Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Those are valid examples, although you'd be hardpressed to find a casual comic book fan who knew of any of them besides Steel.

And I think the fact that Thunderball is smart (but not falling into the "evil because they're so tortured by their intellect" trope) and still chooses to be a villain is a neat bit of characterization.

You need to read his appearance in Damage Control!

(we miss you, Dwayne McDuffie)

Oh, and for badass - read the "When Doom Defaults" issue.

("Do you have ID? ..... Do you have photo ID?")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Question IRL posted:

The "kid" was actually the mother of those kids.
She dies, but because she was British and Brian Braddock had moved onto the king of the Outworld, he shows up and gives her the same choice he was given. The Sword or the Stone.
She choses the Sword and becomes the new Captain Britain.
She is later renamed to Lionheart, shows up in Claremounts Excalibre run (where she is being mind controlled. 'Natch.)

And after that was into obscurity.
As for why you never heard of this? This was the Avengers run just before Disassembled so she never got a proper run on Avengers.

And yes, those pages were written by Chuck Austin.

Ahh, because she's kneeling and Thunderball is huge she looked young.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Endless Mike posted:

Throw it at Batman.

:golfclap:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Parahexavoctal posted:

You need to read his appearance in Damage Control!

(we miss you, Dwayne McDuffie)

Oh, and for badass - read the "When Doom Defaults" issue.

("Do you have ID? ..... Do you have photo ID?")

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Ferrule posted:

Midnight (2).

It happened in an arc of AMS that also included Darkhawk, Punisher, and Night Thrasher (another "smart black guy").

Round Robin: The Sidekick's Revenge! :science:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Latveria seems to have a really low credit rating:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Alhazred posted:

We can't let Latveria go to the wall. Dr. Doom is too big to fail!!

(This is also the plot to Secret Wars.)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

PicklePants posted:

I think he also upgraded Moon Knight's formerly dead, now a cyborg partner and the leader of the Secret Empire (who was also a secret cyborg).

I'll never respect a leader of the Secret Empire that isn't Literally Dick Nixon. :colbert:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
Fallen Rib

Alhazred posted:

Forget Fantastic Four. Fox should make this into a movie instead, while keeping the original dialog. Where's my money, Honey? indeed.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Madkal posted:

Forget Fantastic Four. Fox should make this into a movie instead, while keeping the original dialog. Where's my money, Honey? indeed.

Luke Cage is at Marvel/Disney.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Thank God.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Also someone later decided that people who pick the sword are wrong and there's a whole corps of Lionhearts who are all assholes with swords.

That someone would be Claremont, when he created Captain Britain? The whole point is to NOT pick the sword because if you do that you're picking a weapon to hurt people. The amulet is literally the amulet of RIGHT. It's not a hard test. Albeit it's one Austen failed.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Man, gently caress that. Swords are fuckin' rad as hell.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Travis343 posted:

Man, gently caress that. Swords are fuckin' rad as hell.

Swords are cool, but if you're a no-killing hero, they kind of suck. You have to hope for a lot of robots.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

prefect posted:

Swords are cool, but if you're a no-killing hero, they kind of suck. You have to hope for a lot of robots.

Or lots of slow-moving energy beams you can deflect.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

We can't let Latveria go to the wall. Dr. Doom is too big to fail!!

(This is also the plot to Secret Wars.)

Secret Wars will end when the IRS takes his Beyonder powers because he didn't declare them as a fixed asset on his taxes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

prefect posted:

Look chopping off an arm or a leg gives the other guy the opportunity to become a cool cyborg, you're really doing them a favor

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Flesh Forge posted:

Look chopping off an arm or a leg gives the other guy the opportunity to become a cool cyborg, you're really doing them a favor

They're rubber swords. Honest!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

That someone would be Claremont, when he created Captain Britain? The whole point is to NOT pick the sword because if you do that you're picking a weapon to hurt people. The amulet is literally the amulet of RIGHT. It's not a hard test. Albeit it's one Austen failed.
No, Claremont made it such that there's a right and a wrong choice. It was later decided that those who made the wrong choice get super powers anyway.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

No, Claremont made it such that there's a right and a wrong choice. It was later decided that those who made the wrong choice get super powers anyway.

And in Earth/Universe/Paradise X, Alex Ross made it so that BOTH choices were the wrong choice.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Wasn't the point in Universe X that there actually wasn't a choice, just a false duality?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

Swords are cool [...]

No they're not, swords are dangerous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_RpbaUU7NI

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

TwoPair posted:

No they're not, swords are dangerous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_RpbaUU7NI

I agree!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

If Thunderball is so smart, you'd think he'd maybe give the chain a little more slack so it wraps around the shield to the soft target behind it, instead of hitting the indestructible shield over and over.

:goonsay:

e: Terry Pratchett rules

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 22, 2015

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

LawfulWaffle posted:

If Thunderball is so smart, you'd think he'd maybe give the chain a little more slack so it wraps around the shield to the soft target behind it, instead of hitting the indestructible shield over and over.

Given that she ends up dying because even though she is wielding an indestructible shield, she's a normal housewife and doesn't have the training/physical strength to fend off super strong attacks, I think Thunderball won that argument.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
But the shield is supposed to completely absorb all kinetic energy she should just be standing there and the ball hits the shield and drops to her feet every time

:spergin:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AnonSpore posted:

But the shield is supposed to completely absorb all kinetic energy she should just be standing there and the ball hits the shield and drops to her feet every time

:spergin:

This is also what I think every time I see that page.

:spergin: :respek: :spergin:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah. If it worked the way that page says, Cap's shoulder would be dust. He's just a really strong dude, not Thor.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah. If it worked the way that page says, Cap's shoulder would be dust. He's just a really strong dude, not Thor.

I always thought that the vibranium absorbed a large amount of the force, and caps enhanced strength allows him to endure the rest. That lady just being a regular person could not.

Heresiarch posted:

It works however the guy currently writing the book needs it to work to keep the story moving.

It is literally a plot device, like all superhero equipment.
True

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 22, 2015

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
It works however the guy currently writing the book needs it to work to keep the story moving.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Didn't 1 guy get to be Cap because the other 30 guys trying to catch the shield broke their arm/shoulder?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Heresiarch posted:

Sure, because if it absorbed all kinetic energy, it wouldn't hurt people when you hit them with it.

This does not stop me from :spergin:, though.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

LawfulWaffle posted:

e: Terry Pratchett rules

He does make it pretty clear that he doesn't really want to kill her.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If it absorbed all kinetic energy, it would also get REALLY hot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Heresiarch posted:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SynthOrange posted:

Well you know what they say about guys with big hands.

They can never truly understand Jewel.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

They can never truly understand Jewel.

If I could tell the world just one thing, it would be that you're ok Gavok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

One day I will go to a Chikara show and stalk meet Gavok.