Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Wojcigitty posted:

So I want to record stupid assholes swearing at me in Rocket League with ShadowPlay. Some kid told me to kill myself yesterday and I couldn't save it. :(

But :pcgaming: GEFORCE EXPERIENCE :pcgaming: gets stuck on checking for updates every goddamn time I try to start it, with admin privs, firewall off, after reinstalling/updating GFE and the drivers and everything, etc etc. I have Windows 7 and a GTX 770.

Tons of other people have complained about it and Nvidia just said to update your drivers or the software and :shrug:

Bit of a long shot, but, has anybody found any stupid tricks to make it work?

So I finally figured this out. Killed all the nvidia processes I could, uninstalled GFE, and re-ran the GFE installer as administrator. Now it seems to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm ready to go Big Pascal

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Yea, RIP AMD, with no delay in Pascal to get impatient people over, and a very unlikely ability to compete on performance, AMD isn't going to survive 2016. All Nvidia has to do is die shrink Maxwell and AMDs focus on async compute will mean Nvidia holds a perf/watt advantage, along with AMDs abysmal DX11 drivers.

Greenland is DOA.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
DX13 is where AMD is really going to win.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Don Lapre posted:

DX13 is where AMD is really going to win.

And OpenGL Romulan.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Wojcigitty posted:

So I finally figured this out. Killed all the nvidia processes I could, uninstalled GFE, and re-ran the GFE installer as administrator. Now it seems to work.

Nice dude, record every "ur a fagitt" moment in stunning clarity.

I also stream directly to twitch because they record everything for you, although in far poorer quality

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Maxwell so efficient Nvidia is putting 980 chips in laptops now.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

GM204 scales amazingly.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Don Lapre posted:

It's amazing what you can do with well over 10 pounds of laptop, but I'm glad to see them catching up to Intel.

Haven't they had the TDP room for a while with all those boat anchors with SLI top end graphics cards?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Don Lapre posted:

Like an actual 980? Lol what kind of power brick would that need. Also im guessing it'd toast your balls off

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The high-end Maxwell mobile chips are downclocked GM204 chips using between 3/8 to 3/4 of the full GM204 chip, and with a non-gimped ROP count for the 970m/980m series.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Like an actual 980? Lol what kind of power brick would that need. Also im guessing it'd toast your balls off

Yep, specially binned gpu's. 0-5% slower than in an actual desktop. They even overclocked it to 1400mhz on hardware canucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icz7REuhHVY

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Less than SLI 980M. I like the ASUS with a docking station that is actually just a water cooling rad.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Don Lapre posted:

Yep, specially binned gpu's. 0-5% slower than in an actual desktop. They even overclocked it to 1400mhz on hardware canucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icz7REuhHVY

That is seriously incredible to me

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

They still burn your knees but that's pretty much any chip that uses 120w and resides in a laptop really

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Now imagine Pascal and Greenland in a laptop allowing you more compact form factors and weight, as well as better cooling of memory.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like we're at the point where there seriously should be some standards developed for modular laptops...something kind of like the Intel 5x5 motherboard: http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-debuts-tiny-5x5-motherboard-form-factor-smaller-than-mini-itx/

...but with a new type of PCI cable as well, that'll hook into one of those GTX 980 boards or anything else going forwards.

As of now, this is all I can find along those lines... ITX laptop that has to be special-ordered:

I know we can do better than that, but I guess there's no incentive among OEMs to improve upon that concept.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Zero VGS posted:

I feel like we're at the point where there seriously should be some standards developed for modular laptops...something kind of like the Intel 5x5 motherboard: http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-debuts-tiny-5x5-motherboard-form-factor-smaller-than-mini-itx/

...but with a new type of PCI cable as well, that'll hook into one of those GTX 980 boards or anything else going forwards.

As of now, this is all I can find along those lines... ITX laptop that has to be special-ordered:

I know we can do better than that, but I guess there's no incentive among OEMs to improve upon that concept.

We used to have them. They were called whitebooks.

Also, WRT that case: carpal tunnel hooooooooooooooo

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
looks like its used for nuclear launch codes

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I'm using the latest beta of GeForce Experience, and I guess Shadowplay is now Play? There are some things I like about it, but I think I might switch back unless I figure out how to not have my FPS and recording status show up in the videos I record. I don't need the live streaming or co-op features -- I just want to record my sick headshots with the dump the last 90 seconds to a file feature.

It worked just fine in the regular Shadowplay. Any ideas? I do like to see my FPS ingame.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I'm using the latest beta of GeForce Experience, and I guess Shadowplay is now Play? There are some things I like about it, but I think I might switch back unless I figure out how to not have my FPS and recording status show up in the videos I record. I don't need the live streaming or co-op features -- I just want to record my sick headshots with the dump the last 90 seconds to a file feature.

It worked just fine in the regular Shadowplay. Any ideas? I do like to see my FPS ingame.

I use afterburners OSD for fps, which doesn't record in shadowplay. Now the actual recording status symbol, I dont know, I never noticed it before in recordings (but I definitely need it when live). I'll play around with it tonight

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Not sure if it helps your use case, but Steam's overlay now has an option to show FPS at all times.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I use afterburners OSD for fps, which doesn't record in shadowplay. Now the actual recording status symbol, I dont know, I never noticed it before in recordings (but I definitely need it when live). I'll play around with it tonight

Using the new Share? http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-experience-early-access-share-beta-coming-soon

Even if I disable the recording status symbol, the little "Recording has started" banner shows up in the video.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Not sure if it helps your use case, but Steam's overlay now has an option to show FPS at all times.

Thanks both, but I try to limit the running applications, so it was nice that the FPS was built-in. I mostly play Battlefield (through Origin) and GTAV, (cheaper non-Steam version). I'm suspecting that anything on the screen will show up in the recording.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Using the new Share? http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-experience-early-access-share-beta-coming-soon

Even if I disable the recording status symbol, the little "Recording has started" banner shows up in the video.

Thanks both, but I try to limit the running applications, so it was nice that the FPS was built-in. I mostly play Battlefield (through Origin) and GTAV, (cheaper non-Steam version). I'm suspecting that anything on the screen will show up in the recording.

You should be running afterburner though because it has the opposite effect ;P

But no I haven't seen share. Looks like I just havent updated geforce yet. Hopefully it isnt a lame piece of poo poo thats harder to use

edit: I missed the key word "beta" here, was getting confused

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 23, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I have a weird question, if I have three Quadros and a Geforce in the same system, can I use both Mosaic (for a video wall) and Gamestream at the same time?

I already have three Quadros making a 3x3 video wall, but I want to stream remote content up to it.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

Don Lapre posted:

People thought AMD was gonna be able to buy up every hbm2 chip made
Yeah, this was hilarious. As if the DRAM vendors weren't going to get projections on demand and ramp up supply to match...

Samsung's M.O. is to always be a "fast follower" when they small a lucrative market. Should tell you something about the projections for HBM adoption.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Samsung getting in the game also means HBM adoption in mobile chips, which means more high-end ARM devices. Which can only be better for everyone.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Samsung getting in the game also means HBM adoption in mobile chips, which means more high-end ARM devices. Which can only be better for everyone.

Not as long as they keep trying to GO! AS! THIN! AS! POSSIBLE! Make some room for some loving battery, jesus!

Thank god for Sony phones at least. (Not a sentence I ever expected to say.) I'm getting the Xperia Z5 when it comes out in October. (Not another sentence I ever expected to say.)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Picking up the mini ITX case chat from a few pages back, it seems that Silverstone's new Raven Z case can handle a 980ti without issue:

http://www.techspot.com/review/1062-silverstone-raven-rvz02/page4.html

Not sure if Techspot is considered reliable but that review seems pretty promising.
Sounds good. Now what we're waiting for are results with their filtered non-window version. The RVZ01/FTZ01/ML07 have fans to pull air through the filters, this doesn't, so we have yet to see what difference that makes.

Mr. Angry
Jan 20, 2012
If you check the card Techspot used, you'll notice it uses Nvidia's reference air cooler. Like any blower card, the airflow through the card is self-contained, with the air drawn in from the case and pushed out through the vents on the bracket. This works well with the RVZ02 because the card can draw in air directly through the case vents and isn't affected by the lack of active airflow in the case.

If you tried to use an open air cooled card (like most aftermarket cards out there), the warm air will build up and end up throttling the GPU like what happened in SCPR's review.

So yeah, buy a reference card if you want to use the RVZ02 or Node 202.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Some tests with regards to this would be interesting for sure. Not saying you're wrong, but it does go against the fact that Silverstone themselves recommend an open air cooled card in the official manual.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/Manual/case/Multi-RVZ02-Manual.pdf

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Pascal pretty close production apparently. Interesting to note is the claim that Pascal will be compute heavy, likely just GP100 but I wonder how Nvidia is going to disable it on consumer products?
Volta in 2018 when [hopefully] HMC matures. 2018 is a bit of a gap from 2016 so I'm wondering if that means a minor refresh of Pascal?

AMD really needs some Greenland/Baffin/Ellesmere leaks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've been assuming we would get Little and Big Pascal, but that opinion is unburdened by data.

Whether or not AMD needs leaks very much depends on what they would be leaking. I think we'll see things kept pretty tight until the new graphics head gets things organizationally how he wants them.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

I've been assuming we would get Little and Big Pascal, but that opinion is unburdened by data.

Whether or not AMD needs leaks very much depends on what they would be leaking. I think we'll see things kept pretty tight until the new graphics head gets things organizationally how he wants them.

It's looking like Quadro will be 32GB, while Titan [?] will be 16GB and the 1080ti will be 8GB, everything else will likely be GDDR5X. AMD may do the same but they also HBM availability and could leave GDDR5X for midrange only, so Fury [?] 16GB HBM2, 490 8GB HBM2, 480 4GB HBM, 470 and lower as GDDR5X

Just saying, leaks can build confidence and hype, and help stave off purchases of Nvidia GPUs. Being a complete unknown gives bad impressions, as well as consumers prefer something they know more about.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It may be that unconstrained speculation is better for them than speculation based on what they could leak (and be confident was still going to be true at launch).

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I felt a little burned by last years official AMD "leaks" (and rhetoric in general) so I wouldn't mind a little restraint or plain honesty this time around. Although I do agree that hype does really work in AMD's favor too, lots of people held off buying a new GPU because there was some kind of information floating around even if it was absurdly late to the market

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Well Rory is gone so things are looking better for AMD marketing in general. What an insufferable rear end.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I've been buying AMD for a long time, and I'm at the point of hoping my RMA has gotten lost in the mail so I can just collect $300 on lost goods insurance and buy a loving 970.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/amd_r9_fury_x_to_be_affected_by_asetek_lawsuit/1

:cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I thought Asetek was their OEM for that though?! What the gently caress was this all about then: http://www.asetek.com/press-room/news/2014/asetek-announces-largest-ever-design-win/

Did they maybe mean they were only the OEM for the 295x2, or the 980ti hybrid cooler?

AMD should have known better, Asetek has trolled Swiftech pretty hard on that patent already.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 23, 2015