparent how loving terrible they were. And I think at least one had a meltdown and basically went apeshit on the players being annoyingly whiny nerds before quitting.
drat, this avatar/post combo is perfect.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Stuntman posted:

same

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Stuntman posted:

Not a dozen or so pages ago people were bitching about unfunny griefs being posted by that Mygot guy. And that isn't the first time either. Feel free to keep bitching about people pointing out lovely uninspired griefs though. :)

Anyways, MMO griefing stuff that's actually pretty clever:

I can't find the original story now, but for awhile there was a way to mimic items in EQ. This guy abused the hell out of it to basically play an illusionist who would gently caress with people and lure them to their deaths through their own greed.

What he'd do is drop a gold coin on the ground and mimic it, turning himself into the coin. Then he'd pick it up and lie in wait for some money hungry player to come along and assume that someone was just leaving cash on the ground. When they ran to him to try to pick it up he'd either stay still and confuse the hell out of them (Since they couldn't actually pick up the fake coin he was impersonating.) or they'd slowly move away from the player as they kept constantly trying to grab the coin.

Of course, some people wised up and had a laugh. Others though weren't that bright. They'd get hyper focused too easily. Or think that if they could just find the right moment they could get that damned buggy coin. So he'd run away as they ran towards him, and they'd chase him, and eventually the player would find themselves being lead into a group of mobs that would utterly mutilate them.

Of course, EQ was pretty lovely when it came to death mechanics. One death meant losing hours, or sometimes even days of work. And you had to do corpse runs to recoup your losses. Which meant that said greedy player was left trying to figure out how the hell they were going to get their corpse back from the horribly lethal mobs that were camping it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 29, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
That reminds me a lot of the SS13 story about the living banana that murdered and caused the station to evacuate.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The Doom Peel. I'm pretty sure it's been posted in this thread somewhere, but I'm not about to try to find it.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Minarchist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7bFXbS9QD4

Deadpan passive-aggressive murdering is the best :buddy:

Jesus christ this had me laughing so hard. What an awesome bad terrible great game.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dick Burglar posted:

The Doom Peel. I'm pretty sure it's been posted in this thread somewhere, but I'm not about to try to find it.

Several times, and it never gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
The doom peel was great, but not really a grief.

I like the stories of how a few mods on goonstation went to other SS13 servers that were FAR more strict and rp focused, and some of the ridiculous crap they would ban you for, like calling catboys catbeasts and screaming in fear when you saw one. Banned for racism.

I am sure I am butchering the story but it is deeply buried in the SS13 thread, or possibly the goonstation forums

my favorite personal greif is making it my lifes work to nuke telesci whenever people used it when i rolled traitor, typically stranding them.

for a bit there a lot of new telesci locations were being added, and I would just make and give away 'bombs for the away team to use' and usually a traitor would get one or some idiot crew would set it off. I did eventually get temp banned for doing that a few too many times

• Locked thread