Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

In happier news, I got my hardcover of Chuubo's today! Book is huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Tiny Epic Galaxies arrived today. I really dig the little wooden tokens, but there's something about the dice that don't quite feel right.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Kwyndig posted:

In happier news, I got my hardcover of Chuubo's today! Book is huge.

Aw, man. I'm super-jealous. I haven't gotten mine yet; I didn't even realize people were getting them.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

jivjov posted:

Tiny Epic Galaxies arrived today. I really dig the little wooden tokens, but there's something about the dice that don't quite feel right.

:comeback:
My range of emotions knowing that it's showing up, then realizing that I'm sitting on a plane and won't be home to receive it until Thursday night.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

atholbrose posted:

Aw, man. I'm super-jealous. I haven't gotten mine yet; I didn't even realize people were getting them.

They're going out one at a time from whoever your closest DTRPG POD supplier is, mine was Lightning Source, but if you're overseas it'll be somebody else. As such they'll be slowly trickling out to people because, due to reasons, this is how it has to be done and the POD method doesn't allow batch processing for reasons that only make sense to Drivethru.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My understanding is that people are getting their Chuubo sent out alphabetically by first name.

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

My understanding is that people are getting their Chuubo sent out alphabetically by first name.

Really? That doesn't explain how I got mine a few weeks ago, then, since I am right at the end of the alphabet and live in Australia (the box was shipped from Germany, though)

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

jivjov posted:

The dice seem fine to me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

senrath posted:

The dice seem fine to me.

Mine have a kinda slick feeling that I'm not used to in dice.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

They feel pretty identical to the Chessex dice I have, which I guess could be described as "kinda slick" if you just rub them for a bit.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of dice, Q-Workshop just launched a project for a solid metal dice set. Of course, the problem with solid metal dice is that they're expensive as hell ($70 for a complete set).

A few others that have come up recently:

Lovecraftesque is a GM-less cosmic horror game that lets the players create their own unique Lovecraft-style mythos. The "95% complete" draft is available on the front page.

Wrath of the Autarch is a sort of RPG/board game hybrid about kingdom building, like Kingdom but crunchier. It seems to be sort of Fate-based.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Tiny Epic Galaxies arrived here too, can't wait to give it a shot.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
In other happy news, I got my copy of Stone and a Hard Place for Deadlands. Time to murder me some invincible DMPCs. I really like how the big plot point campaigns Pinnacle's been doing for Deadlands have all been about kiling the grudge monster metaplot NPCs that seemed like such a good idea in the 90's.

In less happy news, my cat spilled soda over my copy of Inverse World. At least I'll eventually get my scribble-copy to replace it, one day...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Nobody seems to have posted this, but the Level 99 Games EXCEED Kickstarter is up. I'm still not sure about them kinda double dipping on a niche like this instead of just developing BattleCON some more, but eh.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

GrandpaPants posted:

Nobody seems to have posted this, but the Level 99 Games EXCEED Kickstarter is up. I'm still not sure about them kinda double dipping on a niche like this instead of just developing BattleCON some more, but eh.

Yeah, as much as I love Level 99, I'm already way too invested in Battlecon and I don't think Exceed can supplant Yomi in my collection.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Ryuutama's supposed to be shipping soon. Can't wait until my copies get here.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The people who made March of the Ants just launched a new game, Little Pig, which at a cursory glane is quite a bit different from the Ant game

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The concept of "Weiss Schwarz, but a fighting LCG" is potentially interesting, if they can get characters that anyone gives a poo poo about instead of stuff with garbage character design that no one's ever heard of. It's very much not likely to ever get to that point, though.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 22, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

NTRabbit posted:

The people who made March of the Ants just launched a new game, Little Pig, which at a cursory glane is quite a bit different from the Ant game

March of the Ants was seriously one of my biggest surprises (the good kind), since it's a really good, really streamlined 4xish game that most of the people in my group preferred over Eclipse (if there is a degenerate strategy, I haven't found it yet). Also, really unique theme. I'm looking forward to the expansion that they mentioned in their KS update, even if it's just a bunch more stuff.

Little Pig reminds me of Ladies and Gentleman a bit, at least the "pick a place where you think other people aren't going" part. It's probably a bit too light for my tastes, but I just wanted to pimp out March of the Ants some more.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wrath of the Autarch is a sort of RPG/board game hybrid about kingdom building, like Kingdom but crunchier. It seems to be sort of Fate-based.

Full disclosure here, I've done playtests for this one at Origins as part of Indie Games On Demand, and mined its general structure for use in structuring several elements of my own Fate games.

It's... only very loosely like Kingdom. Kingdom is a variant on Microscope with event-driven gameplay and people with particular roles in shaping the decisions people make about the kingdom.

It's more like a mission-based Fate game, where you've got an overarching kingdom with its own stats and benefits, much like Tesladyne in Atomic Robo, but the gameplay is very structured and you're generally under hard time pressure, and one of your goals is to clear yourself enough space to fit in a few rolls that will rack up benefits for the kingdom beyond just the fact of completing the mission. I'd say if you're interested in Fate it's worth getting the PDF just so you have mechanics to mine for your own use.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The concept of "Weiss Schwarz, but a fighting LCG" is potentially interesting, if they can get characters that anyone gives a poo poo about instead of stuff with garbage character design that no one's ever heard of. It's very much not likely to ever get to that point, though.

Yeah, without Love Live characters I don't give a poo poo

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm still waiting on Pixel Tactics, damnit.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

LordAba posted:

I'm still waiting on Pixel Tactics, damnit.

So happy that I didn't pledge to this. Apparently July has turned into December, maybe January.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Sounds like.a Level 99 kickstarter.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Level 99's fully shipped I think 7 Kickstarters at this point. They've all been months late, but I don't think anyone would say they weren't high quality products, nor have I heard anyone complain they didn't get what they were entitled. So there's that, at least.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Part of the reason the Kickstarter is so long is apparently they're hoping to make an announcement in that regard. Exceed is a good game from what I've played of it, but it does run into the issue that most folks haven't played BattleCON to its full extent as it is. I'm torn myself mainly just because I'm hitting some level of Level99 kickstarter saturation - I just backed BattleCON Online pretty hard, but I put it on my watchlist to figure out when it comes closer to being due.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Everything I've seen about Exceed looks great by itself, but I'm 100% certain that if I had BattleCON and Exceed, I wouldn't be playing both, and that's a problem.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

InShaneee posted:

Everything I've seen about Exceed looks great by itself, but I'm 100% certain that if I had BattleCON and Exceed, I wouldn't be playing both, and that's a problem.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. If Exceed can land some popular licenses, this will naturally change since the draw of Exceed over BattleCON is getting to play a card fighting game with characters you like, but until then it's pretty pointless.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Part of the reason the Kickstarter is so long is apparently they're hoping to make an announcement in that regard.

Fingers crossed that's the case, but I doubt they'll land anything big, otherwise they could have just waited until after securing the rights. :(

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Fingers crossed that's the case, but I doubt they'll land anything big, otherwise they could have just waited until after securing the rights. :(

Well, Exceed has been in the works for well over a year with the Red Horizon license all along, so it's been waiting awhile. This might be so they can prove the viability of the product for licensing, but I can't say for certain. Really, Red Horizon relies more on Genzoman's popularity more than anything else, though his art style is going to have more mixed reactions here in goonland.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'm in a weird spot because I haven't bought into BattleCON yet, but it's high up on my list for the next game to pick up. I have some of the other L99 games (Noir/Pixel Tactics/SellSwords), so I feel like I should get BattleCON to stay in-universe, but I'm not particularly invested in the characters or anything, so I might just buy in to Exceed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of dice, Q-Workshop just launched a project for a solid metal dice set. Of course, the problem with solid metal dice is that they're expensive as hell ($70 for a complete set).

They're also usually difficult to read at a glance, and will ding the poo poo out of the finish of many tables.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

thespaceinvader posted:

They're also usually difficult to read at a glance, and will ding the poo poo out of the finish of many tables.

Awww, man I rolled a lower case "r" I needed a 4+

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

Awww, man I rolled a lower case "r" I needed a 4+

That's a P, actually.

Seriously, though, some metal dice look pretty neat. But they're always too expensive for me to justify for something I'd never use, due to the possibility of damaging the table/other things. And a Pathfinder branded set is definitely not something I'm interested in.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Maybe I'm missing something but battlecon is really boring. I kickstarted it and got my copy and played it a few times with different people and everyone was really "meh" on it and didn't want to waste time getting more into it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't buy dice for tabletop gaming that can't be read from across the table. It means they're all boring solid colors, but it also means I can tell novice gamers "roll the green one."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

They're also usually difficult to read at a glance

Q-Workshop dice in a nutshell.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Q-Workshop dice in a nutshell.

GIS confirms this statement as true.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but battlecon is really boring. I kickstarted it and got my copy and played it a few times with different people and everyone was really "meh" on it and didn't want to waste time getting more into it.

Do you like fighting games, y/n

If no, it might not be your bag.
If yes, it might be your bag.

No biggie. I happen to like it a lot, and it is more than the surface level if you have a group that is willing to spend time on it. That's when the bluffing aspect comes into play more. Otherwise with only a couple of games it is still more about learning the game in general and your character in particular.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LordAba posted:

Do you like fighting games, y/n

If no, it might not be your bag.
If yes, it might be your bag.

No biggie. I happen to like it a lot, and it is more than the surface level if you have a group that is willing to spend time on it. That's when the bluffing aspect comes into play more. Otherwise with only a couple of games it is still more about learning the game in general and your character in particular.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

homullus posted:

I don't buy dice for tabletop gaming that can't be read from across the table. It means they're all boring solid colors, but it also means I can tell novice gamers "roll the green one."
This is the only "special" die that isn't a plain plastic D# that I own. I got it using points so it didn't cost me anything but it's a neat gimmicky thing, and gigantic.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/deaa/

• Locked thread