Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

BigRed0427 posted:

Wow...the guy who writes for Black Mirror must be laughing his rear end off now.

Seriously, this is so loving close it's disturbing. Charlie Brooker is a seer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Klaus88 posted:

Hey guys, remember when Bush the second was considered the most embarrassing world leader in living memory?

Well,

:stare:

:mrapig:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Wow...the guy who writes for Black Mirror must be laughing his rear end off now.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Klaus88 posted:

Hey guys, remember when Bush the second was considered the most embarrassing world leader in living memory?

Well,

:stare:

Countdown to Trump tweeting that this would never happen in America, because it's against our head of government's religion.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jagchosis posted:

Its a good thing there isn't a video streaming platform where these videos could be easily uploaded for the world to conveniently view

Or that Fiorina doesn't have a website that she could host the video on it's front page. Nope, no siree, she doesn't have that outlet.

Carrasco posted:

Countdown to Trump tweeting that this would never happen in America, because it's against our head of government's religion.

Well, you forget that if it has big tits, Trump would listen, be it a Miss America speech or anti-vaccination propaganda. I'm pretty sure if we gave a pig giant silicone cans, he'd have sex with it.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 21, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

Presumaby Brooker wrote it with full knowledge of the incident, and Britain's peculiar laws prevented him from saying anything. This sounds like an absurd conspiracy theory, but if the last couple of years have taught me anything it's that when it comes to UK elites, Eyes Wide Shut would be a cool and mellow sort of step down from their actual behavior.

e: IOW, they're a pack of murdering, pig and boy-loving freaks

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ohgodwhat posted:

Dorkins is just mad there was a clockmaker behind the clock

:masterstroke:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Because it's not transparent her presence is making an impact. You seem to have found the font of information where it is though, so would you mind sharing it? "The news" is not descriptive enough, I watch the news too but never see any direct effects from her presence.
Go back and read the past few months threads when I did post it here.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ohgodwhat posted:

Dorkins is just mad there was a clockmaker behind the clock

:boom:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

So this is interesting:

So Fiorina says "YES HUH!" that there was in fact footage of which she described, yet for some reason, hasn't bothered to release it or guide people to where on the 12 hours of released footage that clip is at.

Wallace actually grilled her pretty loving hard for Fox. He went into her time at HP too and didn't let up easy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

On Terra Firma posted:

Wallace actually grilled her pretty loving hard for Fox. He went into her time at HP too and didn't let up easy.

To me that just says Ailes has dictated that Fox is against her.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BigRed0427 posted:

I was thinking of just that when reading that. Except, you know, less after-the-fact resentment by the involved parties in Cameron's case.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Pope Guilty posted:

Foxnews is who propped her up though?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mitt Romney posted:

Ratings, they can't let Trump leave the race cold, but they need to keep rotating possible anti-Trumps (rather than mainlining one contender) so he doesn't command the Trumpwaffe to take it personally and cause a "vacation" for another of their crew.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

They're quickly running out of anti-Trumps though. Fiorina and Carson have neither the money nor the confidence of party elites or big donors to last very long at all.

The establishment must be freaking the gently caress out of at this point. It definitely wasn't supposed to be like this.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KaptainKrunk posted:

They're quickly running out of anti-Trumps though. Fiorina and Carson have neither the money nor the confidence of party elites or big donors to last very long at all.

The establishment must be freaking the gently caress out of at this point. It definitely wasn't supposed to be like this.

It's something anyone could have seen coming for at least the past 6 years, more if you had a particularly uncharitable view toward the Birchers and Falwells they folded into the party back in the day. Mickey Mouse thought he had it made and now the brooms are flooding the place.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Ratings, they can't let Trump leave the race cold, but they need to keep rotating possible anti-Trumps (rather than mainlining one contender) so he doesn't command the Trumpwaffe to take it personally and cause a "vacation" for another of their crew.

What about the recent thing when Kelly correcting a stupid racist woman that Obama isn't a muslim?

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 21, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PhazonLink posted:

What about the recent thing when Kelly correcting a stupid racist woman that Obama isn't a muslim?

Every hero needs a system against which to wage jihad.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Mitt Romney posted:

In order to check the "we had a woman primary candidate too" box they only need Fiorina to be the frontrunner for a very brief period of time. Ditto Carson for that matter.

KaptainKrunk posted:

Fiorina and Carson aren't the people the Establishment wants leading either. The Establishment wants someone like Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio or MAYBE Chris Christie - replacing Trump with Fiorina wouldn't be a huge win to the RNC (even if she's more electable).

If the Republican Establishment is smart, they're not freaking out too much - there's still 4 months or so between now and the Iowa Caucuses, and that includes 4 debates. It's not clear at all that Trump's lead among all Republican voters will really translate into big Iowa numbers - caucuses have really low turnout. This is because it takes a lot of extra effort to vote in a caucus - instead of heading to your polling place anytime during the day and voting, you have to go to a meeting held in the evening somewhere in your precinct that could easily run for hours. I imagine the fact that it's Iowa and they take this poo poo seriously ameliorates that somewhat, but you're still talking 20-25% turnout at best. That's why the ground game in Iowa is crucial, and that's the area that Trump is lacking in.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

That's what I was thinking too. Like others have said though, it's really loving weird how she was put up then put down. I understand the horserace aspect of it, but I mean what's the bigger picture?

It puts Fox in a really weird position. A lot of people turn to them for news/opinion and all of a sudden you have these candidates doing well in the polls but being torn down by Fox. If you spend years training people to not trust the media and trust you instead, and then you start tearing down their darling candidates then what happens when those same people apply the same logic to you?

How do they casually start pushing the Bush/Walker/Christie types that the establishment wants without just pissing everyone off?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

That's what I was thinking too. Like others have said though, it's really loving weird how she was put up then put down. I understand the horserace aspect of it, but I mean what's the bigger picture?

It puts Fox in a really weird position. A lot of people turn to them for news/opinion and all of a sudden you have these candidates doing well in the polls but being torn down by Fox. If you spend years training people to not trust the media and trust you instead, and then you start tearing down their darling candidates then what happens when those same people apply the same logic to you?

How do they casually start pushing the Bush/Walker/Christie types that the establishment wants without just pissing everyone off?

That was the weird thing about the debates. CNN and Fox News have reversed polarities. :foxnews: is the "liberal" news media because they were the ones who threw hardballs at everyone.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

On Terra Firma posted:

It could be them trying to build up credit as being tough and "fair and balanced" in the primaries so it's harder to claim they're in the tank for Republicans in the general. Or it could be that the Fox anchors who have leftover scraps of journalist remaining in their souls are enjoying the prospect of stretching their legs and doing actual hard-hitting journalism once every 4-8 years.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Jesus Christ there are still 4 loving debates?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

nachos posted:

No, there are 9 more Republican debates, but only 4 of them are likely to occur before the Iowa Caucuses.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

nachos posted:

Remember this primary was supposed to be a gentlemanly three-way race between Rubio, Walker and Bush, probably decided between the three of them in a back room

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Jackson Taus posted:

No, there are 9 more Republican debates, but only 4 of them are likely to occur before the Iowa Caucuses.

No poo poo? drat. I bet the DNC keeps pushing back their own debates to let them eat each other alive.

I wonder if the pig loving is a rumor that goes around in the UK about the Oxford elites. We have tons of rumors about poo poo like the Yale Skull and Bones and the Bohemian Grove in California. Any UK goons know?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
new TNC article is out

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
So besides Bernie and Hillary, what are the other declared Democrat candidates even doing at this point? Why are they bothering in the first place?

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

goose fleet posted:

So besides Bernie and Hillary, what are the other declared Democrat candidates even doing at this point? Why are they bothering in the first place?

Asking for more debates, being a sniveling little bitch-boy, and whatever Webb is doing

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Something Else posted:

Asking for more debates, being a sniveling little bitch-boy, and whatever Webb is doing

Playing guitar, trying to make the US go Metric, and trying to wish blue dogs back into existence.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I mean, if you want someone with a consistent left-wing ideology you have Bernie, and if for whatever reason you want more of the usual there's Hillary. To me, those two seem to be the only viable Democrat candidates this election cycle. Anyone else is just wasting their time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Establishing themselves as able to add 'presidential candidate' to their nameplate when they go on the sunday shows, getting an excuse to write another book, opening themselves to more donation sources.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

That's just sad. It's like the politician equivalent of a mid-life crisis.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

goose fleet posted:

That's just sad. It's like the politician equivalent of a mid-life crisis.

Now you understand why so many people are running for the Republican nomination.

If it wasn't for the wayward tale of Edmund Brown to warn people away from the Democratic nomination, you'd see as many people there.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

FAUXTON posted:

Playing guitar, trying to make the US go Metric, and trying to wish blue dogs back into existence.

Wow, I remembered Lessig and Webb but forgot Chafee. Sorry Chafe-dog.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Buffer posted:

What does Walker bring to a VP ticket besides liabilities? Even if you're Ted Cruz, you fill his niche better with others in the clown car. He's done, a loser who can't cut it on the national stage, and it's glorious.

Walker will obey establishment commands in a way Ted Cruz never would. Walker's campaign is in a hosed place right now but he is infinitely more palatable to the GOP's powerbrokers than Ted "I don't know Senate rules" Cruz.

Mr Interweb posted:

So this is interesting:

So Fiorina says "YES HUH!" that there was in fact footage of which she described, yet for some reason, hasn't bothered to release it or guide people to where on the 12 hours of released footage that clip is at.

Sham that journalism in this country is so loving worthless and fearful of being blacklisted. Wallace needed to ask "at what point in the video? If I bring it up right now I trust you can find it for us during the next break, right?" Put her on the loving spot and when she fails to produce the evidence ask her outright why she's lying. When she gets outraged and says she isn't you ask her when her website will have a link to the part of the video in question, and what America should think of her claims if/when said link never gets posted.

This wouldn't happen though, because her Campaign would shitlist the media outlet as would probably the entire GOP (and possibly the Dems) because nobody wants to have their feet held to the fire.

e: Not that Fox would actually want to do this unless Ailes decides that person needs to be removed from the race.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

On Terra Firma posted:

Maybe they figure if there are more popular "anti-establishment" candidates its will spread out the anti-establishment support enough to give their guys like Bush a chance. When it's 30% focused on one person like Trump they don't have a chance. But maybe I'm giving them too much credit caus that would actually be a smart idea.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
On Australia having compulsory voting, we don't, we have compulsory attendance. Tony Abbott became prime minister because a pack of Sydney lawyers pretending to be trade unionists let back room factionalism trump actually doing anything worthwhile. A reminder that the green party held the balance of power for labours second term, Australians are more than willing to vote left of the left does social policy.

On pig loving by UK elites, you really should follow the darker bits of political insider discussion if you think that's even noteworthy. As a British national I an unwilling to post some of the jucier bits but it's all there in the leveson threads.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Is there a budget/shutdown thread or we thinking that won't happen....for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
At attempt to use reconciliation to defund Planned Parenthood (aside from the fact Obama would veto it and some Republicans don't think it goes far enough) might also run aground in the Senate on the ghost of Robert Byrd.

quote:

In place since 1985, the Byrd Rule seeks to ensure that reconciliation bills are about what the Congressional Budget Act of 1974 originally intended when it created the procedures: deficit reduction. The rule prohibits “extraneous matter” in reconciliation bills, with six definitions of “extraneous.” These include a requirement that each part of the bill “produce a change in outlays or revenues” and, importantly, that those changes to spending and revenues are not “merely incidental” to the non-budgetary aspects of a given provision. If a senator believes that something in a reconciliation bill runs afoul of the Byrd Rule, he or she can raise an objection, or point of order, on the floor of the Senate. From there, it’s up to the Senate Parliamentarian to rule on whether the provision stays or goes. The Byrd Rule can be waived, but that motion requires a supermajority to pass, bringing us right back to the Senate’s increasingly-regular, sixty-vote world.

And, if the Parliamentarian were to rule that the $235m the government would save from defunding PP was not "merely incidental" that would set an interesting precedent for future reconciliation battles.

• Locked thread