Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Tomarse posted:

I think he's a poo poo prime minister. Largely because he and all his mates are all cunts.

Good to know you're clued in on today's important issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tomarse posted:

I think he's a poo poo prime minister. Largely because he and all his mates are all cunts.

Yeah - I'm english too, but I live in the North which might as well be a different country for how much Cameron knows about what it is like here or what it is like to be a normal person.

Seeing as he put his cock in the severed head of a pig whilst it was nestled in the crotch of his mate so he could join in a drinking club it seems he's pretty well away from the normos. That's like the sort of thing I'd expect to see in the retard 'o tron video series.

I bet he played soggy biscuit too and deliberately came last so he could chomp down on his mate's jizz the greedy goat.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
picked up the subie on my way home from work, i had to wrestle some temp plates out of the dmv eqviv. it drives....suprisingly well and it got no major issues. but a lot of things that should be done to prevent poo poo..

One of my kids is sick today so i am fairly limited, but we changed the oil (and got a new oil drain plug) because the PO had rounded it like a boss. i also removed some questionable stickers from the dash. i have ordered a set of bushings, the car drives like it needs them replaced. but i will wait for my battery powered impact to show up before i do it. The clutch is also worn to the point that it needs to go aswell.

god drat my wife is crossed with me for this poo poo. but i love my little subie..

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Looking for new roommates, I put an ad up on Craigslist.

Vince sounded cool and super excited over text.

Vince in person is a late 40s methy looking fellow with a missing tooth, and plenty of stories about his bitch of an ex-wife and his equal bitch of an ex-girlfriend. Seriously we spent at least 20 minutes with him ranting about drama in his life and me sitting there nodding.

This is why you meet potential roommates at Starbucks.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Adiabatic posted:

Looking for new roommates, I put an ad up on Craigslist.

Vince sounded cool and super excited over text.

Vince in person is a late 40s methy looking fellow with a missing tooth, and plenty of stories about his bitch of an ex-wife and his equal bitch of an ex-girlfriend. Seriously we spent at least 20 minutes with him ranting about drama in his life and me sitting there nodding.

This is why you meet potential roommates at Starbucks.

when does he move in?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

corn in the fridge posted:

I don't see what that has to do with the housing market

Haha, it means that at least you get something out of putting down a load of cash on a house

if i buy a house here it' still in Detroit.

in other news Underoath is coming to town in April and I cant decide if I want to buy tickets or not.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 21, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

Haha, it means that at least you get something out of putting down a load of cash on a house

if i buy a house here it' still in Detroit.

in other news Underoath is coming to town in April and I cant decide if I want to buy tickets or not.

Oh god you're one of those people that say they live in Detroit aren't you.

Where do you actually live?

Flint-town fo lyf

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

Oh god you're one of those people that say they live in Detroit aren't you.

Where do you actually live?

Flint-town fo lyf

I used to live in detroit, now i live just north but nobody knows where auburn hills is so I just say detroit haha

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

I used to live in detroit, now i live just north but nobody knows where auburn hills is so I just say detroit haha

Green is people who say "YO I'M FROM DEEEE-TROIT" like they bad.

Red is people who actually bad mamma jammas.

VVVV No he didn't, but he's using the city as an excuse on his housing chat when the suburbs surrounding the D crater are some of the richest areas in Michigan.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 21, 2015

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
To Tusen Takk's credit, he never implied he was a badass. :)

I was always under the impression he lived near it.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
my next job :gonk:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

Red is people who actually bad mamma jammas.
actually that part in red is now a bougie whitepeople zone full of bespoke artisinal coffee shops and hipsters who moved here from brooklyn to open leathercrafting stores lol

Wrar posted:

To Tusen Takk's credit, he never implied he was a badass. :)

I was always under the impression he lived near it.

I spend a lot of time down there, and when i go to my mate's house at linwood and I-94 it's kind of frightening but thankfully the whole "dont gently caress with me i'm from detroit" thing is dying out along with all the heroin addicts

edit: that being said, i am the opposite of a badass :)

quote:

VVVV No he didn't, but he's using the city as an excuse on his housing chat when the suburbs surrounding the D crater are some of the richest areas in Michigan.

they're wealthy, yeah, but there still is nothing to do here compared to elsewhere. it's all suburbs here filled with scared white engineers who only go to detroit for Wings, Lions, and Tigers games or when they're called the GM HQ

idk i miss australia haha

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 21, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

they're wealthy, yeah, but there still is nothing to do here compared to elsewhere. it's all suburbs here filled with scared white engineers who only go to detroit for Wings, Lions, and Tigers games or when they're called the GM HQ

Yeah it's a dumb derail that I shouldn't have started, TT. I just saw the subtle references and flashed back to the jungle with Charlies everywhere in D hats fronting in Flint like they're hard when they live at their parent's mansion in Novi. It triggers the 'tism.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah it's a dumb derail that I shouldn't have started, TT. I just saw the subtle references and flashed back to the jungle with Charlies everywhere in D hats fronting in Flint like they're hard when they live at their parent's mansion in Novi. It triggers the 'tism.

Haha no such thing as a derail in the chat thread :D

I'm going to go have my fifth cuppa tea in the last two hours so laters

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

I can almost forgive referring to auburn hills as Detroit, if nothing else for the proximity to Pontiac.

Unless poo poo has really gentrified in the last six years, Pontiac was no place to gently caress around either.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I live on the border of Pontiac, so I was able to get a 2 story 650sqft townhouse with a full basement and close to oakland uni for $700/month and it rules.

But yeah, I would rather be lost in Detroit than Pontiac. It no longer has its own police force and they closed city hall, i doubt it will ever gentrify since all the white people moving to detroit are bumping rent up and pushing people to pontiac where the rent is lower.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Sounds a lot like Flint, unfortunately. They have the state police doing local crime prevention and no one goes north of Flushing Rd.

Downtown is starting to become okay with U of M Flint and Mott CC, and Kettering is doing alright just with all the industrial brown-zone surrounding it, but the amount of boarded-up houses and barbed wire everywhere really paints a dark picture.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Stay careful when you run the 'ring, A5h.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z13vGps9yoY

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I had to google this pig loving thing because what the gently caress

quote:

“What it basically involved was getting drunk and standing on restaurant tables, shouting about ‘f***ing plebs’,” said Delingpole. “It was all about despising poor people… It’s about mindless destruction, and conspicuous excess and the rather ugly side of upper-class life. It’s loathsome.”

:stare:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
For what it's worth I live on the east side between 8 and 9 mile and don't say I'm from Detroit. But I'm a transplant, moved here about 6 years ago.

Pretty close though. I have to warn friends who are visiting to not get off the freeway til at least 8 mile. First time my parents visited their fucky gps routed them through Detroit surface roads at night, driving up Harper for miles as opposed to 94.

I have them a nice lecture about paying for the god damned gps update they have never done since 2004, or using their iPhones or something because I'd like my son to be able to know his grandparents, lol

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I have them a nice lecture about paying for the god damned gps update they have never done since 2004

Wait does GPS take crime into account when routing?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Apparently they forced everybody to work Saturday at work last week, thank god I took it off. I seriously want to this place to burn to the ground.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

88h88 posted:

I bet he played soggy biscuit too and deliberately came last so he could chomp down on his mate's jizz the greedy goat.
Another name for Soggy Biscuit is "The Eton Biscuit Game", after the eponymous toffs private school.
Guess where Cameron did his O- and A-levels?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

For what it's worth I live on the east side between 8 and 9 mile and don't say I'm from Detroit. But I'm a transplant, moved here about 6 years ago.

Pretty close though. I have to warn friends who are visiting to not get off the freeway til at least 8 mile. First time my parents visited their fucky gps routed them through Detroit surface roads at night, driving up Harper for miles as opposed to 94.

I have them a nice lecture about paying for the god damned gps update they have never done since 2004, or using their iPhones or something because I'd like my son to be able to know his grandparents, lol

Do you live in Ferndale or actual Detroit? :stare:

and yeah when i'm talking to people around here, I don't say I'm from Detroit, but on the internet it's a lot easier

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Adiabatic posted:

Wait does GPS take crime into account when routing?

Haha if it did they probably would have u-turned in Toledo.

Their gps is super screwy and routed them through a Detroit hellscape rather than a 20 minutes faster route using 94. I live just north of grosse point.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 21, 2015

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

I don't say I'm from Detroit, but on the internet it's a lot easier

I'm from the UP and lived in Waterford. Whenever I'd visit home it was easier just to say Detroit because if you don't live in southeastern MI, everything south of Flint is "Detroit". Plus it was fun to hear the opinions of rural middle class white people who once went to a tigers/wings/lions game.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
I know I'm super late on this, but I'm catching up on the thread:

fjelltorsk posted:

Is hopkins and shock trauma the same thing?

She really wants this, because it is really hard to get mass experiance as a trauma surgeon in Norway due to people being less shooty-stabby and this is the woman who put her career on hold to care for me the first six months of cancer treatment, after having to pause her training for the pregnancy and taking an additional year off due to the twins. The consultant firm can run without me, i am just a partner. I am checking via the firehouse if i can possibly work as a firefighter doing some sort of work exchange... the economics would not be impossible if i cant work, but i would probably go bonkers. we also sorta want to get it over with before the kids starts elemantary school in norway...

This girl has sacrificed so much for me, and our family that if we can make this happen... its happening...

she can probably do the fellowship at other hospitals too, would be cool to end up in an area with some ai goons

MD Shock Trauma is one of best in the world. When the US Military was first deployed in Afghanistan, MD Shock Trauma was where they trained the medics. Yeah Baltimore is a complete shithole, but if you can get a decent salary living outside Baltimore City (& County) would be advisable. If she goes through the program at MD Shock Trauma, she will have all kinds of experience, but don't live in Baltimore itself.

Baltimore traffic on a daily basis sucks way less than DC traffic. I live about 20 minutes (in rush hour traffic) outside Baltimore. My area isn't too bad.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9s5xzG4qHI

Rascal is getting kind of huge :3:, especially compared to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZWifkIIibU

[the bones are the same size]

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
It was legit hard for me to get a good photo because I was laughing too hard, I had to crop this one down:

This is less bad but still pretty dumb:

I know this is Canada and everything but you'd think I lived in Alabama with the amount of hicks that live around here. A buddy of mine was saying there is a dude in his hockey beer league that was a confederate flag on his stick.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Detroit Chat

I'm about an hour from Detroit, an hour from Pontiac, and an hour from Lansing, right in the middle of all three, where the hell am I supposed to say I'm from? Mid-Michigan, it's as easy as it gets. Just gotta watch our for the klan out here. I was eating breakfast at a downtown coney island in Howell and had to listen to a table of old farts tell stories to each other about black people in Howell back when the klan was a big thing out here.

For work, however, I have customers in downtown Pontiac that I go to on a weekly basis. It's not that terrible, I just make sure I avoid the obvious shady shops and only go to a new place upon a recommendation. Racism works both ways, white boy in Pontiac lol.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I went to Detroit for the auto show like 3 years ago. There were literally homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk. It's the most depressing city I've ever been to.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

This is less bad but still pretty dumb:

Isn't the point of that to deflect air from a trailer? I mean, still dumb to have that up / installed with no trailer, but I thought they were actually beneficial with a tall trailer attached.

Rhyno posted:

There were literally homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk.
Surprisingly (to me, at least), this also describes Salt Lake City.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Right, this VW diesel thing.

As I understand it, what they've done is make it so the cars recognise the inputs that are characteristic of EPA testing (which are always identical in this kind of thing, so as to be standardised), and switch to a very low-emissions map. Sure, at the expense of power etc, but if you're driving in the manner of the testing, that wouldn't be a factor. Drive the car hard, normally, or close-but-not-quite-identical to the EPA regime, and it'll behave "normally". Any car you pulled at random off a delaership would be capable of giving this result - it'll detect that it's meeting all the conditions that indicate a test cycle, and behave accordingly.

I.... Don't actually have a problem with that, to be honest. As the man said, the race starts when the rulebook's printed, and this is the same deal as far as I can tell. They didn't present a specially modified car for the test, they didn't fudge the test results, they just took the rule of "the vehicle will be put through a cycle of this, this and this, and the results will be taken as indicative of general performance", and made sure that their cars would do really well in that circumstance. How is it philosophically different from the GM skip-shift system?

If that appeared in front of me for some reason, I think my reaction would be to mutter "oh, you cheeky bastards..." - but they did pass the test.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
As I've told others, my biggest fear is that VW might cause another Cadillac fallout with passenger diesel in a time when we need fuel efficient vehicles more than ever.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

IOwnCalculus posted:

Isn't the point of that to deflect air from a trailer? I mean, still dumb to have that up / installed with no trailer, but I thought they were actually beneficial with a tall trailer attached.

Yep. That's why I said it was less bad. It has an actual functional use, but you shouldn't drive around with that thing attached all the time.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Surprisingly (to me, at least), this also describes Salt Lake City.

where else are all the gay kids whose families rejected their sexual identity gonna go?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Right, this VW diesel thing.

As I understand it, what they've done is make it so the cars recognise the inputs that are characteristic of EPA testing (which are always identical in this kind of thing, so as to be standardised), and switch to a very low-emissions map. Sure, at the expense of power etc, but if you're driving in the manner of the testing, that wouldn't be a factor. Drive the car hard, normally, or close-but-not-quite-identical to the EPA regime, and it'll behave "normally". Any car you pulled at random off a delaership would be capable of giving this result - it'll detect that it's meeting all the conditions that indicate a test cycle, and behave accordingly.

I.... Don't actually have a problem with that, to be honest. As the man said, the race starts when the rulebook's printed, and this is the same deal as far as I can tell. They didn't present a specially modified car for the test, they didn't fudge the test results, they just took the rule of "the vehicle will be put through a cycle of this, this and this, and the results will be taken as indicative of general performance", and made sure that their cars would do really well in that circumstance. How is it philosophically different from the GM skip-shift system?

If that appeared in front of me for some reason, I think my reaction would be to mutter "oh, you cheeky bastards..." - but they did pass the test.

I suspect there's probably a rule written to exclude any test-only behaviors, whether on every car as-produced or on specially built cars sent to the EPA, otherwise I'd agree with you. Especially when VW has not tried to refute this at all.

Skip-shift is an interesting comparison, but the conditions required to trigger a skip-shift are broad enough that they can be encountered during normal driving by many people. It's also very obvious when it happens, you even get an indicator light. If you could only trigger it to skip by driving in a very specific EPA-test-only manner, maybe it wouldn't have passed. It also did nothing to the mapping of the engine, it simply forced manual drivers to do 1-4 instead of 1-2.

I would love to find out more about what exactly was required to trigger this EPA mode, and what exactly it did to the car while in this mode.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I suspect there's probably a rule written to exclude any test-only behaviors, whether on every car as-produced or on specially built cars sent to the EPA
You can bet there will be now!

I find the rules you encounter in life are often a lot more amusing if you assume that they all exist only because, at some point, someone did it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Never did I think I'd be happy to say I traded my TDI for a Honda Odyssey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh god. What year is it? Is it possible to get more pics?

Adiabatic posted:

Red is people who actually bad mamma jamemas.

My best friend has apparently lived in Flint, Pontiac and inside Detroit itself. Normally I mock people relentlessly for doing the "I'M FROM DEEEEE-TROIT MOTHA FUCKA, DON'T gently caress WIT ME" thing, him I let it slide since he's usually not too bad. Gonna give him so much poo poo if he gets that loving Detroit D tattoo'd on him like he's planning to though.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 21, 2015

• Locked thread