Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
I wouldn't mind a new game+ feature where all the upgrades are available, but maybe just purely cosmetic? Big chrome V8 in your car, but it doesn't perform like the real thing. I don't know, something. I just want more of this game :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I imagine they'll develop DLC based on more arcade-style action. Hopefully.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I really, really hope we see more car combat DLC. More Gastown races, more convoy assaults, etc.

poo poo, I'd love to see something akin to the scenarios in 'The Road Warrior' and 'Fury Road' where you're defending a convoy, or perhaps driving a War Rig-esque vehicle, etc..

Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014
On my second playthrough I intentionally didn't grab any Griffa upgrades or stronghold improvements and limited myself to just the first tier of gear upgrades, mainly for the jacket and a little more ammo capacity, also only grabbed the first 2 levels of thunderpoon upgrades and the game plays so much better. I also tried not to look at the map at all and just used landmarks and the compass to navigate and payed attention to all the visual signals like smoke and dust clouds to locate bases, camps and convoys, which may seem LARPy but made the flow of the game so much better than when I was just clearing map icons.

Staying fueled up with enough ammo, health and water to get poo poo done is actually a challenge a lot of the time and just surviving becomes a much bigger focus. Those little camps become important as ammo and water sources,and when I start running low I have to actually go out and scavenge, sometimes having to run away from poo poo if I can't handle it or if I think I'd expend more resources than I'd gain. It's totally loving Mad Max and the game should have been like that from the beginning, along with a stronger focus on factions and territory control. It seems like there's already the bones of a bunch of systems they never had the chance to flesh out.

This is close enough to my perfect game that I couldn't help thinking of all the ways I'd change it. It boils down to more interaction between systems to create emergent gameplay and just having a larger percentage of your time spent on vehicle based content, which is definitely the game's strong point. Here's some unfocused, sleep deprivation fueled rambling that contains some of it:

-More of a focus on stealth, positioning, timing and use of your surroundings in combat with an overall weaker max. Max always seemed like more of a wits and surprise based fighter rather than a brawler, and I think there'd be more room to add some depth that way.

-Vehicle physics more grounded in reality, so forcing enemy cars into barrel rolls( a Mad Max staple) and ramming enemies off cliffs and bridges and into walls and poo poo could be more of a thing. The explosions are amazing, but it would be nice to have some variety in how you disable enemies.

-More advanced damage modeling. No health bars but armor could be visibly removed until certain parts are vulnerable. This already exists with stuff like ramming or harpooning wheels off or shooting the driver once armor is stripped, but it needs expanded on.

-Motorcycles and big rigs. I'm assuming they were left out because they couldn't get the physics right for them. Still a shame and they're omission stands out. Was nice to see the War Rig in the tunnel, though.

-More friendlies out in the wasteland, with allied and enemy strongholds spawning convoys (led by actual war rigs) you'd have to defend to bolster friendly strongholds or attack to weaken enemy strongholds until their vulnerable to siege, at which point you could sneak in and deal with the top dog or assault with friendlies. Allied strongholds could fall under siege and you'd have to break them like you do at Pink Eye's. Enemy convoys could be hijacked and driven back to a friendly stronghold while fighting off enemy pursuit vehicles.

-Simple supply lines could be modeled so you have to create inroads to Scrotus's territory and help keep allied camps and strongholds on the front line supported after capturing them. You could also cut off support to enemies and make bases much easier to capture. This would give you a choice between using your car to weaken bases and allow allies to capture the bases themselves or go in on foot yourself while they're still strong if you're into that.

-Replace scrap with a reputation based economy. The more you help leaders, the more they and their people support you. Improving strongholds gives you access to ammo, water, fuel, training in new combat techniques and new black thumb lore and artifacts (shop manuals and tools) for Chum so he can install more advanced parts but that all must be purchased with rep. Rep is gained by finding and securing resource caches in the wasteland to be brought back to strongholds, capturing enemy vehicles to be used by allied forces, wasteland missions and all the other poo poo you currently do to reduce threat. If rep gets high enough without being spent it has a chance of triggering wasteland missions with greater rewards like car parts. I think this would force an interesting choice between short term and long term gains.

-Car parts would be less arbitrarily gated, with a stronger emphasis on trade-offs rather than straight upgrades. Parts could be salvaged from enemy vehicles, with stronger ones offering better parts, taken from enemy convoys and bases, or found through wasteland missions. Seems like they probably wanted to do this anyway considering you do get some parts from missions, and it's way more satisfying than just buying them with scrap once threat is low enough.

-As a simple implementation of the nemesis mechanic from SoM, a unique war party would be randomly sent out led by Scrotus (or possibly an underling) in response to loss of territory. Each time you destroy the boss vehicle he escapes in a catapult launched gyrocopter or something and returns next time with a vehicle modified to be impervious to all the ways you previously destroyed it, forcing you to deal with it a new way each time. Could be lame, dunno.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
A few I forgot:
  • Archangels don't seem to have much of a purpose. The game makes a big deal out of having you build The Jack and gives the impression it's teaching a major gameplay mechanic. Why not give them unique characteristics as an incentive to build them? Make them legendary cars that you're reassembling, anything but, "Here's a mix of bad parts that are worse than some you already own."
  • Camps got repetitive quickly. The hand-to-hand fighting is fun, but I wish there was more to them than "blow up oil rig/oil pumps/kill guys". Scrotus' insignia and scrap collection felt like the worst kind of checklist open-world objectives.
In general, I think the strongest parts of the game were the car combat while attacking convoys and the sense of exploration while driving around the wasteland. I'd have liked it if the car upgrades were more like hunting for the different car bodies or going into the Dunes to explore ruins for old-world equipment.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

more friedman units posted:

but I wish there was more to them than "blow up oil rig/oil pumps/kill guys".

Oil transfer camps were the worst, considering how often the oil tanks liked to blend in with everything in some tucked away little corner. :argh:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Like Mac Con there, my second run is minimal upgrades. Literally not buying any upgrades for the car or Max until it demands that I do so, with the exception of the jacket and shotgun because I want to look like Max. Nothing else though, nothing.

I've just been chasing the main story, not going out of my way to do anything else. You know, I think I figured out the bad reviews. It's not because it's a bad game (gently caress no), but it's very much dependent on you buying into the idea of exploring the world and lingering a little. I've already got to Gastown, and so far the stuff that you're forced to do is really limited. You must clear one optional camp, you must take down one convoy, you must ascend one balloon. Later I know I must win one race. I had two very brief pauses where I needed more scrap and had to do a little freeroam, but that was it. I think the only real gating will be the preparation for Crowdazzle's Speed Demon race.

Busy reviewers burning through the storyline get an entirely different experience. It's much flatter and less impressive. I actually had more fun in any random couple of hours of post-game map clearing as it took me into some amazing locations and some great fights. The storyline, for the first 3/5ths, is really just a glorified introduction to the things you should be going and doing *for fun* and I can tell some of those reviews were skipping that stuff and racing for the finish line.

It's what I've always said, about open world games and the reviews of them. No-one has the time to fairly review them, because open-world games REQUIRE fannying around time. This isn't optional, it's part of what they are.

Also, how fun you find certain aspects of open-world games will vary by individual more than it'll vary by game. I'll state again, there are no 5 star open world games. Even the best of them are 4 star games, but it's +/- 1 star for individual taste. Mad Max is again a solid 4 star game. Personally, the amount of addicting fun I got from it makes it feel like 5 stars for me, but lack of bikes, trucks, and serious challenge makes me think objectively it's fairest to mark it as a 4.

Even on this second run I'm not feeling the challenge yet. The only real limitation is a single shiv, but not even that has slowed me. Maybe in later fights. Game really needs a super difficult NG+ mode.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Personally I'd like to see something smaller and more contained for a second game. Way of the Samurai style, where theres a smallish area and a bunch of stories that occur simultaneously and you pick where/how Max is involved, if he does at all. Encourage replayability even if a single run only takes a couple of hours at most with a bunch of different endings. Let you collect cosmetics and weapons that you can use on future runs through. poo poo like that.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Parkingtigers posted:

It's what I've always said, about open world games and the reviews of them. No-one has the time to fairly review them, because open-world games REQUIRE fannying around time. This isn't optional, it's part of what they are.

Also, how fun you find certain aspects of open-world games will vary by individual more than it'll vary by game. I'll state again, there are no 5 star open world games. Even the best of them are 4 star games, but it's +/- 1 star for individual taste. Mad Max is again a solid 4 star game. Personally, the amount of addicting fun I got from it makes it feel like 5 stars for me, but lack of bikes, trucks, and serious challenge makes me think objectively it's fairest to mark it as a 4.

IGN's 'bring your kid to work day' is pumping out some serious content.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Can't stop won't stop taking screenshots

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Holy poo poo I only just realized you can stomp on lizards and eat them for health.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

nexus6 posted:

Holy poo poo I only just realized you can stomp on lizards and eat them for health.
Rats too.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I remember when I discovered that. There's a little scrap area with the skeleton of a woman huddling with her child in a half-buried boat that has a particularly sad history relic, and as I walked over there was a lizard hiding in the shade that I could just stomp on. I wasn't sure if that was deliberate given that they died of starvation :(

So many of the scrap areas have a lot of pathos.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Xenomrph posted:

I really, really hope we see more car combat DLC. More Gastown races, more convoy assaults, etc.

poo poo, I'd love to see something akin to the scenarios in 'The Road Warrior' and 'Fury Road' where you're defending a convoy, or perhaps driving a War Rig-esque vehicle, etc..

Boy have I got the game for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0JPB4b3Zck

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
People keep posting that but it's still not very good :colbert:

e] :mediocre: even

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 21, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

nexus6 posted:

I found out there was an achievement for eating maggots when I accidentally did so while fighting a War Boy next to a bunch of corpses. Amazingly he let Max almost finish before hitting him. I like to imagine him sort of standing there all "uhhh :stare:" as Max gave him a dead-eyed stare, reached into a nearby rotting corpse, jammed a fistful of maggots in his mouth, and started chewing without breaking eye contact.

Max is cartoonishly hardcore in this game, it's great.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yes and apparently Skyshine's Bedlam is poo poo too. I will have to wait for Fallout 4 to start scratching the post apocalypse itch again.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 21, 2015

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Ehhh, Convoy is still a pretty good game if you need to kill some time on a poo poo work PC. Adding the Johnny Bravo/Red Alert/C&C voice packs helps.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Thirsty Dog posted:

I remember when I discovered that. There's a little scrap area with the skeleton of a woman huddling with her child in a half-buried boat that has a particularly sad history relic, and as I walked over there was a lizard hiding in the shade that I could just stomp on. I wasn't sure if that was deliberate given that they died of starvation :(

So many of the scrap areas have a lot of pathos.

That's exactly what I'm talking about when I say games like this need to have players spend time enjoying the world that was created. There are so very many amazing little places to discover, the vast majority of which you do not need to visit if you just pound through the story missions.

Fine, sure, some people don't want to explore every nook and cranny. For those I'd suggest not playing open world games, they're not for you. Some open world games don't have things worth discovering, and they should have been linear experiences (hello LA Noire). This game though, it's an explorer's dream. So much to see, so much to find, and when you get there your reward is a good old-fashioned punch up followed by Wasteland Instagram moments.

One of the last things I found was a cave holding a single shipping container filled with dead bodies. Outside, someone had painted on a crude ribbon and bow to giftwrap it. It was creepy, eerie, and sad. Did I get anything of material value from going here? No. Was it worth my time to go here? gently caress YES.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Some poo poo is just annoying (bringing cars back to giving you scrap even if you have the model already, having to kill convoy leaders, etc). If they're going to make hoarding important, it'd help if the hoarding was actually well implemented. Also I just say a loaded up scrap car drive into a camp, thought "sweet, imma get some of that", drove after it and it had despawned. What the hell.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Yes and apparently Skyshine's Bedlam is poo poo too.

Yeah, I almost fell for buying one of these two games too. What a wasted opportunity these two games had.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

I will never, EVER, get tired of diving out of the car at speed whenever I need to get out.

Also this:

Wastelander: "Surely you're not going to take on that entire camp by yourself?"

Chumbucket: "Oh, y-you bet he is! A-and don't call him Shirley."

:vince:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chumbucket makes another pop culture reference when you're raiding one of the Buzzard camps, he says the Buzzards "mostly come out at night.... mostly."

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Welp, I hosed up. I finished the game, and since I wanted to punch more warboys while wearing the iconic jacket and carrying the iconic shotgun, I started a new game. I overwrote the old game, and now I have no jacket or shotgun. Ugh.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Welp, I hosed up. I finished the game, and since I wanted to punch more warboys while wearing the iconic jacket and carrying the iconic shotgun, I started a new game. I overwrote the old game, and now I have no jacket or shotgun. Ugh.

Have you got as far as unlocking the Max customisation menu yet? They should be there from the very first moment that thing unlocks, which is a couple of story missions into things.

If it's unlocked, and you don't have them, welp.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

Have you got as far as unlocking the Max customisation menu yet? They should be there from the very first moment that thing unlocks, which is a couple of story missions into things.

If it's unlocked, and you don't have them, welp.

Yeah, I'm already on the Wasteland Classic mission and there's no jacket and no shotgun. I probably hosed something up, but this game does seem pretty buggy, so...

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, I'm already on the Wasteland Classic mission and there's no jacket and no shotgun. I probably hosed something up, but this game does seem pretty buggy, so...

I believe it's something like you have to use autosave slot 1 or something like that. I don't recall the specifics of it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Crappy Jack posted:

I believe it's something like you have to use autosave slot 1 or something like that. I don't recall the specifics of it.

This is what I did (PS4) and it worked for me. Don't know about other platforms or other slots, but saving over slot 1 seems the only reliable(ish) method so far.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

This is what I did (PS4) and it worked for me. Don't know about other platforms or other slots, but saving over slot 1 seems the only reliable(ish) method so far.

That's what I did. I saved over the old save, which is Autosave Slot One, when I restarted and nothing.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

That's what I did. I saved over the old save, which is Autosave Slot One, when I restarted and nothing.

On PC, started a new game and played to the point where you can upgrade Max. No jacket or shotgun. I wonder if this is PS4 exclusive or even a bug or something.

Capn Beeb posted:

Oil transfer camps were the worst, considering how often the oil tanks liked to blend in with everything in some tucked away little corner. :argh:

I initially thought it was a nice change of pace from games where collectibles and objectives are pointed out with what might as well be giant "GO HERE" signs, either through showing them with pinpoint accuracy on the map or having some mode that makes them glow or whatever. I will admit that sometimes I really loving missed that when hunting for the tanks and picking up bits of scrap in some areas...

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

evil_bunnY posted:

Some poo poo is just annoying (bringing cars back to giving you scrap even if you have the model already, having to kill convoy leaders, etc). If they're going to make hoarding important, it'd help if the hoarding was actually well implemented. Also I just say a loaded up scrap car drive into a camp, thought "sweet, imma get some of that", drove after it and it had despawned. What the hell.

I kinda wish you could use the flare gun to signal stronghold folks to come pick up cars for you.

Or use the flare gun as a weapon.

Or both!

foozwak posted:

I initially thought it was a nice change of pace from games where collectibles and objectives are pointed out with what might as well be giant "GO HERE" signs, either through showing them with pinpoint accuracy on the map or having some mode that makes them glow or whatever. I will admit that sometimes I really loving missed that when hunting for the tanks and picking up bits of scrap in some areas...

Yeah, it was nice having a lot of stuff to blow up, then some of the camps tucked those things underground or under bridges so uh sure hope you noticed that ladder off in a tiny corner or what have you :v:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Capn Beeb posted:

I kinda wish you could use the flare gun to signal stronghold folks to come pick up cars for you.

Or use the flare gun as a weapon.

Or both!

Last time I used the flare gun it flipped out and launched me 50ft in the air :psyduck:

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Alright I have seriously managed to perfect this game experience for me. Only use the Interceptor, only use the classic jacket and shotgun(hair you can gently caress with as you desire, currently rocking oil smudged face and goggles), and drive around listening to the fury road soundtrack. Specifically this track for road combat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs7TxUI8A64

I have also been bit by the 'get good screenshots' bug, but these are the only two I've actually bothered to get so far. One with logo, one without.

I've left Gutgash's territory mostly untouched so I can still have a high enemy presence in an attractive/cool looking part of the map.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I really like the way Avalanche handle collectibles for the most part. In many games, collectibles are a disgrace that need to get in the loving sea. Even in linear games there's just no way you can reasonably expect to scour every corner finding them all, and my primary rule of game design is that I should never need to look up help on the internet. Even AAA mega titles like The Last of Us, my joint favourite game of all time, falls into this trap. So there I am, on a replay, with a guide open on my iPad telling me where to find these drat things. It sucks.

Of course, then you have the other extreme where you still have all this junk to collect, but the game displays everything on the map for you. Everything. So then it's not a challenge at all, not even an occasional sense of discovery, it's just navigating from dot to dot to do mindless busywork.

Flawed as it may be, I enjoy the Avalanche way. It'll mark a location or area as having stuff in it, it'll also tell you what stuff you are looking for, but then you need to look for those things within that designated area. I like that. Best compromise between actually needing to poke around and hunt for things, but without it being an actual impossible task. Sure, a couple of the camps had one piece of scrap that would defeat me, and I'd eventually crack and just Google the location, but those handful of instances aside I got 100% in this game without any need to be told what to do by some aspie mouthbreather's YouTube guide. And I love it for that.

Was the same in Just Cause 2 as well, where I enjoyed clearing out locations. Collectibles had a hotter/colder radar to guide you in, and there was a specific range of objects that needed blowing up and you learned quickly to spot them and take them out. I don't want to be just given the answers to problems, but I also don't want the search to be ridiculously impossible like in LA Noire where a 30+ hour playthrough saw me discover ONE out of FIFTY gold film reels in the natural course of playing.

Avalanche's choice isn't perfect, but it's a good balance for my tastes. I think my favourite remains The Saboteur, where everything was marked on the map, but it didn't tell you what each location was. Might be a tank to blow up, a tower to climb, a collectible to pick up, a jump to ramp off, a general to kill, a loudspeaker to shoot out etc. Clearing both maps was satisfying though, something I've not been able to say about many other games of this type. Holy poo poo GTAV had three types of main lovely unmarked collectibles, and I hated myself for getting them all even with their website map to help me. A bunch of secondary collectathons too. Ugh.

You're alright Avalanche. You're alright.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Last time I used the flare gun it flipped out and launched me 50ft in the air :psyduck:

I had a few things hit me during a storm (or maybe it was just the wind) that sent me up in the air spinning around uncontrollably. Even weirder was this happened while I was fighting some warboys in a room in one of the camps.

I also managed to break on through to the other side twice now: Once I bailed from a stolen car just before I ghost rode it into an oil tank (the fuckoff huge ones by the Jaw (I think) that are the size of buildings) and it exploded, and the explosion somehow pushed me through the wall of the tank into the inside, where I was trapped. The second was during a Death Race, where I pushed another car off a cliff but went off with it, and when we both hit the other car exploded and I was underneath the map. I kept trying to to nitro myself back up to the surface but it seemed to only go down.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Finally got around to finishing the game and fully clearing out the side stuff. Clocked in at around 43 hours for it all.
Here's the links to my let's play if anyone is interested, part 1 and 2 and mostly loving around with a few missions whereas 3 and 4 are mainly story stuff.

Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvEA-LriHdM
Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Ai-cp8Fag (heh)
Part 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqNb7MaRT-A
Part 4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDtjkrpXRH8

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

foozwak posted:

On PC, started a new game and played to the point where you can upgrade Max. No jacket or shotgun. I wonder if this is PS4 exclusive or even a bug or something.

It's not PS4 exclusive, I managed it on PC. Maybe you need to keep a copy of your old save in one of the other slots?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Xenomrph posted:

Chumbucket makes another pop culture reference when you're raiding one of the Buzzard camps, he says the Buzzards "mostly come out at night.... mostly."

I just got that last night. Still waiting to find the Shirley one.

Did the Gastown race - wasn't that bad, enjoyed the fighting afterwards. Holy hell, that dream sequence... dinki-di :stare:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
That entire sequence is pretty good. The dream sequence is meh, but tophat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Whoever decided that defusing 93 mines in this game would be fun just needs to never be allowed to make games anymore

• Locked thread