Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, here's the thing: a lot of countries in the USA's orbit have made the same "we really only need enough army to hold off the baddies until Uncle Sugar shows up with his freedom" calculation. It works pretty well... as long as you're the first one to pick up the Red, White, & Blue phone. We've officially abandoned the "two theater war" procurement model, so if we're busy, say, deterring Vladimir from buying a vacation dacha in Estonia, it might take a little longer to get to you than you'd like.

Australia should know about that since it's happened before with the "Europe first" policy (although that page says "the United States devoted more resources in the early part of the war to stopping the advance of Japan, and not until 1944 was a clear preponderance of U.S. resources allocated toward the defeat of Germany" so maybe not).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Godholio posted:

Just to move all the equipment back into the buildings and turn the power back on will cost half a billion dollars. THEN you can start paying for airframes. The Raptor line is dead, dead, dead.

Quebec and Las Vegas are willing to pay this much money just to get a hockey team. :homebrew: LET'S GET US SOME GAW'drat RAPTORS v2.0

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

Just to move all the equipment back into the buildings and turn the power back on will cost half a billion dollars.
Half a bil is like a raptor and a half tho.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Godholio posted:

Just to move all the equipment back into the buildings and turn the power back on will cost half a billion dollars. THEN you can start paying for airframes. The Raptor line is dead, dead, dead.

Half a billion is loving nothing. That might mean buying 70 F-22's instead of 76 F-35's. That's a brilliant deal. Where do we sign up? Hell, we'll even buy some F-15E's and MQ-9's to provide more jobs in key congressional districts if it'll help.

KingPave posted:

In saying that, who'd really want to invade us? We're not really in any position of significance (shipping and air routes) with our only redeeming strategic feature being our resources.

Every strategic decision Australia has made in the past 60 years has been based around countering an Indonesian invasion. And pretty much every decision Indonesia made in the past 60 years has been around a war with Australia. Why do you think Australia and Indonesia both abandoned their nuclear programs at the same time in the 1960's?

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

In other international airplane trade news, China's President Xi is touring the Boeing factory in Everett tomorrow. There's talk of a "completion center" to be made in China.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/17/us-usa-china-seattle-idUSKCN0RG33H20150917

quote:

Boeing is considering setting up a facility in China to finish, paint and deliver narrowbody 737 planes, sources said this week. Analysts say creating a Chinese plant is key to winning more aircraft orders from Beijing, which is developing its own 737 competitor, the Comac C919, but is behind schedule.

Sounds like they'll fly over from here unpainted with no interior and be finished and delivered out of their facility. China has a pretty high percentage of 737 deliveries. Will be interesting to see what happens.
http://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/boeing-reportedly-to-open-737-delivery-center-in-china/

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

AzureSkys posted:

In other international airplane trade news, China's President Xi is touring the Boeing factory in Everett tomorrow. There's talk of a "completion center" to be made in China.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/17/us-usa-china-seattle-idUSKCN0RG33H20150917

Sounds like they'll fly over from here unpainted with no interior and be finished and delivered out of their facility. China has a pretty high percentage of 737 deliveries. Will be interesting to see what happens.
http://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/boeing-reportedly-to-open-737-delivery-center-in-china/

Suddenly, out of nowhere, the Comac production vastly outpaces 737 production, and is offered with the latest Honegwill avionics package for a tenth of the price.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Clearly the best option for Canada is a Backfire with AIM-120s hung off it. Twin engines, long range, multirole capability (someone's transiting the northwest passage without permission? NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS)

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Nahh the reds built a special plane for precisely that role.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Captain Postal posted:

Half a billion is loving nothing. That might mean buying 70 F-22's instead of 76 F-35's. That's a brilliant deal. Where do we sign up? Hell, we'll even buy some F-15E's and MQ-9's to provide more jobs in key congressional districts if it'll help.

Half a billion, up front, from Canada, for a defense project. Yeah, that seems totally plausible.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Payable in bear claws and bounty bars

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

Payable in bear claws and bounty bars

Timbits

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

The bane of the 'Arabian' Gulf now that Timmy H's is errwhere. Watch Type 2 Diabetes counts go through the roof (even more)!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Koesj posted:

The bane of the 'Arabian' Gulf now that Timmy H's is errwhere. Watch Type 2 Diabetes counts go through the roof (even more)!

Well what the hell else is there to do in that part of the world?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Godholio posted:

Half a billion, up front, from Canada, for a defense project. Yeah, that seems totally plausible.

We've literally thrown away more on complete boondoggles so that's a relative bargain.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Donuts in your Landcruiser while hosed up on khat.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Koesj posted:

Donuts in your Landcruiser while hosed up on khat.

While on your way to the weekly public beheading.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I only ever visit those Gulf states which have a micron-thin veneer of respectability going for them, so unfortunately I know nothing about public beheadings.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Ferrari theme parks?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Ferrari demolition derbies

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Buttcoin purse posted:

Australia should know about that since it's happened before with the "Europe first" policy (although that page says "the United States devoted more resources in the early part of the war to stopping the advance of Japan, and not until 1944 was a clear preponderance of U.S. resources allocated toward the defeat of Germany" so maybe not).

Though when we got in to WW2 we did have a bit of a reason to care more about what Japan was up to...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Scratch Monkey posted:

Ferrari demolition derbies

Those are highways.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Those are highways.

Specifically cars and coffee meet ups when someone wants to do a sick burnout as they leave the venue.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
I witnessed some good judgement by the flight attendants today on my US Airways flight. There were two extremely drunk--drunk enough to comment on the fact that they were kicked out of the airport bar--young ladies in an exit row. After a quick conference, the flight attendants asked them to move to another seat. The drunks predictably blew up at the flight crew, and were subsequently deplaned.

I've never seen that happen before, and I've done my share of drinking in airport bars, lounges, and on international flights.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
A year or two ago, I saw a group of people in their 20s (past college age) getting lit at the bar across from our gate. Once it came time to board, they got very rude toward other passengers and the gate agents and weren't allowed on the flight. Then some of them started crying.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Flew from Calgary to Ottawa a couple of weeks ago and had the displeasure of sitting across from some drunk guy at 1 in the afternoon. Before takeoff the stewardess came down and talked to him about his seatbelt. He was a bit of an rear end and she judged from his slurred speech and answers that he was going to be an issue. She goes up front the first class and grabs the steward from there who's probably about 6'3 250 and he comes to have a chat with him. Asks if he's doing okay and if he's going to be any problem for anyone on the flight. Drunk mumbles something that there will be no problem so the steward just tells him to remember where he is. Drunk guy shut his mouth and kept quiet the entire flight wat up 6 times to piss

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Don't drink before a flight if you're an angry drunk. I'm generally pretty happy when I'm drunk, but I also don't ever get sloshed beforehand.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I've never seen someone so drunk they were booted but I saw a woman get absolutely irate when it was deemed that her kid was throwing such a severe temper tantrum (age four or so) that they wouldn't be allowed to board. The mom basically joined in throwing a tantrum.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

it was deemed that her kid was throwing such a severe temper tantrum (age four or so) that they wouldn't be allowed to board.

I dream of a world where this is more widely enforced.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Sewer Adventure posted:

you've got to be a bit careful about this. I've been at a restaurant (thankfully not an enclosed metal tube) where the 4 yr old kid at the next table started throwing a tantrum, the mother started fussing, we all got pissed, then the grandmother leaned over and said "I'm really sorry, but the kid is severely autistic, and she isn't going to stop" along with giving an "I have to live with this" look. Ever since then I've had a longer fuse for other peoples poorly behaving kids

mlmp08 posted:

The mom basically joined in throwing a tantrum.

This can just gently caress right off though.

I've also been on a 14 hour flight and was assigned a seat with a family group (who checked in late and were split up). The father asked to swap seats so he could sit next to his ~16 yr old son "because he was sick". It was a slightly worse seat for me, but I thought sure, I'll swap and not be a dick to the guy. The son was a highly functioning autistic kid who had a break-down about 11 hours in - best "don't be a dick" move I ever made

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF9n7ShkOJ0
I love how with that camera angle it nearly looks like the Airbus is landing vertically.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sewer Adventure posted:

A guy on my flight to Houston got arrested (I can only guess, they had cops meet us on the skybridge and the attendants pointed him out but he was 3 or 4 rows behind me ) for absolutely refusing to get off his phone during takeoff coming out of Orlando. Both flight attendants spent like 10 minutes trying to get the guy to stow it while we were waiting for our turn to takeoff.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 23, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I drink before a flight only so I can sleep. I am the best passenger.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Captain Postal posted:

you've got to be a bit careful about this. I've been at a restaurant (thankfully not an enclosed metal tube) where the 4 yr old kid at the next table started throwing a tantrum, the mother started fussing, we all got pissed, then the grandmother leaned over and said "I'm really sorry, but the kid is severely autistic, and she isn't going to stop" along with giving an "I have to live with this" look. Ever since then I've had a longer fuse for other peoples poorly behaving kids

I was on a flight with a 20-something pretty severly autistic guy and his family. About 20 minutes out from our destination he started making little moaning noises, which gradually rose in volume until he was screaming and violently thrashing in his seat. His family was sitting next to him, and all gathered round and tried to talk him down. Unfortunately they had to talk down one of the flight attendants too, who at the height of panic, literally called out down the aisle to no one in particular "Call 911!". This was met with a lot of :rolleyes: from the family "Lady, he's autistic, calm down."

Funtimes, especially on a crack-of-dawn flight.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
When I did catering at JFK I was working a British Airways flight with a drunk guy on board that was being a dick. The lead flight attendant pulled the guy off talked to the guy with the captain. They asked him if he was going to behave and made some about how he would "try to". Eventually they got him to agree to no more booze. As he was getting back on the plane he made some smart rear end comment and the FA yells "That's enough, you aren't getting on my plane!" and they haul him back up to the gate.

I also saw a bunch of people deported getting on Turkish flights. The cops/FBI/spooks would bring them to the flight at the last minute and not leave until the plane pushed back and taxied away.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Cat Mattress posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF9n7ShkOJ0
I love how with that camera angle it nearly looks like the Airbus is landing vertically.

Man that plane has one wiggly empennage.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so loving future posted:

I was on a flight with a 20-something pretty severly autistic guy and his family. About 20 minutes out from our destination he started making little moaning noises, which gradually rose in volume until he was screaming and violently thrashing in his seat. His family was sitting next to him, and all gathered round and tried to talk him down. Unfortunately they had to talk down one of the flight attendants too, who at the height of panic, literally called out down the aisle to no one in particular "Call 911!". This was met with a lot of :rolleyes: from the family "Lady, he's autistic, calm down."

Funtimes, especially on a crack-of-dawn flight.

I've been on flights where people had seizures and the flight attendants just got on the PA and asked for any doctors on the plane to hit their call button. That airline must have some pretty poor FA training - medical emergencies and evacuations are like their entire job (legally anyways)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

hobbesmaster posted:

I've been on flights where people had seizures and the flight attendants just got on the PA and asked for any doctors on the plane to hit their call button. That airline must have some pretty poor FA training - medical emergencies and evacuations are like their entire job (legally anyways)

Except that it's not. They can provide basic first aid but that's about it. Anything more serious they either defer to a medical professional who might be onboard, or (and often as well as) patching through to a company doctor on the ground to give the captain the information he or she needs to either continue the flight or divert.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah but they aren't trained to administer anti-seizure drugs through IM or IV injection. Pretty much everything in the emergency medical kit requires medical training to administer, outside of things like glucose and nitroglycerin that the patient can administer themselves.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's their entire job in the same way that getting fire extinguisher training (P.A.S.S.! It works!) makes you a firefighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Airlines contract with StatMD or Medlink to talk to a doctor while in the air regardless of geographic location. Over the US they can call over the vhf radio or if they're over water they can call on hf. Flights with satcom can do their own thing and call directly.