Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Pizdec posted:

There's been a couple of times. And there's always an Ood. There's always the goddamn Ood.

Which always irked me because the Ood aren't exactly the socializing type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Or maybe its the same Ood embarked on an intergalactic adventure that we'll no doubt get the chance to learn more about in an upcoming radio serial.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

lifts cats over head posted:

Which always irked me because the Ood aren't exactly the socializing type.

they're there to wipe the floors

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well that sure was something.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Angela Christine posted:

Titles are mostly kinda dumb. Except for Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. That one delivered exactly what was on the tin.

and Gridlock was primarily about a traffic jam!
but other than that, yeah, Doctor Who episode titles can be pretty abstract. Like, Hide, for example, is the most non sequitur of titles.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Talk about a missed opportunity to get Craig Ferguson onto the show at last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkBIqTmIzRI

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Ms Boods posted:

Talk about a missed opportunity to get Craig Ferguson onto the show at last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkBIqTmIzRI

It's going to take a long, long time to make up for literal decades of "[something] of [the monsters/setting/death]"

TWAAANG!

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Snake dude swerving around the star wars cantina on a segway under a cloak was unintentionally hilarious. And in the UNIT scenes I was pleasantly distracted by the fact that saving the world was matter-of-factly in the hands of three women when suddenly a new antagonist appears and hey, also a woman. Hopefully something that will continue to become less remarkable over time.

Also, it seemed like Peter Capaldi was actually playing guitar in those scenes, it's usually pretty obvious when somebody's miming. Wasn't he the guitarist in a punk band with Craig Ferguson?

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
It was called The Magician's Apprentice because clearly young Davros was a student at Hogwarts

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Terry Grunthouse posted:

It was called The Magician's Apprentice because clearly young Davros was a student at Hogwarts

And a Hufflepuff no less. Potato.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
People who aren't following British politics today are missing out

One Swell Foop posted:

Also, it seemed like Peter Capaldi was actually playing guitar in those scenes, it's usually pretty obvious when somebody's miming. Wasn't he the guitarist in a punk band with Craig Ferguson?

It was him playing the guitar. Also,

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

drat, I really didn't like that episode. Maybe part 2 will fix it, but drat, that was one hell of a mess. Someone said earlier it felt more like a RTD episode, and they were totally right.

- The planes have frozen! How will we-oh, Missy unfroze them. Alright.
- Snake guy was pretty terrible. The "reveal" was decent, but just watching him every time he talked was awful.
- So the Doctor is looking for a book shop, ends up on Skaro, comes across young Davros and leaves him for dead, which Davros now remembers because now it's happened, and I assume he got out of there some other way. Now the Doctor, after witnessing the "death" of Clara and Missy, goes back again (never mind he doesn't have access to the Tardis at the moment to actually do that), and plans on killing young Davros while yelling exterminate? What? (This is one fact I am willing to forgive if it's explained next week, but at the moment this makes no drat sense.) But we're clearly lead to believe the Doctor is about to murder that scared kid, which...just no. (Again, though, I'm ready for this to be fixed next week. Maybe he's actually exterminating the hand mines, and is going to save his friends by being kind to kid Davros or something.)
- I don't believe for one second Clara and Missy are dead, so that fell really flat to me.
- I remember thinking when I saw the preview that I can't wait to see how they work the guitar in. Turns out they just threw it in there. Alright, I guess. I did laugh my rear end off at the tank, though.
- Clara going from super pissed at Missy for killing those agents to totally cool working with her was off putting. Like, the two of them at the top of the castle smiling felt weird, coming right after the deaths.

Just a really weird episode, and not in a good way.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have to say, the Magician's Apprentice was a ballsy episode for a series debut. Not the best idea, but ballsy.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think people have gotten used to single episodes, surely every cliffhanger before wasn't greeted with "well they're OBVIOUSLY going to survive this :rolleyes:"

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Just a few things

The handmines were very striking but I think they are mainly designed to strike terror into the hearts of the enemies.

I think Unit either needs to be redeemed, or shown to not be up to the task, whether that is due to poor leadership or being outclassed I can't say.
Jaye Griffiths can play a strong wilful character quite well but she just came across as an older version of Osgood. Unit should actually have a professional scientific adviser, rather than a gurning slapstick fucktard like Lee Evans or a cosplayer like Osgood.

I liked Missy being an evil bitch when she wiped out the Unit bouncers though.

Does the Doctor know he's had a Auton for a companion a few years now? Did Danny Pink embrace death when he realised that he was going out with a realdoll?

Those medieval peasant typed looked far too healthy to be medieval. Obviously the Doctor brought some anachronistic medicine with him, though all the ancient peoples in BBC dramas look too healthy. I think the BBC needs to round up tramps, offer them meals and a place to sleep then shove them in front of the camera when they next film a scene set in ye old times.
That entire scene with the tank and guitar was cringeworthy, the well fed crowd shouting "dude" made me want to vomit, it came across as a skit from Children In Need or some other type of embarrassing tripe.

The Daleks are sadistic cats, I liked it. Julian Bleach was once again great as Davros.

Not too sure about snake guy though, his delivery was too comedic and his motion didn't inspire dread. Anyone else think he was the Mara when the reveal occurred?

Hopefully part two will have more Davros and the Daleks and less of Unit and Clara.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

thrawn527 posted:

- I don't believe for one second Clara and Missy are dead, so that fell really flat to me.

Until next week, I am going to believe they're dead, the TARDIS is destroyed, and from now on the show will be about the Doctor and Davros having adventures in The Chase time machine with Bad Math Dalek. :colbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

I think people have gotten used to single episodes, surely every cliffhanger before wasn't greeted with "well they're OBVIOUSLY going to survive this :rolleyes:"

The best cliffhangers tended not to put the Doctor or the companions in mortal danger (although there are some - seeing them all being gunned down in Caves[/], for example) but rather do something shocking or dramatic in the context of the story. The countdown in Inferno is a fine example.

That's beside the point, though - it's a question of the stakes at the end of this episode being so impossibly large in the context of the series that there is absolutely zero way that they can't retcon it in some fashion and still be making the programme [i]Doctor Who
. So you know the retcon is coming and that everything you just watched is ultimately meaningless even within its own context.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sad King Billy posted:

I think Unit either needs to be redeemed, or shown to not be up to the task, whether that is due to poor leadership or being outclassed I can't say.

UNIT started out incredibly competent (there's a few instances of the Brigadier asking the Doctor for advice, the Doctor listing off a load of things they can do and the Brigadier going "duh we've already done all of that, we want to know if you have any sci fi mumbo jumbo to help", most notably in The Ambassadors of Death) but it's hard to write an ultimately competent and incredibly pragmatic semi-friend/adversary character in every story and so UNIT became "comedy guys who shoot people" very quickly. UNIT has needed to be redeemed for decades at this point.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Her cadence and tone and body language when saying this confused the gently caress out of me, she is 100% acting as if she's a stand up and has just told a joke and is waiting for laughter that never comes. Also applause that comes very half heartedly :v:

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

UNIT started out incredibly competent (there's a few instances of the Brigadier asking the Doctor for advice, the Doctor listing off a load of things they can do and the Brigadier going "duh we've already done all of that, we want to know if you have any sci fi mumbo jumbo to help", most notably in The Ambassadors of Death) but it's hard to write an ultimately competent and incredibly pragmatic semi-friend/adversary character in every story and so UNIT became "comedy guys who shoot people" very quickly. UNIT has needed to be redeemed for decades at this point.

They did have some good moments in "The Poison Sky", they have backslid since then though.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I still can't get over how poo poo that "medieval" setting was

You'd think a time traveler would be irritated by naff historical reenactments so I choose to believe that the Doctor's dying wish was to crash Medieval Banquet and annoy the tourists

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Explain, please.

I am aware of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBpQJ98rR4o

Is there more?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Ratings from the good old US of A: 2 million people watched, 1.1 of which was in the coveted 18-49 demographic. For reference only two channels got higher ratings in that demographic during that timeslot. For the record, those were the college football game between Alabama and Mississippi, and the final episode of Sábado Gigante. Pretty good for a channel that's still in standard definition where I live.

Ratings for Australia: an average of 653,000 people watched in the five major capitol cities (I don't know what this means).

AI was 84 in the UK, around last year's average.

This has been your ratings/AI report, which I was mostly right about before the premier aired.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Tarquinn posted:

Explain, please.

david cameron hosed a dead pig.

no joke.

or possibly just tea bagged it (the source of the story just says 'private parts' into the pig's mouth). when he was at oxford. at a party where that sort of debauchery happened amongst the toff students. this has been said in an unauthorised biography by someone from his own party who's thrown a massive strop because donating millions didn't buy him the government position he wanted.
but can't get all that nuance to fit the 'bring the prime minister down with six words' thing.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Cerv posted:

david cameron hosed a dead pig.

no joke.

or possibly just tea bagged it (the source of the story just says 'private parts' into the pig's mouth). when he was at oxford. at a party where that sort of debauchery happened amongst the toff students. this has been said in an unauthorised biography by someone from his own party who's thrown a massive strop because donating millions didn't buy him the government position he wanted.
but can't get all that nuance to fit the 'bring the prime minister down with six words' thing.

:frogon:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The best cliffhangers tended not to put the Doctor or the companions in mortal danger (although there are some - seeing them all being gunned down in Caves, for example) but rather do something shocking or dramatic in the context of the story. The countdown in Inferno is a fine example.

I agree.

Take the cliffhanger Moffat wrote for Time of the Angels: it's not "Oh no! The Angels are advancing! The Doctor's about to die!" because we know he'll survive somehow. Maybe that cleric guy will bite it, maaaaybe River will too, but he and Amy are definitely going to survive. But when the cliffhanger is "Why did the Doctor shoot out the globe thing that made the lights?" then you've got something to chew on all week...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cannot get over how awesome Peter Capaldi is with his shades and electric guitar and goddamn tank.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I agree.

Take the cliffhanger Moffat wrote for Time of the Angels: it's not "Oh no! The Angels are advancing! The Doctor's about to die!" because we know he'll survive somehow. Maybe that cleric guy will bite it, maaaaybe River will too, but he and Amy are definitely going to survive. But when the cliffhanger is "Why did the Doctor shoot out the globe thing that made the lights?" then you've got something to chew on all week...

Well this cliffhanger isn't really "Clara and Missy, who have access to Chekhov's Teleport that we just saw fifteen minutes ago and which the dialogue made a specific point of describing, appear to have been disintegrated! Oh no!" so much as it's "The Doctor appears to be about to murder a child and possibly wreck all of history," which I think falls firmly into your second category.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

That whole episode was a giant mess, but an incredibly enjoyable one.

200%. It was ridiculously cheesy and really, really fun.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

minimalist posted:

I still can't get over how poo poo that "medieval" setting was

You'd think a time traveler would be irritated by naff historical reenactments so I choose to believe that the Doctor's dying wish was to crash Medieval Banquet and annoy the tourists

This is why everyone was okay with him shouting 'dude'.

The big dude was basically five minutes away from going "Sir? We've put up with your antics long enough. I'm calling the police."

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

One Swell Foop posted:

It was him playing the guitar. He even got to go and choose which guitar he wanted to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31b5MewfofY

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
somehow that scene worked out okay for me, but Doctor has always been a somewhat ridiculous character so this was never going to be like Road Rallying Captain Picard.

And after having an entire season of the Doctor being a big bellyaching grumpy guts it's nice to have him being a fun character again instead even if this is overcompensating a little. Still not half as absurd as like half the poo poo eleven got up to, and eleven was my favorite anyway.

(come to think playing Pretty Woman for Clara might be somewhat of a declaration that this season's going to be different since he spent half the last season calling her ugly but that might be reasing too far into things)

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 22, 2015

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Acne Rain posted:

(come to think playing Pretty Woman for Clara might be somewhat of a declaration that this season's going to be different since he spent half the last season calling her ugly but that might be reasing too far into things)

I figured that was directed at the Master, myself.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Nah that was for Clara. He plays "Hey Mickey" for Missy when she walks out.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Android Blues posted:

I figured that was directed at the Master, myself.

I think it's intentionally ambiguous if it's for missy, clara, or both, but I'd really like to think that it's not for Missy.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I think the read of 12 as an inversion of 11, ie. a young man in an old man's body, is pretty accurate. I mean, yeah, the Doctor's still old, but the way he acts is pretty drat teenager if you think about it. Obsessed with brutal honesty (while actually lying a lot anyway), wrapped up in a serious conundrum about whether he's a good person, doesn't like to be hugged. and then he comes in riding a tank, playing an electric guitar. it's definitely like a teenager coming out of their depressive mood by going in completely the opposite direction. also, his current wardrobe seems more like something a teenager would wear.
When you think about it, he is kinda young, because he's on a whole new cycle of regenerations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Or this is the Time Lord equivalent of a mid-life crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
A quick idea I had after seeing this episode:

At the end of last season when Missy told the Doctor where Gallifrey was, he went to the coordinates and there was nothing there. Is it possible it was there and was under the same kind of Technobabble hidden shield that Skaro was under? It would be just like Missy to send the Doctor to find Gallifrey, telling him exactly where it is and then he couldn't find it when it is right in front of his eyes.

• Locked thread