Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's really, really fun to die to some lovely-looking monsters, realize you've been set back about five minutes and then just run past them to the new area of Boo! Spooky Castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Okay, so it's the resource management?

in the 90s we had a very popular genre that revolved around it.

i mean if you don't like dark descent it's all good but that doesn't change that machine for pigs is worse.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Groovelord Neato posted:

Well usually, from what I understand, you also had more than one type of enemy and the game didn't lie to you and tell you it was scarier than it was to look at.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's really, really fun to die to some lovely-looking monsters, realize you've been set back about five minutes and then just run past them to the new area of Boo! Spooky Castle.

Better than having a dev jerk off in your face harder than Johnathan Blow on a cocaine spree, then calling you an idiot when you protest.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Groovelord Neato posted:

i mean if you don't like dark descent it's all good but that doesn't change that machine for pigs is worse.

It's Dark Descent minus boring poo poo and lame gameplay, plus pigmen.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Better than having a dev jerk off in your face harder than Johnathan Blow on a cocaine spree, then calling you an idiot when you protest.

I'm sorry those hipsters were mean to you at college.

The Vosgian Beast fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 22, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Walk me through why Dark Descent is better than Machine for Pigs. Is it the superficial Lovecraft, the half-assed sanity mechanics, or the resource management?

Yes, as well as having actual puzzles, a plot that makes sense, and characters. Also you can play it for more than 2 hours.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's Dark Descent minus boring poo poo and lame gameplay, plus pigmen.

I'm sorry those hipsters were mean to you at college.

what does this have to do with hipsters. i don't even think they were really a thing when i went to college. machine for pigs is far more boring which is weird as hell.

Alabaster White posted:

Yes, as well as having actual puzzles, a plot that makes sense, and characters.

you cannot reason with the monster.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Alabaster White posted:

Yes, as well as having actual puzzles, a plot that makes sense, and characters.

That are boring as poo poo.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Groovelord Neato posted:

what does this have to do with hipsters. i don't even think they were really a thing when i went to college. machine for pigs is far more boring which is weird as hell.

you cannot reason with the monster.

I messed up with the quotes.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Any word in the reviews as to whether or not the PS4 version is as good as the PC? I've been debating which version I want and, honestly, I'd like to go PS4 so I can play it on my TV without having to lug my tower over there.

...I am the worst PC gamer.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Relin posted:

there is one, i'm the only one who posted in it

people learned a hard lesson from machine for pigs
Awww, those threads are so sad :( That's kind of surprising too, maybe Frictional and horror games in general are more niche than I always assume. Well let's see what happens when the game releases. I'll post in your thread once I get around to playing it, but that might be a while. Here's a link to the thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742659

BlackFrost posted:

For shame. Say three Hail Marys and go make a post on the [H]ard OCP forums about overclocking your video card as penance.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BlackFrost posted:

Any word in the reviews as to whether or not the PS4 version is as good as the PC? I've been debating which version I want and, honestly, I'd like to go PS4 so I can play it on my TV without having to lug my tower over there.

Have you tried the "stream in the house with a separate laptop" trick?

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
This thread is the only place on the entire internet I've ever seen people claim A Machine For Pigs was better than The Dark Descent.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

FirstAidKite posted:

What about the ending bothered you

I didnt' play the game, I watched harshlycritical play through it tho and it looked like a very pretty, very confusing game that felt too confusing for its own good. I assume they were trying to be confusing on purpose though, given the similarities to alice in wonderland

Confusing is right! I watched HarshlyCritical as well. I understand the developers' inspiration in Alice (hell, there's even an easter egg confirming that), but the last five minutes totally derails multiple plot threads by introducing new-ish ones that are never made clear. I guess that's the point? I felt like they were going for simultaneous stories all at once with the intention of muddling the waters for the player/viewer, but ended up obscuring their own vision.

People bag on FNaF for all the theorycrafting, and here's Fran Bow practically encouraging it by failing to make story points distinct.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Popular Human posted:

This thread is the only place on the entire internet I've ever seen people claim A Machine For Pigs was better than The Dark Descent.

I think it's just me in this thread.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

I think it's just me in this thread.

FWIW I actually like A Machine For Pigs. It's quite a bit different from the first game, but that's okay - it would've felt really cheap if Chinese Room had tried to make something that was just a very pretty mod. My main complaint is that it didn't do nearly as much as it could with the setting - factories in the Gilded Age were really lovely places to work where nightmarish things happened on a semi-regular basis and the game just kind of skirted all that to tell a story about an industrialist who chases ghost kids and hides from pig monsters. I think everyone who saw the trailers wanted an industrial version of "paint the man, cut the lines!" and the final product wasn't like that at all.

Also you couldn't interact with anything in AMFP and I hated that. There's no point to being able to pick up and stack all the books and crates and busts lying around in TDD but it made the game feel more interactive.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Popular Human posted:

FWIW I actually like A Machine For Pigs. It's quite a bit different from the first game, but that's okay - it would've felt really cheap if Chinese Room had tried to make something that was just a very pretty mod. My main complaint is that it didn't do nearly as much as it could with the setting - factories in the Gilded Age were really lovely places to work where nightmarish things happened on a semi-regular basis and the game just kind of skirted all that to tell a story about an industrialist who chases ghost kids and hides from pig monsters. I think everyone who saw the trailers wanted an industrial version of "paint the man, cut the lines!" and the final product wasn't like that at all.

Also you couldn't interact with anything in AMFP and I hated that. There's no point to being able to pick up and stack all the books and crates and busts lying around in TDD but it made the game feel more interactive.

Yeah that's fair

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Well usually, from what I understand, you also had more than one type of enemy and the game didn't lie to you and tell you it was scarier than it was to look at.

They looked like chubby little mummies :3:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

so is Soma like, Amnesia: A Machine for Machines

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So did you like Teleglitch but wish it had better graphics (kinda) and multiplayer, well then you should check out Noct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHBPeijIBiQ. Now while I did enjoy Teleglitch, the lo-fi pixel graphics didn't do the game much favors and this looks to be much in the same vein. Just a bit surprised I had not heard of it before.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Niggurath posted:

So did you like Teleglitch but wish it had better graphics (kinda) and multiplayer, well then you should check out Noct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHBPeijIBiQ. Now while I did enjoy Teleglitch, the lo-fi pixel graphics didn't do the game much favors and this looks to be much in the same vein. Just a bit surprised I had not heard of it before.

You got my indie boner going but "multiplayer survival horror" makes me think it's going to end up as top-down DayZ. That's what it kinda looks like from the video, too, though I'll admit the monster designs are pretty rad and imposing.

The only thing I need for Teleglitch to be perfect are graphics mods. It's just a touch too pixelly for me, but still remains one of my top 5 games on Steam.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

If you want to be a wet fart about it you can reduce any horror game with this schtick. Yeah, Dark Descent was really fun and scary. Machine was promising, but failed to deliver any novelty, had clumsy pacing, and I remember it also looking weirdly bad, three things that are really important to the genre. Lots of strange details, like levels constructed from too-obvious tilesets with repeating instances of the same painting within sight of one another, or really cheap Mod-looking bloodstains and gore. Fake-looking, overbearing fog effects. It seemed really amateurish and undercooked to me, at the time. I didn't actually finish it, though. That's my years-old memory of it.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 22, 2015

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
SOMA actually looks really good so far, but the voice acting is a little hammy. Story is actually really compelling despite it though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I only played a little of Machine For Pigs, but yeah I did notice the graphics are pretty awful for something of its age, especially coming off a prequel that actually looked like it was expected to in 2010.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I'm a little frustrated, since Steam ticks over the day at 1 in the afternoon here, and I have to work from 2:30 to 7:30 tomorrow afternoon, so I won't be able to play for a while after the release.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Most reviews of Soma say it's a slow burn, which may turn off some people but if you're into the kind of horror game that starts off light but gets more horrific as you go, it's probably good.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I hope it's more like penumbra than amnesia, by which I mean I hope it's not got a super-chatty protagonist, and a more sorta isolated, "empty" feel to it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Relin posted:

there is one, i'm the only one who posted in it

people learned a hard lesson from machine for pigs

your post consisted almost entirely of a link to a rambling reddit rear end in a top hat who spells out the entire plot sans spoiler tags and goes IT'S poo poo 0/10

hard to do any kind of discussion about that

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 22, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Game is neat so far, but I'm getting weird 10 fps frame drops in larger areas. It's annoying.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, been enjoying it so far but I forgot that these games just set up tension at first without really putting the player in danger. So I'm having to calm myself down and tell myself that I'm not going to suddenly be murdered by whatever is waiting behind a door or slamming through vents...at least not yet anyway.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm a bit concerned with how many "reveals" the game throws at you in rapid succession though. (I'm about 100 mins in according to steam at the time of this post) Computers say it's 2106, you're in some sort of android or cyborg body, and a easily overlooked datalog states that a comet hit earth and rendered all life on the surface extinct. It almost feels like those should be...End game things, not something you learn super early in. Hoping they're able to keep the rest of the reveals equally impactful and it doesn't just decline from there.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I haven't read a lot of things before this game was released (and I'm still downloading it) but what I've read made me worried that there will be underwhelming, cheap twists. I guess I should spoiler my speculation because some people might have read even less about the game: So the machines are starting to behave like human beings, having a consciousness and all. You awake alone in that station and you have ComLink-connection to another female scientist who gives you directions. How willl the game make me believe she is not another machine? I don't know. Also, the overall idea of machines behaving like they have human consciousness, while the player character is the only human, gives me the expectation that some scientists have experimented with putting human minds into machines, but it didn't work out and they are all crazy now, until they found a way to make the consciousness be inside a machine but actually feel like it is inside a human body (=Soma) and you are playing as this prototype, creating a modern video game commentary on the whole "players uploading their consciousness into the game, controlling the illusion of a human body, realism in games, and so forth". Like the commentary about games and repititions in Dragons Dogma and Dark Souls. If it goes in that direction I hope it's at least well made.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm a bit concerned with how many "reveals" the game throws at you in rapid succession though. (I'm about 100 mins in according to steam at the time of this post) Computers say it's 2106, you're in some sort of android or cyborg body, and a easily overlooked datalog states that a comet hit earth and rendered all life on the surface extinct. It almost feels like those should be...End game things, not something you learn super early in. Hoping they're able to keep the rest of the reveals equally impactful and it doesn't just decline from there.

I'm quite far (I think) into the game so far, having gotten to Theta so here's my thoughts on it so far. I'll try not to mention anything story related.

The game reveals to you quite early that you are inside a robot. Davids scan was saved for a very long time and put into a machine and the entire premise of the game is exploring the psychology of being an infomorph. It goes a lot into how a copy of "you" diverges quite rapidly and becomes two different selves that were based on the same pre-existing pattern, that is your brain architecture, but it's the experiences that make you "you".

I'm also interested in seeing if not using the weird power nodes to repair yourself has an effect on how David perceives himself. I had quite a gruesome experience in a mirror just now.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I guess I need some help from you guys who have already played for a couple of hours. I'm stuck right before the Comm Center. I've met Carl, probably killed him which didn't seem to have any further effect, poor Carl. There's a computer that requires a login, a wall map, more drawings. I ran up here pretty quickly when a robot attacked me in the large hall below, do I need to get back there?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

sicDaniel posted:

I guess I need some help from you guys who have already played for a couple of hours. I'm stuck right before the Comm Center. I've met Carl, probably killed him which didn't seem to have any further effect, poor Carl. There's a computer that requires a login, a wall map, more drawings. I ran up here pretty quickly when a robot attacked me in the large hall below, do I need to get back there?

There is a hallway leading away from the room with the computer that has a dead body with a name tag that has the ID number you need to login to the computer.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Enjoying Soma a ton. Only about two and a half hours in so far, don't want to spoil anything by talking about it but I'm very happy with the atmosphere and I'm quite sucked in.

Also the environmental sound design is fantastic. If you aren't playing it on headphones you're doing the sound artist a massive disservice.

Slow burn is right and I like it for that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Reason posted:

the RPS review of Soma kind of seemed like the game was bad.

that sounds stupid as poo poo.

The main characters voice acting and dialog in the trailers was stilted and bad so I'm assuming that SOMA is a sequel to Deep Fear. Here's hoping that Muki survived

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

HellCopter posted:

Vinesauce (a streamer) didn't have a PS4 so he missed out of PT. He keeps trying PT clones, though, which make the chat boil with rage since they all suck.

I haven't played it but Layers of Fear looks really good. Unfinished, but good. And also Vinny liked it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

right now it seems like Layers of Fear and Allison Road are the closest we'll get to quality PT-likes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Finished SOMA. I really liked it a lot. As you would expect, it is Amnesia/Silent Hill atmosphere-type horror, no jump scares, little "action" in the conventional video game sense of the word. My only semi-complaint about the game is I found Simon's voice to be a mixed bag. In one sense, he's an underdeveloped character who has a backstory and is otherwise kinda blank-slatey personality wise. This makes sense since its more immersive to give the player Simon's voice through their actions but the problem is, especially at the beginning of the game, that when Simon does talk, he doesn't really ask things or act in a way that I would in the situation. This is somewhat obnoxious, it forces you to recognize Simon as a character you are controlling, but then you go back to the original point that Simon is mostly a blank slate and not particularly interesting. Anyways, as I said, the game is great. If you are looking purely for youtube-style scream at your screen at jump scares and scripted chase sequences, look elsewhere. If you want an atmospheric romp through a spooky ocean laboratory thing with a surprisingly developed plot, then this is the game for you.

Spoiler thoughts on the plot: I rather liked the whole ship of theseus/meaning of identity theme running throughout the game. The game come perilously close to talking too much about it in conversations and stuff, but ultimately that discussion is limited and paced enough before it gets too eye-rolly for the player.

The ending was pretty much the only way the game could have ended. I actually got annoyed with Simon at the end for accusing Catherine of lying to him and acting all surprised what happened. I understood for hours at that point what would happen when the ARK was launched and I have no idea why Simon acts all confused about it, it was kinda obnoxious that he was so dumb. Like, its not that hard a concept to understand. Copying yourself into an AI simulation isn't going to magically kill the person it was copied from. There was always going to be a version of Simon living on the ARK and a version that remains stuck in the apocalyptic hellhole. I mean yeah it loving sucks and all and I would probably commit suicide in that situation, but there's just no reason to act all "betrayed" by it, it was always going to happen if you even though about what you were doing for a second. I mean the Simon on the bottom of the ocean is literally the same thing as the ARK version, he is a digital copy and the "original" Simon in Toronto didn't cease to exist once the Simon on Pathos was uploaded and stored. Simon literally went through the same thing when he switched bodies as well, how does he not understand this concept by now? The point of the ARK was akin to a parent sacrificing themselves to secure a better future for a child, the Simon on Pathos never had hope to do anything, the world he inhabits is already dead, the whole point was to make a better future for an alternative self, like a parent would for a child. This kinda gets to my original complaint about how its obnoxious to have Simon not be a particularly be a strong character with a strong and unique voice, but then he acts in a way that breaks any sort of faux-immersion that Simon's voice is you as the player. I'm not sure if frictional games think the idea of having multiple consciousnesses is complicated or something and that the normal player will not feel "betrayed" like Simon does, but the concept really isn't complicated and what happened should be apparent to anyone who thought about what they were doing.

One thing I really liked was that WAU wasn't an AI program that became self-aware and then tried to destroy humanity like Terminator or whatever dumb cliche. Having WAU's intentions to "save" the remnants of humanity (I imagine it realized the humanity remnants would eventually just starve to death and then humanity would become officially gone) by turning them into Lovecraft-type abominations and forcing them to stay alive forever in comatose/vegetable states or in machines has a twisted sort of logic to it that's neat and better than the typical Hollywood AI-is-evil for no reason bullshit.