Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

I don't think I've ever felt as much contempt as I do for this man.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Winkie01 posted:

Walker is dropping out

:byewhore:

I'm seriously surprised that he didn't try to stick around for a few more debates. Our prayers have been answered.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Here's the video, if anyone's curious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPfb0FwZneo

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So his speech was interesting because he essentially is calling for other candidates to drop out so trump can be stopped.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I mentioned this in the USPol thread, but I think it bears repeating here.

According to Joementum, Walker hasn't filed anything with the FEC because he entered the race after the last filing deadline and the next filing deadline (which he'll have to file for, despite the fact that he's dropping out) is later this month. Is anyone else thinking that the "big story" that Walker is supposedly avoiding by dropping out now could be something along the lines of "his campaign is deeply in debt" or something?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Caros posted:

Damnit. Now I have to buy a new secondary monitor. And somehow get this glass out of my hand.

If it's any consolation, this guy just made pharma reform an issue that is again in the public spotlight, and he's a hilariously evil, cartoonish villain who obviously has only his own greedy self interest in mind. This can only be good for reform in the long run.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I mentioned this in the USPol thread, but I think it bears repeating here.

According to Joementum, Walker hasn't filed anything with the FEC because he entered the race after the last filing deadline and the next filing deadline (which he'll have to file for, despite the fact that he's dropping out) is later this month. Is anyone else thinking that the "big story" that Walker is supposedly avoiding by dropping out now could be something along the lines of "his campaign is deeply in debt" or something?

Seems pretty likely, especially because the people that were financing him recently and publicly started financing other candidates.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Trump's street fighter victory screen quote

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So his speech was interesting because he essentially is calling for other candidates to drop out so trump can be stopped.

Did he mention Trump by name? Also, which candidate does he expect to drop out at this point that will end up donating a substantial amount of support to an establishment, non-Trump candidate?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I told you all Walker wasn't going anywhere, but nobody listened

Really happy that this loser isn't running anymore, regardless.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

This motherfucker.

Jesus Christ that motherfucker needs his wealth and his goddamned blood redistributed.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Walker wants the scrubs like him to drop out so they can finally get Trump out of the race.

With money/support consolidated in a few candidates Trump will be in deep deep trouble.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

fade5 posted:

Well those "hundreds of millions of dollars" didn't seem to help Walker much, did they?
I wasn't exaggerating; Bush's Super PAC literally has at least $103,000,000.

Walker's has $20,000,000, and it has spent just as much as Bush's without much of an effect.

It would be really shocking if the primary didn't come down to Bush, Rubio, and Kasich; but then again, I've been thinking Walker would be the nominee for a long time, so what do I know? (Unless Mair's inference of some "very bad story" scandal has some weight.)

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Is anyone else thinking that the "big story" that Walker is supposedly avoiding by dropping out now could be something along the lines of "his campaign is deeply in debt" or something?
That, or something related to one of the many investigations into his gubernatorial campaign that were going on for a while before the Walker-appointed state supreme court stopped them. Could the feds have taken up any investigations of him?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Joementum posted:

Yes! In fact, this makes it even less likely that Trump will get delegates. Any winnowing of the field is to the disadvantage of Trump.

Jeb! and Rubio are already reported to be scooping up Walker donors and staff, which is to be expected. It'll be interesting to see if any of the second tier candidates get hot coming out of this.

But in the end, this is another data point to suggest that the normal rules of primary campaign are still in force. Walker ran out of resources and had to drop out despite vast Super PAC funding.

Oh no! Trump should be so afraid! Most of Walker's voters will switch to another establishment candidate.

What was he polling at, again?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

William Bear posted:

Oh no! Trump should be so afraid! Most of Walker's voters will switch to another establishment candidate.

What was he polling at, again?
Also, isn't there the possibility of that backfiring, with Trump getting more support if it looks like "the establishment" is trying to take him out of the race early?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Doctor Candiru posted:

That, or something related to one of the many investigations into his gubernatorial campaign that were going on for a while before the Walker-appointed state supreme court stopped them. Could the feds have taken up any investigations of him?

I thought about that, but I think that's a Big Story that he can't dodge by dropping out. No one gives a poo poo about the financial difficulties of a failed candidate, after all (see: Carly Fiorina never bothering to pay people from her Senate campaign until a few weeks before entering the Presidential race), but a federal investigation is news whether you're a candidate or not.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

AceRimmer posted:

Also, isn't there the possibility of that backfiring, with Trump getting more support if it looks like "the establishment" is trying to take him out of the race early?

or it backfires because it looks like Trump has a chance to legitimately be the nominee. Sort of like how Obama's support really took off after his performance in Iowa and NH.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

I can't wait. Neither can the old racist who loves him some unions but hates Muslims and blacks.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Louisgod posted:

What app was used to make his face look all misshapen and fat?

"Camera"

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Mr Hootington posted:

I can't wait. Neither can the old racist who loves him some unions but hates Muslims and blacks.

Hey, this is the picture next to 'Sunk Cost Fallacy' in my dictionary

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Oh Freep, never stop being Freep.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Senf posted:

Seems pretty likely, especially because the people that were financing him recently and publicly started financing other candidates.

His campaign (and his PAC) also spent a ton of money around both debates, hoping that his performances would elevate him. He went over like a wet fart in church both times, and they just ran out of cash. He's carrying $15,000 of debt on a 27-percent interest credit card, and more than $100,000 in student loan debt for his sons.

Doctor Candiru posted:

1) The investigation was stopped by a federal judge, not the state Supreme Court.

2) Our Supreme Court is elected, not appointed.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 21, 2015

NotJesus
Jan 17, 2007

Mirthless posted:

Trump's street fighter victory screen quote
You must poll at least higher than Rick loving Santorum to stand a chance.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Thump! posted:

This motherfucker.

Jesus Christ that motherfucker needs his wealth and his goddamned blood redistributed.

Maybe what he has done will be so odious as to force change?

Still we need guillotine asap.

NotJesus
Jan 17, 2007

Montasque posted:

Walker wants the scrubs like him to drop out so they can finally get Trump out of the race.
Sacrificing oneself for the greater good: something Republicans are well-known for.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Jeb says he is surprised walker dropped out and that him and Perry were good governors.

He also sounds angry and very populist.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

NotJesus posted:

Sacrificing oneself for the greater good: something Republicans are well-known for.

Yeah, Walker is retarded.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Jeb wants a budget amendment, line item veto power, and lobbiest have to say who they are letting with.

Jeb stole the take money away if senators don't show up thing. At least I though someone else said that.

He is wearing a shirt you can see through so I can see the whit t short he is wearing.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

NotJesus posted:

In the article someone posted earlier about his '06 defeat he used the interim to try to shore up support and then won his next election.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Hootington posted:

Jeb wants a budget amendment, line item veto power, and lobbiest have to say who they are letting with.

Jeb stole the take money away if senators don't show up thing. At least I though someone else said that.

He is wearing a shirt you can see through so I can see the whit t short he is wearing.

Wut

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Hot take:

If the government shutdown goes through, the optics are going to make the GOP establishment look awful and allow Trump, or really any outsider candidate like Carson, the opportunity to capitalize. "Why are we not funding the government over this sole issue and hurting the Vets in the process?" and so on.

NotJesus
Jan 17, 2007
So that's where that one guy went!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
FWIW, my guess about the "big story" is staff in-fighting. When a campaign is going down the tubes there's always staff in-fighting and it makes sense that a former staffer would hear about it. And if that former staffer in a politcal media consultant, they would regard in-fighting as a "big story".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Did he make one for the former Perry supporter too?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

So, what, Secretary of Labor?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Lots of errors in my post.

To anyone in general. What does Jeb mean we he talks about talking America's animal spirits?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Woah, if true! According to a Cruz fundraising email, his campaign needs cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Lote posted:

Hot take:

If the government shutdown goes through, the optics are going to make the GOP establishment look awful and allow Trump, or really any outsider candidate like Carson, the opportunity to capitalize. "Why are we not funding the government over this sole issue and hurting the Vets in the process?" and so on.

Actually the base really wants the government shut down, so if there is no shut down it will help the outsiders.

• Locked thread