Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

MizPiz posted:

Rap and hip hop still exist. And like other modern scapegoats, there's an element of plausible deniability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn6roGifN_Y

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Armyman25 posted:

What he made looks similar to a home made bomb though and it's disingenuous the way people are playing it off like it doesn't.

Ah yes, one of those sneaky Zero Explosives™ bombs.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

As if something being a joke has stopped people from using it to prop up their beliefs.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Meet Martin Shkreli, CEO of Turing Pharmaceuticals.

Because of him, the price of an important AIDS medication is going from $13.50 to $750 per tablet.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Accretionist posted:

Ah yes, one of those sneaky Zero Explosives™ bombs.

So it has to contain explosives to look similar to an actual bomb?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Ah yes, there is absolutely nothing morally objectionable about making as much money as possible. Its what a true follower of Ann Ryan would do!* :shepface:

*at the expense of Aids victims and babies with compromised immune systems.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gppKHqOJ9Jc

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2YAvEMA0Ig

Hans Breuer from Austria is one of dozens who secretly transport refugees from Hungarian camps over the border to Austria. Here he is seen singing a Yiddish song along with a group of Syrian-Palestinians :3:

vvv Hmm what? :confused: vvv

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 21, 2015

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

System Metternich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2YAvEMA0Ig

Hans Breuer from Austria is one of dozens who secretly transport refugees from Hungarian camps over the border to Austria. Here he is seen singing a Yiddish song along with a group of Syrian-Palestinians :3:

System Metternich posted:

secretly transport refugees...Yiddish

Hmm

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Armyman25 posted:

So it has to contain explosives to look similar to an actual bomb?

you do know actual bombs don't have great big blinking light displays telling you how much time you have left to cut the blue wire, right? like this thing only looks like a bomb if you've never interacted with basic electronics at all. do you know how to change a battery, or the oil in your car? that's all the technical ability necessary to recognize what ahmed built as "not a bomb"

at this point i can only assume conservatives are doubling down because they're embarassed at how naive and easily fooled they were by racist connotations

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

you do know actual bombs don't have great big blinking light displays telling you how much time you have left to cut the blue wire, right? like this thing only looks like a bomb if you've never interacted with basic electronics at all. do you know how to change a battery, or the oil in your car? that's all the technical ability necessary to recognize what ahmed built as "not a bomb"

at this point i can only assume conservatives are doubling down because they're embarassed at how naive and easily fooled they were by racist connotations

The kid's teacher thought it looked like a bomb, but I can't speak to her level of technical know how.

But take a look at all the IED detonators I posted, a bunch of them do have LCD screens, wires, and exposed circuit boards. Hell, I've gotten taken aside to a small room due to security at Frankfurt and Copenhagen x-raying my carry on and seeing all the wires and personal electronics in the bag.

But I guess the security at international airports looking at a random collection of a cell phone, lap top, and digital camera and thinking it looked suspicious enough to investigate further is racial profiling against a bald white guy from the midwest.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Armyman25 posted:

The kid's teacher thought it looked like a bomb, but I can't speak to her level of technical know how.

But take a look at all the IED detonators I posted, a bunch of them do have LCD screens, wires, and exposed circuit boards. Hell, I've gotten taken aside to a small room due to security at Frankfurt and Copenhagen x-raying my carry on and seeing all the wires and personal electronics in the bag.

But I guess the security at international airports looking at a random collection of a cell phone, lap top, and digital camera and thinking it looked suspicious enough to investigate further is racial profiling against a bald white guy from the midwest.

hm yes i'm sure an overweight goonlord is treated in the same context at international airport customs as a 14 year old boy in his english class. this is totally a logical thing to think and not the collective outrage of racists getting mad that they were tricked by a teenager's idle crafts project

why in the world you think a muslim boy would bring an IED detonator to school without any of the actual bomb parts attached instead of thinking that it could be literally anything else speaks highly of your motivations as a human being

pictured: how the police saw ahmed mohamed

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

hm yes i'm sure an overweight goonlord is treated in the same context at international airport customs as a 14 year old boy in his english class. this is totally a logical thing to think and not the collective outrage of racists getting mad that they were tricked by a teenager's idle crafts project

why in the world you think a muslim boy would bring an IED detonator to school without any of the actual bomb parts attached instead of thinking that it could be literally anything else speaks highly of your motivations as a human being

pictured: how the police saw ahmed mohamed

You sure like making up your own reality. I said what he brought to school could be mistaken for a bomb, which is something his English teacher even said. I posted images showing devices that looked similar to what he brought to school and gave an example where even trained professionals would investigate a collection of innocuous electronics.

You responded by calling me fat.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
If someone had taken a breath and a second to think that entire incident could have been stopped the first time Ahmed said it was a clock, which he maintained throughout the ordeal. Though I guess his suspicious looking skin put an end to that particular line of thinking. I mean, to quote the police officer upon arriving at the scene ""I knew it was him"

The cops also knew it wasn't a bomb, but they still decided to arrested him.

Here, watch a video of the above retard in a uniform try explain things:
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/irving-police-chief-admits-cops-knew-ahmed-mohamed-didnt-have-a-bomb-when-they-arrested-him/

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Armyman25 posted:

You sure like making up your own reality. I said what he brought to school could be mistaken for a bomb, which is something his English teacher even said. I posted images showing devices that looked similar to what he brought to school and gave an example where even trained professionals would investigate a collection of innocuous electronics.

You responded by calling me fat.

your argument is that anyone in possession of any collection of electronics can be reasonably assumed to be attempting to incite panic through some kind of nebulous bomb hoax which is really ridiculous

I only insinuated that you were racist because i gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you weren't stupid

basically anything that beeps without a nice safe plastic cover is a bomb to you

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

your argument is that anyone in possession of any collection of electronics can be reasonably assumed to be attempting to incite panic through some kind of nebulous bomb hoax which is really ridiculous

I only insinuated that you were racist because i gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you weren't stupid

basically anything that beeps without a nice safe plastic cover is a bomb to you

My argument is that what he brought to school looks similar enough to an actual bomb to cause concern among anyone finding it, which is the same thing his English teacher said. Your argument is that a bare circuit board and wires don't look close enough to an actual device to cause concern. Which I find ridiculous.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Armyman25 posted:

My argument is that what he brought to school looks similar enough to an actual bomb to cause concern among anyone finding it, which is the same thing his English teacher said. Your argument is that a bare circuit board and wires don't look close enough to an actual device to cause concern. Which I find ridiculous

but it didn't cause concern. the bomb squad wasn't called. the cops walked out with kid's clock in hand and tossed it in a car. nobody was worried about a bomb. they dragged the kid out in handcuffs because they were embarassed. this whole thing is just racists being embarrased because they overreacted in public where everyone could see how dumb they were, and the worst part is that they're still embarassing themselves doubling down on idiotic assertions about how they can't tell toaster ovens and bombs apart

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Exactly. Once the cops got involved, any "b-b-b-b-but it looked like a bomb!" excuse goes right out the window, and everyone who tries to defend what happened looks like an idiot.

Meanwhile,

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

but it didn't cause concern. the bomb squad wasn't called. the cops walked out with kid's clock in hand and tossed it in a car. nobody was worried about a bomb. they dragged the kid out in handcuffs because they were embarassed. this whole thing is just racists being embarrased because they overreacted in public where everyone could see how dumb they were, and the worst part is that they're still embarassing themselves doubling down on idiotic assertions about how they can't tell toaster ovens and bombs apart

This is the part I have issue with. You keep purporting that what he brought to school doesn't look in any way similar to a bomb, when it did.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/16/us/texas-student-ahmed-muslim-clock-bomb/index.html

Ahmed posted:

He recalled showing one teacher the clock and her telling him that she thought it was "nice" but he shouldn't show other instructors, according to the paper. The teen put the clock in his bookbag but an alarm beeped in the middle of sixth period and Ahmed showed the teacher what he had, the newspaper reported.

"She was like, it looks like a bomb," he said.

"I told her, 'It doesn't look like a bomb to me.'"

The relevant part here is that the teacher thought it looked like a bomb. Not that it was a bomb, but that it looked like one.

Under the school's rules you're not allowed to something that looks like a bomb to class. What he brought did look like a bomb in the teacher's opinion, and based on what he brought and what actual bombs look like, I agree that it does look like a bomb.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The clock argument has people talking past each other.

Reasonable: you see that clock sitting unattended at the bus stop or cafeteria or whatever. You call in a suspicious package.

Unreasonable: a student says they built a clock and shows you the clock and there are no apparent explosives. Call the cops despite literally no one seeming to think it was actually a physical threat and the student did nothing to try to scare people like a hoax would require.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
e; imgur is being poo poo
e2; quote=/=edit

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 21, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Not sure why you're all wasting time and keyboard wear on that guy. Either he's trolling or he's a genuine dumbfuck and can't be reasoned with. Probably both

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
You know, given that Stand Your Ground laws only require the shooter to believe that he is in mortal danger in order to justify the use of lethal force, I wonder if the English teacher could have just shot the kid first -- just to be safe. After all, he had something that "looked like a bomb".

Armyman25 posted:

This is the part I have issue with. You keep purporting that what he brought to school doesn't look in any way similar to a bomb, when it did.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/16/us/texas-student-ahmed-muslim-clock-bomb/index.html

The relevant part here is that the teacher thought it looked like a bomb. Not that it was a bomb, but that it looked like one.

Under the school's rules you're not allowed to something that looks like a bomb to class. What he brought did look like a bomb in the teacher's opinion, and based on what he brought and what actual bombs look like, I agree that it does look like a bomb.

So, what would you have done if you were this English Teacher / Principal? How does this play out in your head, exactly.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Hubis posted:

So, what would you have done if you were this English Teacher / Principal? How does this play out in your head, exactly.

If I was the teacher I would have confiscated it and taken it to the office.

If I was the principal I would have had a sit down with the kid and then the parents and explained why it's not a good idea to bring things that could be mistaken for a bomb to school. I don't know the exact guidelines of the district in question, so I don't know how much leeway the staff has in dealing with these things.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Armyman25 posted:

If I was the teacher I would have confiscated it and taken it to the office.

If I was the principal I would have had a sit down with the kid and then the parents and explained why it's not a good idea to bring things that could be mistaken for a bomb to school. I don't know the exact guidelines of the district in question, so I don't know how much leeway the staff has in dealing with these things.

Sure, ok.

I, being technically competent, would have responded exactly like his tech teacher ("That's cool, but probably keep that put away because it might get you in trouble"). Were I not technically competent (like the english teacher/principal) I probably would have done as you suggested as well. It seems like we're both on the same page however, that there's a big difference between "someone could mistake it for a bomb" (which might include almost anything, really, though some things more than others) and "this is intended to look like a bomb" and insisting that the student intended it as such despite any reasonable explanations in the result.

Meanwhile,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ggdk-XpoY4

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Gamers are an oppressed minority. Let's represent that by depicting our opponents as protesters with signs and ourselves as the US Military, various super soldiers and the loving EMPIRE from Star Wars.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I'm Batgirl's big rear end.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Armyman25 posted:

You do know that from time to time, the x-ray scanners insert false positives into an image to keep the security team on their toes? If you watch 10,000 briefcases and handbags go by with nothing more suspicious than a rogue tube of toothpaste, you're likely to get complacent and miss the kid awful terrorist with a clock bomb. Maybe you won the 'fake Glock lottery' that day, maybe you were just unlucky. I'm pretty sure that security guys at Frankfurt and Copenhagen know what a digital camera looks like in x-ray.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The issue is that if a lily white teenager brought the same thing to school the teacher wouldn't have reacted at all. But being brown and having a digital clock basically means you're a personified bomb threat.

In other news, Cameron apparently did a thing with a pig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBpQJ98rR4o

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Clock chat is the worst.

Volcott fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 28, 2015

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

They didn't evacuate the school, like you do when there's a bomb.
They didn't call a bomb squad - like you do when there's a bomb.
They didn't get as far away from him as possible, like you do when there's a bomb.
Then they put him and the clock in an office: not like you do when there's a bomb
Then they waited with him for the police to arrive, and then they put the clock in the same car as the police.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

https://soundcloud.com/theiainduncansmiths/pigs-mouth-strikes-again-feat-david-cameron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Justified in that case, those look like Arabic numerals.

• Locked thread