Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Eimi posted:

I'd also argue that the class changes they made for the expansion are moronic pursuit of complexity for complexitiy's sake. At least that more than anything killed the game. Dumb poo poo like Enochian, Wanderer's Minuet changing how blm and brd play and then loving adding back positionals to ninja when ninja was good because it didn't have that bullshit. The fact that the current end game is a mess doesn't help but I think they made some fundamentally wrong decisions in how they changed dps classes. Healers and tanks got off fairly well, bloated skillbars aside.

Ninja got 2 positionals. A whole 2. Completely different class thanks Square everything is ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Ninja got 2 positionals. A whole 2. Completely different class thanks Square everything is ruined.

thank god you're here to defend their honor

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gameko posted:

The group content was always enjoyable until endgame. I plan to tinker around with it and see if there's some fun to be had in dungeons.

It was even enjoyable at endgame. What wasn't enjoyable was the lack of reward for doing it, and the arbitrary time limits.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Eh, considering the reason I enjoyed ninja is because it doesn't have bullshit positionals? :shrug:

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Eimi posted:

I'd also argue that the class changes they made for the expansion are moronic pursuit of complexity for complexitiy's sake. At least that more than anything killed the game. Dumb poo poo like Enochian, Wanderer's Minuet changing how blm and brd play and then loving adding back positionals to ninja when ninja was good because it didn't have that bullshit. The fact that the current end game is a mess doesn't help but I think they made some fundamentally wrong decisions in how they changed dps classes. Healers and tanks got off fairly well, bloated skillbars aside.

Let's not forget Dragoons, who's level 58 ability literally serves ZERO purpose other then to make them randomly have to hit from the back or flank instead of just the flank.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Bless you brave souls who counter every bit of criticism with screeching hyperbole. :patriot:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Screeching hyperbole? I just find it hilarious that moving to the side occasionally is apparently a "complexity for complexity's sake". Please tell me more about how much trouble that is. :allears:

I'll agree with other points though, Dragoon's random positional is stupid as hell and Wanderer's Minuet was a playstyle change that people didn't want or expect.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Screeching hyperbole? I just find it hilarious that moving to the side occasionally is apparently a "complexity for complexity's sake". Please tell me more about how much trouble that is. :allears:

I'll agree with other points though, Dragoon's random positional is stupid as hell and Wanderer's Minuet was a playstyle change that people didn't want or expect.

you know what would make this combat really awesome instead of suck?

stepping to the right, and then back to the left

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Eimi posted:

I'll agree that Enochian sucks, yeah. Feels like they made classes more "complicated" for the sake of it for whatever reason. Still, it's better than any other game available right now.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Sally forth, valiant knight. Let none stop thine quest with rewards of middling value.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Lol

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

poo poo my main before I quit was black mage, not ninja. And positionals have been an annoyance and detriment to having fun in every game they've been in. Having to shuffle around, make sure you're on the right side, especially when poo poo is going on, tanks running around, you have to deal with aoes is just frustrating. They don't feel good when you get them right, they just feel awful when you get it wrong. That kind of design is indefensible to me.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

So standing still while you mash buttons is much more engaging than moving around. Got it, thanks for clarifying that.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

So standing still while you mash buttons is just as engaging as moving around. Got it, thanks for clarifying that.

FTFY

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

If something is not particularly fun to begin with, adding an extra level of irritating complexity doesn't automatically make it better. You try and make the initial thing more fun first.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I liked positional BAM combat in TERA as it was hectic in a fun way and very movement oriented. I didn't do any melee dps in FFXIV so I can't really comment on it. Melee dps is typically more involved when it comes to situation awareness in MMOs and the moment you do group content you're mostly going to be poking something in the butt regardless.

I will say it does sound lovely if you're constantly having to dance around to just keep your baseline dps. Wildstar forcing you to dodge every attack got old fast.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Only another week-ish and then we can all play Wildstar to fill time waiting for our favorite MMO expansion/content patch to drop:

SWTOR expansion: Oct 27th
GW2 expansion: Oct 23rd
FFXIV 3.1: Probably in a few weeks?
WoW: I dunno wait for Blizzcon?
STO: Season 11 sometime this year

YoshiOfYellow posted:

So standing still while you mash buttons is much more engaging than moving around. Got it, thanks for clarifying that.

I mean constantly moving totally worked for Wildstar right?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
A sad day when you can actually say "You know, TOR is probably the least bad out of that bunch" and be totally right.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mayor McCheese posted:

I liked positional BAM combat in TERA as it was hectic in a fun way and very movement oriented. I didn't do any melee dps in FFXIV so I can't really comment on it. Melee dps is typically more involved when it comes to situation awareness in MMOs and the moment you do group content you're mostly going to be poking something in the butt regardless.

I will say it does sound lovely if you're constantly having to dance around to just keep your baseline dps. Wildstar forcing you to dodge every attack got old fast.

When I played a melee dps class in FFXIV it pretty much amounted to moving 90 degrees clockwise and counterclockwise around the target every 2 seconds. I'd rather it just let me do my rotation ( :v: ) and limit the positioning to avoiding boss mechanics.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Morglon posted:

A sad day when you can actually say "You know, TOR is probably the least bad out of that bunch" and be totally right.
Eh, TOR wasn't terrible, but after the you hit level cap all you had was a Star Wars-themed WoW clone with less content and lacking a lot of quality of life stuff WoW had built up over the years.

And honestly the leveling stuff started to fall apart before then, with the game relying increasingly on canned responses.

Oh, and PvP apparently was done by (what was left of) Mythic, which explained a lot

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
The game is fairly unremarkable but factor in the free to play model and you've got one of the worst out there. Some of the stuff I don't mind, some is just well they have to make money somehow but there's poo poo you can't get rid of unless you subscribe, like the credit cap that just fucks free players over and games that do that can just suck it.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
I just downloaded that client for the Warhammer Online private server because PvP RvR is fun.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bombogenesis posted:

Only another week-ish and then we can all play Wildstar to fill time waiting for our favorite MMO expansion/content patch to drop:

SWTOR expansion: Oct 27th
GW2 expansion: Oct 23rd
FFXIV 3.1: Probably in a few weeks?
WoW: I dunno wait for Blizzcon?
STO: Season 11 sometime this year

I mean constantly moving totally worked for Wildstar right?

FFXIV's content update will be November so it's going to be empty next month.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Commissar Budgie posted:

I just downloaded that client for the Warhammer Online private server because PvP RvR is fun.

How much do they have? If they capped the level at 20 it would probably be pretty fun. (My hazy WAR memories involve 1-29~ pvp owning then 30-40 pvp sucking horribly)

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A fiber optic line in the next town over was burned through and cut off my internet because of one of two reasons: california bursts into flames every summer, or WILDSTAR
BETA LAUNCH TOO HOT TO HANDLE!!!!!!!!!!

Because everyone is preloading the client. Can you even preload the client?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Morglon posted:

Honestly TOR's doing pretty... okay these days? They've sort of given up on the pretense of it being an MMO people want to raid and do boring MMO things in and are focusing on story content, cosmetic rewards, and stuff like that instead. There's been a huge amount of QOL improvements too and more coming in the expansion. Most of its issues are the assorted transparent WoW-clone mechanics stuff from launch, even if a lot of that (like the skill-bloated combat) is still really blatant and hard to fix.

The F2P scheme is still hilariously bad on every level though. :geno:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I got my hands on a guest pass. Should be interesting.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Eimi posted:

poo poo my main before I quit was black mage, not ninja. And positionals have been an annoyance and detriment to having fun in every game they've been in. Having to shuffle around, make sure you're on the right side, especially when poo poo is going on, tanks running around, you have to deal with aoes is just frustrating. They don't feel good when you get them right, they just feel awful when you get it wrong. That kind of design is indefensible to me.
This is funny 'cause I main a monk, which is all about positionals, and all the expansion did was make them more comfortable. One of the new skills is not very good, and another is difficult to make it useful, but overall the expansion really helped the flow of the class.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Verranicus posted:

I got my hands on a guest pass. Should be interesting.

It won't be

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eimi posted:

How much do they have? If they capped the level at 20 it would probably be pretty fun. (My hazy WAR memories involve 1-29~ pvp owning then 30-40 pvp sucking horribly)

It was capped at 20 until very recently. Just expanded to 26. It's a very well down server. Enough to let you reminiscence on glory days past.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Eimi posted:

Tier 1 was amazing, and Tier 2 was great. Tier 3 I hated because that's when the balance isues started to become apparent, and it also introduced scenarios with lovely mechanics like the lava pools that damage AND slow you so knockback became a lethal effect.

I never even saw Tier 4, but that is when the game required you to have X pieces of your endgame set in order to not get crushed by NPCs. And you got the sets either through random drops in RvR or...PvE! They took steps to fix it, but by that point people were leaving the game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Rorus Raz posted:

Tier 1 was amazing, and Tier 2 was great. Tier 3 I hated because that's when the balance isues started to become apparent, and it also introduced scenarios with lovely mechanics like the lava pools that damage AND slow you so knockback became a lethal effect.

I never even saw Tier 4, but that is when the game required you to have X pieces of your endgame set in order to not get crushed by NPCs. And you got the sets either through random drops in RvR or...PvE! They took steps to fix it, but by that point people were leaving the game.

That's not even why I hated T4, it was the insane burst. I feel in t1-3 the time to kill was pretty good, you had plenty of time to react to things and didn't really get instant gibbed. And then T4 and it all went to poo poo. Compounded by the fact that the classes weren't true mirrors so you had Bright Wizards getting the most insane skill in the game on top of their now insane burst and everything spiraled downhill.

Glad to hear that the private server either made the smart decision to focus on the simplicity of the early game or they just can't get the max level stuff working. Either way staying in the 20's is good, sound like I'll have to check it out.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The funniest thing about WAR was that both sides complained that their mirror was mega OP, except for Engis <-> Magus'.

You know what was really OP? Repeatedly wiping warbands with the Rat Engineers deathaball with 400% AAO netting you >1M RP/hour :D. At least I tihnk it was the Rat Engineer, might have been the warlock thing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

The funniest thing about WAR was that both sides complained that their mirror was mega OP, except for Engis <-> Magus'.

You know what was really OP? Repeatedly wiping warbands with the Rat Engineers deathaball with 400% AAO netting you >1M RP/hour :D. At least I tihnk it was the Rat Engineer, might have been the warlock thing.

I played Order actually, but in terms of the Bright Wizard/Sorc thing I don't think Sorcs could really compare. Like Sorc had close range aoe while the BW was more single target, with the op move in question being a super powerful Mortal Strike effect that not only reduced healing but damaged the healer back and stunned them if they healed too much. Something like that. It was crazy. And then on top of it the Destro guys didn't get the mirror to Grudgebearer at all and Grudgebearers were absolutely amazing. So...sucked to be them.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Warhammer Online was a good game that was ruined by EA.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Verranicus posted:

All video games were a good game that was ruined by EA.

Ftfy

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Command and Conquer :(

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Verranicus posted:

Warhammer Online was a good game that was ruined by EA.

But EA was the reason WAR even got enough money to come out in the first place.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So the game is still pretty meh. I'd say my biggest complaint at this point is the horrible, horrible UI.

EDIT: Oh but apparently they shut down the in-game auction house for the 9 days leading up to the F2P transition. So they've basically screwed what few paying customers they have out of a week+ of the auction house. Haha.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

WAR's death is probably a variety of things. EA forced the game out too early, making it drop content and not only go up against the best WoW expansion, but going up against it AFTER WAR's free month ended. Mythic also was clueless about balance, and I recall the actual end to the RvR campaign (attacking your opponent's capital) being super hosed for months.

Then you have Games Workshop, who was probably responsible for a lot of the weird ways they tried to save WAR rather than go free-to-play. We're tallking really stupid poo poo like a spinoff game that never left beta (think Forge but really lovely) and paying to increase the RvR rank cap with literally no other benefits. Just pay to win over the poor fucks that don't shell out the cash.

• Locked thread