Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I'm already adorable, I don't need reassurance!

Tremendous Taste posted:

If another thread is just thrown up without the support of the community it's going to inevitably fail, which is why it's actually fruitful to discuss it and hash out positions

I didn't like Lumpen's passive-aggression at all but I do agree with him that if the thread fails, it fails. But I'll post my off-topic chat poo poo in this thread and also participate in on-topic discussions there! I like mafia and I don't think it would be too hard to do both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
If we want to attract verbose posters someone just run a game wherein players have to write a 1000 word essay on why they should be allowed to play the game in order to register.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm a very good judge of character. So watch out

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

also this supposed silly/super serious dichotomy isn't necessary, you can actually talk about mafia while being relaxed and not have 100 pages of buzzfeed/dinner chat

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

BottleKnight posted:

I didn't like Lumpen's passive-aggression at all but I do agree with him that if the thread fails, it fails. But I'll post my off-topic chat poo poo in this thread and also participate in on-topic discussions there! I like mafia and I don't think it would be too hard to do both.

do you like my straw man taste? If you don't agree with me then you actually don't like mafia!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It sucks to have a dead mom but it owns being able to bring it up in response to your mom jokes

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asiina posted:

Then once again, make a mafia theory thread that is just for mafia theory. I think policing threads for content is terrible in principle, leads to a whole bunch of inane "you posted this in the wrong thread" discussions, and is never going to be worth the effort.

If you think differently then prove me wrong. Make your thread. I will update the OP with a link to it and say that it is the thread for serious mafia theory discussion, and this thread is more casual, and we'll see how it goes.

Which is why forums only have one thread ever. Can't possibly have multiple threads with some guidelines and participant crossover. :v:

Why do you think we're going all 1984 with two threads?

If we end up splitting would you be okay rewriting OPs to better reflect the contents?

-Mafia Theory thread gets SA Mafia information, basic Mafia information, guides for Votefinder and modding, links to all the game related stuff (Votefinder, new game thread, supplementary material)
-Mafia Crew thread gets focuses on community projects, other forum games (Awful Survivor, Be a Raccoon), links to all the fun extra stuff like (Plug.dj, etc)

Because if it's really just "We're not going to change anything here but you go make your thread copying features we already have" instead of a true split, we're really not doing what we can to make sure it succeeds. There will be awkward wrong-thread posting when the OPs aren't clear for their thread's purpose. Is that something you're willing to change or are you unwilling to give it the chance?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

You know what the best part about this thread is? The fact that it gets 100 posts a second and I don't even need to post to keep it at that level yet the moment those same posters are in a game, good loving luck.

I'm actually terrible at mafia.

Don't tell though. It's a secret.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

It sucks to have a dead mom but it owns being able to bring it up in response to your mom jokes

Mom jokes are the most harmless jokes ever until the mom is dead

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

do you like my straw man taste? If you don't agree with me then you actually don't like mafia!

The way I feel about mafia is pretty close to the way I feel about the South

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tremendous Taste posted:

Good food and good music?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Tremendous Taste posted:

You abhor its cultural racism?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Tremendous Taste posted:

This thread is so anti south its crazy

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Look Under The Rock posted:

Quote this line and I'll tell you why I think you're adorable.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

You abhor its cultural racism?

I abhor when people think the south has cultural racism.

There's plenty of super racist rednecks from upstate new york where I am from.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

Which is why forums only have one thread ever. Can't possibly have multiple threads with some guidelines and participant crossover. :v:

Except we're not the entire forum community. We're a small subcommunity within the larger Trad Games community within Games within SA. If we had our own forum then yes there would be the dinner thread and the what is your favourite colour thread and Ecco's roommate blog. If we want to make that jump (which I don't think anyone does, I certainly don't) then we can start separating out topics. As long as we stay here though, I don't think trying to divide things up is particularly fruitful.

quote:

If we end up splitting would you be okay rewriting OPs to better reflect the contents?

-Mafia Theory thread gets SA Mafia information, basic Mafia information, guides for Votefinder and modding, links to all the game related stuff (Votefinder, new game thread, supplementary material)
-Mafia Crew thread gets focuses on community projects, other forum games (Awful Survivor, Be a Raccoon), links to all the fun extra stuff like (Plug.dj, etc)

Because if it's really just "We're not going to change anything here but you go make your thread copying features we already have" instead of a true split, we're really not doing what we can to make sure it succeeds. There will be awkward wrong-thread posting when the OPs aren't clear for their thread's purpose. Is that something you're willing to change or are you unwilling to give it the chance?

I've already said, I have no interest in policing a thread for what is or is not on topic. You are the one who is saying that your mafia theory needs (and the needs of those you anonymously represent) are not being met in this thread, then go meet them. I think it's a bad idea and a waste of time so I'm not personally going to be enforcing it.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CapitalistPig posted:

Dixie flag is inextricably tied to racism my friend and I'm sorry if you don't realize that at the very least :(

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I think I might be the only one here who was both in the circlejerk thread and the discussion thread, and while the discussion thread was meaner and worse overall (some people got pretty drat nasty) during the schism a lot of people acted pretty poorly.

I'd probably be pro a chill out thread but honestly I don't have much of aa strong opinion as long as everybody is civil.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Oh gosh Keane, pretty much everything about you is adorable, but if I have to narrow it down, I guess I'd say that you have an adorably brilliant smile and your charm is swoonworthy and therefore adorable.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

CapitalistPig posted:

Qft

Where you from piggo

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Dixie flag is inextricably tied to racism my friend and I'm sorry if you don't realize that at the very least :(

Sure a dead flag that represents a band of rebels may or may not have been tied to racist things, but that doesn't mean southern culture itself is racist inherently.

I'm sorry if you don't realize that at the very least.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Tremendous Taste posted:

Qft

Where you from piggo

I was born and lived the first 11 years of my life in Rochester.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Paging Busb: Soldiers flavor should be Circlejerkers vs Theorists

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey guys lemme tell you what kept me in the mafia community after I joined:

- I liked mafia and the people
- after leaving for a while Diqnol personally pmed me to ask if I was ok
- playing awful survivor made me feel more genuinely connected to the people here

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

I think I might be the only one here who was both in the circlejerk thread and the discussion thread, and while the discussion thread was meaner and worse overall (some people got pretty drat nasty) during the schism a lot of people acted pretty poorly.

I'd probably be pro a chill out thread but honestly I don't have much of aa strong opinion as long as everybody is civil.

I was in both as well idiot boy

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Hey guys lemme tell you what kept me in the mafia community after I joined:

- I liked mafia and the people
- after leaving for a while Diqnol personally pmed me to ask if I was ok
- playing awful survivor made me feel more genuinely connected to the people here

Yeah let's just be real here and say that John Cena is the greatest recruitment tool we have.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think we should have 1 thread for chit chat, 1 for mafia talk and 1 for shank 2 discussion

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CapitalistPig posted:

Sure a dead flag that represents a band of rebels may or may not have been tied to racist things, but that doesn't mean southern culture itself is racist inherently.

I'm sorry if you don't realize that at the very least.

Dixie flag is a part of modern southern culture

I don't actually have any interest in continuing this discussion however because it's needlessly polarizing and everyone is an individual anyway so broadly talking about an area's culture isn't important to me

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

You're being condescending when in reality you're just being dumb.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

I was in both as well idiot boy

That's right! You were. I remember the Mickey avatar.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

I don't actually have any interest in continuing this discussion however because it's needlessly polarizing and everyone is an individual anyway so broadly talking about an area's culture isn't important to me

You don't live in the south you live in philly. The Dixie flag don't mean jack poo poo

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

Yeah let's just be real here and say that John Cena is the greatest recruitment tool we have.

My favourite season was the fl one personally :v:

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Hey you started it.

Magnus Gallant posted:

You're being condescending when in reality you're just being dumb.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

CapitalistPig posted:

I was born and lived the first 11 years of my life in Rochester.

Wny bros :respek:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

In other news, in light of certain events in the NFL, I have decided I am now rooting heavily for the Flyers and have eschewed other sports.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

My favourite season was the fl one personally :v:

Yeah, I know Prop and FL ran seasons, but they started because of Cena as well, so he's really the root of it all.

But then I guess Token Female and/or mills ran the first AS season (depending on who you talk to).

So really mills is the hero of mafia.

Let's all take a moment and think about that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Look Under The Rock posted:

Quote this line and I'll tell you why I think you're adorable.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

:respek:

Some of my favorite childhood memories were going to Roseland and Seabreeze.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Rarity is one of my favorite words. It is adorable word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asiina posted:

Except we're not the entire forum community. We're a small subcommunity within the larger Trad Games community within Games within SA. If we had our own forum then yes there would be the dinner thread and the what is your favourite colour thread and Ecco's roommate blog. If we want to make that jump (which I don't think anyone does, I certainly don't) then we can start separating out topics. As long as we stay here though, I don't think trying to divide things up is particularly fruitful.

I've already said, I have no interest in policing a thread for what is or is not on topic. You are the one who is saying that your mafia theory needs (and the needs of those you anonymously represent) are not being met in this thread, then go meet them. I think it's a bad idea and a waste of time so I'm not personally going to be enforcing it.

I'm not saying police or enforce anything. I'm saying rewrite the OP to better represent what we want the threads to be for. Please don't pretend like you're meeting me halfway when you're not even willing to move an inch.