Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I didn't see it like that. I figured Paz showing up was just PTSD and I thought they did a very neat trick with the introductory cutscene. If you don't know the twist (that Ahab is the medic), the cutscene plays out as "if only Paz had mentioned the bomb earlier, we could have saved her" from Big Boss, but if you do know the twist it's "if only I had known about the bomb, I could have saved her" from Ahab. Hallucination-Ocelot then goes on to describe disassociative identity disorder and disassociative amnesia which are basically what they did to Ahab to make him into Big Boss in the first place, which is also cool.

Also, in the Paz introductory cutscene, when the medic throws himself in front of Big Boss in the flashback he's wearing a mask to disguise the fact that it's you, because otherwise they'd have to straight up show your avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like how Zero in the tapes is still mostly the guy we knew from Snake Eater and it was just Skull Face encouraging Pas to steal Zeke and go crazy. And then he's worried that the Patriots might not work out the way he wants to. And he still LOVES tea.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I agree with that. I'm just saying that the shrapnel being Paz also make the metaphor real, and adds a layer to the horn growth metaphor as well by having Venom literally rejecting peace. Given how completely ridiculous so many aspects of MGS are, it's really cool the things that work on multiple levels thematically.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Speedball posted:

I like how Zero in the tapes is still mostly the guy we knew from Snake Eater and it was just Skull Face encouraging Pas to steal Zeke and go crazy. And then he's worried that the Patriots might not work out the way he wants to. And he still LOVES tea.

Zero seems like a pretty cool dude still in the tapes.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm afraid I'm stuck. I'm supposed to unlock a Huey tape after beating mission 43, but it's not there. Also I no longer have any "story" Missions or side ops even after doing a couple side ops after 43. Also I heard Quiet was supposed to disappear after 43 but nothing happened at all. I haven't unlocked side op 150.

I have completed a combat deployment with the battle gear, though. And I've completed the Paz quest.

I did NOT bring Quiet to those two missions that caused a glitch.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Renoistic posted:

I'm afraid I'm stuck. I'm supposed to unlock a Huey tape after beating mission 43, but it's not there. Also I no longer have any "story" Missions or side ops even after doing a couple side ops after 43. Also I heard Quiet was supposed to disappear after 43 but nothing happened at all. I haven't unlocked side op 150.

I have completed a combat deployment with the battle gear, though. And I've completed the Paz quest.

Is your buddy rank with Quiet maxed? She doesn't leave or anything until you max her out.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Renoistic posted:

Not sure what's up with your Huey tape, but I hit a few spots where I had no "story" missions or side ops and I just had to go out and do three or four white side ops before the next thing happened. For Quiet, she won't disappear if you have the butterfly as part of your emblem or (I think) if you don't have her relationship maxed. If both of those things are okay, then try just banging out a few random side ops and see if anything triggers.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Can't believe I never noticed the parallel between Venom and Skullface in that both lost their faces

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Having just finished it, the big twist makes a few of the things that I didn't like in the characterizations make more sense. Like Snake being so much less chatty than any other incarnation of Big Boss or Solid. I was thinking that him being all gruff was just them not wanting to pay Kiefer to do as many lines, but if he's fake-Snake, even with all the hypno-conditioning I can buy that the base personality still had some differences. Granted, this is probably a chicken-or-the-egg explanation and it really is that they didn't want to pay Kiefer to do a lot of lines, but at least SOMETHING makes it explainable.

Also, when he rescued Kaz, Kaz has a line like "Say it, Boss, I've been waiting to hear you say it for nine years" (obviously looking for a 'Kept you waiting, huh?") and Venom just kind of grunts at him. At the time I thought it was a dick move, but now it could actually be read as a bit of a hint. Maybe that was never in Venom's mind training and he has no clue what the gently caress Kaz is talking about.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

StarkRavingMad posted:

Also, when he rescued Kaz, Kaz has a line like "Say it, Boss, I've been waiting to hear you say it for nine years" (obviously looking for a 'Kept you waiting, huh?") and Venom just kind of grunts at him.

It doesn't give you a prompt, but you can hit the action button after Kaz asks you to say it and you will.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Gruckles posted:

It doesn't give you a prompt, but you can hit the action button after Kaz asks you to say it and you will.

drat! Apparently I'm just the dick then. I'm still writing that off to Venom's memory :colbert: Real Snake would have given me a visible prompt!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's funny, when you get the side op to rescue Kojima, in the distance he mutters about how you always make him wait.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I'm not sure if I think it's "good," but having just finished the game making literally You, the Player the villain of the MGS series is kind of fitting. It's pretty well-foreshadowed, so I can't completely hate the idea.

Really, it's hard to say anything about the post-Chapter 1 plot because it's pretty clear that Chapter 2 was heavily compromised and Chapter 3 never even made it into the game. I figure that The Truth: The Man Who Sold the World was still meant to happen either way and probably would have been the end of Chapter 3, but I think it might sit differently if we actually had that massive showdown with Liquid on his own private island (even though it only exists in concept art and unfinished scenes, that sounds like it would have been a cool mission - slowly picking your way inland to the Metal Gear covered in jungle growth, fighting it with all of your Diamond Dog forces you've built up until its literally falling apart) and maybe some more things with the Man on Fire (it's weird that you never get a final fight with him after his presence in the early game) and Mantis.

That somehow manages to make me hate Konami more, because despite what people say about Kojima being a perfectionist he would still have to submit a proposal that should have included what areas/chapters/etc. he intends to put in the game way back before development started, so that they could approve/disapprove it and budget it (MGS2 has a good example of what I mean floating around online, it's basically a 30 page document that outlines the Tank and Plant chapter, who the game is targeted to, gameplay mechanics, will they be single player only or multiplayer, etc. and it's mostly the same as the finished product). This is definitely on Konami wanting out of the AAA game ASAP so they can make their mobile and gambling games.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 21, 2015

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Why did Skull Face use a very slow-acting neurodegenerative poison against Cipher instead of just something that would actually kill him immediately?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

CJacobs posted:

Also, in the Paz introductory cutscene, when the medic throws himself in front of Big Boss in the flashback he's wearing a mask to disguise the fact that it's you, because otherwise they'd have to straight up show your avatar.
I'm pretty sure it is your avatar, which is more obvious if you made your guy black. It's probably something you'd immediately notice if you watched someone else playing that cutscene.

If you made a particularly distinct avatar then seeing the reflection in the ACC window would also really stand out because you'd definitely know the reflection isn't Big Boss (if your guy's bald for example it's a dead giveaway by the head shape).

Hargrimm posted:

Why did Skull Face use a very slow-acting neurodegenerative poison against Cipher instead of just something that would actually kill him immediately?
Something something lust for revenge.

EDIT: Actually this is something explained in Ground Zeroes I think. Skull Face mentions in the agent torture tape that he likes it when people go through the same thing he went through and lose everything and he wants to see who will refuse to die and keep living for revenge, which is why he has such a ridiculously elaborate scheme to take down Big Boss that ultimately doesn't kill him. I think he wanted that to happen. Likewise maybe he was hoping Zero would fight against the loss of his mind knowing he'd essentially lost everything by being condemned to becoming a vegetable.

Basically Skull Face is a dick who trolls people and ends up getting killed because he didn't just have his guys shoot Big Boss on the helipad, or have a bunch of guys waiting at Camp Omega, or just blow up Paz as soon as Big Boss found her, or whatever.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 21, 2015

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Hargrimm posted:

He's a jerk!

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe I missed something, but I'm surprised there were no surprises with Skull Man and Code Talker since Quiet was grievously injured, but gained super powers from her parasite therapy. I remember a few tapes about Skull Face being more reckless with early research, a bit like Code Talker's self-infection, but I'm still surprised that he wasn't able to be a boss Skull as well, at least through the parasite suit if his body was so crippled.

..Why wasn't Skull Face a boss fight too that would've pretty cool...

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Skull Face is also the one who goes out of his way to make sure BB isn't on Motherbase when he blows it up, so he definitely wants to draw out their suffering or something. It's kind of inconsistent given the fact that he sends Quiet to just murder him in his sleep, but eh.

^ - Skull Face was loaded with parasites too. He would have been laying there trapped under that rubble with no arm and leg for a good while if Huey hadn't blasted him in the face. Which, to be fair, was probably the smart choice. Kojima said he deliberately didn't put in a Skull Face boss fight because everyone was expecting it and "phantom pain", etc. etc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Skull Face is extremely incompetent.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

because everyone was expecting it and "phantom pain", etc. etc.

Aw man gimme a break, Kojima. They could've still had a similar death scene. It was pretty good, reflecting Miller's injuries.
I appreciate the answer though! I'm glad there was one to give. Wasn't expecting there to be an official one.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There are two parasite outbreaks on Mother Base and neither of them are the one Skullyboy wanted to actually infect them with but one strain is objectively better than the one he wanted to use anyway.

He's out super-villained by Huey.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Skull Face is also the one who goes out of his way to make sure BB isn't on Motherbase when he blows it up, so he definitely wants to draw out their suffering or something. It's kind of inconsistent given the fact that he sends Quiet to just murder him in his sleep, but eh.

Skull Face's original plan was for Big Boss to see everything he built explode and slide into the ocean and then be killed when Paz detonated. He did want to toy with BB before killing him but nothing like what he had planned for Zero.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I actually didn't mind the lack of a boss fight because it just made Skull Face's incredible scheme implosion even better. Like he just got dunked on in every conceivable way. He fucks up killing Snake like 10 different times, makes this giant monologue that Snake doesn't even listen to, gets the timing wrong so that the entire last half of the monologue drive is awkward silence, watches his own doomsday weapon get taken from him, gets pinned under rubble by it, watches his other doomsday weapon get tossed in a fire, gets his limbs blasted off, then gets killed by the shittiest, most cowardly person in MGS history, all within like 10 minutes.

Never have a person's plans gone so spectacularly wrong so quickly. Giving him a boss fight would be giving him too much credit.

Party Boat posted:

Skull Face's original plan was for Big Boss to see everything he built explode and slide into the ocean and then be killed when Paz detonated. He did want to toy with BB before killing him but nothing like what he had planned for Zero.

Yeah, mostly I mean that it was goofy that given that, he didn't just have his entire XOF army ventilate him the second he walked onto the OKB Zero helipad. He just had to get one last bit of gloating in there.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 21, 2015

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
So here's a super subtle detail I noticed when dicking around with the camera in the ACC:

It only seems to show up when zooming in, but Venom's reflection shows your avatar. I don't know if this happens for the whole game, but on this save I've only gotten the first ending and am halfway through Chapter 2.

I really love how this game is so subtle about Venom but at the same time is practically holding up a neon sign saying YOU'RE NOT BIG BOSS when you really look at it. It's gaming's most subtle neon sign.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Moartoast posted:

So here's a super subtle detail I noticed when dicking around with the camera in the ACC:

It only seems to show up when zooming in, but Venom's reflection shows your avatar. I don't know if this happens for the whole game, but on this save I've only gotten the first ending and am halfway through Chapter 2.

I really love how this game is so subtle about Venom but at the same time is practically holding up a neon sign saying YOU'RE NOT BIG BOSS when you really look at it. It's gaming's most subtle neon sign.

It's amazing. I mean, the game practically screams it at you. For one thing, Venom vapes instead of smokes.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

If you've done that mission a few times for S-ranks you will be startled to see how many copies of that guy you have lounging around with different names.
Oh poo poo, you're right. Found him! That's so dumb. Too bad it doesn't work with Kojima.

Moartoast posted:

It's loving PAINFUL how many things people are figuring out about this game over time. God they really put in a ton of thought and effort.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 21, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I preferred the bait and switch in MGS2 when he made us play as old aged crisis Big Boss for the plant.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

paint dry posted:

It's amazing. I mean, the game practically screams it at you. For one thing, Venom vapes instead of smokes.

Do you think Big Boss is proud of Solid because he's the only son that smokes.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Do you think Big Boss is proud of Solid because he's the only son that smokes.

No because Solid smokes cigarettes instead of cigars.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
He's probably proud solid doesnt piss himself though.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
BIG BOSS HERE... FORGOT TO TELL YOU, YOU MIGHT NEED ADULT DIAPERS FOR THIS MISSION, I USUALLY DO ...OVER.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Vikar Jerome posted:

BIG BOSS HERE... FORGOT TO TELL YOU, YOU MIGHT NEED ADULT DIAPERS FOR THIS MISSION, I USUALLY DO ...OVER.

gently caress YOU DAD I'M NOT A SASAKI

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Was the car ride with Skullface supposed to MGS5's equivalent to the MGS3 ladder climb? It was just kinda awkward having the villian giving a big exposition dump and having the theme song burst into the scene like the Kool-Aid Man.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Moartoast posted:

Yeah I kinda figured you weren't Big Boss very early on, due to both Big Boss not having a horn and robo arm later in the series and his personality change out of nowhere. I watched the Giant Bomb premium video for Metal Gear Solid V last night, and within the first episode Drew already is figuring your not Big Boss but some guy who has his face. And Drew mostly been spoiler free the entire time.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

FutonForensic posted:

Was the car ride with Skullface supposed to MGS5's equivalent to the MGS3 ladder climb? It was just kinda awkward having the villian giving a big exposition dump and having the theme song burst into the scene like the Kool-Aid Man.

Venom just looking around completely uninterested was pretty good too.

And Skull Faces gesturing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How long had Skully been planning that?
Timing the drive out, having all his men properly synchronised up and having the route down without fail, making sure there was enough happening on the side of the road to make him seem determined and scary, having his speech timed so that he could have Sins of the Father end just in time for him to deliver his final lines before getting back to the power plant. Planning enough time for responses between lines for any retort to his brilliant plan without it overrunning.

And then Venom comes along, sits in the jeep, says nothing and just looks at his iDroid, plays Maneater and scans all the soldiers he's passing with his Int-Scope wishing he could fulton them.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
The best part is how after delivering his 10 minutes long Bond villain monologue to a super disinterested Venom Snake (canonically listening to Joy Division on his iDroid), Skully just awkwardly stares at his feet for the remainder of the ride. Poor guy probably spent many sleepless nights perfecting that speech in front of the mirror.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

I actually didn't mind the lack of a boss fight because it just made Skull Face's incredible scheme implosion even better. Like he just got dunked on in every conceivable way. He fucks up killing Snake like 10 different times, makes this giant monologue that Snake doesn't even listen to, gets the timing wrong so that the entire last half of the monologue drive is awkward silence, watches his own doomsday weapon get taken from him, gets pinned under rubble by it, watches his other doomsday weapon get tossed in a fire, gets his limbs blasted off, then gets killed by the shittiest, most cowardly person in MGS history, all within like 10 minutes.
At least he managed to drop a legendary line on us before he went out.

FutonForensic posted:

"Words can kill." *pauses, checks his watch* "C'mon, where's the theme song? Holy poo poo did I get through my monologue too fast? What'd I forget? I didn't leave anything out, did I? poo poo, now I'm just staring at the guy. He hasn't even said a word. I was expecting like 'Sahelanthropus!?' or 'Parasites!?' or at least 'You're mad!' or something. God."

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah, mostly I mean that it was goofy that given that, he didn't just have his entire XOF army ventilate him the second he walked onto the OKB Zero helipad. He just had to get one last bit of gloating in there.

The XOF army I just blew up with my tank(s)? Really, where the hell did that army come from.

"Let's very swiftly occupy half of Afghanistan so Mr Skullface can maybe have a dramatic ride in case he don't feel like taking the helicopter this time".
"...man Mr Skullface looked really awkward there."
"Should have taken the helicopter."

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Skull Face really is every Bond villain ever condensed into one, replete with their weakness for exposition and its the best thing. :allears:

EDIT: Also, I'd like to think Big Medic is probably a big movie buff (unlike Big Boss), so he probably couldn't believe that such a guy actually exists.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 21, 2015

• Locked thread