Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I didn't know they made a dohc '65 Mustang. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Elmnt80 posted:

Oh god. What year is it? Is it possible to get more pics?
Hmm, the engine seems to say 1975 on the plate, but the convertible didn't come out until '78?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

You can bet there will be now!

The lovely thing is they'll need to make that verbiage extremely clear - a car that massively neuters itself only when specifically being tested by the EPA is bad, but you wouldn't want to also make other forms of adaptation illegal.

I guess when you have to have a standardized test, you will always have people designing for the test, and this is just the most egregious form of it yet. We've already negatively experienced it by the fact that the US largely lacks start/stop on non-hybrids because it doesn't show a benefit in the test.

trouser chili posted:

Never did I think I'd be happy to say I traded my TDI for a Honda Odyssey.

I wonder what the long-term impact to owners will be. It seems like this would be a recall you don't want, since there's going to be at least some negative. Either the car is going to perform worse (reprogramming only), or they're going to add some sort of urea injection (more expense / maintenance), or both. But yes, you probably made out pretty well not taking whatever hit TDIs might get in the used market thanks to this.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wonder what the long-term impact to owners will be. It seems like this would be a recall you don't want, since there's going to be at least some negative. Either the car is going to perform worse (reprogramming only), or they're going to add some sort of urea injection (more expense / maintenance), or both. But yes, you probably made out pretty well not taking whatever hit TDIs might get in the used market thanks to this.

This is SO bad for VW, I wish I had one of the diesels right now. They sold scores of thousands of cars fraudulently and got called for it. It wasn't a mistake, it was deception and EPA bypassing. They penalties are going to be severe, and I think the owners are going to get buyback offers that are VERY generous.

Look at Toyota's buyback of Tacomas, for example -- they offered a frame replacement or vehicle buyback, and they bumped the entire market for those trucks up because their buyback offers were so high. And that was simply because of structural rust... incompetence, not deceptive practices.

Queue up the popcorn, because this VW event is going to be fun to watch.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-speeds-up-electric-car-work-1442857105?mod=e2fb

So, I guess we're getting an iCar then :v:

Now to see which owners will be worse, the ones who buy the Apple electric car or Prius owners.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

This is SO bad for VW, I wish I had one of the diesels right now. They sold scores of thousands of cars fraudulently and got called for it. It wasn't a mistake, it was deception and EPA bypassing. They penalties are going to be severe, and I think the owners are going to get buyback offers that are VERY generous.

Look at Toyota's buyback of Tacomas, for example -- they offered a frame replacement or vehicle buyback, and they bumped the entire market for those trucks up because their buyback offers were so high. And that was simply because of structural rust... incompetence, not deceptive practices.

Queue up the popcorn, because this VW event is going to be fun to watch.

DoJ just opened a criminal investigation:

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-is-now-the-target-of-a-criminal-investigatio-1732130214?rev=1442863143857

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I guess when you have to have a standardized test, you will always have people designing for the test, and this is just the most egregious form of it yet. We've already negatively experienced it by the fact that the US largely lacks start/stop on non-hybrids because it doesn't show a benefit in the test.
That right there is the Catch 22.

You must have the test be precisely the same each and every time, so that it's an identical one for every car tested. You also have to let everyone know what the test regime is, otherwise they can't design cars to try and achieve what it is you're after. And that means people will optimise for the test.

If someone optimises to pass the test, and this doesn't equate to improved economy/emissions in real-world use, what this really shows is that the test isn't doing its job. I think most "car people" already know that this is how the game works, but the general public don't quite get it as such.

All this is compounded by the fact that, as I understand it, it's not allowed to use anything other than the EPA figures, so even if a manufacturer wanted to be studiously honest and say "Look, in reality, we believe 95% of drivers will achieve this", they're not allowed to. Interestingly, my Zoe has that in the brochure, because of the unrealistic nature of the range testing cycle - it gives the official range, and then right there, says "Well, ok, but really, we reckon you'll get this".

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Punch in the gut for diesel cars while simultaneously giving electric cars a shot in the arm, nice.

Diesel cars are going to be a thing of the past because of this, at least in the US.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I would assume there is a very real possibility of them just totally leaving the US market, at least with the VW brand if there is even a remote possibility of them escaping some punishment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

leica posted:

Punch in the gut for diesel cars while simultaneously giving electric cars a shot in the arm, nice.

Diesel cars are going to be a thing of the past because of this, at least in the US.

:smith: gently caress. gently caress whoever thought this was a good idea.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How much poo poo would you catch for a car that was completely neutered and absolutely, cheat-free, emissions compliant like the EPA want - but an OBD plugin would give you full power, and while that's totally naughty and not what you should be doing, ok, it was guaranteed that there would be zero warranty shenanigans if anyone chose to use it?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

How much poo poo would you catch for a car that was completely neutered and absolutely, cheat-free, emissions compliant like the EPA want - but an OBD plugin would give you full power, and while that's totally naughty and not what you should be doing, ok, it was guaranteed that there would be zero warranty shenanigans if anyone chose to use it?

Individuals using it would be prosecuted under federal law, probably individually by the EPA, if it was blatant enough to be widespread.

It would also bring down a heinous, perhaps permanent regime of making engine modifications illegal.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The EPA would go after the OBD2 plugin maker, just like they recently went after some diesel tuner makers and O2 sensor simulator manufacturer.

Those are considered Defeat Devices just as much as the VW thing is. In fact, that is actually what the EPA was intending to ban when they originally came out with the defeat devices rules - as far as I know, no one thought an OEM would actually be this brazen about circumventing the clean air act, it was all about banning catless downpipes, O2 simulators, tuners that let you turn off emissions DTCs, etc. And no number of legal disclaimers and "offroad use only" notices on the seller's website can protect them from it.

My interpretation was that the ECU just goes into emissions test mode anytime it's got an OBD2 reader of any kind plugged in, but I might be wrong about that.

e: news article about the diesel tuner stuff - http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/01/epa-says-dont-touch-paticulate-filter.html
EPA ruling about one company's O2 simulators - http://www2.epa.gov/enforcement/caspers-electronics-inc-clean-air-act

There are still other manufacturers of O2 simulators and diesel tuners etc but you can bet they are running scared right now.

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 21, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Individuals using it would be prosecuted under federal law, probably individually by the EPA, if it was blatant enough to be widespread.

It would also bring down a heinous, perhaps permanent regime of making engine modifications illegal.
Bollocks. So much for that, then.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

what exactly it did to the car while in this mode.

Likely the same as the Americans (Detroit, Cat and Cummins) did a while back-with the same result, they got caught. Only difference is that it was three different companies conspiring together. They cut the fuel rate and bump the EGR map up a few points when it sees whatever sequence of inputs the testing entail. Neuters the engine and makes spectacular emissions numbers.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That is basically what a cobb accessport does. I'm actually a bit surprised that they have not gotten in any trouble over them. Some of the other tuner/reflash companies have been shut down/fined heavily. I guess you just need a "this is for offroad use only" disclaimer?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

The EPA would go after the OBD2 plugin maker, just like they recently went after some diesel tuner makers and O2 sensor simulator manufacturer.

Those are considered Defeat Devices just as much as the VW thing is. In fact, that is actually what the EPA was intending to ban when they originally came out with the defeat devices rules - as far as I know, no one thought an OEM would actually be this brazen about circumventing the clean air act, it was all about banning catless downpipes, O2 simulators, tuners that let you turn off emissions DTCs, etc. And no number of legal disclaimers and "offroad use only" notices on the seller's website can protect them from it.

My interpretation was that the ECU just goes into emissions test mode anytime it's got an OBD2 reader of any kind plugged in, but I might be wrong about that.

e: news article about the diesel tuner stuff - http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/01/epa-says-dont-touch-paticulate-filter.html
EPA ruling about one company's O2 simulators - http://www2.epa.gov/enforcement/caspers-electronics-inc-clean-air-act

There are still other manufacturers of O2 simulators and diesel tuners etc but you can bet they are running scared right now.

Wow. Countdown to diesel trucks being commercial only as well. All these loving hackers are basically ruining it for everyone else, the EPA is going to crack down so hard no one will want to got through the headaches of owning a diesel anything.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Defund the EPA?
:confuoot:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jamal posted:

That is basically what a cobb accessport does. I'm actually a bit surprised that they have not gotten in any trouble over them. Some of the other tuner/reflash companies have been shut down/fined heavily. I guess you just need a "this is for offroad use only" disclaimer?

Doesn't COBB have a "this is for track use only" thing on their products already?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
^^ Yeah, they do.

I'm surprised that VW was the only real manufacturer bringing over diesels (outside of Mercedes for a few models and BMW briefly) and was able to do it considering the somewhat backwards restrictions on particulates. I have never been to the west coast, but people who grew up in LA can definitely preach to the efficiency of catalytic converters and rigorous emissions.

It's definitely a price to pay, but we have a responsibility to not gently caress up the environment more than we "need" to. I welcome our 50 cc and electric motor racing league overlords.

Tusen Takk posted:

Defund the EPA?
:confuoot:

gently caress you.

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 21, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

1500quidporsche posted:

I would assume there is a very real possibility of them just totally leaving the US market, at least with the VW brand if there is even a remote possibility of them escaping some punishment.

This is a small market for VW, but huge for porsche and audi, so I doubt it.
Also, they can't really escape it because any international business transaction goes through the US at some point, and the feds will just seize that.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Phone posted:

gently caress you.

It's a joke lol, all the libertarians are already on Facebook screaming how Ron Paul was right and VW is their hero

Jesus

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tusen Takk posted:

It's a joke lol, all the libertarians are already on Facebook screaming how Ron Paul was right and VW is their hero

Jesus

Poe's Law is a real bitch when you're posting.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Phone posted:

Poe's Law is a real bitch when you're posting.

Would you like me to use quotes or italics when I'm being ironic? everyone else usually gets it

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

nm posted:

This is a small market for VW, but huge for porsche and audi, so I doubt it.
Also, they can't really escape it because any international business transaction goes through the US at some point, and the feds will just seize that.

Yeah I've got no doubt that Audi and Porsche are here to stay. But considering VW is at best a niche brand that competes with Subaru here and they're the only major European carmaker still here there has to be some cost-benefit analysis being done now. I'm sure if it mitigated the fine in any way they'd probably consider it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah I've got no doubt that Audi and Porsche are here to stay. But considering VW is at best a niche brand that competes with Subaru here and they're the only major European carmaker still here there has to be some cost-benefit analysis being done now. I'm sure if it mitigated the fine in any way they'd probably consider it.

The problem is that they can't avoid the fine by saying "lol, who is vw? we're porsche."
Esp as the audi a3 is subject to the same issue.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tusen Takk posted:

Would you like me to use quotes or italics when I'm being ironic? everyone else usually gets it

Last week you rolled into the yossec thread with a virus trying to further trojan itself on your box via a Facebook pop up.

Like I said, Poe's Law is a mother fucker when you post.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

You guys are forgetting that 95% of white girls under the age of 40 only drive Jettas.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

This VW thing is a massive loving mess but with how stringent the regulations have become it isn't horribly surprising. It does suck though because it's going to be a massive hit to diesel sales in the US when they were starting to bring in more diesel models. My Dad's is in the model range so I gave him a heads up on the impending recall, he said his car will never see the dealership again. No dealership service, no recall, happy car. Wonder if this means I'll be able to pick up a 2009-2015 TDI cheap.

San Fransisco is pretty drat nice this time of year. Had a 'hot' day yesterday with it getting above 90 in a few places I guess, felt pretty nice to me.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You guys are forgetting that 95% of white girls under the age of 40 only drive Jettas.
Very rarely diesel though

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 21, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Meh.

(Edited for accuracy.)

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 21, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Phone posted:

Last week you rolled into the yossec thread with a virus trying to further trojan itself on your box via a Facebook pop up.

Like I said, Poe's Law is a mother fucker when you post.

It turned out that it was legit antivirus being marketed for three different antivirus companies and is triggered by posting too many links

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Mooseykins posted:

Some of you guys need to chill the gently caress out, listen to some Elton John and generally not give a gently caress about VW and the EPA.

How's everyone else, EPA whinging aside, obviously?
Let people talk about what they want in the general chat thread, what the gently caress? Whining about posts is the worst.

SJWing for posting is also the worst don't make me do this

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cage posted:

SJWing for posting is also the worst don't make me do this

I had to look that up. Hmm.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tusen Takk posted:

It turned out that it was legit antivirus being marketed for three different antivirus companies and is triggered by posting too many links

Deal with that loving avatar.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Gave a three weeks notice today instead of 2 so I could help them finish this job. Feels good man.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just bought this bundle of games on Steam, but I had some of them already:

Carmageddon 2: Q(nine)IAA-HMDXC-XH34L
Apogee throwback pack (ROTT+Blake Stone): T(four)NHE-GMF7N-BMEGL
Wizardry 6+7: TMA(two)8-AVT6B-YI0XG

Have at it!

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KozmoNaut posted:

I just bought this bundle of games on Steam, but I had some of them already:

Carmageddon 2: Q(nine)IAA-HMDXC-XH34L
Apogee throwback pack (ROTT+Blake Stone): T(four)NHE-GMF7N-BMEGL
Wizardry 6+7: TMA(two)8-AVT6B-YI0XG

Have at it!

I took your Wizardry, thanks.

EDIT: You know what, let's play it forward. I have gift copies of the following games: Grav, Magicite, who wants?

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 21, 2015

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'm really surprised that someone hasn't done this before, though I really expected it to be an aftermarket tuner, not a major manufacturer. I've envisioned for a number of years a black box that has an OB2 intercept connector and just tells the emissions machine what it wants to hear.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yay, got a 2nd interview tomorrow morning with the company I interviewed with last Friday. They called all my references today as well. Face is shaved, suit is clean. Ready to go.

Also #newenglandai is better than most of this forum.

From what others have said, AI in general is better than the rest of SA...

some texas redneck posted:

GASCHAT

... if you have a gas hookup at home, your grill should be hooked up to it. As Hank says, taste the meat, not the heat. :quagmire:

There was a mounted grill in my back yard, and a gas line running down the wall from the soffit, but it's not connected in the attic. I assume it was supposed to run to the gas line where the stove and water heater connect. The line is still there - maybe I should get someone to hook that up for me again, and run a line to my propane grill. Do any mods have to be made to the grill? Orifices or something? I know propane != natural gas, necessarily.

quote:

So uh..

Certified letters from the IRS are always good news, right? :stare: Best part is our mailman just left it in the mailbox instead of getting a signature. I thought certified mail always needed a signature?

That's the way I understand it. If it's bad news, just ignore it and claim it was never delivered (not really. You should take care of the problem if there is one, but legally, you should be covered. IANAL, though.)

some texas redneck posted:

Thank gently caress I can honestly say no to that.

... they're just threatening to seize my assets over the $180 I still owe them.

I set up a payment plan a few months ago with them. :shepicide: I don't have any assets beyond a nearly 5 year old homebuilt PC, a bed, a couch, and some clothes... bank technically still owns my car. Go uh, good luck with that I guess?

Ah.
Yeah, that'll make a dent in the deficit.

Ferremit posted:

God drat that hurt to fill up...

No poo poo. I mean, over $4 for coffee? :v:

meatpimp posted:

I cleaned my workbench today, for the first time in WAY too long. In doing so, I found some things that I had forgotten about.

In the late-80s, a car rag, I thing it was Road & Track had a picture of a guy cruising in a 2-seater convertible bus. I want that vehicle:

In my mind, there's a tremendous cargo box in the front, like a giant reverse ute.

Nodoze posted:

Why are you paying 4 bucks for a coffee

Dammit, beaten.

ilkhan posted:

C&C this morning. Saw an original owner '95 300ZX TT.

Upgraded turbos, IC, and all the piping and IM was chromed. Red, paint in amazing shape for being 20 years old (some swirls but to be expected). JDM tail lights, etc.
Thing was SUPER clean. I was impressed.

That is all.

My former boss at work has a red '96 (I believe). He's put a little work in it. Nice wide staggered wheels and tires, nice stereo, vented front panel and some reliability mods. Brembo brakes and a nice, throaty exhaust. He says the turbos are ingesting a bit of oil, so is planning to have his mechanic pull the engine and do a reseal on everything while it's out, fix the knock sensor that's impossible to get to with the engine in, stuff like that. I like that he usually drives it to work once or twice a week.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cakefool posted:

Deal with that loving avatar.

Personally, I like the cartoon boobs, but I am admittedly a child inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I am so sick of this poo poo town in NH. Everyone is either a college student or smokes meth for a living. On the bright side this Cobb Salad was loving baller.

• Locked thread