Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Apparently demo firing off a C4 pack and a stick of dynamite in immediate succession passes a damage threshold that stuns fleshpounds. Not staggers but stuns as in he'll stop and stand still and do a wobbly animation for a few seconds. I haven't tried it myself but the demo who showed it to me was in the high teen levels IIRC and it worked in 6-man Suicidal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

She Bangs the Drums posted:

you can usually get a read on pubs behavior in the first couple waves. You gotta know by the time Scrakes show up they are gonna gently caress you over or not.
For me it's usually the point when you realize there are way more things to shoot and no one else shooting, i.e. everyone else is dead and it's just you left.
It's me, I'm the pub

For me, it's usually their behavior re: the health of other people.

Are they using the syringe on each other when they can to heal people who are low?
Are they buying and using the medic pistol?
Do we have a competent medic?
Are people actually looking around and helping people who get mobbed/trapped in a corner?

If the answer to those things is all "no", you're going to wipe by wave 8 or so.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I have an easier barometer: First time I go down to 80 or so, I will call out on voice "This is Coolguy: I need healing."

No response? Type it out in text.

Still no response? We're hosed when the game starts getting serious.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Man I tried Bling Collection on solo and that poo poo got tedious really quick.
boring and frustrating as gently caress

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

I have an easier barometer: First time I go down to 80 or so, I will call out on voice "This is Coolguy: I need healing."

No response? Type it out in text.

Still no response? We're hosed when the game starts getting serious.

I use something similar. "Anyone have spare dosh so I can get X weapon?".

Then when I see half the team with over 1k who refuses to lend even 100, I already know we're hosed.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Man I tried Bling Collection on solo and that poo poo got tedious really quick.
boring and frustrating as gently caress

Do you even get anything for it?

vvv Ugh.

brocretin fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 20, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

a cheevo

DikFaic
Dec 31, 2004

ponzicar posted:

So if the matchmaker puts you into a game with a custom map, the map download box pops up with an "OK" button that closes the window for about half a second before it pops up again and continues the download. I think it should have a cancel button, just in case you don't want to wait for all 200 megabytes of Weed_Farm_v2 to download.
You can open console and type disconnect.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'd like to try out some custom maps. What are some good ones

Scrakes on Plane is my solo zerker fun time map so don't say it

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

verbal enema posted:

I'd like to try out some custom maps. What are some good ones

Scrakes on Plane is my solo zerker fun time map so don't say it

BloodBank is good. GoldenEye Bunker is amusing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Any good tips on Zerking? Especially w/r/t parrying, and especially against the big zeds.

Also do people generally prefer the Eviscerator or the Pulverizer? I really dislike being limited by fuel/ammo on the Evis

vvv I figured as much, the explosion on the heavy swing is such an amazing trash cleaner

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 20, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

Any good tips on Zerking? Especially w/r/t parrying, and especially against the big zeds.

Also do people generally prefer the Eviscerator or the Pulverizer? I really dislike being limited by fuel/ammo on the Evis

Pulverizer is better in pretty much every way.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, even though you now can parry with the Eviscerator, the Pulverizer delivers more oomph and can help you a ton when taking down big guys. I guess the Eviscerator is there if you need to relegate the Zerker to trash cleaning duty, but at this point a server with at least a firebug who can take care of that is really rare.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Away all Goats posted:

Zweihander > Pulverizer > Eviscerator

IMO, parrying is best for leading a Scrake away from the rest of the group in scenarios where there are multiple Scrakes and you want to be able to take them on individually. If you're level 20 and have the right skill, you can also parry and then land a couple heavy attacks on a Scrakes head to send it the ground for a few seconds. If your group has a Firebug with a Microwave Gun, the Scrake probably isn't getting back up.

Pounds seem a lot harder to parry than Scrakes, but they can still get knocked to the ground, so just aim heavy attacks at their head.

As a Zerk, you can pretty much solo any enemy, but that doesn't mean that you should. If it's necessary or convenient, sure, but if the whole group is around, your job is mostly to tank the aggro while the rest of the team exploits the enemy's weakness. You're also the team bank. If you take a Zwei or Pulv, you should generate boatloads of cash that you do not need. Give it to your teammates so that they can get what they need faster.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

LuciferMorningstar posted:

BloodBank is good. GoldenEye Bunker is amusing.

early versions of blood bank (before they opened up the back) are better than newer ones, IMO

there's also that one ... Frost? It has a snowman dual wielding pistols. It's good.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Zweihander > Pulverizer > Eviscerator

IMO, parrying is best for leading a Scrake away from the rest of the group in scenarios where there are multiple Scrakes and you want to be able to take them on individually. If you're level 20 and have the right skill, you can also parry and then land a couple heavy attacks on a Scrakes head to send it the ground for a few seconds. If your group has a Firebug with a Microwave Gun, the Scrake probably isn't getting back up.

Pounds seem a lot harder to parry than Scrakes, but they can still get knocked to the ground, so just aim heavy attacks at their head.

As a Zerk, you can pretty much solo any enemy, but that doesn't mean that you should. If it's necessary or convenient, sure, but if the whole group is around, your job is mostly to tank the aggro while the rest of the team exploits the enemy's weakness. You're also the team bank. If you take a Zwei or Pulv, you should generate boatloads of cash that you do not need. Give it to your teammates so that they can get what they need faster.

Zwei is really good and fun but if your teammates don't need the extra cash you're generating, feel free to pick up a Pulverizer too for Fleshpound use. The explosive heavy attack on that does a lot more damage than poking the FP with a Zwei a bunch, although that's still a perfectly good option. It's also better at clearing grouped-up Zeds in one swing, but the Zwei's versatility and non-explosive damage is preferable in most other instances. I usually sell off the Pulverizer on the Hans wave for the extra movement speed.

Psion: Frozen, I think? It's got a helipad and a cafeteria and stuff

e: gently caress it more gifs

ClonedPickle fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 21, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
firebug is the most giffable class, it's true.
this makes sense
don't mind me
gooood. goooooooooooood.

also I tried splash over range for Firebug at 20 and I like this - splash is good. Didn't do much of anything to the trench gun but I could see some effect with the C&B and definitely with the micro. It's actually a good choice - both range and splash are good. Good class, good balance.

That second gif, by the way, demonstrates a real pet peeve of mine with demo. You will note I fired a trench round, it triggered zed time, and the zed explosion perk went off. This is fun, good, and as it should be given how finicky zed time can be. A demo firing a weapon which triggers zed time does not get their zed time perk to proc. Please fix that.

for anyone who's datamined Hans: is his third stage like 70% of his hp or something? It really doesn't feel like 1/3 at all.

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 21, 2015

Otto Quasar
May 11, 2015
Has anyone else been having technical problems ever since the last patch? Because it broke the lighting in my game. I'm hoping it's the patch, because it's either that or my graphics card.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I want to practice my melee parries against Scrakes and Fleshpounds. Is there some console command list I can use in singleplayer to spawn them and disable regular waves?

Kinda hard to practice in multiplayer when people keep blowing them up :argh:

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 21, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

I want to practice my melee parries against Scrakes and Fleshpounds. Is there some console command list I can use in singleplayer to spawn them and disable regular waves?

Kinda hard to practice in multiplayer when people keep blowing them up :argh:

Check this. Seems like you could work something out.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
one complaint about firebug. It makes poo poo seriously difficult for a commando., between the flame effects
and the panic response., its super hard to pop heads.
That is all

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I dunno, just don't try to compete too hard against a firebug for trash? I see loads of pubbie commandos dump too much ammo into trash and not enough into the big guys, especially when theres a firebug toasting clots/crawlers with their dirt cheap ammo.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

one complaint about firebug. It makes poo poo seriously difficult for a commando., between the flame effects
and the panic response., its super hard to pop heads.
That is all

For the trash end make a note to kill Gorefast. Gorefasts seem to give zero fucks about being on fire and will still try run up and stab people (and if they don't give a poo poo they are on fire, clearly that is less panic animations for you to deal with). So even if those are on fire, it's less "wasted" ammo helping to put those down.

Similarly, if there are NO firebugs on the team, make a note to sweep up crawlers because they are a pain in the rear end for zerkers and a waste of shotgun shells.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 21, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Commandos seem to excel at clearing middle zeds. They aren't as good as FB/Demo for Scrakes/FP, they aren't as good as FB or Support for trash, and they can't tank like a Berserker, but they do really well against Bloats, Gorefasts, Husks, and Sirens. If SWAT has the same niche but more defensively, I'll be happy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It pisses me off how the game likes to matchmake me into custom map servers even though I always set Server Type to Standard. I end up having to shut the game down in task manager cause I'm not waiting for the download to finish just to leave and search for a new game.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Section Z posted:

Similarly, if there are NO firebugs on the team, make a note to sweep up crawlers because they are a pain in the rear end for zerkers and a waste of shotgun shells.

On the other hand, a support making good use of crouching and terrain can wipe a whole cluster with a single shell, reducing the waste.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Section Z posted:

For the trash end make a note to kill Gorefast. Gorefasts seem to give zero fucks about being on fire and will still try run up and stab people (and if they don't give a poo poo they are on fire, clearly that is less panic animations for you to deal with). So even if those are on fire, it's less "wasted" ammo helping to put those down.

The lvl 10 firebug ability heat wave sorts gorefasts out real quick though, they get the stumble and are usually dead from the dot before they are back in swinging action.

It's also surprisingly effective at giving scrakes and FPs a bit of a stumble so you can get out of their way.

Slowly creeping towards lvl 15 Demo and I really hope the siren-resistant explosives makes life easier - trying to time GL shots between screams when there's more than one siren ambling about is tricky and sometimes the grenades get eaten anyway because the scream is still going but the animation has stopped.

Been getting some good mileage out of Demo the last week or so though, used to be dead last or second to last but now I'm usually top 3 but that's on Hard, not feeling ready for suicidal yet tbh.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Martout posted:

The lvl 10 firebug ability heat wave sorts gorefasts out real quick though, they get the stumble and are usually dead from the dot before they are back in swinging action.

It's also surprisingly effective at giving scrakes and FPs a bit of a stumble so you can get out of their way.

Slowly creeping towards lvl 15 Demo and I really hope the siren-resistant explosives makes life easier - trying to time GL shots between screams when there's more than one siren ambling about is tricky and sometimes the grenades get eaten anyway because the scream is still going but the animation has stopped.

Been getting some good mileage out of Demo the last week or so though, used to be dead last or second to last but now I'm usually top 3 but that's on Hard, not feeling ready for suicidal yet tbh.

The level 15 skill is really good. It's basically a necessity given that Sirens are fairly common. Once it gets off the ground, Demo is pretty good. But without levels and the RPG, it's very lackluster.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

This may simple be confirmation bias and not having a buddy commando that can call out how much damage I've actually done, but I've always felt the best use of RPGs is to shoot it into a massive group of trash around an FP or Scrake to clear it out so my pubbie team can focus on them better. I've put multiple rockets into a Fleshpound's weakspot before and it just never feels like it's doing a ton of damage. They don't stagger or anything, and C4 is kind of tough to throw on them if they decide to focus on you, mostly cause you aren't getting away from them fast enough to not blow yourself up.

I'm pretty sure I'm just crazy, but that's kind of what it feels like. I'd rather toss a rocket into a big group with the big bad as the main target, maybe throw a stick of dynamite and then just focus on keeping whoever is tanking the fleshpound/scrake at fullish health with my medic pistol.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zomborgon posted:

On the other hand, a support making good use of crouching and terrain can wipe a whole cluster with a single shell, reducing the waste.

Just because you CAN, doesn't make it any less annoying. Granted, 9mm wrecks crawlers two shots to the anywhere. But that's still stopping to pull out a 9mm just to shoot trash when there's a mix of zeds, and your commandos are shooting clots 200 feet away from crossing the Paris car barricades telling you "LOL, just duck and shoot/use your 9mm bro". Plus if you are stopping to duck shoot, that means you are only tickling the shins of upright enemies mixed in the crowd.

See also, being "helpfully" informed that the pulverizer kills crawlers in one basic combo attack while you are balls deep in them. Why yes, they die easy if you hit them, doesn't make it any less of a bitch.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

It pisses me off how the game likes to matchmake me into custom map servers even though I always set Server Type to Standard. I end up having to shut the game down in task manager cause I'm not waiting for the download to finish just to leave and search for a new game.

Do Not Use Matchmaking

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Jack Trades posted:

There's an outstanding task to fix this in the UI but in the mean time just open your console with ` and type disconnect rather than shutting it down in the task manager.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ruggington posted:

Do Not Use Matchmaking

I like getting into games just as they're starting and matchmaking is terrible at this, I think I've used it maybe two or three times ever.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I can't really think of a game with both a browser and matchmaking where the browser isn't way better.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Drakes posted:

I dunno, just don't try to compete too hard against a firebug for trash? I see loads of pubbie commandos dump too much ammo into trash and not enough into the big guys, especially when theres a firebug toasting clots/crawlers with their dirt cheap ammo.

Yeah im a head popper Commando. First thing I do is switch my guns to single shot. Im used to Commando being the trash cleaner on a team from KF1 days.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I can't really think of a game with both a browser and matchmaking where the browser isn't way better.

I like matchmaking a lot in TF2 :shrug:

Doesn't bother me to drop into a game, shoot the mans for ten minutes, then change servers when the map rotates to something stupid. Otoh this is also because everyone and their pet rear end in a top hat has some idiotic custom server in TF2 for surfing or zombie survival or something and I don't enjoy wading through ten thousand custom servers when I just want to go play some Payload or something.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

There's an option for new games only in the matchmaker and the worst I've ever seen in that is midway through the first wave, which is Acceptable

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
The only server that exists for me right now is Sheepkf on HOE where I have a level 95 firebug.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
I did a crazy and went with the old flamethrower instead of Microwave gun so i could carry a medic pistol and I love it.
Much more effective than CnB and it seems like the pools of fire burn longer. I like leaving traps for ZEDs to walk through.

Does it still have any issues? I heard it can lag people out?

She Bangs the Drums fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Commandos seem to excel at clearing middle zeds. They aren't as good as FB/Demo for Scrakes/FP, they aren't as good as FB or Support for trash, and they can't tank like a Berserker, but they do really well against Bloats, Gorefasts, Husks, and Sirens. If SWAT has the same niche but more defensively, I'll be happy.

Yeah, I actually wouldn't mind if Commando became more focused on taking down middle tier Zeds more effectively, but there might be crossover issues with Sharpshooter. I kind of want a skill choice between SLAP or JHP, where SLAP doubles a Commandos penetration with class weapons and JHP behaves like an EMP grenade, staggering and temp disabling special abilities for Zeds. JHP would have the knock on affect of being decent vs Scrakes and Fleshpounds though, so the overall chance should be low (like 20%?) to prevent a Commando from stunlocking or somesuch. I've tried Impact, was not impressed with Impact.

I'd also like to see some kind of door HP buff mechanic to Support, as well a skill or passive which enables door welded by a Support to resist being permanently removed. Like, 4% weld HP per level and doors resist destruction from everything except Scrakes, Fleshpounds, and future Zeds at their tier or higher.