Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

How is that even some kind of sick burn? It isn't like any bank would accept any check that had a math equation of any sort instead of a straight dollar amount written on it. All that dad did was look like a dickhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

This continues to be stupid. Common Core is a list of standards, not teaching methods. It's just people getting mad that pedagogy is not exactly the same as when they were a kid, and then blaming Obama for no reason. News flash: the teachers you grew up with weren't perfect, and just because you learned it one way doesn't mean it's the best way. A lot of kids in your own classes didn't understand the "common sense" methods you learned, and would have done better with some other technique.

Willatron posted:

How is that even some kind of sick burn? It isn't like any bank would accept any check that had a math equation of any sort instead of a straight dollar amount written on it. All that dad did was look like a dickhead.

I see a 2 and 7 zeros. Assuming two of those are cents, I think the dad is offering a donation of $200,000, and the bank should honor it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Willatron posted:

If only this dad's school had some kind of standards.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Davethulhu posted:

3. He didn't invent anything/it's just a clock moved to a different casing. Notable followers of this narrative are Richard Dawkins and Bill Maher. People who believe this narrative are pedants and also probably bigots.
That one's pretty plainly true, though, looking at the thing. It's just something of a non sequitur - even if it's not a technically impressive feat to stick clock innards into a pencil case, it also doesn't explain or justify in any way school officials and police assuming exposed wires = bomb, or calling it a 'hoax bomb' when there was clearly never any intent to present it as one.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
We keep going round and round on this, but the basic fact is he brought something to school that looked enough like a bomb that one of his teachers told him not to tell anyone and the other sent him to the principal because she felt it looked like a bomb, not that it actually was. That he was arrested was uncalled for, but this whole narrative about how it doesn't look any way shape or form like a bomb is silly.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/16/us/texas-student-ahmed-muslim-clock-bomb/index.html

Ahmed posted:

He recalled showing one teacher the clock and her telling him that she thought it was "nice" but he shouldn't show other instructors, according to the paper. The teen put the clock in his bookbag but an alarm beeped in the middle of sixth period and Ahmed showed the teacher what he had, the newspaper reported.

"She was like, it looks like a bomb," he said.

"I told her, 'It doesn't look like a bomb to me.'"

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I get an english teacher freaking out and the prinicipal getting involved. But there was no justification for the police taking him away in handcuffs and interrogating him at the station without parents or an attorney.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

McDowell posted:

I get an english teacher freaking out and the prinicipal getting involved. But there was no justification for the police taking him away in handcuffs and interrogating him at the station without parents or an attorney.

Yeah, that was uncalled for.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
The check guy is a friend of a friend. He never sent anyone the check, he just took a picture and posted it on Facebook. He's a tremendous idiot but the stories about it are fabricated.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Armyman25 posted:

We keep going round and round on this, but the basic fact is he brought something to school that looked enough like a bomb that one of his teachers told him not to tell anyone and the other sent him to the principal because she felt it looked like a bomb, not that it actually was. That he was arrested was uncalled for, but this whole narrative about how it doesn't look any way shape or form like a bomb is silly.
Yeah. It's a subtle thing, to some extent. I certainly am not surprised that a random person might think 'bomb' when they take a look at it, nor do I blame them for thinking that. On the other hand, some people are saying that its appearance means he deliberately made it 'look like a bomb,' which strikes me as fairly absurd, since any amateur electronics project is going to look more or less like that when you open the thing up.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah. It's a subtle thing, to some extent. I certainly am not surprised that a random person might think 'bomb' when they take a look at it, nor do I blame them for thinking that. On the other hand, some people are saying that its appearance means he deliberately made it 'look like a bomb,' which strikes me as fairly absurd, since any amateur electronics project is going to look more or less like that when you open the thing up.

That's what confuses me. I'm fine with the teacher getting worried and calling the principal, but the police didn't treat it like a real bomb. The story now, I think, is that they were accusing him of planning a bomb scare with something that looks bomb-like. But hoaxes are all about intent. If there's no evidence that he intended to scare people, then there's no way to accuse him of trying to do so.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
When I was in elementary school a kid literally brought a hand grenade to school and the most that happened was that the principal got involved. It turned out to be a deactivated grenade the kid's dad had picked up from an army surplus store, but still. No police. That was also pre-9/11 and pre-Columbine, though, so they were a lot more lax about weapons.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Willatron posted:

The parent thought that teaching math and writing accounts were the same thing so uh

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jurgan posted:

That's what confuses me. I'm fine with the teacher getting worried and calling the principal, but the police didn't treat it like a real bomb.

Yup, the cover story "well they thought it looked like a real bomb" actually makes the school look worse because poo poo, you didn't evacuate the building when you thought there might be a bomb? Good god, something that might be a bomb gets chunked in a desk drawer and no fucks are given that children are sitting in the same room with something that for all they know might explode and kill everyone? Christ are you sure you wouldn't rather be known as a sorta-dumb racist who needs to improve rather than a dangerous idiot who should never ever be trusted with children?

Willatron posted:

My checks are made out as tricky second derivatives so when the guy cashing it doesn't realize it comes out as negative then he actually ends up paying me :homebrew:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Yup, the cover story "well they thought it looked like a real bomb" actually makes the school look worse because poo poo, you didn't evacuate the building when you thought there might be a bomb? Good god, something that might be a bomb gets chunked in a desk drawer and no fucks are given that children are sitting in the same room with something that for all they know might explode and kill everyone? Christ are you sure you wouldn't rather be known as a sorta-dumb racist who needs to improve rather than a dangerous idiot who should never ever be trusted with children?

You don't evacuate a building because a student brought something that you've determined is not a bomb but looks like one. No one thought there was a bomb, but the teacher did think that the kid brought a device to school that looked like a bomb, which is not allowed.

I don't know where you're getting this idea that anyone thought it was a bomb.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
When I was in 6th grade we each had a presentation "essay". I brought in a "practice round" from ww2 for a tank and the only thing my teacher said was "don't bring it on the bus because it might be valuable."

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Armyman25 posted:

You don't evacuate a building because a student brought something that you've determined is not a bomb but looks like one. No one thought there was a bomb, but the teacher did think that the kid brought a device to school that looked like a bomb, which is not allowed.

Did you normally get arrested when you brought stuff like shirts with marijuana leaves on them to school? Because that's really not normal. You get arrested if they thought you brought illegal stuff, like bombs, not if you brought stuff that just happens to not be allowed in school.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Strudel Man posted:

That one's pretty plainly true, though, looking at the thing. It's just something of a non sequitur - even if it's not a technically impressive feat to stick clock innards into a pencil case, it also doesn't explain or justify in any way school officials and police assuming exposed wires = bomb, or calling it a 'hoax bomb' when there was clearly never any intent to present it as one.

Early on, before the story really blew up (lol), I was going to make a joke that the reports were getting it wrong, what the kid did was engineering, not science.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

DrProsek posted:

Did you normally get arrested when you brought stuff like shirts with marijuana leaves on them to school? Because that's really not normal. You get arrested if they thought you brought illegal stuff, like bombs, not if you brought stuff that just happens to not be allowed in school.

They could use the excuse of drug paraphenilia.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Strudel Man posted:

he probably put it together out of a DIY clock kit, which would necessarily include the same parts as a normal clock. it's not like they make special parts for homebrew clocks you just make a clock except don't assemble it, drop the parts in a box and sell it to nerds

this is why richard dawkins was being such a douche, he had it in his head that ahmed thought he had invented clocks or something. wiring up a simple device is a fairly laudable achievement for a teen

Armyman25 posted:

yeah the cops arrested him and the school put him on suspension because nobody thought it was a bomb

your weird desire to nail this muslim teen to a cross is getting more desperate by the day

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 22, 2015

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Armyman25 posted:

There are plenty of retarded right wing commenters who think it could have been a bomb, or was a prototype.

Note that the bottom image isn't a bomb either.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
people are generally dumb when they're scared. i once argued with a friend for a half hour about the existence of briefcase nukes after she had watched some dumb action movie. this is also why people think the prime component of a bomb isn't explosives but a great big timer that's easy to read and a set of color coded wires

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

DrProsek posted:

I suppose that it depends on the school district. There is enough silliness with zero tolerance policies that it is possible.

I mean, here's a kid who got arrested for threatening to kill anime fans.

http://kotaku.com/high-school-student-arrested-for-threatening-to-kill-an-1728177947

He should've gotten a medal.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Fear is the mind killer.

Are you a human or a beast?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

he probably put it together out of a DIY clock kit, which would necessarily include the same parts as a normal clock. it's not like they make special parts for homebrew clocks you just make a clock except don't assemble it, drop the parts in a box and sell it to nerds

this is why richard dawkins was being such a douche, he had it in his head that ahmed thought he had invented clocks or something. wiring up a simple device is a fairly laudable achievement for a teen

yeah the cops arrested him and the school put him on suspension because nobody thought it was a bomb

your weird desire to nail this muslim teen to a cross is getting more desperate by the day

You really want to paint me as some kind of anti-Muslim bigot for saying that a bare circuit board, wires, and an LCD screen look like an explosive device. Even when the student in question has said that his teachers thought it looked like an explosive device, not that it was one, just that it looked like one.

You're really wrapped up in this idea that absolutely know one could possible say that what he brought to school resembled a bomb.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Armyman25 posted:

Right and when you know for a fact it's not a bomb, and you know the kid had no intent to hoax anyone because he told you exactly what it is then sure confiscate the thing if you're worried it will scare someone. End of story.

But that wasn't the end of the story because Muslim kid = probably a terrorist => we need to bust his balls and call the cops on him.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Armyman25 posted:

You really want to paint me as some kind of anti-Muslim bigot for saying that a bare circuit board, wires, and an LCD screen look like an explosive device. Even when the student in question has said that his teachers thought it looked like an explosive device, not that it was one, just that it looked like one.

You're really wrapped up in this idea that absolutely know one could possible say that what he brought to school resembled a bomb.

given that the police on the scene didn't think it was a bomb but a 'hoax bomb' and only legions of internet morons want to say that it's at all feasible for a teenaged boy in suburban dallas to homebrew an IED, yes. only bigots think that a random assortment of electrical components in a pencil case looks like a bomb

the glaring absence of explosives might be the first clue but then again i don't call a deskop tower a modem so maybe i'm giving people too much credit and there are folks out there who think printed boards can explode with force if chinese hackers get to them

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Apparently this suitcase bomb isn't too scary to take on an airplane

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

given that the police on the scene didn't think it was a bomb but a 'hoax bomb' and only legions of internet morons want to say that it's at all feasible for a teenaged boy in suburban dallas to homebrew an IED, yes. only bigots think that a random assortment of electrical components in a pencil case looks like a bomb

the glaring absence of explosives might be the first clue but then again i don't call a deskop tower a modem so maybe i'm giving people too much credit and there are folks out there who think printed boards can explode with force if chinese hackers get to them

You are really invested in this version of the story, aren't you?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Armyman25 posted:

You are really invested in this version of the story, aren't you?

the version of the story that actually happened irl and wasn't cooked up by paranoid internet racists? yes i would say i prefer one over the other :allears:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

the version of the story that actually happened irl and wasn't cooked up by paranoid internet racists? yes i would say i prefer one over the other :allears:

So, the 1st and 2nd teachers he showed the clock to are both racists?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Armyman25 posted:

If that's the case, I spent the last two years of my life building stuff that looks like an explosive device :shrug:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

If that's the case, I spent the last two years of my life building stuff that looks like an explosive device :shrug:

I don't know, why don't you post pics?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Don't go into a radio shack dude, you'll poo poo your pants at all the incendiary wires and chips and explosive seven-segment displays everywhere.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Armyman25 posted:

So, the 1st and 2nd teachers he showed the clock to are both racists?

i don't know what part of paranoid internet racists makes you think i was referring to anyone at the school but it appears your ability to recognize english words is about as good as your ability to recognize common electrical components

VitalSigns posted:

Don't go into a radio shack dude, you'll poo poo your pants at all the incendiary wires and chips and explosive seven-segment displays everywhere.

ISIL recruiter spotted at local shopping mall

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

ISIL recruiter spotted at local shopping mall

why does that bomb have limbs

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Senf posted:

why does that bomb have limbs

this is not without precedent

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Armyman25 posted:

I suppose that it depends on the school district. There is enough silliness with zero tolerance policies that it is possible.

I mean, here's a kid who got arrested for threatening to kill anime fans.

http://kotaku.com/high-school-student-arrested-for-threatening-to-kill-an-1728177947

He should've gotten a medal.

Did you read the article you linked? What does this have to do with anything? The kid in the article tweeted some vague threatening message about wanting to kill people directed at fans of a particular anime, attached a picture of a knife, was arrested probably after the production company of that anime filed a complaint, and just happened to be a high school student at the time. This has nothing at all to do with AM and his case, or your argument that arresting a kid for bringing a clock to school is totes normal.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
PYF Hoax Bombs in your closet:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I use this bomb as a file/dedicated torrent server. The two cables going off of the screen in the picture connect its power (it's fueled by bomb) and an Ethernet cable (which it uses to download more bombs). I was thinking of slapping an LED screen onto it so it could let everyone know when it was ready to blow up.

The thing on the right is the shrapnel; a disk spinning at 7200 RPM.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I think the last guy here is saying that we shouldn't let Germans be President either. Also, surprisingly, the OP is my old sergeant major. He seems to have mellowed out in the "ride my Harley everywhere" phase of his retirement.