Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Buy a V6 rather than the RT, the RT is a gas hog for performance on a car where performance doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there any relation between the 2016 ILX and 2016 Civic or has Honda decided to make two separate platforms?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tab8715 posted:

Is there any relation between the 2016 ILX and 2016 Civic or has Honda decided to make two separate platforms?

The chassis is basically the same and made in the same factory. The engine is from the civic si. The dual clutch transmission is ILX only for now.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

nm posted:

The chassis is basically the same and made in the same factory. The engine is from the civic si. The dual clutch transmission is ILX only for now.

Hilariously, the 2016 Civic gets Apple CarPlay but the 2016 ILX does not?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

alakath posted:

Re: the new Focus, we felt like the backseat was super cramped when we sat it in at an auto show. But we should probably look at it again; people seem to love them.

My car is the old 2005 wagon and I always warn passengers that the car was designed for soccer moms who really, really hate their kids. The front seats are super comfortable but the back is a lovely place to ride on a road trip. I never have to ride back there, so it's fine. The way the seats fold forward is a bit dumb, though. They won't lie anywhere close to flat, so you end up with this weird angled surface to haul lumber or Ikea furniture on. It makes loading anything that's long really difficult because the combination of fabric friction and the angle means you have to lift at the same time as push, ultimately aiming whatever you're carrying so that it will fly through your windshield in an accident.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Pixelante posted:

the combination of fabric friction and the angle means you have to lift at the same time as push, ultimately aiming whatever you're carrying so that it will fly through your windshield in an accident.
giving yourself a hernia in the process.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X with 74,000km. What mechanical issues would I have to look forward to? What should I watch out for when I go to look at one? Is it only the STI ones that have a weak transmission? What's the upper range of mileage on these things? (eg, RX-7's are around 130k km, old volvos are around 300, typical hondas and toyotas around around 250ish.) When did hey start putting CVT's in these things?

Uses are: standard family hauler, wife is tired of driving my GTI around and wants something with a high H-point.
Must haves: reliability, 87 octane (so no XT), the best compact suv we can afford

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hello thread. Looking for some advice from you fine automotive aficionados.

I need/want a truck. I infrequently need to haul minor loads. I also need a relatively small vehicle that isn't going to kill me on gas or parking space. Anyway, here's my template before I go too far with my wishlist:

(I'm Canadian and all figures are in CAD and KMs)

Proposed Budget: Max 5k, but I'd rather spend in the 3k range
New or Used: used, obviously.
Body Style: compact pick-up truck. Ideally 4 doors but I could manage with 2 (I'd like to have a couple seats in the back but it really isn't a deal breaker if it only seats 2-3).
How will you be using the car?: Getting to and from work. Occasionally hauling small loads (tools, boxes, minor construction supplies). Moving my stupid friends and stupid family who move all the stupid time.
What aspects are most important to you?: I'm looking for a balance of (1)price, (2)fuel efficiency, (3)size, are (4)reliability. 1- see above 2- I don't drive a ton but my commute is about 20 mins and once a week or so I drive the 65km to visit family and friends in the old homestead. Plus the occasional camping or cottage trip a few hours outside the city 3- I live in an apartment building in the city and need something compact and versatile. 4- I'm looking to get 3-5 years of medium to light duty out of it

As far as compacts go I've looked at Ford Rangers, Chevy Colorados, Dodge Dakotas, and Toyota Tacomas. I'm planning on looking at a Colorado and a Ranger this weekend (though I'm not planning on buying anything until I've done much more research)and have been checking prices around town to get a feel for what I can afford. I'm looking at early to mid 2000s and would prefer something with ~150k or less on the odometer (or ~95k miles).

My question is this: what trucks should I avoid? do any compacts stand out? in general is it good/bad to get this type of truck for the type of use I describe above?

Once I narrow down my options to one or two models I'll have follow up questions regarding major work to be done, known problems, etc., though I'll come armed with some google knowledge and try not to waste your time with obvious ones.

Thanks in advance.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

My understanding is that the 2016 ILX is still going to run on the 2015 Civic platform, hence no CarPlay etc.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Posting a request for a friend:

Proposed Budget: 8,000-11,000

New or Used: Used

Body Style: 4 door Midsize/Fullsize Sedan

How will you be using the car?: Daily driving from point A to point B with occasional long trips (a few times a year) Luxury features are nice, but not required.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, MPG, Would strongly prefer lower mileage (ideally 70,000 or below, at the max at least 90,000 or below)

I'm looking for a toyota or Honda if possible, but I know it could be hard to get. Looking for recommendations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tenasscity posted:

Posting a request for a friend:

Proposed Budget: 8,000-11,000

Body Style: 4 door Midsize/Fullsize Sedan

How will you be using the car?: Daily driving from point A to point B with occasional long trips (a few times a year) Luxury features are nice, but not required.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, MPG, Would strongly prefer lower mileage (ideally 70,000 or below, at the max at least 90,000 or below)

I'm looking for a toyota or Honda if possible, but I know it could be hard to get. Looking for recommendations.

Gen II Prius. A Prius with "low miles" is one with 150k or fewer. Also technically it's a hatchback and not a sedan, but maybe that's OK?

An $11k Honda or Toyota of any kind will almost definitely have 100K+ miles on it, unless it's got serious damage/a rebuilt title (do not buy a salvage title vehicle).

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
How does the Camry hybrid compare to the Prius on reliability? I know it's like 5 mpg down or so, but if it is as powertrain-trouble-free as the Prius I think that would check all his boxes, except maybe mileage, depending on the local market.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

VideoTapir posted:

How does the Camry hybrid compare to the Prius on reliability? I know it's like 5 mpg down or so, but if it is as powertrain-trouble-free as the Prius I think that would check all his boxes, except maybe mileage, depending on the local market.

I'm willing to bet they are the same powertrain (or very very similar)

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
Proposed Budget: I would prefer to stay >$10k
Body Style: Depends on below
How will you be using the car?: I am a single guy that likes to go hiking. I am currently leasing a Scion FR-S (not one of my best choices) and have been annoyed at the difficult it has in snow and on service roads. That being said, I don't mind the limited space (though having enough seats for 4 people would be ideal for trips). I am looking for a car that can handle these crappy roads/conditions but that is not built for family trips (don't need the storage or seating) or hauling anything. I will be commuting in this car so gas mileage and reliability are pretty important to me. As for luxuries, if I can get a aux jack or usb then I will be fine with whatever.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

MustardFacial posted:

Camry's heavier, could impact reliability. It is hard to find reliability info for the Camry that breaks out the hybrid from the non-hybrids.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

The design is roughly the same with the planetary gearset and transmission but the actual gas engine and electric motor are different.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Budget: < $28k
Condition: New
Style: Any
Use: City commute in snowy Canada, occasional highway travel for long distances (up to 800km).
What's important: I need to fit comfortably (I'm 6'4"), needs to be reliable, safe, good on ice and snow, last many years (up to 10), and is an automatic.

My first thought was to get a Subaru, but the Impreza with a nice trim is close to my top budget and is a little cramped to sit in. It hits all my other criteria and happens to be very fun to drive for me (I'm coming from an old F-150). I like Ford, but hear bad things about the focus. I've also consider the Honda Fit but haven't tested it yet. An SUV would probably work as well, but would have to be a low end one to fit the budget and I'm not familiar with the current offerings.

Some wants, but not needs, are: fun to drive, doesn't look awful (Kia Soul, Ford Flex etc.), good mileage, AWD/4x4, nice tec features. Thanks.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

New question:

Are any compact trucks from ~2000-~2010 highly problematic? Are any known for their resiliency?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
FYI, anybody considering a hybrid owes it to themselves to test drive the Ford C-Max. We drove one yesterday and were highly impressed by it. We drove a '14 SEL Energi.

Pros:
- 188hp and it felt like it
- Predictable, firm handling
- Great ride and road manners
- Incredibly comfortable interior
- Good driving position + visibility
- Lots of neat gizmos and gadgets
- Autopark was awesome

Cons:
- Not as good on the mpg as a Prius
- Rear hatch area tiny due to battery pack
- All the electronics and buttons and poo poo can be intimidating to people who don't love that stuff

We test drove a Subaru Crosstrek and Outback later on in the day. The Crosstrek had nice handling but the interior was garbage and it felt anemic. The Outback was much nice but goddamn that car is bigger than it looks; also I'm not sure how I feel about the CVT. Interior was better than the Crosstrek but the C-Max left me with a stronger impression of quality than either Subaru.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

JoelJoel posted:

New question:

Are any compact trucks from ~2000-~2010 highly problematic? Are any known for their resiliency?

They're all pretty simple / stout vehicles. The S10 might be the least so out of all of them, no idea about the Colorado / Canyon GMT355 trucks. The Ranger was basically the same from 1998 through the end - it got some styling refreshes here and there, and better engines in later years. I don't know what your options are going to be for a crew cab at a $5k price point, though.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

Camry's heavier, could impact reliability. It is hard to find reliability info for the Camry that breaks out the hybrid from the non-hybrids.
Consumer Reports breaks it down between the V6, I4 and hybrid, and they have good data. As it happens, the Camry hybrid one of their highest rated hybrids for reliability. Don't know if you can see it without getting around the paywall but here's their hybrid reliability breakdown.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

IOwnCalculus posted:

They're all pretty simple / stout vehicles. The S10 might be the least so out of all of them, no idea about the Colorado / Canyon GMT355 trucks. The Ranger was basically the same from 1998 through the end - it got some styling refreshes here and there, and better engines in later years. I don't know what your options are going to be for a crew cab at a $5k price point, though.

Thanks for the advise!

I've heard such mixed review on rangers that I'm tending to avoid them (people seem to rave or rant without much middle ground ime). I've seen a couple colorados and dakotas in my price range but are usually either really high km or have some major mechanical or body concerns.

Frankly I'm just looking for a bridge truck for the next 3-5 years that I can drive into the dirt. I'll probably end up just snapping up whatever cheap and doesn't look like it's about to fall apart.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SyHopeful posted:

FYI, anybody considering a hybrid owes it to themselves to test drive the Ford C-Max. We drove one yesterday and were highly impressed by it. We drove a '14 SEL Energi.

Pros:
- 188hp and it felt like it
- Predictable, firm handling
- Great ride and road manners
- Incredibly comfortable interior
- Good driving position + visibility
- Lots of neat gizmos and gadgets
- Autopark was awesome

Cons:
- Not as good on the mpg as a Prius
- Rear hatch area tiny due to battery pack
- All the electronics and buttons and poo poo can be intimidating to people who don't love that stuff

We test drove a Subaru Crosstrek and Outback later on in the day. The Crosstrek had nice handling but the interior was garbage and it felt anemic. The Outback was much nice but goddamn that car is bigger than it looks; also I'm not sure how I feel about the CVT. Interior was better than the Crosstrek but the C-Max left me with a stronger impression of quality than either Subaru.

Attention thread readers: Don't buy a C-Max.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Indeed. The "feeling" of quality is only a "feeling."
VWs also feel well built.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why not?

E: Reading around I haven't seen any glaring reasons not to. Some owners of 2013s, the first year, have reported some serious issues with it dying on them but the 2014-2015s don't seem to be anywhere near as problematic.

SyHopeful fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 22, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ford hasn't quite figured out how to make them reliable. It is like the only hybrid CR doesn't have a love affair with.

Seriously, feeling well built and being well built are two very different things.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

nm posted:

Ford hasn't quite figured out how to make them reliable. It is like the only hybrid CR doesn't have a love affair with.

Seriously, feeling well built and being well built are two very different things.

Yes, I know this. However CR's reports are paywalled and nobody ITT who has said "don't buy a C-Max" has given any specifics. Obviously we don't want to buy something that's going to be a reliability nightmare.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Has there been any word on Ford and CarPlay? I thought I heard they were introducing it on 2016 models, but it looks like it's just SYNC 3 so far.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Dumb new car financing question incoming!

I'm buying a 2016 MX-5 in about 2 weeks and I'm planning on trading in my Mazda2; however, I'm not exactly sure how much I'm going to get on the trade. I'm having difficulty trying to figure out how the pay Peter to pay Paul situation is going to shake out and how much I should request from PenFed to finance the new car.

So the situation is:

2012 Mazda2 - Owe $4500 on it to my CU, NADA's range is $5400 to 7000, KBB's is $5900 to 6700
2016 MX-5 - Sticker is $32k + $820 destination + 3% tax ~= $33.8k OTD; I might be able to use S Plan if the dealer isn't a dick, but I'm planning on worst case scenario
$500 loyalty cash/bonus/etc

I want to show up to the dealer and only have to futz with how much my Mazda2 is "worth" and have a check printed and ready from PenFed, but I don't know what would happen if I request $30k and the OTD negotiations come out to $28.5k. I would think that the dealer couldn't cash the check and split the difference with me, but I've never traded in a vehicle.

Pls send help.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JoelJoel posted:

Thanks for the advise!

I've heard such mixed review on rangers that I'm tending to avoid them (people seem to rave or rant without much middle ground ime). I've seen a couple colorados and dakotas in my price range but are usually either really high km or have some major mechanical or body concerns.

Frankly I'm just looking for a bridge truck for the next 3-5 years that I can drive into the dirt. I'll probably end up just snapping up whatever cheap and doesn't look like it's about to fall apart.

If it were me I'd be looking for a Ranger. I don't have empirical evidence or anything but they seem like a more reliable choice at the price points you're looking at. At least I seriously doubt the dakota or colorado would be better.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

SyHopeful posted:

Yes, I know this. However CR's reports are paywalled and nobody ITT who has said "don't buy a C-Max" has given any specifics. Obviously we don't want to buy something that's going to be a reliability nightmare.

Honestly, I can't remember details, but the reliability was well below average last time I looked.
The real world fuel economy is also quite a bit worse than the published spec. Everyone (which is only 2-3) I know with a newer ford hybrid (aka not licensed toyota stuff) has regretted it, while most non-hybrid owners seem to like the cars.
From what I hear, I would not be shocked if a mazda3 got better/same realworld mpg than a c-max while being a less annoying car in every other way. (Yes, this thread recommends mazdas a lot. Because they kick rear end.)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

Pls send help.

Don't they leave the actual amount blank but approve you up to $x? I'm not sure either, I've looked at Penfed before but every time the dealer has matched / beaten their interest rate with their lender.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My CU has 2.49%, PenFed has 1.99%, and Chase is offering 3.49%.

Any finance offers that Mazda has offered usually includes $20 per every $1000 financed, so if they were offering 0% for 60 months, it might have been an OK deal... but they aren't.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Don't they leave the actual amount blank but approve you up to $x? I'm not sure either, I've looked at Penfed before but every time the dealer has matched / beaten their interest rate with their lender.

I think that is how it works. Talk to the CU/bank to confirm

That said when I bought the 2 I got cash and 0%, but it was a bright green manual 100hp subcompact in the inland empire that had literally not rolled in 6 months, not a new miata.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

nm posted:

Honestly, I can't remember details, but the reliability was well below average last time I looked.
The real world fuel economy is also quite a bit worse than the published spec. Everyone (which is only 2-3) I know with a newer ford hybrid (aka not licensed toyota stuff) has regretted it, while most non-hybrid owners seem to like the cars.
From what I hear, I would not be shocked if a mazda3 got better/same realworld mpg than a c-max while being a less annoying car in every other way. (Yes, this thread recommends mazdas a lot. Because they kick rear end.)

I can find articles on how terrible the 2013 model year was, which has definitely given us big pause. While most vehicles have issues in their first production year, the C-Max seems to be behind the curve even factoring that in, but I'm having a tough time finding anything specific to the 2014+ models regarding reliability.

I do like Mazda3s (I miss my 1st gen MS3) but I don't think it's something the gf is interested in. Might have to take a second look at the Subarus.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you tested one out? They're really nice, especially as the trim level goes up. They've come a long way since your 1st gen.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

powderific posted:

Have you tested one out? They're really nice, especially as the trim level goes up. They've come a long way since your 1st gen.

They have, and I really love the look of the last couple model years. It's the gf that needs to be sold on them, not me!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

SyHopeful posted:

I can find articles on how terrible the 2013 model year was, which has definitely given us big pause. While most vehicles have issues in their first production year, the C-Max seems to be behind the curve even factoring that in, but I'm having a tough time finding anything specific to the 2014+ models regarding reliability.

I do like Mazda3s (I miss my 1st gen MS3) but I don't think it's something the gf is interested in. Might have to take a second look at the Subarus.

A 1 year car isn't old enough to have known reliability issues unless it is a fiat.

Have the gf sit in a 3. They are nice.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

nm posted:

A 1 year car isn't old enough to have known reliability issues unless it is a fiat.

Have the gf sit in a 3. They are nice.

tbf a 2014 would've been on the lots in late 2013, putting it around 2 years old.

I'll see if I can get her to check out the Mazda3. How are the CXs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The CX-3 is a Mazda3 with a lift. The CX-5 is solid, but it's a lot of car for either engine option (especially the 2.0L with the manual); it might leave a bit to be desired in the torque department, but you might find them to be adequate.