Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Speaking of gently caress printers:

quote:

Epson printer needs to be installed on pc I tried to install printer shows up but is not printing. It is an Epson printer in the business office apparently the printer had a virus. Please go add printer this mornign for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Gothmog1065 posted:

Speaking of gently caress printers:

:ohdear: That printer is going to be out for a bit, it seems to have a bad cold. It needs rest or it could spread to the other devices!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Someone mentioned VGA with projectors. It's not the laptops that are the issue, it's all the ceiling mounted projectors that only have VGA. Our bosses don't want to spend to replace them all, so VGA it is. We have to buy $40 USB to VGA dongles for projector use.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
:v: Hey, larchesdanrew, I was wondering if we could talk about replacing all the editors with new Mac Pros.

I can't quit laughing, but it's the kind of laughter you do right before you start crying.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

larchesdanrew posted:

:v: Hey, larchesdanrew, I was wondering if we could talk about replacing all the editors with new Mac Pros.

I can't quit laughing, but it's the kind of laughter you do right before you start crying.

Sure, I need a check for $75,000 thanks.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

What do they have now?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Collateral Damage posted:

Can't we just unilaterally decide to stop using loving VGA? It's literally the worst connector possible for something that gets plugged and unplugged a lot, and still everyone insists on using it in conference rooms.

It's 2015. If your laptop doesn't have HDMI or DP you're way overdue for an upgrade.

I've been replacing VGA with DVI or DP wherever I can, but a lot of our hardware only supports VGA. Can't get approval to replace the ancient VGA gear in classrooms while DP > VGA adapters continue to exist.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Our Desktop Support guys are really struggling with UEFI. Like really, really struggling. I've shown them the imaging process with regards to UEFI countless times and provided documentation, but I'll still get calls and e-mails telling me that the "image doesn't work" or "something is broken with the image."

No, Desktop Support Guy, I told you you needed to build out the USB Thumb Drive with Rufus using the UEFI/NTFS feature, and that if you do that Secure Boot has to be temporarily disabled via the UEFI for the image to work. This is the same guy that insists on using a thumb drive for imaging when I setup PXE installs on the subnet to avoid the hassle of having to do that.

I'm not even going to go into CSM or Legacy Mode here. It just does not compute with these guys.

We're starting to have trouble with EUFI here because the old version of Altiris we have as a deployment solution doesn't support EUFI, and most of the other techs here understand it about as well as your desktop team seems to. I'm pushing for SCCM, but it's not looking like we'll switch any time soon. Most of the new devices being purchased are Surfaces, and we don't have a working deployment solution for them. :smithicide:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

"Sure - but just in case you weren't aware, Macs aren't compatible with Buffalo devices so we'll need to order some proper storage."

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Can't we just unilaterally decide to stop using loving VGA? It's literally the worst connector possible for something that gets plugged and unplugged a lot, and still everyone insists on using it in conference rooms.

It's 2015. If your laptop doesn't have HDMI or DP you're way overdue for an upgrade.

We have bucketloads of VGA cords at the shop and my boss doesn't want to spend money at monoprice.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

nexxai posted:

"Sure - but just in case you weren't aware, Macs aren't compatible with Buffalo devices so we'll need to order some proper storage."
I hear they aren't compatible with his lovely office chair so he'll need to include a replacement in the budget.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

spankmeister posted:

What do they have now?

3-6 year old iBuyPowers bought from TigerDirect :suicide:

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Cleaning out old hardware to get them ready for recycling:

That was inside the session, but the connection and remote inputs were still working fine. I made the mistake of clicking "Close the program" without thinking of the repercussions.

Who's got two thumbs and can't access the machine now? :ocelot::shobon:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

Have a look at C2Gs RapidRun stuff: http://www.cablestogo.com/category/rapidrun

I used to burn through all the plastic wall plates as well, started speccing Kramer and just swallowed the cost because it was so much better.

Just used this stuff in our conference room. Can confirm, it's pretty awesome. It's also expensive.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

MiniFoo posted:

Cleaning out old hardware to get them ready for recycling:

That was inside the session, but the connection and remote inputs were still working fine. I made the mistake of clicking "Close the program" without thinking of the repercussions.

Who's got two thumbs and can't access the machine now? :ocelot::shobon:

I'm the Windows 10 upgrade icon.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Sure! *starts drafting up a budget*
CE: gently caress THAT! I'm buying these $200 netbooks from Tiger Direct!
*larchesdanrew sighs as he unsheathes his katana*

Erwin posted:

I'm the Windows 10 upgrade icon.

I'm the microsoft access icon

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm the QB_Backups 2 folder

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I'm the five-year-old Asus Desktop computer running Quickbooks 2013 that the client wants to repurpose as a user workstation.

I'm not going to let it be repurposed.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

MiniFoo posted:

I'm the five-year-old Asus Desktop computer running Quickbooks 2013 that the client wants to repurpose as a user workstation.

I'm not going to let it be repurposed.
Lol no you're the cj assigned to make that happen.

I say that affectionately, I hope you don't take the use of cj in this context as derogatory.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

No, I'm very much the CJ at my MSP. I do all the system setups and wipes and poo poo. Can't really be derogatory if it's true. Still not letting it happen, though :colbert:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

Because AVID runs so good on Mac Pros.

wait, are you going to run Windows on them? :ohdear:

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
How are the new Mac Pros? It's about upgrade time at work, I've been happy with my current Pro, the new one just seems so different, I want to be reassured that it doesn't suck (or warned if it does).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gunjin posted:

How are the new Mac Pros?

They are currently nearly two years out of date in their workstation market, because Apple hasn't given a meaningful update to their equipment since 2013!

Gunjin posted:

I want to be reassured that it doesn't suck (or warned if it does).

Bad news for you then. If at all possible, if your job needs workstation class hardware, and your workflow can be transitioned to Windows or Linux, you really should go with a workstation computer from another manufacturer, one who won't leave the hardware stagnant for nearly two years. It's simply a totally poo poo deal, because the prices aren't going down as the hardware gets old.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
An architectural firm I have as a client recently upgraded all of their drafters to Macs, all running Windows 7 in bootcamp.

Nobody there can explain to me why they thought this was the right solution.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

"We'll take that into consideration, but the budget is stretched thin as it is. Also, I'll be out the next three months as I tour the world in the company's new private jet."

this is literally a thing that happened to me

Haw, that reminds me of when they told us the money for bonuses had rolled out, then the next week a corporate limo that they just purchased rolls up, driven by the limo driver they have hired. Why did they spend this money? The corporate officers kept getting DUI's.

At the end of the year when they did Employee of the Year most of the company had said either I was going to get it or our seriously overworked QA department that consisted of one person. The QA lady was like "Rhyme, you are the only person here who I could see winning it over me, if either of us gets it... I'll be happy." Naturally the limo driver won it, along with the cruise to Jamaica that came attached.

The QA lady stormed out of the party in a huff, meanwhile I was laughing so hard when they called his name that I almost blacked out. I saw it coming, out of the five years I worked there only once did someone who actually work hard for the company win. The rest of the time it was kiss asses/useless fuckers semi related to the boss/giving him blowjobs/whatever.

That place really taught me how powerful nepotism really is.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

We've got a tech in installing a new media playout server. He's pretty cool, and he's been dealing with my supervisor for 8 years now.

My favorite thing he said: "Every time I see your call letters come up, I remind myself I'm just visiting your house and at least I don't have to live there. And it's mostly because of him. He's a smart guy but literally every decision he makes! Blech!"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

larchesdanrew posted:

He's a smart guy but literally every decision he makes!

The fact that even outsiders don't see the problem with making this statement is troubling.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Nintendo Kid posted:

They are currently nearly two years out of date in their workstation market, because Apple hasn't given a meaningful update to their equipment since 2013!

Bad news for you then. If at all possible, if your job needs workstation class hardware, and your workflow can be transitioned to Windows or Linux, you really should go with a workstation computer from another manufacturer, one who won't leave the hardware stagnant for nearly two years. It's simply a totally poo poo deal, because the prices aren't going down as the hardware gets old.

I could transfer to a Windows workflow, but it'd be a huge pain in the rear end thanks to both ProRes and our other location being on Mac. I'll probably just hold off until they do a refresh (though if it's more than another 12-14 month I'll seriously have to evaluate going Windows). And hey, 2 years out of date isn't that bad, I was still using a G5 in 2011.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
A ticket came in:

Lady cannot e-mail out but can receive e-mails. At the same time, we get a warning O365 and AD haven't synced for 3 days. Since this client handles their own exchange server + O365, we send an e-mail to our Points of Contact AND the helpdesk about the O365 sync issue.

:downs: Oh you found the problem?

:eng99: This is for a bigger issue that could also be part of this. We sent a ticket to the team that handles that.

:downs: You sent a ticket to the main team?

:downsgun:

Reading is hard :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

Well, if you replaced the editors with laptops that would presumably remove some of your support headaches because laptops do not generally generate their own support tickets.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Well, if you replaced the editors with laptops that would presumably remove some of your support headaches because laptops do not generally generate their own support tickets.

:golfclap:

This guy is showing me all his toys. He's looks like Santa and he's adorable.

"You have IT guys and then you have 'IT guys.' [points at supervisor's office] 'IT guy'."

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 21, 2015

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A ticket came in, and then it was closed. And then another came in, and that one got closed too. I have like 11 tickets closed today.

I'm exhausted from being on call all weekend, but I'm loving killing it today.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

larchesdanrew posted:

To be fair, the owner of the company for the last job I worked said something similar to this before I started slamming my resume out there.

Only it was for iPads to the sales team and he linked me to a penny auction site. Came right after ducking me, literally, for 4 solid months on asking for a pay raise since I was grossly under paid. Granted it was good resume fodder.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007
SO, i have a user at a remote location. uses corporate network connection AND mobile+VPN at the same time because why the gently caress not. Doesn't seem to work so well. different services take a long time to load.

wonder why...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

larchesdanrew posted:

:golfclap:

This guy is showing me all his toys. He's looks like Santa and he's adorable.

"You have IT guys and then you have 'IT guys.' [points at supervisor's office] 'IT guy'."

And you haven't begged him to take you with him yet? :v:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Haw, that reminds me of when they told us the money for bonuses had rolled out, then the next week a corporate limo that they just purchased rolls up, driven by the limo driver they have hired. Why did they spend this money? The corporate officers kept getting DUI's.

At the end of the year when they did Employee of the Year most of the company had said either I was going to get it or our seriously overworked QA department that consisted of one person. The QA lady was like "Rhyme, you are the only person here who I could see winning it over me, if either of us gets it... I'll be happy." Naturally the limo driver won it, along with the cruise to Jamaica that came attached.

The QA lady stormed out of the party in a huff, meanwhile I was laughing so hard when they called his name that I almost blacked out. I saw it coming, out of the five years I worked there only once did someone who actually work hard for the company win. The rest of the time it was kiss asses/useless fuckers semi related to the boss/giving him blowjobs/whatever.

That place really taught me how powerful nepotism really is.

Came home last night to find a letter from the CEO in my mailbox. It was to let me know that while someone had nominated me for the Employee of the Year award (that came with a whole $500 prize), I was not selected as the winner. The CEO left a note of "I know you work hard!" and then promptly spelled my name wrong.

After the hellacious last week I've had here, I am really feeling the love.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Came home last night to find a letter from the CEO in my mailbox. It was to let me know that while someone had nominated me for the Employee of the Year award (that came with a whole $500 prize), I was not selected as the winner. The CEO left a note of "I know you work hard!" and then promptly spelled my name wrong.

This strikes me as incredibly American for some reason.
Also incredibly entertaining.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sirotan posted:

I am sure that was a joke in a movie somewhere.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sirotan posted:

"Dear [employee], you are a valuable contributor to our company. Please enjoy this $5 off coupon to the local car wash."

At least another employee nominated you though. Thats something.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The CEO's personal secretary won the award.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

"Dear [employee], you are a valuable contributor to our company. Please enjoy this $5 off coupon to the local car wash."

At least another employee nominated you though. Thats something.

The person who nominated me was my boss. Because I told him to. :v:

• Locked thread