Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

anilEhilated posted:

Really? Because this series is the only non-SA LP thing I can watch. Sure, they bumble around and (although Yahtzee has apparently beaten the game before) seem pretty drat lost, but that's a huge part of that game's charm and they let it emerge organically. The story jamming is obviously not to everyone's tastes but compared to some gimmicks I've seen it's pretty harmless.

Getting lost is one thing, repeatedly walking over a 12,000 soul bloodstain during a boss fight and dying before picking it up is another. Still, this isn't the place to complain about that, and I agree their channel is one of the few I watch on a regular basis. They've got their problems but put out entertaining stuff on a regular basis.

but jesus christ how can yahtzee not know agility determines the number of i-frames in your roll fuuuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

dreezy posted:

but jesus christ how can yahtzee not know agility determines the number of i-frames in your roll fuuuuuck
I love first timer DS playthroughs mainly because the comments are full of die hard Souls fans going nuts in the comments cause they're not playing it right.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm not one for Skyrim and those sorts of games, and certainly not LPs of such, but there's a new LPer around worth watching: 79 Year Old Shirley Curry and she's adorable. Feel the magical experience of a grandma explaining why she prefers to RP as a Khajit Merchant... :allears:

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

BlueDude posted:

Sorry to derail from this fascinating talk about Game Grumps, but apparently something really bad happened to Markiplier.

Amazingly, most of the replies are completely and utterly supportive of him. Perhaps the Internet isn't so bad after all.

It turns out one of his friends/co-workers committed suicide.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Ouch, yeah. That sucks. No wonder he's taking time off.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That's horrible news :ohdear:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oddly enough, the thing that got to me the most after reading that was looking up Cyndago to find out who they are and finding that their entry on the 'markiplier wiki' is now written in past tense as of today. :smith:

Also their latest/last video is, in retrospect, perhaps in poor taste:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Oddly enough, the thing that got to me the most after reading that was looking up Cyndago to find out who they are and finding that their entry on the 'markiplier wiki' is now written in past tense as of today. :smith:

Also their latest/last video is, in retrospect, perhaps in poor taste:

Looks like they thought so too. They changed the name of that. It's now "We Dye Our Hair!"

It's horrible what happened, I hope everybody is doing okay.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

CJacobs posted:

...I'm considering revoking my comments about the Internet not being so bad. I know it's probably overreacting, but it's still a little iffy.

I remember when JewWario killed himself in January 2014 - people were earnestly getting upset about not getting any more videos from him, ignoring the fact that he loving killed himself. (But that's besides the point.)

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

BlueDude posted:

...I'm considering revoking my comments about the Internet not being so bad. I know it's probably overreacting, but it's still a little iffy.

I remember when JewWario killed himself in January 2014 - people were earnestly getting upset about not getting any more videos from him, ignoring the fact that he loving killed himself. (But that's besides the point.)

They officially disbanded. I don't think anyone updated the Wiki out of spite, they're just quick.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I know slowbeef and you guys just looooove these things so here:
http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplaysfallouts/

It appears to be the same guy as the Dark Souls ones (it reuses the same interface).
Also they've been humping a wall for the past 15 minutes.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Am I wrong in that these twitch plays are entirely missing the point of why pokemon was chosen in the first place?

I'll be amazed if they ever get unstuck from this corner. It's going to be a miracle just getting out of the vault.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Garrand posted:

Am I wrong in that these twitch plays are entirely missing the point of why pokemon was chosen in the first place?

I'll be amazed if they ever get unstuck from this corner. It's going to be a miracle just getting out of the vault.

No, you're completely right in that!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Garrand posted:

Pokemon seemed ideal because it was a slow-paced game with a simple interface and a small number of inputs. I don't quite understand why you would try the formula with complicated games except to see how it absolutely does not work at all.

I had no idea that there was even a Dark Souls thing. How well did that go?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Jamesman posted:

Pokemon seemed ideal because it was a slow-paced game with a simple interface and a small number of inputs. I don't quite understand why you would try the formula with complicated games except to see how it absolutely does not work at all.

I had no idea that there was even a Dark Souls thing. How well did that go?
They have a setup where it pauses after every second of action to let chat vote on next input. They are about 80% through the game at this point.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Sometimes the pauses are turned off. Sometimes all the inputs are done at the same time. Sometimes switching to magic is disabled because even something as dumb as TwitchPlaysDarkSouls has to complain about magic being overpowered after all these years.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I popped in to check out of curiosity and it looks like they're at the bonfire in Lost Izalith before the Bed of Chaos. How does the system handle attempting to make that last jump to the center? Do three different votes in a row (press and hold the run button, release the run button, then press the run button again to jump) have to pass? If I remember right, this is the only required jump in the game.

OK, it looks like they have an input to toggle running on/off so it's more likely to happen.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 21, 2015

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Forgall posted:

They have a setup where it pauses after every second of action to let chat vote on next input. They are about 80% through the game at this point.

I didn't know it was still going on.

The whole thing about the Souls games is that you have no pauses, so you would think that deciding to force pauses into it to make it work with this plan would have made someone realize that the plan was dumb as poo poo. :psyduck:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

HGH posted:

Sometimes the pauses are turned off. Sometimes all the inputs are done at the same time. Sometimes switching to magic is disabled because even something as dumb as TwitchPlaysDarkSouls has to complain about magic being overpowered after all these years.

I have never actually played Dark Souls, but I thought that it was not a matter of contemption that magic and ranged attacks really do beat melee ones?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
For like 80% of the enemies yes. Then you run into a magic resisting one or a tight arena and get wrecked

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Jamesman posted:

Pokemon seemed ideal because it was a slow-paced game with a simple interface and a small number of inputs.

Also there's basically only one true lose state, which would involve the player releasing all of their pokémon, spending all of their money and then losing all of their pokéballs, so they have no pokémon and cannot catch another one. Unless the game prevents you from releasing every single pokémon, in which case I think the worst that could have happened would be running up against a fight against an opponent that the one remaining pokémon couldn't beat on its own, softlocking the game. There's pretty much no way to lose progress in Pokémon, whereas there are limitless ways to lose progress in a Souls game.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
There are two Twitch plays FFVI streams going on last time I checked and I've never seen more than two people in either stream at a time. It's kind of sad, usually it's just one person spamming commands until they get bored so it's just one or two people very slowly and awkwardly playing a normal game of FFVI

Roar fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 21, 2015

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
OK so I got to the Game Grumps videos of Sonic Adventure where they are playing as Knuckles and have to find the emerald pieces.

-It's a literal game of Hot and Cold. A radar with both color and sound cues that let you know if you are getting closer or farther away from an emerald piece.
-There are little hint fairies that will flat-out guide you to the location of an emerald piece.

Why the gently caress did they need a walkthrough for this? Why were they shocked that the walkthrough basically said "You do not need me to tell you where to go," regardless of if the locations were randomized or not? This is the kind of poo poo you do in pre-school and if you can't figure out "You're getting warmer!" then you get sent to a doctor and your parents cry themselves to sleep for the rest of their lives. You're supposed to become a bagboy at the grocery store, not a YouTuber.

gently caress.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Show me the video. I want to see this.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Golden Goat posted:

Show me the video. I want to see this.

It's multiple videos, but I think the Knuckles section starts here: https://youtu.be/YMoCLf24lgU?list=PLRQGRBgN_Enq2DpbXjaL89BxSQGwLlr_0

Arin is also surprised and pissed off every time to find out emerald pieces can be hidden inside enemies. Like OK, the first time it happens, it's new and he had no idea (possibly because he didn't use the hint fairy that tells him, but an enemy hovering right around where the radar is going crazy would suggest something). But the next two, three times? It's the exact same reaction like he completely forgets it's happened before and I just don't understand.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Jamesman posted:

It's multiple videos, but I think the Knuckles section starts here: https://youtu.be/YMoCLf24lgU?list=PLRQGRBgN_Enq2DpbXjaL89BxSQGwLlr_0

Arin is also surprised and pissed off every time to find out emerald pieces can be hidden inside enemies. Like OK, the first time it happens, it's new and he had no idea (possibly because he didn't use the hint fairy that tells him, but an enemy hovering right around where the radar is going crazy would suggest something). But the next two, three times? It's the exact same reaction like he completely forgets it's happened before and I just don't understand.

If you want to see someone show off their MLG pro strats for a Sonic game, Game Grumps might not be the show for you. Yelling at the game for one's own incompetence, however, is their specialty.

In fairness, the best videos they do are when they completely ignore the game and just have podcast-like banter. Sure, it's not really an LP, but they can be nice to listen to.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

That's the series where they make fun of some dudes's walkthrough on GFAQS and the internet got on his rear end correct?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jamesman posted:

OK so I got to the Game Grumps videos of Sonic Adventure where they are playing as Knuckles and have to find the emerald pieces.

-It's a literal game of Hot and Cold. A radar with both color and sound cues that let you know if you are getting closer or farther away from an emerald piece.
-There are little hint fairies that will flat-out guide you to the location of an emerald piece.

Why the gently caress did they need a walkthrough for this? Why were they shocked that the walkthrough basically said "You do not need me to tell you where to go," regardless of if the locations were randomized or not? This is the kind of poo poo you do in pre-school and if you can't figure out "You're getting warmer!" then you get sent to a doctor and your parents cry themselves to sleep for the rest of their lives. You're supposed to become a bagboy at the grocery store, not a YouTuber.

gently caress.

calm down

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

calm down

YOU calm down. :mad:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i played sonic adventure a year ago and those sections suck. the hints are loving meaningless and the radar is consistently wrong and misleading about where the emeralds are

also the knux controls are bad

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

That's the series where they make fun of some dudes's walkthrough on GFAQS and the internet got on his rear end correct?

Yes. An FAQ he wrote ten years ago. To be fair to the Grumps they didn't realize what they'd done. His nick is cut from the video and Arin apologized directly to him.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

i played sonic adventure a year ago and those sections suck. the hints are loving meaningless and the radar is consistently wrong and misleading about where the emeralds are

also the knux controls are bad

Also the game is bad

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jamesman posted:

YOU calm down. :mad:

They just wanted to look up the locations of the emeralds because they thought they were fixed and wanted to get it over with. Then they found out that nope the emeralds are randomized. :shrug:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
One of the more memorable bits of that incident was someone on Reddit saying that it was Arin's fault that the guy got harassed because if he liked the game, he wouldn't have needed an FAQ.

It had nothing to do with the people doing the harassing, they're fine, it's ARIN'S fault for not liking sonic.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Mokinokaro posted:

Yes. An FAQ he wrote ten years ago. To be fair to the Grumps they didn't realize what they'd done. His nick is cut from the video and Arin apologized directly to him.

That's some messed up stuff.

I actually stopped watching Game Grumps because of the Sonic Adventure series. It's not a particularly good or well-aged game, but I just can't deal with the insane Sonic hate for every single thing. Was really apparent when they had Jirard as a guest and he was trying his best to show off how he liked Sonic 3&K and they just didn't care. (Jirard was a real champ in that playthrough though. Fun guy to watch.)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

BlueDude posted:

This was also made worse by his TV Tropes page immediately being filled with suicide tropes.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

bobjr posted:

This was also made worse by his TV Tropes page immediately being filled with suicide tropes.

what

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
:tvtropes: doesn't exist because it's a site full of delightful, restrained people with a firm grasp on reality and social mores.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Found this through another thread, Stefanie Joosten is doing her own stream/playthrough of MGSV if anyone cares for something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

HGH posted:

Found this through another thread, Stefanie Joosten is doing her own stream/playthrough of MGSV if anyone cares for something like that.

For those who don't know, Stefanie Joosten is the mocap actress and voice of a major character in the game, Quiet. She also doesn't have a moderator for chat, so try not to stare too deeply into the abyss.

• Locked thread