Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I don't see a thread anywhere in SH/SC, CoC, or BFC about hiring developers or people in general. I've had luck with past hires, but I'm having a hard time finding someone to fill a current opening and was seeing if there was a place to discuss the process in general, and if not, if there's interest in a thread? It could even be a more general management thread if that would make more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I have spent all goddamn day tracing down a database connection error in some third party software for a client and it RANDOMLY starts working right before I finally get a dev ticket submitted. Then the T3 I have on the phone just goes oh well works for now; make sure you do that upgrade we sent you that should arrive in the mail tomorrow or Wednesday.

Thanks; you gently caress.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Erwin posted:

I don't see a thread anywhere in SH/SC, CoC, or BFC about hiring developers or people in general. I've had luck with past hires, but I'm having a hard time finding someone to fill a current opening and was seeing if there was a place to discuss the process in general, and if not, if there's interest in a thread? It could even be a more general management thread if that would make more sense.

I'm happy to try and field it via PMs, but I don't want to bore the thread with more recruiter-speak. I know there are a bunch of managers and PMs here that might be able to chime in too though.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Rhymenoserous posted:

Business Continuity would be something a network/systems admin is heavily involved in regardless of if you have the name "Manager" stapled to you or not. Basically if you think you are there to just beep boop press buttans, you are in the wrong career field. Yer gonna be doing planning for poo poo like this be you a manager or not. If anything I'd say the onus of planning out a business continuity model falls on the systems and network admins, then they hand it to the manager to fight for budget.

Basically you aren't doing yourself any favors.

That was honestly a bad example, and I'm more than interested in learning anything relevant toward improving my chances of moving up in the field. But if you had the first-hand perspective of my position & department that I do, I assure you'd agree with my assessment. That said, yeah I agree that I should be involved in any learning opportunities I can.

But this is a pretty dead-end position with woefully inadequate salary growth. And I'm being actively told to stop working on IT things, basically. This is not a good thing; I'm not interested in having my tech skills stymied when I've worked in IT for all of two and a half years.

Anyway, this is a somewhat pointless argument. I can easily see where someone complaining about what I mentioned comes across as short-sighted, but at the same time you aren't going to convince me that I'm being dumb when I say I plan on leaving after too long due to a lot of reasons.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Rhymenoserous posted:

Business Continuity would be something a network/systems admin is heavily involved in regardless of if you have the name "Manager" stapled to you or not. Basically if you think you are there to just beep boop press buttans, you are in the wrong career field. Yer gonna be doing planning for poo poo like this be you a manager or not. If anything I'd say the onus of planning out a business continuity model falls on the systems and network admins, then they hand it to the manager to fight for budget.

Basically you aren't doing yourself any favors.
He said he is more of a T1/T2 desktop support. He wants to be an admin, and you need that experience before you start on BCP.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

adorai posted:

He said he is more of a T1/T2 desktop support. He wants to be an admin, and you need that experience before you start on BCP.
Maybe. Business continuity planning doesn't begin and end on backend infrastructure. Let's say you have a small business office with 30 full-time people in it, and while Active Directory is nice, all of them need computers to get their work done. The building burns down. Where do people work tomorrow? How do you source 30 computers in a day? A replacement phone system? How do you make sure payroll has the software installed to do their jobs so checks go out on time?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

adorai posted:

Pretty much this (though I'm actually the "Help Desk Manager", I'm just paid like T1/T2) . If I'm still here when that work rolls around, I'll eagerly take it on, but I'd expect my resume bulletpoints to furrow a few brows, too.

Mostly I'm just nowhere near the point in my career / technical skillset where I'm ready to call myself done and move onto a project management / supervisory focus.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Pretty much this (though I'm actually the "Help Desk Manager", I'm just paid like T1/T2) . If I'm still here when that work rolls around, I'll eagerly take it on, but I'd expect my resume bulletpoints to furrow a few brows, too.

Mostly I'm just nowhere near the point in my career / technical skillset where I'm ready to call myself done and move onto a project management / supervisory focus.

Sounds to me like you just need to take that step.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vulture Culture posted:

Maybe. Business continuity planning doesn't begin and end on backend infrastructure. Let's say you have a small business office with 30 full-time people in it, and while Active Directory is nice, all of them need computers to get their work done. The building burns down. Where do people work tomorrow? How do you source 30 computers in a day? A replacement phone system? How do you make sure payroll has the software installed to do their jobs so checks go out on time?

BCP is complicated as hell to do right and when people think of it, they usually only think of it in terms of their domain.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Sounds to me like you just need to take that step.

Kinda surprised to see this sort of response. What step would that be? To stay where I am and shift focuses to management and gradually move out of involvement with the technical side? It's really and truly not for me.

Would you want a supervisor who isn't interested in the role? I have a good relationship with the technicians I supervise but my relationship with them is much closer to a team lead than anything else.

But to be clear - I have less than three years of actual IT experience. I was given a promotion based on the fact that I came into a place and realized that their deployment processes sucked, and decided to implement MDT and USMT to save myself the pain. Said promotion was initially contingent on nothing, with no added responsibilities; it was just to bring my salary up to a more reasonable (but still below market) spot based on what I was bringing them. But then my direct supervisor left, and the director was like "We're promoting you into his job" with no added pay increase above what I was due to get in the first place. I am the Peter principle. Also, again, paid like a T1 desktop technician.

Anyway, that's more than enough talk about me, honestly. I am not one to turn down opportunities and I will learn everything I can out of this role, and contribute all that I can, but this is not my final stop by any stretch, and I'm all but certain that my next role will not be supervisory. :shrug:

Also, re: BCP talk - I'm on-site IT in a particular building at a university. We work alongside, though not under, campus IT. The back-end here is essentially a black box from our point-of-view (again, part of why I'd like to move on), so I'm curious what our BCP would even look like. Step 1 - "Wait for central to implement their BCP"? I guess I'll see if that rolls around.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Kinda surprised to see this sort of response. What step would that be? To stay where I am and shift focuses to management and gradually move out of involvement with the technical side? It's really and truly not for me.

Would you want a supervisor who isn't interested in the role? I have a good relationship with the technicians I supervise but my relationship with them is much closer to a team lead than anything else.

But to be clear - I have less than three years of actual IT experience. I was given a promotion based on the fact that I came into a place and realized that their deployment processes sucked, and decided to implement MDT and USMT to save myself the pain. Said promotion was initially contingent on nothing, with no added responsibilities; it was just to bring my salary up to a more reasonable (but still below market) spot based on what I was bringing them. But then my direct supervisor left, and the director was like "We're promoting you into his job" with no added pay increase above what I was due to get in the first place. I am the Peter principle. Also, again, paid like a T1 desktop technician.

Anyway, that's more than enough talk about me, honestly. I am not one to turn down opportunities and I will learn everything I can out of this role, and contribute all that I can, but this is not my final stop by any stretch, and I'm all but certain that my next role will not be supervisory. :shrug:

Sorry I guess I could've been more specific. It sounds to me like you're wanting out, but you're unsure if you're qualified for a more advanced and technical role. It also sounds like there's not much room for this kind of advancement in your current position. It sounds like it's time to look elsewhere.

So you have less than 3 years of experience. 2+ years is definitely enough to apply for admin positions, just find the right one. Throw your resume out there and contact some recruiters - that's the step I was talking about.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Sorry I guess I could've been more specific. It sounds to me like you're wanting out, but you're unsure if you're qualified for a more advanced and technical role. It also sounds like there's not much room for this kind of advancement in your current position. It sounds like it's time to look elsewhere.

So you have less than 3 years of experience. 2+ years is definitely enough to apply for admin positions, just find the right one. Throw your resume out there and contact some recruiters - that's the step I was talking about.

Oops. My bad. Yeah, that's the plan, though I'm mostly wanting to get my CCNA done with before I start looking in earnest. Am doing regularly looking though.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Oops. My bad. Yeah, that's the plan, though I'm mostly wanting to get my CCNA done with before I start looking in earnest. Am doing regularly looking though.

Well then keep doing what you're doing! :cheers:

J
Jun 10, 2001

Somebody found an imgur exploit recently, that imgur claims is now fixed. The interesting part to me though is that someone found a way to get malicious code running on one of the biggest image sharing sites out there, and used it to.....attack 4chan? :what:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

J posted:

Somebody found an imgur exploit recently, that imgur claims is now fixed. The interesting part to me though is that someone found a way to get malicious code running on one of the biggest image sharing sites out there, and used it to.....attack 4chan? :what:

Attack 8chan. The exploit involves uploading an .html file onto the site in such a fashion that accessing imgur.com/foo.jpg also loads foo.html, which references a malicious foo.swf uploaded on 8chan, using that swf file to DDOS 8chan.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
NoScript, no problem

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I walked from a help desk manager promotion to a network admin offer, and the change can be pretty jarring. I went from closing 10-20 tickets a day to seeing one ticket a week. It felt like running full speed in to outer space; no matter where I looked there were no problems to fix and I was flailing for something to grab on to and fix.

It's been a month and the adjustment is sinking in. I participate in multiple conference calls a week with various venders for budget numbers, new implementations, hardware recommendations to complete some other departments project. I've been creating network diagrams of everything, and any time a proposal comes up I diagram what will have to change and how much it costs. I sat in on the disaster recovery meetings and took notes.

But more than anything I realized I'm paid for my knowledge. I know the topology off the top of my head, I know the equipment in place, the utilization of that equipment, and how it's configured, I know what traffic goes where at what times and why. And my company is willing to pay big to know I'm here with a handle on it all.

So my recommendation to getting off help desk and in to network admin is to start taking those higher level tasks and just soak it up. Network admins don't have much work on the day to day if they're doing their jobs right so the hands-off stuff becomes really valuable.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Mom called me on Monday in a panic because she thought she had a virus. When I was finally able to get remoted in to the computer, I saw she had installed 3 toolbars and one of them must have made ie open to a specific webpage that threw up a fake warning box saying a IMPORTANT WINDOWS FILE IS CORRUPT, DONT TRY To fix THIS YOURSELF, CALL THIS NUMBER! When you closed the window it would come right back up. Killing the iexplorer.exe process got rid of it, then uninstalled all the toolbars and ran windows defender and an online scan that both came back clean.

I asked her how she got all the toolbars and she says when something pops up she just clicks on it so it will go away.

Went out today and bought a Chromebook (ASUS C100P) to check it out and see if my mom will use it. It's pretty cool and feels really snappy. Also the display can be folded over to make it a tablet. Screen might be kinda small for my mom though. Anyways, ya, Chromebooks are pretty neat.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My Toshiba Chromebook 2 is my goto machine at home when I'm looking to get away from touch input. This, despite the fact that I have a Surface Pro 3, Lenovo y410p, and a desktop.

I pick it up, it works, I do what I want with it, and I put it away. It's light, simple, fast enough, and has a surprisingly good screen for the price-point.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I walked from a help desk manager promotion to a network admin offer, and the change can be pretty jarring. I went from closing 10-20 tickets a day to seeing one ticket a week. It felt like running full speed in to outer space; no matter where I looked there were no problems to fix and I was flailing for something to grab on to and fix.

It's been a month and the adjustment is sinking in. I participate in multiple conference calls a week with various venders for budget numbers, new implementations, hardware recommendations to complete some other departments project. I've been creating network diagrams of everything, and any time a proposal comes up I diagram what will have to change and how much it costs. I sat in on the disaster recovery meetings and took notes.

But more than anything I realized I'm paid for my knowledge. I know the topology off the top of my head, I know the equipment in place, the utilization of that equipment, and how it's configured, I know what traffic goes where at what times and why. And my company is willing to pay big to know I'm here with a handle on it all.

So my recommendation to getting off help desk and in to network admin is to start taking those higher level tasks and just soak it up. Network admins don't have much work on the day to day if they're doing their jobs right so the hands-off stuff becomes really valuable.

This does depend on the specific admin role, I'm a sysadmin, and while my workload is nowhere near as hectic as it was when I did phone support, I still never lack for something to do. Engineering roles tend to be even slower paced, from watching my co-workers going at it.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

One of the first things I do in that position is document everything I have, how I'm monitoring it, etc. Then I start filling in the time between meetings and conference calls for improvements like setting all my devices to do AAA against AD, centralizing logging, roll out RANCID (or experiment with things like Oxidized), cleaning up the monitoring, etc.

Basically sounds like you got a good handle on things.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

As someone who just recently moved from helldesk to systems admin. :stonklol:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It was msp work so I had a good deal of all around systems admin experience, specialized myself in networking, and got my CCNA. I was offered a single direct report to take the ticket load off my hands so I could concentrate on engineering new solutions, but passed for a junior network admin role. There's a senior admin, but we both report to the IT director so junior was left off my official title.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

That feeling of purposelessness is a big problem for me as well. I went from the Messaging team, which handled 300-400 tickets daily, to a Virtualization SME and getting maybe one ticket a month (that I create). Our system is robust and rarely has any issues, and when it does have issues it's usually because some chucklefuck at our parent unit or the folks in USAFE do something to screw things up. Not only can I not do anything to try fixing things, I'm actually forbidden from it because of the separation of duties. So I sit back in my chair and watch the fireworks as leadership bitches and moans until someone pulls their head out and unfucks things. Very satisfying job, actually.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

bull3964 posted:

My Toshiba Chromebook 2 is my goto machine at home when I'm looking to get away from touch input. This, despite the fact that I have a Surface Pro 3, Lenovo y410p, and a desktop.

I pick it up, it works, I do what I want with it, and I put it away. It's light, simple, fast enough, and has a surprisingly good screen for the price-point.
I love my Chromebook 2 because it doesn't do anything work-related

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

All right, which one of you works in IT for my provincial government?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/virk-data-education-1.3238851

mewse
May 2, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

YIKES.

I work for CFS in Manitoba, I think I'm going to share that link with my team, scary poo poo.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ran into this browsing job postings.

quote:

Requirements
• people-fu - must be able to interact with remote people in different timezones & countries
• script-fu - must be able to write shell scripts
• sql-fu - must be able to extract, manipulate data with ease
business-fu - must be able bilingual to geeksplain business needs/requirements to developers and businessplain technical issues/jargon to business folks
• security-fu - must be able to identify and mitigate security vulnerabilities and attacks against operating systems, applications such as Apache, Mysql, Email, and Wordpress.

ugh.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
  • bullshit-fu - the ability to parse and systematically ignore bullshit

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Surprised it's not filled with hashtags too. What a lovely posting.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GreenNight posted:

Surprised it's not filled with hashtags too. What a lovely posting.

I might as well link to the full posting.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/sad/5225987445.html

It's a really lovely job at a even shittier company, this place actually isn't far from my house and I drive by it all the time. I got curious one day because it had extra cooling and a generator and I pegged it as a small datacenter, so I looked it up.

The company is Global Virtual Opportunities, a webhost that targets MLM customers for the most part.

I haven't looked at their website in a couple years, they've really toned it down from what it used to be, the guy that owns it used to be plastered all over the front page standing next to his Ferrari, which I used to see all the time. They were selling 50 dollar/mo webhosting packages to noni juice sellers and the dude is bro laughing all the way to the bank. Can't really hate too much I guess. Website looks like he's trying to go more mainstream now.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
MLM is pretty much universally bullshit. However, on the supply side of the pyramid you can actually make legit money. Just make sure you get paid in advance.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's like the same as during the various gold rushes in our country. You don't get rich digging for gold, but you can get rich supplying the people that are doing the digging.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

What the gently caress?

I'm right next door in Alberta and can't imagine that happening. Sending this link off to a few friends at the Blue Cross and University. But dear god. How does one simply /lose/ a physical drive? How does one not encrypt something like that?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

What the gently caress?

I'm right next door in Alberta and can't imagine that happening. Sending this link off to a few friends at the Blue Cross and University. But dear god. How does one simply /lose/ a physical drive? How does one not encrypt something like that?

It's par for the course for the BC Liberals :saddowns:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Why was that drive even removed from the rack before it was dead and why wasn't it instantly destroyed if presumed dead? SO MANY QUESTIONS. It almost sounds like somebody just straight up walked into the datacenter, took the drive, and strolled off.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Applied. Sent my little pony resume :downs:

skipdogg posted:

Website looks like he's trying to go more mainstream now.

Translation: Oh poo poo! Defrauding people is bad business and I might get in trouble. Time to go legit!

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
One of these days, I'm going to work for a company and get out of work and be home... and the sun will still be up and it won't be the next day. :unsmith:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

One of these days, I'm going to work for a company and get out of work and be home... and the sun will still be up and it won't be the next day. :unsmith:

drat man, that's just depressing. Once in a great while I have to work late, or pull an overnight shift, but 89 out 90 days I'm 8:30 to 5:30. I couldn't do that to my kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

That's a lovely loving schedule, just go home man.