Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
What's going to be awesome is when after raving about this episode for days the second part comes out and I hate every second of it, because Doctor Who Fandom. :)

Diabolik900 posted:

If you say so.
                      /

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

I don't think the implication was supposed to be that the Doctor "created" Davros, the conditions he grew up in did a fine job of that, just that this gave the extra added wrinkle of the older Davros now having recovered the "memory" of meeting him at that pivotal moment, understanding the fresh context and realizing it was something he could goad the Doctor about.

This isn't a predestination paradox where the Doctor ALWAYS met Davros as a child and had this impactful meeting with him, the Doctor never met Davros as a child until the 12th Doctor actually meet him, creating a new memory of an event that hadn't happened before*. Hell, the 12th Doctor himself isn't supposed to exist, initially when the 11th Doctor died at Trenzalore he stayed dead for good. Hell hell, Davros initially just created the Daleks and was killed by them, end of story. Then the 4th Doctor got sent back to interfere in their creation and inadvertently gave Davros new information to incorporate into his designs.

* This is one of the reasons that the Time Lords want to keep from getting involved directly in the affairs of the rest of the universe, poo poo gets confusing!

I hope you're right, because then the entire thing becomes not about How The Doctor Created Space-Hitler Davros, but how Davros caught the Doctor breaking his moral code in a moment of weakness when nobody else was around.

Knowing the way things have been, I think it's gonna be the opposite though. :(

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This might be obvious, but I think the core thing that Davros took from the Doctor was the "gently caress it, you have one chance in a thousand to survive, take it" mentality, not anything directly the Doctor did or didn't do. You're a Kaled and you've got a 1000:1 odds of surviving a war by shoving your entire mutated race into tanks, you take those goddamned odds and cram every one of your mutated race into tanks.

EDIT: Christ, I love Missy's tone with the "What the hell are you up to, man?" line. It's so blase, like you're seeing a friend of yours act just a shade different than normal.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 21, 2015

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Good
Michelle Gomez
Peter Capaldi
Old Davros
Roy Orbison & Van Halen in Doctor Who

The Bad
That "cliffhanger"
Needless revisit of a classic story

The Ugly
Roller-skating Xur
Every UNIT scene

You can't pretend to kill off two major characters in the first part of your two-parter season premiere and expect their deaths to have any emotional weight whatsoever. The audience knows the status quo will be restored by the end of Part 2, Moffat. You loving schmuck.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
So can anyone explain to me why the hell the episode called the Magician's Apprentice?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TL posted:

So can anyone explain to me why the hell the episode called the Magician's Apprentice?

It's Clara. She is both the Magician's Apprentice (Doctor's companion) and the Witch's Familiar (Master's pet).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
[efb]

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

TL posted:

The plot of the episode was an evil snakeman, servant of Davros and magician's apprentice #1, tracking down Clara, Doctor's companion and magician's apprentice #2, in order to find the Doctor for unknown purposes related to the cold opening that will be resolved in the second episode titled 'The Witch's Familiar' (guess who that witch is, who could it be?)

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Angela Christine posted:

It's Clara. She is both the Magician's Apprentice (Doctor's companion) and the Witch's Familiar (Master's pet).

That's a real crap reason because you could say that about every episode Clara has been in since at least the last season. That title deserved a better episode than this.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Rannos22 posted:

That's a real crap reason because you could say that about every episode Clara has been in since at least the last season. That title deserved a better episode than this.

Yeah, I don't see the connection to the plot, even if you include the snake dude in the list of "Apprentices".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

saucerman posted:

Yeah, I don't see the connection to the plot, even if you include the snake dude in the list of "Apprentices".

When UNIT brings in Clara, she's able to act as a surrogate for the Doctor, making connections that the others didn't and figuring things out - she's brought in as the next best thing to the Doctor, his apprentice (and he's later explicitly called a wizard).

Of course this brings up any manner of other problems mentioned by others earlier in the thread, not least of which is that UNIT comes across as incompetent - perhaps the worst scene being when Clara asks about the fuel and Kate goes,":aaa: I never thought of that!" but I think the title's meaning was fairly obvious in the context of the episode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

Of course this brings up any manner of other problems mentioned by others earlier in the thread, not least of which is that UNIT comes across as incompetent - perhaps the worst scene being when Clara asks about the fuel and Kate goes,":aaa: I never thought of that!" but I think the title's meaning was fairly obvious in the context of the episode.

I took that as more UNIT trying to think of every extraordinary/alien possibility without taking a step back to look at the mundane ones.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Unrelated to everything about the situation except that it involves Clara, I honestly kind of liked that she told everyone to take out their phones and check Twitter, in a classroom. If I'm right and kids are still largely not supposed to have their phones in class (which was at least true when I graduated six years ago), this is a pretty perfect image of how that works in schools. Sure, the phones are supposed to be confiscated if they're brought into class, but everyone does it anyway.

And she does it after getting a kid to spit out his gum, into a bucket that's got a bunch of gum in it, so it's clear she's not a lax teacher or anything.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Proposition Joe posted:

The plot of the episode was an evil snakeman, servant of Davros and magician's apprentice #1, tracking down Clara, Doctor's companion and magician's apprentice #2, in order to find the Doctor for unknown purposes related to the cold opening that will be resolved in the second episode titled 'The Witch's Familiar' (guess who that witch is, who could it be?)

Oh also Davros is magician's apprentice #3, he learns how to be a bad person and destroyer of worlds from the Doctor and his lack of compassion/intent to murder I suppose.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Jerusalem posted:

When UNIT brings in Clara, she's able to act as a surrogate for the Doctor, making connections that the others didn't and figuring things out - she's brought in as the next best thing to the Doctor, his apprentice (and he's later explicitly called a wizard).

Yeah, UNIT comes off looking even worse than usual from this, seemingly purely for the sake of letting Clara do all the big showstopper lines. I really like Jemma Redgrave, I just wish Kate would actually do things and be competent sometimes instead of going "oh poo poo better call coal hill, we need the famous five an english teacher" every time the Bandrils come to town.

To repeat much of what has already been said fifteen times, it was a mess of cool and "cool" moments only tenuously strung together, but a pretty fun 45 minutes regardless. Capaldi is really settling into the role now, I think, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of this slightly less prickly version of Twelve. Julian Bleach was just as spot-on as he was in Series 4, Gomez was a lot of fun (though the constant one-liners are kind of running her shtick to the ground a little bit), and I like that they're mixing different kinds of Daleks together pretty regularly now. Any excuse to put a Special Weapons Dalek on TV in 2015 is fine by me.

CGI snakes are more of the Master's thing though, don't know why Davros is suddenly stepping on her toes like this.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know. That was just a small scene and if it's an episode title I would expect that Clara's role gets more explicitly referenced during the episode, like with the "impossible girl" story-line. But she and the Doctor didn't spend that much time together on-screen and the Doctor was busy with Davros anyway. I get who the magician, apprentice/familiar and the witch are supposed to be, I just don't see the relevance in the plot (yet). Maybe Clara's role becomes important in the second part and it makes sense in hindsight?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I think having a cell phone in class depends on the district/teacher. Some places are cool with it as long as your phone is on silent (unless you're in a family emergency like waiting for news about a baby/death), some places have the kids lock up their phones or put them on the teacher's desk for the duration of class, and some outright ban them from the classroom or on campus.

Then there's my wife and several of her colleagues who encourage their use as an academic tool as long as the student isn't being disruptive/looking at some online forum.

Also, can I say I love that the Radio Times posters are back?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rannos22 posted:

Titles are mostly kinda dumb. Except for Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. That one delivered exactly what was on the tin.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

CobiWann posted:

- That can't be Skaro – there wasn't a mutant clam!

One of the soldiers in the beginning warns the others about "clam drones" though! :haw:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Forktoss posted:

One of the soldiers in the beginning warns the others about "clam drones" though! :haw:

No way! That's awesome!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Someone asked earlier whether the Handmines are what become the Daleks - not at all, unfortunately (for them) what becomes the Daleks are the Kaled people themselves, Davros comes to the conclusion that a nuclear wasteland is the only possible outcome of the ages-long war between the Thals and the Kaleds and therefore the only way to survive is to mutate the Kaleds into a form that can survive/thrive in high radiation.

The Handmines would seem to be just one in a long series of horrible weapons designed by both sides as part of their arms race for superiority over the other side. When little Davros grows up, he'd become the Head Scientist for the Kaleds and design even more of the same type of thing, with the Daleks being his ultimate end weapon.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 21, 2015

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Here's my question: why does Doctor Who have so many space bars all of a sudden, and why are they all invariably modeled on the cantina scene from Star Wars? It's so generic and dull.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

pinacotheca posted:

Here's my question: why does Doctor Who have so many space bars all of a sudden, and why are they all invariably modeled on the cantina scene from Star Wars? It's so generic and dull.

Snake dude is really into the singles scene and he didn't know where else to go

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

pinacotheca posted:

Wasn't that the same space bar where the Doctor met the blue fat guy? I got the impression that they wanted me to have an emotional connection to that place, but I didn't.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

And More posted:

Wasn't that the same space bar where the Doctor met the blue fat guy? I got the impression that they wanted me to have an emotional connection to that place, but I didn't.

Yeah, I was more excited to see the Shadow Proclamation again - but then RTDs bullshit always appealed to me more than Moffat's does.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Snake dude is really into the singles scene and he didn't know where else to go

He needed some Nick Cave to get into the mood

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He needed some Nick Cave to get into the mood

Yeah, that was an awesome touch.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerusalem posted:

Handmines . . . arms race

Heh.

How will we ever win this horrible arms race? Wait, I have an idea!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Angela Christine posted:

Heh.

How will we ever win this horrible arms race? Wait, I have an idea!

"What's the matter buddy? Ever since your handmines idea got shot down, you've just clammed up."
"Clams...... of course! It's all so obvious now :aaa:"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pinacotheca posted:

And since when does "Hyperspace" exist? So generic and dull.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

And More posted:

Oh right. That's sort of even worse

E:

computer parts posted:

It would be generic and dull if every spaceship in Doctor Who used the Star Wars hyperspace effect every time they did something apart from normal space travel, I suppose! They don't, though.

pinacotheca fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 21, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I can't remember the last time there was a space bar in the show. The space Orient Express maybe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, I was more excited to see the Shadow Proclamation again - but then RTDs bullshit always appealed to me more than Moffat's does.

The Shadow Proclamation looked a lot more respectable this time than RTD's one. Big Hallway > Tiny Room, I guess.

computer parts posted:

Doesn't Doctor Who tend to use Warp Engines as its catch-all common FTL?

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I can't remember the last time there was a space bar in the show. The space Orient Express maybe.
There's been a couple of times. And there's always an Ood. There's always the goddamn Ood.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I remember a 4th Doctor story, Nightmare on Eden, where I think they used the term "warp", "hyperspace" and "materalise" and "dematerialise" (like the TARDIS appearing/disappearing) all in the same story.

A space liner used "warp drive" to fly through hyperspace. It collided with another ship while leaving hyperspace and they matererialised inside each other, and the two ships fused together.

By the way, the pilot for original Star Trek used hyperspace as well, the warp engines let them fly through hyperspace, and they had hyperspace radios. They later changed that to subspace.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

your evil twin posted:

I remember a 4th Doctor story, Nightmare on Eden, where I think they used the term "warp", "hyperspace" and "materalise" and "dematerialise" (like the TARDIS appearing/disappearing) all in the same story.

A space liner used "warp drive" to fly through hyperspace. It collided with another ship while leaving hyperspace and they matererialised inside each other, and the two ships fused together.

Yeah, I figured they've used basically everything science fiction has every dreamed up, but I've noticed warp drive tends to pop as the standard one. In the revival, at least.

quote:

By the way, the pilot for original Star Trek used hyperspace as well, the warp engines let them fly through hyperspace, and they had hyperspace radios. They later changed that to subspace.

Hyperdrive at Time Warp Factor Seven.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It must be really loving annoying to live on Karn, every time someone visits you all have to light up the torches and arrange yourselves dramatically across the landscape.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They're actually anti-Weeping Angels, when you leave they freeze up into stone, perfectly positioned to Macbeth their next guest.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MikeJF posted:

It must be really loving annoying to live on Karn, every time someone visits you all have to light up the torches and arrange yourselves dramatically across the landscape.

No, they do that every day. They are immortal. They've read all the books and had all the conversations. There is nothing left to be done on Karn, but they will never leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

I liked her new wig. It actually made her look... important?

• Locked thread