Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Necc0 posted:

The Republican primary market has remained really stable despite different candidates moving around in the polls but I guess most of the volatility in the Biden market is being driven by it's relatively short deadline.

The republican primary market is giving Trump and Kasich equal odds now, and Jeb is still considered the most likely to win.

I just noticed that there's a section for markets that are having the the largest swings in prices, how long has that been there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

The republican primary market is giving Trump and Kasich equal odds now, and Jeb is still considered the most likely to win.

I just noticed that there's a section for markets that are having the the largest swings in prices, how long has that been there?

Kasich is like the new Ron Paul for prediction markets. I bought No on him in the 79-81 cent range and the market refused to budge for months. Looks like he's still inflated by about a factor of two or three over where he could reasonably be placed.

The Yes inflation in that market is somehow more ridiculous than ever. People really hate pressing the No button, it seems.

I think Jeb on top by a couple points is probably reasonable, though.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Wanamingo posted:

I think the more important thing is that it isn't certain on any one candidate getting the nod, which is correct.

quote:

Just showed up today, I think.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Vox Nihili posted:

The Yes inflation in that market is somehow more ridiculous than ever. People really hate pressing the No button, it seems.
Yup. I was looking forward to the post-debate trading adding some decent irrationality that I could arbitrate. Strangely enough immediately after the debate it actually got the most rational I've ever seen it with only a 1.5% ROI. Good to see it's quickly going right back to where it was though.

edit: Right before the debate it was at an insane 7%. I should have dumped a lot more money in then than I did.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer has issued a correction as of 01:43 on Jan 23, 2016

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Got out of Kasich when I thought he peaked (after that 1st debate). Made a decent profit. I bought yes back before he announced. Rolled everything into Biden Yes a while back and am looking forward to a nice mid-October cash out.

You have to be willfully ignoring some pretty blatant loving evidence to go with No at this point.

Watch his interview with Colbert and tell me that Biden is a man who thinks he can handle a year-plus long campaign. He wants to be president, but right now, he doesn't want to run for president. And I don't blame him.

Believe me, I'd be happy as poo poo if Biden ran (aside from the money I'd lose), especially because I might have a job result from that, but he's not gonna, unless something really changes with Hillary.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Watch his interview with Colbert and tell me that Biden is a man who thinks he can handle a year-plus long campaign. He wants to be president, but right now, he doesn't want to run for president. And I don't blame him.

Believe me, I'd be happy as poo poo if Biden ran (aside from the money I'd lose), especially because I might have a job result from that, but he's not gonna, unless something really changes with Hillary.

It's too bad, the "my dead gay son told me he wanted me to be president" narrative will go to waste.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Now's the time to buy up Biden Nos by the way. Even if you're wrong, it means Bernie will probably be our next president and you'll get money from his good economic policies. Win/win.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

You have to be willfully ignoring some pretty blatant loving evidence to go with No at this point.

Care to share?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Nothing indicates "yes" either - if he was going to enter, why is he waiting this long?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
And nothing has indicated yes, just the usual blather thAt leads up to any announcement, yes or no. Of course the media plays it as yes because that's more interesting, but all their evidence is the usual concluding things based on what you already assume is true stuff. I think it's 50 50 at this point and that's why I bought thirty no shares at 33 cents, just because I think no is about 17 cents cheaper than it should be.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It's only 80 cents to buy that Walker will not be the next to drop out (Yes is selling for 38). If that price goes down some more it'd be a steal, no way Kochs give up on him so early.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fronz posted:

It's only 80 cents to buy that Walker will not be the next to drop out (Yes is selling for 38). If that price goes down some more it'd be a steal, no way Kochs give up on him so early.

There's a Wisconsin debate in November. Someone else will drop out before that; Walker NO is a sure bet.

I just got back in on Biden NO :getin:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

pathetic little tramp posted:

And nothing has indicated yes, just the usual blather thAt leads up to any announcement, yes or no. Of course the media plays it as yes because that's more interesting, but all their evidence is the usual concluding things based on what you already assume is true stuff. I think it's 50 50 at this point and that's why I bought thirty no shares at 33 cents, just because I think no is about 17 cents cheaper than it should be.

I don't know that I'd say it's 50/50, but it's definitely not a sold yes or no. Biden absolutely, 100% wants to run and be president. However every report is that the death of his son has been hard as poo poo on him. He's repeated several times to different audiences that he's not sure that he's got the emotional strength to run right now. Also the field is really not set up for Joe Biden to jump in and have a good chance, especially not this late in the game.

So it's desire vs reason, and while we do know that Biden has a whole lot of desire, there is still not that much showing he's disregarding reason. Dangling the possibility out there keeps the door open longer for him to think about it, puts pressure on Hillary to get out and in the media more, and puts further pressure on other potential not-Cintons to stay out of the race.

I'd say it's 65-35 no.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I can't believe how much the Republican field has flattened in the past week.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

lol okay man he's got bundlers coming on board, a support infrastructure has been forming for months, a super pac, an advisor overheard talking strategy and timing of the announcement, the WH is giving the world the ol' wink-wink we don't have an endorsement BUT, Biden is traveling to key states testing out stump speeches, his wife came out and clarified that she's 100% behind a run, and he went on national tv to talk about a run, but no way is he running.

God bless you rubes.

I feel like if he were going to run he would have announced when he went on Colbert. Romney was doing the same thing as well and decided to duck out.

Guess we'll find out in a few weeks!

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Jewel Repetition posted:

Now's the time to buy up Biden Nos by the way. Even if you're wrong, it means Bernie will probably be our next president and you'll get money from his good economic policies. Win/win.

You really have been in the echo chamber too long if you think bernie is "probably" going to be the next president.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

You really have been in the echo chamber too long if you think bernie is "probably" going to be the next president.

If Hillary's campaign deteriorates enough for Biden to step in, I think Bernie has a good chance. That's not a fringe view, even Nate Silver said it.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

If Hillary's campaign deteriorates enough for Biden to step in, I think Bernie has a good chance. That's not a fringe view, even Nate Silver said it.

This is being awfully generous with 538's comments about Bernie. Nate said in a single post on his site, which was a transcription from a Slack chat, that if those conditions are met, as unlikely as they are, then Bernie has a non-zero chance of getting the nom. More often repeated on the site thus far is the notion that if Hillary's campaign somehow completely crumbles then the party is far more likely to nominate a different establishment candidate than to let an outsider wrangle away control of the party.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Biden NO down to .32, free money imo

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aliquid posted:

I just got back in on Biden NO :getin:

Same here. At 30 cents each, I'd be a fool NOT to buy them :shepspends:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Same here. At 30 cents each, I'd be a fool NOT to buy them :shepspends:

Price is already jumping back into the 40c range. Wish I had been online when No fell to 20-some cents, missed out on a deal.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
This market is an absolute roller-coaster :allears:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Scott Walker is flying up the "next to drop out" list amid reports that apparently republican insiders are saying it's time to jettison the dead weight. Stanley Hubbard, one of his bigger donors is telling people he's off the Walker train too.

I wish there were some kind of market to bet on David Cameron getting hosed up because Jesus Christ he's literally a pigfucker, Putin could be the next PM at this point.

pathetic little tramp has issued a correction as of 17:19 on Sep 21, 2015

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yes on the october shutdown is zooming up. when's a good time to sell, you think?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the government better not loving shut down i swear to god

i still don't think it'll happen; if you're on the YES side i'd dump after it goes above .55 or .60

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

AARP LARPer has issued a correction as of 01:44 on Jan 23, 2016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Got a nice ride out of my Biden YES so I flipped it into Shutdown YES at 52 cents. This thing is going down the wire, so I figure the longer I hold on, the better. I plan on cashing out on that final afternoon at whatever I can get for my shares.

i'd cash out the day before; things tend to get leaked and nothing ever actually comes down to the wire on CSPAN

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Yeah I'm feeling like a bit of an idiot for just selling at 45.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

You shouldn't feel bad about getting out early (unless you lost money by doing so). Don't fall into the trap of blindly chasing the max return; it's probably the easiest way to get burned.

Yep. You can always hold a couple shares to see if you can push your luck, but buying and selling on the swing is definitely the way to go.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Got a nice ride out of my Biden YES so I flipped it into Shutdown YES at 52 cents. This thing is going down the wire, so I figure the longer I hold on, the better. I plan on cashing out on that final afternoon at whatever I can get for my shares.

EDIT: there are only four official working days or so in Congress by my count. Pope will be taking up a lot of space/time during those days as well. I feel pretty good that this is going all the way to the midnight hour (or beyond).

Just be careful because there are a lot of other traders doing this same strategy.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah I was tempted at buying 'No' but there's way too many wildcards involved here for me to be sure either way.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Biden NO is climbing, I think I'm gonna sidle on out of that market with a pretty profit instead of trusting my gut that he's not running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

Biden NO is climbing, I think I'm gonna sidle on out of that market with a pretty profit instead of trusting my gut that he's not running.

thanks for the heads up, i'm starting to dump at .45

and with that trade, i'm now in the black since i signed up lol

• Locked thread