Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Help Im Alive posted:

Me too but people are dumb and tried to play XIII using only Commando/Ravager/auto battle and wondered why battles were taking forever

That was the most frustrating criticism of that game. The people complaining about there being too many tutorials probably weren't reading them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
so are the cutscenes in FFX PS4 still the original fmvs they could only barely improve without remaking them?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That was the most frustrating criticism of that game. The people complaining about there being too many tutorials probably weren't reading them.

you have a new entry in your datalog

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Does the game ever tell you that you get a full ATB recharge after 12 seconds? After I read that here and returned to the game, it finally clicked.

There's also no reason why the first paradigm shift of a battle takes so much longer. Some people prefer to start a battle in the wrong paradigm and switch immediately so it doesn't cause a problem later.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
We can all agree that FFXIII had questionable design decisions throughout. What we can't blame it for was having a boss cast Doom on your characters if you took fifteen (!) minutes on a story boss, and yet we saw people bitch about that, saying the game played itself and was so braindead that you could stay in Com/Rav/Med the whole time and what the gently caress this boss cast Doom on me and I can't kill it, who designed this poo poo

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

We can all agree that FFXIII had questionable design decisions throughout. What we can't blame it for was having a boss cast Doom on your characters if you took fifteen (!) minutes on a story boss, and yet we saw people bitch about that, saying the game played itself and was so braindead that you could stay in Com/Rav/Med the whole time and what the gently caress this boss cast Doom on me and I can't kill it, who designed this poo poo

They could have had lots of popup messages saying HEY IF YOU KEEP GETTING BAD RANKINGS ON FIGHTS YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING VERY WRONG and that still wouldn't help every case.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i'm not sure how the ratings work in XIII cuz sometimes i'd do the same thing as a 5 star fight and get 3 stars.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
If you're going to make a game where you do nothing but switch between autobattle scripts then don't make all the animations so loving long and boring

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Srice posted:

They could have had lots of popup messages saying HEY IF YOU KEEP GETTING BAD RANKINGS ON FIGHTS YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING VERY WRONG and that still wouldn't help every case.

It could have done with a bit more feedback on rankings though since as far as I remember it didn't bother telling you anywhere what they were based on.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

In Training posted:

The other weapons are also hold square though, just with different animation lengths.

Did you also spice things up with the weapon's special attacks, and strategically select which one to use based on the circumstances? I rarely found myself just "holding square" because I was frequently teleporting around and using special moves and generally looking flashy.

Also, the "limit break" mode or whatever it was called that you could activate, especially once you found all the swords, was pretty sweet.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

corn in the bible posted:

If you're going to make a game where you do nothing but switch between autobattle scripts then don't make all the animations so loving long and boring

This is where I stood. FFXIII is boring. The fights do take long even though I know what I'm doing. And the animations get pretty old after a while. I finally tapped out in the big open field because I'm dumb and figured "Well if it's open, I'd better do EVERYTHING" before I continue on. I have no idea how much time you're meant to spend there before you move on and I had no reason to go back.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

This is where I stood. FFXIII is boring. The fights do take long even though I know what I'm doing. And the animations get pretty old after a while. I finally tapped out in the big open field because I'm dumb and figured "Well if it's open, I'd better do EVERYTHING" before I continue on. I have no idea how much time you're meant to spend there before you move on and I had no reason to go back.

Gran Pulse is basically a much bigger, prettier corridor on your first way though. A ton of areas are full of enemies that are all way out of your league and there's a very rigid path you need to follow to get through to the next part of the game.

And even then all the sidequests are just more monster hunts so it's still barely worth it. FFXIII was the wooooorst

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The FFXV demo was really good, most of my complaints were just that I wanted more on top of that base in terms of options and weapons and it seems like we're gonna get that so I'm good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FFXIII is a top 3 FF for me. I love it

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

In Training posted:

FFXIII is a top 3 FF for me. I love it

pretty sure to this very day, 13 and 13-2 are still the best-selling PS3 games in japan ever

everything else in their top sellers list is nintendo or dragon quest

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The most annoying thing about FFXIII imo is that the auto-battle script mixes in a melee attack and then a ranged attack so it takes a lot longer to complete your attack queue.

That being said, you easily fix this by choosing all melee or all ranged and then using the repeat option and it's probably a good thing that the game encourages you to not be lazy initially by being annoying.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
IIRC there are unexplained synergy bonuses to damage and/or chain that made it better to alternate like the auto picker does.

You are never told any of the vital bits that you should probably know about the combat but I still love 13.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Possibly, but that's probably entirely nullified by the fact that it takes considerably longer to perform your action bar. More time spent on one bar means you're not progressing to your next as quickly. It's probably better to get through your bars ASAP to maximise DPS that way, rather than taking whatever damage buff you get from that. I don't recally seeing much of a difference so I'm assuming it's slight.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Excels posted:

so are the cutscenes in FFX PS4 still the original fmvs they could only barely improve without remaking them?

you have a new entry in your datalog

The cutscenes looks pretty nice to me, definitely not as crappy as raw 480p video scaled up to 1080p would normally look. They might have had high-res renders on tape somewhere that they scaled down for the PS2, who knows.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So I finished up the platinum for Final Fantasy X yesterday and I have to say that I remembered the whole climax with Tidus and Jecht being much better than it actually was.

Was pretty disappointing actually and in my opinion kind of drags the rest of the ending down with it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would've preferred another phase to the Jecht fight than Yu Yevon spending 20 minutes possessing Aeons, is my opinion about the ending.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Meridian posted:

So I finished up the platinum for Final Fantasy X yesterday and I have to say that I remembered the whole climax with Tidus and Jecht being much better than it actually was.

Was pretty disappointing actually and in my opinion kind of drags the rest of the ending down with it.

thematically i get what they were going for with yu yevon and the possession of the Aons, but from a gameplay standpoint it's not just not very hype compared to Braska's Final Aeon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In my opinion it was fun to one shot the final boss because I had a bunch of ultimate weapons and an insanely op sphere grid from doing side content

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Excels posted:

thematically i get what they were going for with yu yevon and the possession of the Aons, but from a gameplay standpoint it's not just not very hype compared to Braska's Final Aeon.

Yeah, I definitely agree with that. I was talking more about the scene prior to Braska's Final Aeon. Your party finally makes it, Tidus is finally able to confront his father after a harrowing journey and presumably some sort of development as a person.

We have even seen segments of Jecht's own journey and seen how he has matured. In light of this you would expect that the two of them would see each other differently now. Especially Tidus and his feelings toward Jecht.

Instead Tidus tells Jecht that he hates him twice, Jecht calls Tidus a bitch and then bossfight.

What.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Meridian posted:

Instead Tidus tells Jecht that he hates him twice, Jecht calls Tidus a bitch and then bossfight.

What.

I'm watching the scene now, that's not what you're describing at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgJurSb7llY

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Sure, they both grew up in their own adventures but they never interacted during those times. They probably worked up in their head all the things they would do or say when they finally met again but when you are staring that person face-to-face all that probably melts away pretty quickly with anxiety. What happens when that occurs is they just defaulted back to what was comfortable and what they knew. Which was to call dad a stupid bitch and son a whiny kid. I think they both understood underneath that they couldn't bring themselves to say what they really wanted. Tidus even says "Don't worry, I'll make it quick", implying he wanted to end Jecht's misery rather than just punch him in the balls for revenge.

Basically, the two of them were just really horrible at conveying emotions to each other and communicating and all the character growth in the world didn't help when they finally saw each other again in the moment.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Tae posted:

I'm watching the scene now, that's not what you're describing at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgJurSb7llY

That is right, the crying comment is after you win the fight and then Tidus turns around and says he is glad Jecht is his dad.

Embellishment aside I was disappointed that Tidus didn't really seem to grow up, I guess.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Meridian posted:

That is right, the crying comment is after you win the fight and then Tidus turns around and says he is glad Jecht is his dad.

Embellishment aside I was disappointed that Tidus didn't really seem to grow up, I guess.

I don't understand if you don't get that Tidus literally does not hate his dad still. If Tidus never grew, he would still actually hate his dad and call him a murderer of sorts for his mom.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Tae posted:

I don't understand if you don't get that Tidus literally does not hate his dad still. If Tidus never grew, he would still actually hate his dad and call him a murderer of sorts for his mom.

I do understand it, but I don't think that the scene was done particularly well. That is all I am saying. That is just me though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Meridian posted:

What.

It's a thing called "Emotional Subtext"

What they were really saying was different then the literal words they used, and both of them knew it.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Dr Pepper posted:

It's a thing called "Emotional Subtext"

What they were really saying was different then the literal words they used, and both of them knew it.

There is no need to be condescending, I am aware of what they were going for.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hironobu Sakaguchi is working with Square Enix again....sort of.

Crossover between Terra Battle and Mobius Final Fantasy for you japanese phone people.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

the best thing 13-2 did was speed up the paradigm shifting

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
All phone games are bad, it's such a shame that all these great former JRPG devs now make lovely phones games.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Meridian posted:

Tidus was under no obligation to forgive Jecht for being such a lovely father to him. He did, but just because he saw Jecht change doesn't mean he has to forgive him.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Momomo posted:

Tidus was under no obligation to forgive Jecht for being such a lovely father to him. He did, but just because he saw Jecht change doesn't mean he has to forgive him.

Definitely not. My hang up is that there seemed to be a lot of different directions they could have gone with the conclusion of that arc and what they went with fell a bit flat in my opinion.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
FF10 will always be burned into my memory as No gently caress You Dad because the first thing I ever saw of it was the exchange in question with no context whatsoever.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

FF10 will always be burned into my memory as No gently caress You Dad because the first thing I ever saw of it was the exchange in question with no context whatsoever.

Even with context not much changes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Meridian posted:

Even with context not much changes.

Didn't you just have series of exchanges with several posters talking about how actually it does change with context.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's a lot of good phone games and most snes style RPGs are no different on the phone over a handheld. Sorry you're prejudiced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

#RPGLivesMatter