Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

robotsinmyhead posted:

I've been using this setup I cribbed off the Forza Forums (maybe linked here?) either way:

I've been pretty happy with it, but the weird Rebound/Bump settings is creating some porpoisening under hard braking.

As an aside, I'm bummed that Turn10 (still!) hasn't put your car stats like power, curb weight, and weight balance in the Tuning sheet. They make good leaps in every iteration of this game and completely overlook simple problems.

edit: personally, gently caress those brake settings - and obviously this isn't an end-all setup, just a nice "3 Minute Tune"

After using the 3-minute tune for most of FH2 and the last couple of weeks, I think the spring settings are the only good baseline settings in that tune and I became lazy about it and realized I didn't know exactly why things should be set properly. So most of the last few days has been studying more and experimenting and I, so far, am liking the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm spinning out a lot here than I did with past Forza games (set to full sim on all games) when I try to correct oversteer it rebounds like crazy. I looked at the controller settings and I have no idea what dead center inside, dead center outside and all that poo poo means. I just want the analog sticks to be less sensitive.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Anti roll bars are best considered something for fine tuning. At least that's how I use them. Stiff in the front, soft in the rear. Adjust as needed from there for dialing in a tune.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
40% brake bias is laughably wrong, unless you want to spin everytime you enter a corner. 46 or 47 is usually good for most cars.

Edit: Also, I don't know how it was possible, but they made the Lotus F1 car even worse to drive than in Forza 5. It's the biggest pile of poo poo I think I've ever driven in Forza.

L_Harrison fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 21, 2015

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ChocNitty posted:

I'm spinning out a lot here than I did with past Forza games (set to full sim on all games) when I try to correct oversteer it rebounds like crazy. I looked at the controller settings and I have no idea what dead center inside, dead center outside and all that poo poo means. I just want the analog sticks to be less sensitive.

This is a good video about adjusting your dead zones on the controller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsJG-TtfeIM

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

L_Harrison posted:

40% brake bias is laughably wrong, unless you want to spin everytime you enter a corner. 46 or 47 is usually good for most cars.

Edit: Also, I don't know how it was possible, but they made the Lotus F1 car even worse to drive than in Forza 5. It's the biggest pile of poo poo I think I've ever driven in Forza.

I'd guess that the Lotus F1 car probably involves a fair bit of guesswork and compromises by Turn 10, since Forza doesn't model some of the crucial parts of modern F1 cars (the hybrid system, DRS, and some of the more complex aerodynamic bits that generate downforce) and I'd be kind of surprised if Turn 10 got any kind of significantly detailed engineering or performance data from Lotus about the actual car, since F1 teams are notoriously secretive about anything like that.

On the subject of open wheel cars, I find it hilarious that someone decided to put the Formula E cars into a career mode block that includes a set of tracks chosen for high speeds and fast, sweeping corners. The Formula E cars are actually a lot of fun on shorter or wet tracks, but running 10 laps of Daytona in a car that tops out around 150MPH strikes me as kind of silly.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

azflyboy posted:

On the subject of open wheel cars, I find it hilarious that someone decided to put the Formula E cars into a career mode block that includes a set of tracks chosen for high speeds and fast, sweeping corners. The Formula E cars are actually a lot of fun on shorter or wet tracks, but running 10 laps of Daytona in a car that tops out around 150MPH strikes me as kind of silly.

I just did this last night, Indy and Daytona in career. It was ten minutes of silence.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Woah, I ran a handful of the GT League races and they just sent me 250k credits for participating in it :D.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

two_beer_bishes posted:

Not that I'm a tuning expert by any means, but try camber .8/.8, toe .1/-.1, brakes 47-50/100. Roll bars I struggle with so I can't help with that or Rebound/bump (except that the stock values seem too high every time, for me bump is about half of rebound). Camber normally stays right at .8/.8 unless I'm using tons of aero, then I just adjust while test driving to get even temps across the width of the tires.

That was kind of my go-to in FH2, I think these camber settings are too extreme like you said, and I don't know much about the effects of Toe on a small scale. Brakes definitely 47-48/85% for me (it seems dumb to be locking the brakes at 1/4 of the trigger pull)

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

robotsinmyhead posted:

That was kind of my go-to in FH2, I think these camber settings are too extreme like you said, and I don't know much about the effects of Toe on a small scale. Brakes definitely 47-48/85% for me (it seems dumb to be locking the brakes at 1/4 of the trigger pull)

I'm using a wheel so I like to set it higher, maybe 130-150% so I don't feel like I'm slamming the brake pedal.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Camber settings of .8 is extreme?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
demon camber ftw :rice:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Here's a really fun start with 20 cars in a D class lobby on the Mountain circuit reverse on Rio De Janerio.

I'm the green and black Ford Focus that's turned sideways :(

Naturally everyone kept hitting me so I made it pretty much down to the big turn at the bottom of this hill before I got turned around and going again, never turned into a ghost...

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Leather Bear posted:

Camber settings of .8 is extreme?

I meant from the aforementioned tuning notes that say "add -2.0 to the stock camber" Camber ranges up over 3.5 for some cars with no downforce, especially in the back on RWD cars, leads to a hilarious amount of wheelspin and poor rear traction at low speeds.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Powershift posted:

it's even worse, because now that there is only those specific tracks, when those tracks come up in the career they're almost always night or wet.

COME ON!

This is back a bit, but quoting because I just got the same spin as my level 80 prize. I got the Fiesta. :flipoff:

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
All the high level special spins are fixed, or I'm pretty sure they are. If there's one with a car surrounded by money, you always win the car. No exceptions ever. At least I always win the car.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I'm sorry if this has been answered already (or if it's easy to google and I'm just being a dolt), but is there any reason NOT to download the game (besides reasons that would apply to any game - e.g., being able to sell the game later)? Like, am I missing out on extra content that comes packaged with the game? Extra cars? A free week of xbox live gold (I just bought the system, so I've been putting off officially buying gold by redeeming the certificates in the games I've been buying up)? Or is it safe to just carry on through the xbox store and get it now (well, tomorrow, since my ISP is poo poo).

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Go digital. The only incentives are different, pricier versions of the game. Some of those are decent deals like if you know that you'll be buying all of the dlc.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Leather Bear posted:

Go digital. The only incentives are different, pricier versions of the game. Some of those are decent deals like if you know that you'll be buying all of the dlc.

Are we able to save games to an external HD to free up space if need be?

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Leather Bear posted:

Rockin. Thanks!

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Just random pictures from some pubbie action. Sometimes, they can be fun to race with, and other times lol.

Edit: Also, I witnessed pubbies voting for Yas Marina Full over Watkins Glen. I wish a terrible death upon them all.

L_Harrison fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 22, 2015

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sometimes you gotta drive under pubbies in order to pass them.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

This is beautiful.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

L_Harrison posted:

Edit: Also, I witnessed pubbies voting for Yas Marina Full over Watkins Glen. I wish a terrible death upon them all.

This is actually the worst thing you posted. I cannot stand that horrible track, and I always kinda liked it watching F1.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
GTCC is back with the old crew if anyone wants to mess around with us again.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743099

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
YESSsss

edit: poo poo 9pm EST is still too late for me. Maybe I'll start Chump Car Challenge back up for us old timers with buttcrack-of-dawn hours.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 23, 2015

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
So did they really rebuild all the old FM2 cars (such as Subaru 22b and Nissan R32 Skyline) from the ground up, or do they still look like rear end?

Considering finally buying an Xbone and FM6 for some stupid reason.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
^ No. They improved the headlights and taillights and such for night racing use, but the rest of the car meshes are identical to Forza 5 I think. The MR2 is also a noteworthy culprit. Considering how many car-specific glitches carry over from game to game, they'll probably never fix them.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

L_Harrison posted:

^ No. They improved the headlights and taillights and such for night racing use, but the rest of the car meshes are identical to Forza 5 I think. The MR2 is also a noteworthy culprit. Considering how many car-specific glitches carry over from game to game, they'll probably never fix them.
Ugh, gently caress that then.

I remember that pasting a design from one side of the car to the other usually meant it was off by some margin every time as well. I take it that wasn't fixed either?

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Depends on the car, but I haven't really done any complex schemes to comment. Some of the aftermarket parts have hosed up mapping like usual (mirrored coordinates, for instance, so everything is backwards). In other words, typical Forza issues that they never fix.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Since we're "merging" the 2 online race leagues I wanted to do an interest check here. I know some people have A) wanted alternate race days and B) wanted racing line enabled races. I'm thinking of repurposing Gutbombs specs and putting them on with those changes. Is there any interest in this at all? If so I would be willing to put it on.

General Probe fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 23, 2015

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

General Probe posted:

Since we're "merging" the 2 online race leagues I wanted to do an interest check here. I know some people have A) wanted alternate race days and B) wanted racing line enabled races. I'm thinking of repurposing Gutbombs specs and putting them on with those changes. Is there any interest in this at all? If so if be willing to put it on.

As long as it doesn't start later than the current series I would come.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

General Probe posted:

Since we're "merging" the 2 online race leagues I wanted to do an interest check here. I know some people have A) wanted alternate race days and B) wanted racing line enabled races. I'm thinking of repurposing Gutbombs specs and putting them on with those changes. Is there any interest in this at all? If so I would be willing to put it on.

I was just about to goto the GRC thread and recommend that someone take over hosting, move to a different night, and make racing line optional.

I will attempt to make it out to both races. Time would have to remain in the 9-10 Eastern range.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I think a weekend series would be a great idea.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I think a weekend series would be a great idea.

I'm still kinda down for this idea, but I'd be inconsistent because I do stuff on the weekends :goonsay:

Though, with winter approaching, outside fun time goes down, and inside fun time goes up.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'll start trying to make it to anything. I've been working really strange hours of late.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
My vote is for enabled brake lines. I'm poo poo and just don't want to write people off every race.

The rest is all good to me!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Whatever you do, it has to be on a different night from the GTCC Wednesday racing if you want enough people to make it worth doing.

I'd recommend either Monday nights or sometime on Saturday afternoons. Participation may be variable for people on a weekend, but I'm sure you'd always get enough to have decent races.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Rivals gives so much credit and XP now. I just did about an hour of rivals last night and went up 5 or 6 levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BCRock posted:

Whatever you do, it has to be on a different night from the GTCC Wednesday racing if you want enough people to make it worth doing.

I'd recommend either Monday nights or sometime on Saturday afternoons. Participation may be variable for people on a weekend, but I'm sure you'd always get enough to have decent races.

I vote for Saturdays because I work every weekday at awkward times.

• Locked thread