Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I'd also recommend talking to a CPA but I would think that by having separate LLCs, if someone sues the LLC you only run the risk of losing the value of the property owned by the LLC as opposed to losing everything owned by a single entity.

That said, your/her mentor probably has good arguments on why everything should be kept together and by increasing your insurance you help cover yourself in the case of litigation.

But again, you should be speaking to a CPA to make these kinds of decisions. There's a lot to deciding one way or the other that should be discussed with a professional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
But congrats on the inheritance and my condolences for the loss of your sister.

It sounds like you are being very cautious about how to handle this. Continue that and seek the counsel of wise people to protect this windfall.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Showing the house for a prospective tennant just now and his brand new truck got hit-and-ran. Its a nice area too.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

FlashBewin posted:

Trimming this down to avoid needless details... Not sure if it matters or not, but it's in Michigan.

My sister died and owned five rental properties, condos. I own them now. I have five LLCs and one INC

I have each property in it's own LLC.

Each LLC is owned 100% by the INC.

Not only did my lawyer recommend this, but i also thought this meant that if someone got hurt/something went boom, the injured party could only go after the value/insurance of the LLC.

From what i understand, When tax season comes, i file taxes for me (the guy with a SSN) and taxes for the INC.

My sisters' mentor, who has been renting properties and owning businesses for a long time, said that i should put all five properties into the INC directly, as opposed to the LLC. He also said i should bump my insurance policy (Each property has a 300k policy) up to a million.

So what i have is LLCx5 ----> INC

What he recommended is 5 Properties ---> INC

Which is the right way to go?

When originally setup, that might have been the way to go but I can't imagine it being worth it now.

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
I talked to a CPA. Explained my situation, how things are set up now (Condos in LLCs, LLCs owned by INC) And he said that how i have it set up is how they recommend other people to do.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

FlashBewin posted:

I talked to a CPA. Explained my situation, how things are set up now (Condos in LLCs, LLCs owned by INC) And he said that how i have it set up is how they recommend other people to do.

Can you tell us why it's setup that way and why the CPA recommends keeping it that way?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
My guess is that each house functions as it's own business. Often times when loans are involved you don't want to expose your other holdings in the event one has a serious problem. I'd guess he could theoretically default on one loan and they can't come after his other assets. *This is all just a guess*

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

n8r posted:

My guess is that each house functions as it's own business. Often times when loans are involved you don't want to expose your other holdings in the event one has a serious problem. I'd guess he could theoretically default on one loan and they can't come after his other assets. *This is all just a guess*

Another great contribution to the thread. Why take a guess on something that's a technical issue you obviously aren't qualified to assess?

I'll write up an effort post while not phone posting.

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
Hell, i'm not qualified to answer that question either. It's how my sister had it set up, and it's how the lawyer recommended to set it up.

My understanding, both from the lawyer and other third parties (but not this most recent CPA, he didn't explain WHY--that would have needed a longer consultation) is that each condo is in it's own business, Condo# for corporate veil protections.

I have Condo1,Condo2,Condo3,Condo4,Condo5. They are all owned by the same INC. I own/am CEO of the INC.

I think that it's a layered defense. If someone gets hurt/condo goes boom/something horrible happens, "They"---whoever They might be--can only go after the assets involved with Condo#, Which at any given time is $Deposit(if there is one involved) + $Rent, if i leave any in the account, plus the actual ownership of the Condo.

This protects me because they wouldn't/shouldn't be able to go after the assets involved in Condo#'s or the INC. If nothing else, it protects me---the physical person with a SSN--from being sued for everything i own. This is how it was explained to me. Two layers of defense, the Condo# is one layer, they have to pierce the corporate veil to find out who owns condo# (The INC), and then they have to justify (i guess that's the right word?) to the judge in order to pierce the second layer of corporate veil, the INC, to find out who i really am so that i could potentially be sued.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

FlashBewin posted:

Hell, i'm not qualified to answer that question either. It's how my sister had it set up, and it's how the lawyer recommended to set it up.

My understanding, both from the lawyer and other third parties (but not this most recent CPA, he didn't explain WHY--that would have needed a longer consultation) is that each condo is in it's own business, Condo# for corporate veil protections.

I have Condo1,Condo2,Condo3,Condo4,Condo5. They are all owned by the same INC. I own/am CEO of the INC.

I think that it's a layered defense. If someone gets hurt/condo goes boom/something horrible happens, "They"---whoever They might be--can only go after the assets involved with Condo#, Which at any given time is $Deposit(if there is one involved) + $Rent, if i leave any in the account, plus the actual ownership of the Condo.

This protects me because they wouldn't/shouldn't be able to go after the assets involved in Condo#'s or the INC. If nothing else, it protects me---the physical person with a SSN--from being sued for everything i own. This is how it was explained to me. Two layers of defense, the Condo# is one layer, they have to pierce the corporate veil to find out who owns condo# (The INC), and then they have to justify (i guess that's the right word?) to the judge in order to pierce the second layer of corporate veil, the INC, to find out who i really am so that i could potentially be sued.
FYI, in most states (every one from what I've heard, but maybe not?) its public info who owns LLC's and INC's. Search google for "your state business registry" and then look up your LLC/INC's.

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
The INC comes up with the Resident agent on file, which is my lawyer. I'm not saying I understand why things are set up this way, just that this is why they are.

I had informed people telling me that this is the 'best' way to do it, and i'm going with their informed opinions. Presumably the people who told me to do it this way know what they are talking about, so i'd be making a mistake to not listen to them.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

FlashBewin posted:

I totally forgot your do my effort post regarding this. You have it mostly correct. The only issue is that if you're the owner and landlord, anything deemed negligent on your part will absolutely pierce the corporate veil.

Another benefit from it is hiding your assets from a shallow dive in records. If you structure it right (this is state dependant based on how you do it) , your name will not be connected in a basic records search, which is all a contingent fee attorney is going to do to see if it's worth it. Always tell tenants that you are the property manager, not the owner. It also buys you time with requests / issues. "Hey, tenant, I'll have to ask the owner if you can have a forth dog. I'll try to convince him/her, but no promises" and then "sorry, man. I tried, but the owner just won't remove his hard limits on dog numbers even for such a great tenant like you"

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
Well, the tenants that are in place are paying rent to "Condo#" Whichever condo # is associated with their condo. The condos were in the businesses my sister had/made. Then they were transferred to the 'Estate of....' and that's where the rent was being paid to (the account i opened for the estate) and now the rent is being paid to Condo#. I am their contact for the properties.

The LLCs are owned 100% by the INC. I am the CEO (whatever term applies) of the INC.

Doing the Michigan business search only brings up the name of my Lawyer.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
In general, what's the best way to recover keys when terminating an agreement with a rental agent? My rental property is in NC, but I'm in CA so picking up the keys myself isn't an option. I can send someone to get them, however is it unreasonable to ask them send me the keys back via certified mail/trackable package?

Someone suggested sending a SASE with the certified letter terminating the agreement, however that seems impractical since it can't be tracked. Would I be best served by just pre-printing a shipping label/envelope with tracking and including it?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Shrimpy posted:

In general, what's the best way to recover keys when terminating an agreement with a rental agent? My rental property is in NC, but I'm in CA so picking up the keys myself isn't an option. I can send someone to get them, however is it unreasonable to ask them send me the keys back via certified mail/trackable package?

Someone suggested sending a SASE with the certified letter terminating the agreement, however that seems impractical since it can't be tracked. Would I be best served by just pre-printing a shipping label/envelope with tracking and including it?
Have whoever is doing the move out walk through pickup the keys at the same time?? Simple enough.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SiGmA_X posted:

Have whoever is doing the move out walk through pickup the keys at the same time?? Simple enough.

If it's really a concern, pay a local handyman to change the locks and send them to you.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm toying with the idea of moving out of state and buying a duplex or two in the next 5-10 years. Would it be better to buy outright or take a regular loan? I would probably have enough to buy one outright and finance another, or finance one or two in addition to a regular SFH.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

FCKGW posted:

I'm toying with the idea of moving out of state and buying a duplex or two in the next 5-10 years. Would it be better to buy outright or take a regular loan? I would probably have enough to buy one outright and finance another, or finance one or two in addition to a regular SFH.

Depends on your philosophy regarding debt but there's no right or wrong answer.

If you pay cash it's yours and your cash flow will be much higher but you are out the cost of the property and your money is all tied up in the house.

If you take out a loan, you can keep your cash and your tenants will pay off the loan but your cash flow will be significantly reduced.

Personally I'm happy to keep my cash liquid and have someone else pay the mortgage. If buying a $200,000 only costs me $40k I am a happy guy.

Actie
Jun 7, 2005
Anyone here got experience with umbrella policies for LLCs? I'm buying a few rental properties with some partners. Each property has its own LLC and its own landlord's policy with a good amount ($1M each) in liability coverage. But we're risk-averse and wary of litigation and would like an additional layer of liability defense.

I'm not sure if we should get one umbrella policy that supplements all the LLCs, or one umbrella policy *per* LLC (meaning several umbrellas total), or what. And I'm not really sure which insurers do what we're looking for (I used Farmers/Foremost for the landlord's policy, but they don't do umbrellas for our case). The properties are in multiple states but all in the NYC area, in case that figures. Anyone here ever tried to do something like this?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
If anyone has a perpetually late but always pays tenant and is tired of it here is what I did 3 months ago. My people in one property were getting later and later, and each month with a ridiculous excuse, and I just got tired of it.

I took a piece of paper and wrote down each date in the lease with the fee and action step + date.

So it was like
5 days late: 25 dollars
15 days late: Eviction filing fee (90) + 30 admin fee
etc

I called the family up and said we have to talk about the late rent. I explained in the past I have been lazy with the eviction on the 15th day but from now on I am going to the courthouse and filing. And I explained the way our leases work in this state, if I file even if you then pay I can refuse to accept and evict you (in NC you can write the lease where a late payment is a lease violation and you can continue eviction). edit - Side note: I have been told my lease is written this way but I have never actually done this and I am afraid the judge might tell to pound sand anyway if the tenant showed up with the money.

I had them sign an agreement stating they understood all this. They have been on time every month since. It feels like you are treating them like children but it is better than a late rent check each month.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 20, 2015

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Ribsauce posted:

Good info and good policy.

That's a really good policy and good on you for putting it in place.

I don't think it gets stressed enough that landlording is a business just like any other. Just like you can't expect to pay your bills late and not incur a fee or penalty you should setup your contract the same way. It lets the tenants know exactly what happens if they fail to meet the terms of living in your home and gives you a policy to point to and follow when they don't.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Actie posted:

Anyone here got experience with umbrella policies for LLCs? I'm buying a few rental properties with some partners. Each property has its own LLC and its own landlord's policy with a good amount ($1M each) in liability coverage. But we're risk-averse and wary of litigation and would like an additional layer of liability defense.

I'm not sure if we should get one umbrella policy that supplements all the LLCs, or one umbrella policy *per* LLC (meaning several umbrellas total), or what. And I'm not really sure which insurers do what we're looking for (I used Farmers/Foremost for the landlord's policy, but they don't do umbrellas for our case). The properties are in multiple states but all in the NYC area, in case that figures. Anyone here ever tried to do something like this?

Getting even more insurance would just be lighting money on fire for no gain.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Ribsauce posted:

If anyone has a perpetually late but always pays tenant and is tired of it here is what I did 3 months ago. My people in one property were getting later and later, and each month with a ridiculous excuse, and I just got tired of it.

I took a piece of paper and wrote down each date in the lease with the fee and action step + date.

So it was like
5 days late: 25 dollars
15 days late: Eviction filing fee (90) + 30 admin fee
etc

I called the family up and said we have to talk about the late rent. I explained in the past I have been lazy with the eviction on the 15th day but from now on I am going to the courthouse and filing. And I explained the way our leases work in this state, if I file even if you then pay I can refuse to accept and evict you (in NC you can write the lease where a late payment is a lease violation and you can continue eviction). edit - Side note: I have been told my lease is written this way but I have never actually done this and I am afraid the judge might tell to pound sand anyway if the tenant showed up with the money.

I had them sign an agreement stating they understood all this. They have been on time every month since. It feels like you are treating them like children but it is better than a late rent check each month.

I did this to a current tenant and they got better (but not perfect) about paying. Just saying the E word and putting a firm end date on things will really light a fire under most people's asses. I know what you mean about the excuses, there is a breed of tenant out there that will just continually try you with increasingly incredulous excuses and apologies until you put your foot down.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
if you have someone who is habitually bad, it is worth it to make it as easy as possible for them to pay. I am not sure if your bank allows it, as not all do, but if you can get a commercial account that allows ach draft, it's easy on the tenant and you know it is going to draw from their account on the specified day.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
Must be nice to be somewhere that allows late fees. In MA they have to be 30 days late before you can do just about anything.

Ninja edit: we can't even take a pet deposit and the security cannot exceed one month's rent.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Dragyn posted:

Ninja edit: we can't even take a pet deposit and the security cannot exceed one month's rent.

I ran across someone who mentioned that you should never call it a "Pet Deposit." They said that they charge a "Pet Fee" as an upfront charge and a "Pet Rent" rate of $25 a month per animal. Their argument is that Deposits are refundable but Fees are not. Also that having pets in the home requires a higher level of cleaning so it pays for that service once the person moves out.

I don't know if the guy who made the argument had ever been challenged on the wording or not but it might be an avenue you could look into.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I ran across someone who mentioned that you should never call it a "Pet Deposit." They said that they charge a "Pet Fee" as an upfront charge and a "Pet Rent" rate of $25 a month per animal. Their argument is that Deposits are refundable but Fees are not. Also that having pets in the home requires a higher level of cleaning so it pays for that service once the person moves out.

I don't know if the guy who made the argument had ever been challenged on the wording or not but it might be an avenue you could look into.

Can't even get away with calling it something else:

Massachusetts law prohibits landlords from collecting any money in advance of a new tenancy other than the first and last month's rent, a security deposit in an amount equal to or less than one month's rent, and the cost of installing a new lock. (Massachusetts General Laws, c. 186, s. 15B).

Jan 11, 2004

Dragyn posted:

Can't even get away with calling it something else:

Massachusetts law prohibits landlords from collecting any money in advance of a new tenancy other than the first and last month's rent, a security deposit in an amount equal to or less than one month's rent, and the cost of installing a new lock. (Massachusetts General Laws, c. 186, s. 15B).

You can just raise the rent for pets which would not violate that particular statute

Actie
Jun 7, 2005

Harry posted:

Getting even more insurance would just be lighting money on fire for no gain.

Why?

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

You can just raise the rent for pets which would not violate that particular statute

It's an idea, but I feel like the conversation would be hard to get away with in court. It would be obvious that your trying to circumvent the spirit of the law if the price suddenly jumps up when we find out about "little Fluffy there, who totally doesn't poo poo in the house, I promise."

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Dragyn posted:

Must be nice to be somewhere that allows late fees. In MA they have to be 30 days late before you can do just about anything.

30 days? Realistically how long can someone not pay before you can legally get them out?

Are you allowed to deny renting to pets? Tenants with pets usually stay longer, so I wouldn't, but I am just curious if it is legal.

Jan 11, 2004

Dragyn posted:

It's an idea, but I feel like the conversation would be hard to get away with in court. It would be obvious that your trying to circumvent the spirit of the law if the price suddenly jumps up when we find out about "little Fluffy there, who totally doesn't poo poo in the house, I promise."

No it wouldn't, the spirit of the law is to protect tenants from unconscionable fees and deposits, not to protect pets. Pets cost landlords money and they are not a class protected from discrimination.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 21, 2015

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

TouchyMcFeely posted:

That's a really good policy and good on you for putting it in place.

I don't think it gets stressed enough that landlording is a business just like any other. Just like you can't expect to pay your bills late and not incur a fee or penalty you should setup your contract the same way. It lets the tenants know exactly what happens if they fail to meet the terms of living in your home and gives you a policy to point to and follow when they don't.

You could try doing what my current landlord did. They advertised the place for $X, but my actual lease says the official rent is $X+$150. Then, in the lease addendum, it says that I can pay a discounted rate of $X if I pay on time.

I was a bit peeved by this end-around, since they didn't disclose this until after I had put down a security deposit, but I can see how it's good for the landlord.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Ribsauce posted:

30 days? Realistically how long can someone not pay before you can legally get them out?

In Massachusetts, all evictions require a court order. A simple eviction takes about 3 months. If the tenant knows how to fight is and is willing to allege you broke landloring laws even if you didn't, they can drag it out a year or more.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Ribsauce posted:

Are you allowed to deny renting to pets? Tenants with pets usually stay longer, so I wouldn't, but I am just curious if it is legal.

What SlapActionJackson said, removing a tenant in MA is a herculean feat if they fight you.

You can, however, deny renting to pets, but they can claim that the animal is an "emotional support animal" and boom, little Fluffy is in a protected class.

Mandalay posted:

You could try doing what my current landlord did. They advertised the place for $X, but my actual lease says the official rent is $X+$150. Then, in the lease addendum, it says that I can pay a discounted rate of $X if I pay on time.

This is also explicitly illegal in MA, for the record.

quote:

Late Payment Penalty
A landlord cannot charge interest or a penalty on late rent until
30 days after the due date. However, the landlord can begin
the eviction process immediately, even if the rent is only one day
overdue. The landlord also cannot use a reverse penalty clause
to encourage you to pay early. For example, it is illegal for a
landlord to reduce the rent by 10% if the rent is paid within the
first five days of the month.

Why the hell did I become a landlord in this state? (I'll quit whining now)

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Because you have multi member LLCs and have them split out per property. Combine that with the fact that virtually nothing will cause more than a million dollars worth of damages makes it extreme overkill.

Actie
Jun 7, 2005

Harry posted:

Because you have multi member LLCs and have them split out per property. Combine that with the fact that virtually nothing will cause more than a million dollars worth of damages makes it extreme overkill.

Well, I wish this were true, but there are a great number of things that could, in litigation, result in over a million dollars of damages. Is it possible that you missed the fact that I was talking about liability insurance, not premises insurance?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Actie posted:

Well, I wish this were true, but there are a great number of things that could, in litigation, result in over a million dollars of damages. Is it possible that you missed the fact that I was talking about liability insurance, not premises insurance?

You've already made up your mind. Go get it.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Dragyn, have you had to evict someone? If I had to deal with all that I'd just lay a grand in front of them and say "be out in 15 days with no damages and this is yours." It would probably save you 3 grand by the time lawyer fees, missed rent, damages, and your mental energy and time are factored in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Ribsauce posted:

Dragyn, have you had to evict someone? If I had to deal with all that I'd just lay a grand in front of them and say "be out in 15 days with no damages and this is yours."

Not yet, but we're just getting started with landlording, two properties, both have great tenants right now. It's probably not a bad idea.