Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

mysterious frankie posted:

I watched The Visitor on Prime last night and... I still don't know. I think it would pair great with The Apple, but otherwise... I just... dont know.

The Visitor is so crazy it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Jose Oquendo posted:

The Visitor is so crazy it's good.

It's the kind of movie late career pk dick would describe in a book. It's supremely weird and the IMDb pages description doesn't prepare you for what you're getting into.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I love The Visitor so much. You rarely see a villain, especially a child villain, that just seems to be having a great time being evil.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Is We Were Soldiers a cool movie like Saving Private Ryan and stuff? Or is it a bit of a tearjerker?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I liked the ending of The Visitor, since it seems like John Huston will kill the girl but he simply says "I can't kill children." He has no problem slaughtering adults, though.

The funniest thing about the movie are all the majestic, sweeping skyline shots of... Atlanta.

And it has great music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh3SFgOql3I

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Fonzarelli posted:

Is We Were Soldiers a cool movie like Saving Private Ryan and stuff? Or is it a bit of a tearjerker?

I've only seen it once when it came out at the cinema, don't remember it being a tearjerker think it's more Black Hawk Down than anything else.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Bioalchemist posted:

I've only seen it once when it came out at the cinema, don't remember it being a tearjerker think it's more Black Hawk Down than anything else.

Yeah, it's sort of a middle ground between Blackhawk Down and Private Ryan. It has some emotional elements TELL MY WIFE I LOVE HER and is more character focused than BHD. But it's more about the battle and brothers-in-arms. If I recall, it also treats the North Vietnamese as a respected/worthy adversary rather than the faceless, backstabbing Wehrmacht of Private Ryan or unwashed masses of BHD.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What I like about The Visitor- well there are a few things (that opening monologue is wonderful in its craziness), but I like that on paper, it's just "The Omen with Chariots of the Gods instead of Revelations", but in practice it ends up being this entirely weird original thing. Like I'm not even sure how it manages that.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Fonzarelli posted:

It's a hamfisted cliched tearjerker. I'd avoid it.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

LogisticEarth posted:

Yeah, it's sort of a middle ground between Blackhawk Down and Private Ryan. It has some emotional elements TELL MY WIFE I LOVE HER and is more character focused than BHD. But it's more about the battle and brothers-in-arms. If I recall, it also treats the North Vietnamese as a respected/worthy adversary rather than the faceless, backstabbing Wehrmacht of Private Ryan or unwashed masses of BHD.

That's kind of ironic, since the battle it's based off was so lopsided that the higher ups thought "Hey we're really freaking good at killing these fellas." That's why for rest of the war they decided the best way to fight it was turn kids into death squads and the only thing that mattered was body count. Then you wind up with stuff like Hamburger Hill where they would throw thousands into a meat grinder to take some bit of land, but the second they were successful it was meaningless to the brass since there were no more Vietnamese there to kill.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
What always struck me as funny about We Were Soldiers is that the moments critics bemoaned as cliche actually happened. The book is more worth your time, though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fonzarelli posted:

If you like war movies it is a decent one. I think like girth brooks said there is some cliche stuff but the fact of the matter is it was real and actually happened. I thought it gave a nice perspective of the disconnect between the levels of command and the reality on the ground. It was a bit reminiscent of Black Hawk Down in that it showed somewhat how the hubris of being technologically superior could still be defeated at least for a time. And like others mentioned it gave a nice point of view from the North Vietnamese side of things and how they also wanted to go toe to toe with a new american enemy in their country and see how they could manage.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I wasn't really trying to knock the movie for that exactly, or mean any disrespect to the Vietnamese or anything like that. I honestly have no real opinion on the movie since I haven't seen it over a decade and remember very little about it. I just thought it was kind of funny since the attitude people at the time took away from the battle was basically the exact opposite and it had some rather dire ramifications.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I wasn't really trying to knock the movie for that exactly, or mean any disrespect to the Vietnamese or anything like that. I honestly have no real opinion on the movie since I haven't seen it over a decade and remember very little about it. I just thought it was kind of funny since the attitude people at the time took away from the battle was basically the exact opposite and it had some rather dire ramifications.

I was agreeing with you, might not have come across that way. Anyway, I think it's a good enough movie to merit watching, far worse things one could waste their time with.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I just watched a bunch of Nicolas Cage movies. The best one on there now besides Lord of War is probably Snake Eyes, there are a couple of shots in it that are so long and complex I had to rewind them to see where they started. Even if you don't like the movie the scene where he walks into the stadium is awesome and basically why they did the whole thing. The Outsider (?) is almost worth watching because Cages character loses an eye part way through and just squints his eye for (most of) the rest of it

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

I just watched a bunch of Nicolas Cage movies. The best one on there now besides Lord of War is probably Snake Eyes, there are a couple of shots in it that are so long and complex I had to rewind them to see where they started. Even if you don't like the movie the scene where he walks into the stadium is awesome and basically why they did the whole thing. The Outsider (?) is almost worth watching because Cages character loses an eye part way through and just squints his eye for (most of) the rest of it

I saw snake eyes at a drive in and can confirm it owns, but also drive ins are the best format to see any movie. I want to buy a drive in and somehow hook Netflix up to it. Drive in.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Inspector Hound posted:

I think Bad Lieutenant: New Orleans is my favorite Nic Cage performance.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
He's probably at his best in Adaptation or Raising Arizona. But Wild at Heart is my favorite. He's just so... Cage-ey.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

wafflesnsegways posted:

He's probably at his best in Adaptation or Raising Arizona. But Wild at Heart is my favorite. He's just so... Cage-ey.

This, times a million.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Snake Eyes is a misunderstood masterpiece.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
8mm, bitches

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
8mm is gross.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
8MM is like Kidz Bop does Hardcore. It's such a late 90's yawn at sleaze that it's almost cute. You couldn't honestly say 8MM is sleazier than, say, Sliver.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

8MM is like Kidz Bop does Hardcore. It's such a late 90's yawn at sleaze that it's almost cute. You couldn't honestly say 8MM is sleazier than, say, Sliver.

Plus how do you have Nic Cage do a take on George C Scott's "TURN IT OFF! TURN IT OFFFF!" meltdown where all he does is just kind of sigh and bury his face in his hands instead of at least giving some decent Cage Rage.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, he's a little too subdued in that one. It's like the volume's mixed down on all his scenes, or he's so hung over he doesn't want anyone to talk too loud and has shades on indoors.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

wafflesnsegways posted:

Vampire's Kiss

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

wafflesnsegways posted:

All movies should begin like Raising Arizona or Wild at Heart.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Catch up with season 1 of The Knick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMiEk5d-ckI HBOnow's got it up until this year's season premiere in october. Then join us in the season 2 TVIV thread! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742584 There's like three of us in there and it's a pretty big room.

To those not familiar, The Knick is basically a 9 hour long, ten chapter Steven Soderbergh science fiction movie set in 1900 New York. Great sound mixing, great production design, etc etc. Like Blue-Ant-era William Gibson meets Deadwood.

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 23, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's Sci-Fi?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Coaaab posted:

All movies should begin like Raising Arizona or Wild at Heart.

With Nicolas Cage going to jail?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

With Nicolas Cage going to jail?

Art imitates life

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

morestuff posted:

Double-post, and mostly info that I posted before, but this looks like this is the final Netflix list. A few things that weren't listed on the previous dump:

Zathura (2005)

Disappointingly, Netflix put up the censored European version of Zathura.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What could possibly be censored from Zathura? Isn't it PG?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

It's not. It's about a drug addicted surgeon in NYC.

It's good though!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Franchescanado posted:

What could possibly be censored from Zathura? Isn't it PG?

In the uncensored version, the little boy tries to set Kristen Stewart on fire, which, understandably, is the only reason to watch Zathura.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

The amazing hauntological score by Cliff Martinez is a big contribution to that feel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f12M_O5irkg But, I'd consider it sci-fi. At least, it's definitely fiction about science! The exact mechanics of how a period piece manages to be about "the future" are kinda thematic spoiler-y, but Isaac Asimov has it pretty clear:

Asimov posted:

Science fiction can be defined as that branch of literature which deals with the reaction of human beings to changes in science and technology.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wow, you don't see "hauntological" every day.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Synth-based dont quite describe it; although it's obviously anachronistic modern electronic music, the score is based around around a software synth patch keyed to sound like dated 80s poo poo. An aggressively Brechtian creative call from Soderbergh that I think adds a lot to the feel of the show.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

edit: Nevermind someone just stole my account from Germany. Cool.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

pahuyuth posted:

8mm, bitches

this.