Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Also like 1.5km longer range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Reztes posted:

Am I just incredibly unlucky or do Cleveland's guns just love blowing up all the drat time? In the past few days, in around 50% of my Cleveland games, I've lost two batteries from single salvos. Not damaged two batteries, outright destroyed them instantly. Can't decide if it's worse when it happens to both fore/aft guns or when I've had one of each pegged, but either way drat losing half my firepower to these crits is infuriating. I even took the main battery durability mod, although it would be pretty :wargaming: if it turns out that mod is bugged to increase the chance of incapacitation or something instead.

:ssh: Cleveland is still a good boat and a crazy murder machine even with half its guns knocked out

The sides and roof of the main turrets are very weak. As in weak enough that 5in HE can get through them.

On the note of turrets getting knocked out, I think people are stating to realize how weak the Atlanta's turrets are. It certainly feels like more people are aiming for them.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

warcake posted:

Is there any one playing EU botes? It sucks playing by yourself

Blinks, on the EU server.

There's also a load of goon channels. I tend to hang about in Bulbaros'

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Fender posted:

Do I want to use the type C hull for the Omaha? It looks shittier. Why am I giving up 2 guns?

Stick to B imho. Not only do you lose guns, you lose a torp launcher on each side with C. Having 2 launchers on each side is so much better for any close range fighting you get into.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Junkozeyne posted:

Some people have posted their usernames, mine is Baumii_1 if you want to add me.

Blinks77 posted:

Blinks, on the EU server.

There's also a load of goon channels. I tend to hang about in Bulbaros'

I added both you guys, I'll try to hang around in goon channels and see whats up.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Fender posted:

Do I want to use the type C hull for the Omaha? It looks shittier. Why am I giving up 2 guns?

I just switched to the C hull, and I prefer it in every way. The guns you lose are on the sides to the rear, so they're not that big a deal. I still have 5 turrets pointing forward. And I haven't even really noticed the loss of the torpedo launchers.

I have noticed the increased range and better AA, though. It's basically the Murmansk with different torpedoes.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Reztes posted:

You can still be set on fire from hits to a section with 0 health left, and the fire will do its whatver-%-per-tick damage as normal, but the shell hits themselves will stop doing damage(and HE shell hits tend to deal much more damage than the resultant fires). Also, if you're pointed straight at or away from the target as James Garfield describes, you'll likely only be hit in one or two sections (fore/aft and superstructure) so it does limit the number of fires that can be set, indirectly reducing fire damage that way.

Does this actually seem to work for you, as in my CAs I want nothing more than for a BB to show his rear end or bow to me, it hides at least half your guns, it far easier to hit then someone moving at an angle, it certainly never seems to cause my damage to fall off, and it becomes basically impossible for me wast any rounds on your side armor. I fact I would call it the best possible angle for fighting a BB at.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
So, since I'm low on the silver, I'm trying to decide what ship I should skip.

I could skip the Colorado, but after a frustrating weekend of not even being able to get my 3x on my Hatsuharu I'm tempted to just jump into the Fubuki.

People in this thread have sworn to me how it's not bad.

Figured I'd look up my stats after an 100k damage loss.

22% win/loss rate. I guess you see my frustration.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Devorum posted:

I just switched to the C hull, and I prefer it in every way. The guns you lose are on the sides to the rear, so they're not that big a deal. I still have 5 turrets pointing forward. And I haven't even really noticed the loss of the torpedo launchers.

I have noticed the increased range and better AA, though. It's basically the Murmansk with different torpedoes.

I snagged it immediately after this thread told me to. I'm also 100% on board with the C hull. That extra range is super nice. It's now much more viable a tactic to run & hide behind the BBs and still be able to lob shells in retaliation.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Please tell me there is a light at the end of the pensacola tunnel. I just want to punish Clevelands, I've grown to hate them so much.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Krataar posted:

Please tell me there is a light at the end of the pensacola tunnel. I just want to punish Clevelands, I've grown to hate them so much.

If you can make it through the Pensacola your a better man than me. I have decided to just play the Cleveland until I can free exp the Pensacola.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Is the P-cola a worse experience than the Furry Taco?

P-cola is what trendy young Mobilians called Pensecola in the late 90's

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
At first I really hated the Pepsi, because the Cleveland is OP as gently caress. But once I learned how to handle her she's grown on me. You can land some pretty spectacularly grouped shots down range with her for like 5-6k HE damage + fire apocalypse damage :D

She's no where near as tough as the Cleveland though, drive her more like an Omaha.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Peniscola has low arc of fire and fast projectile speed but suffers from seemingly weak armor and big citadel hitbox (and lovely stock turret). You're better of fighting at 12+ km range mainly because Peniscola just can't afford to get hit, and at this range you can easily dodge shots from Cleveland. Similar play style to Atago but with worst Concealment for a cruiser.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
If the Clevelands citadel was as big as the pepsis, oh boyyyyyyyyyy

It'd be a reaping. A reaping of the pubbies.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Krataar posted:

Nope. US cruiser line is boring as hell. At least until the Des Moines I guess in which case you get guns that fire 10 rounds a minute but good luck getting through the boring grind of the Pensacola, New Orleans and Im assuming Baltimore though I have not gotten to that one yet. Outside of AA I cant think of anything the US line does better than the IJN line. IJN get 203s sooner, they're faster, the higher ones have more HP, they have torpedoes for stuff that gets too cocky and close, they feel more accurate to me at least. I guess their only real downside is the citadels are probably bigger on the Japanese line.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

DurosKlav posted:

Nope. US cruiser line is boring as hell. At least until the Des Moines I guess in which case you get guns that fire 10 rounds a minute but good luck getting through the boring grind of the Pensacola, New Orleans and Im assuming Baltimore though I have not gotten to that one yet. Outside of AA I cant think of anything the US line does better than the IJN line. IJN get 203s sooner, they're faster, the higher ones have more HP, they have torpedoes for stuff that gets too cocky and close, they feel more accurate to me at least. I guess their only real downside is the citadels are probably bigger on the Japanese line.

In my experience, other than the penis, the US line takes hits way better than the Japanese, and I'm not really sure on the accuracy. I've dropped some ruinous salvoes in my time in the US ones.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Whelp, looks like the Aim assist is back.

http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/22243-wowsaim-assist-is-back-rip/

Time to go play Cities until the drunk russkie's figure out another way to ban it.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Vorkosigan posted:

Whelp, looks like the Aim assist is back.

http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/22243-wowsaim-assist-is-back-rip/

Time to go play Cities until the drunk russkie's figure out another way to ban it.

Goddamnit. Even if you're good at aiming, this hack will give an advantage in terms of getting shots off quicker. It might become tempting to use this when all the shitlord pubbies download it and start landing way more shots than they otherwise would. :(

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

xthetenth posted:

In my experience, other than the penis, the US line takes hits way better than the Japanese, and I'm not really sure on the accuracy. I've dropped some ruinous salvoes in my time in the US ones.

My Japanese cruiser accuracy % is pretty much sitting in the 40s on all the ships I have better accuracy in the New Orleans compared to the Mogmami but the Mogami also has 15 guns compared to the the 9 on the New Orleans which I mostly only fire the forward 6. Also my average damage is pretty much 10,000 higher on all the Japanese ones compared to the US. I just feel like I'm far more effective in a Japanese cruiser. It seems as though you cant really do a whole lot when you're in the US cruisers if you get too close to a BB for example. You have to either run or hope your HE spam is effective and they ignore you. While in a Japanese cruiser you have torpedoes to help give you an advantage. When I'm playing battleships I will always prioritize a IJN cruiser over an US one because I know the Japanese one is going to be dangerous if I ignore it. I just dont get that sense of danger from the US line. Its always "Well I can just deal with you later."

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Basically the Pro's of the US cruiser line are rather negligible.
Somewhat better armour and AA isn't really that great compared to more damage (more guns) and, well, more damage (torps).

Blinks77 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 21, 2015

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Speaking of IJN cruisers, I just got into the Furutaka last night. Only put a couple of games into it, but uh, wow what a change from the Kuma. I'm withholding judgement since I'm still in the stock boat, but so far I just miss my Kuma. :(

At least I don't have to suffer quite as much as everyone who played it before the recent buffs, but what a pig. These guns are so slow to rotate and reload, this rudder is slower than the stock St. Louis, and the stock AA :negative: . If I weren't saving my free XP for the Colorado, I'd skip this module grind for sure.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 21, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blinks77 posted:

Basically the Pro's of the US cruiser line are rather negligible.
Somewhat better armour and AA isn't really that great compared to more damage (more guns) and, well, more damage (torps).

Their major downside is that they are basically all citadel.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

Their major downside is that they are basically all citadel.

I've never really noticed that. Yeah, if you go side on you'll suffer for it, but that's true of most anything really.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blinks77 posted:

I've never really noticed that. Yeah, if you go side on you'll suffer for it, but that's true of most anything really.

I tend to play a lot more BBs these days and find the US cruisers way more deadly for some reason. Their belt armour isn't up as high as a lot of US ones which makes it that much easier to drop AP onto their decks/sides.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I have a fully upgraded taco and the power of the guns is the only thing it has going for it, even with a fairly skilled captain for it's tier.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
IJN ships have lower arc of fire and faster projectile speed compared to USN ships, which are important for current Tier 8+ game flow of long range sniping. Sure higher arc means you can hit citadel through deck, but your target has to be really dumb to just travel in straight line for 10~15 seconds.

This is why I'm always pushing NC and NO inside 2/3 of their respective max range in order to minimize enemy dodging shots. I'd rather shoot at belt and do minimum damage than try to land on deck and miss all my shots. However this means risking getting killed, and if enemy decides to cluster up and just snipe all day there's nothing I can do except try to snipe and hope. However with Tirpitz and Atago I can just shoot from wherever I drat well please and still hit most of my shells due to fast projectile speed and low arc of fire.

Sure USN ships have better AA but that won't stop 2~3 squads of planes flying straight to you anyway unless you have other ships around you for more AA.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
This is not how to BB, watch it for some cheap laughs. This was my 12k xp Atago game on the 3x weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbBDcP1Uem0

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hammerstein posted:

This is not how to BB, watch it for some cheap laughs. This was my 12k xp Atago game on the 3x weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbBDcP1Uem0

All of them were firing HE. :holymoley:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

On the other hand, that higher arc of fire US cruisers have is good for one of the most enraging things in the game as far as I'm concerned. That being hiding behind an island and lobbing a rain of shells, usually HE for obvious reasons, at you while you cannot do anything in return. And yes, this is mostly applicable to Atlantas and Clevelands due to their extreme RoF. You don't have to be particularly accurate with those salvos when you can literally just saturate the general area someone is in, after all.

edit: And if an aimbot has popped back up, that's going to make it all the more dickish. Since the fact that you cannot actually see your target's position being the mitigating factor no longer matters if an aimbot is showing you exactly where to aim.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 21, 2015

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Fortunately the aimbot won't fix the wonky-rear end inconsistency in trying to shoot over an island. Half the time the game correctly realizes that you're trying to hit the distant targetyou're locked onto, and the rest of the time the game helpfully figures you must really want to shoot at the hillside in the foreground instead.

Oh and aside from idiots firing HE in that vid, looks like they're also doing the prime pubbie idiot tactic of stopping somewhere really really dumb. I see it all the time, and more than anything else it just confuses the poo poo out of me when I'm shooting at someone (usually a battleship) who just...stops in the middle of a fight, or somewhere really silly like those dudes in the channel. Like, yeah maybe you dodge part of one salvo, but then I get the next 5-10 totally for free. Obviously sometimes it must be engine damage but other times... what are they thinking :psyduck:?

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Reztes posted:

Fortunately the aimbot won't fix the wonky-rear end inconsistency in trying to shoot over an island. Half the time the game correctly realizes that you're trying to hit the distant targetyou're locked onto, and the rest of the time the game helpfully figures you must really want to shoot at the hillside in the foreground instead.

Oh and aside from idiots firing HE in that vid, looks like they're also doing the prime pubbie idiot tactic of stopping somewhere really really dumb. I see it all the time, and more than anything else it just confuses the poo poo out of me when I'm shooting at someone (usually a battleship) who just...stops in the middle of a fight, or somewhere really silly like those dudes in the channel. Like, yeah maybe you dodge part of one salvo, but then I get the next 5-10 totally for free. Obviously sometimes it must be engine damage but other times... what are they thinking :psyduck:?

There are rare times when it's better for me to stop and/or reverse, but it's always behind an island or some obstruction between me and whatever is shooting me/whatever I am shooting at as I try to plan ahead of whatever manuever they are planning.

Sometimes it helps me realize that me and my two buddies aren't actually going to do anything to the 9 ship deathball floating around the corner and I need to turn the hell around under cover and run. Sometimes I pay the price of a Carrier noticing that I am not at speed and I eat Torps. And sometimes I manage to switch from reverse to full forward in time to watch three spreads miss and I get to ask the CV/DD what he was aiming at in public chat, which is always worth it.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Reztes posted:

I will stop and get better accuracy for my guns! :downs:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

wait times for ranked battle are getting pretty awful. honestly one of the nice things is/was that the matches are shorter.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Just started playing, how much of the information on the first page is still relevant? I'm also mostly using the US cruisers and just recently got the Phoenix, so now I'm out of port slots and wondering which ships should be worth keeping, which should be sold when made irrelevant, and what should be skipped. I'll go for Battleships a little later.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

So far the St. Louis is the only ship I've kept after unlocking the next one in the chain. IMO there's no particular reason to keep the tier 1 and 2 cruisers unless you really enjoyed them, but the St. Louis is excellent for seal clubbing in low tier matches. As for the rest of the US cruisers, in my experience they all more or less do the same thing. You eventually lose torpedoes at tier 6 to focus on just throwing all the HE shells all the time.

The Japanese tier 2 destroyer is also fairly unique in that it has a very low detection range, and longer range torpedoes than you will see again for several tiers (though they are slow), and people in low tiers tend to be quite obliging about running into them.

I haven't found any other lower-tier ships to be worth hanging on to.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Thanks. I really need to work on my aim then, I don't seem to do a whole lot before getting killed. Though half the time it's from encountering what seems like the entire enemy team and then getting focus fired to death because there's nowhere to run or turn as I get annihilated and my shells doing seemingly pitiful damage when they do hit.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
What's the consensus on the fourth upgrade on the Cleveland? Rudder or damage control?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Vadoc posted:

Thanks. I really need to work on my aim then, I don't seem to do a whole lot before getting killed. Though half the time it's from encountering what seems like the entire enemy team and then getting focus fired to death because there's nowhere to run or turn as I get annihilated and my shells doing seemingly pitiful damage when they do hit.

Fighting boats is all about positioning. Even the fastest boat can one be in one place and needs it's share of time to change its mind. Time you will spend being shot at if you stick your face into the oven.

Avoid driving into dangerous areas until enough pubbies drift over to provide distractions "support."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

That's especially important to think about when transitioning from the St. Louis - which is so slow you generally have to pick a direction early and head there at full speed - to the Phoenix, which is quick and very lightly armored. Driving it the same way will easily outpace your teammates to leave you as the only target in range of the enemy team.