Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I don't exactly have much in the way of expendable income at the moment, plus certain yosposters were planning on buying it for me again after I buy a new one so I'm just letting it sit for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You could...just...stay out of YOSPOS?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

But I like yosposting :saddowns:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And I like putting people with crazy avatars on ignore but if I did that then half of AI would be in there and I like most of these guys.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I turned avatars off after getting this so I don't exactly remember it unless it gets mentioned. I'll see if I have money sitting forgotten in Paypal or something

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Tusen Takk posted:

Maybe you should take the hint.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

IOwnCalculus posted:

I suspect there's probably a rule written to exclude any test-only behaviors, whether on every car as-produced or on specially built cars sent to the EPA, otherwise I'd agree with you. Especially when VW has not tried to refute this at all.

Skip-shift is an interesting comparison, but the conditions required to trigger a skip-shift are broad enough that they can be encountered during normal driving by many people. It's also very obvious when it happens, you even get an indicator light. If you could only trigger it to skip by driving in a very specific EPA-test-only manner, maybe it wouldn't have passed. It also did nothing to the mapping of the engine, it simply forced manual drivers to do 1-4 instead of 1-2.

I would love to find out more about what exactly was required to trigger this EPA mode, and what exactly it did to the car while in this mode.

Late to the party, but skip-shift is a straw-man here. Skip-shift games the gas mileage, and was deemed allowable as is the auto stop/start systems. The biggest problem for VW is they exceed the pollution standards in normal operation outside of the special test mode. Which is a really big deal, if they find the EU models have the same trick. We may just be watching VW implode.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 21, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

In my mind, there's a tremendous cargo box in the front, like a giant reverse ute.

I'm imagining it having a row of those flip-up cargo doors on the other side from the original bus. Seems practical.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tusen Takk posted:

And David Cameron likes loving dead pigs, doesnt mean it's a good idea.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Come on, did he ever say he liked it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

But did he cum?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

Late to the party, but skip-shift is a straw-man here. Skip-shift games the gas mileage, and was deemed allowable as is the auto stop/start systems. The biggest problem for VW is they exceed the pollution standards in normal operation outside of the special test mode. Which is a really big deal, if they find the EU models have the same trick. We may just be watching VW implode.

Continuing this, Jalopnik / Consumer Reports seems to indicate that the programming kicked in as part of the same mode that lets them test on a two-wheel dyno. So unlike skip-shift, the trigger that would allow this (enable dyno mode so the car doesn't freak out seeing zeros on the rear wheel speed sensors) would never be seen in any actual driving.

That's a remarkably simple trigger, and one that the EPA can prevent from ever working again by doing all tests going forward on four-wheel dynos.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

meatpimp posted:

He didn't deny he did it...

Watched Interstellar tonight, wasn't aware Nolan wanted to be M Night Shyamalan.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Who we talking about here, Cameron or Takk?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I learn that David "Call me Dave" Cameron hosed a dead pig from the AI general chat thread? Like 2 days later no less??

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Who we talking about here, Cameron or Takk?

Well, we were talking about loving pigs. I assumed Cameron, but it could be TT, I guess?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Well, we were talking about loving pigs. I assumed Cameron, but it could be TT, I guess?

Well whatever TT posts, at least he knows he hasnt hosed a dead pig.

I hope.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Well whatever TT posts, at least he knows he hasnt hosed a dead pig.

I hope.

I just love that television is coming true.

I really hope they had some kind of inside source, and did it JUST to gently caress with him.

Also, cleaning up pounds of oil soaked kitty litter loving sucks. I can't wait until this god drat car is moving again. 3-4 paychecks, hopefully...

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBpQJ98rR4o&feature=share

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

iwentdoodie posted:

I just love that television is coming true.

I really hope they had some kind of inside source, and did it JUST to gently caress with him.

Also, cleaning up pounds of oil soaked kitty litter loving sucks. I can't wait until this god drat car is moving again. 3-4 paychecks, hopefully...

Why havent you made a thread yet? Id read it and make stupid comments every once in a while. MK2 GTIs own.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Goober Peas posted:

VW was hellbent on becoming the worlds biggest automaker, which they achieved. Obviously they did some pretty shady rear end dealings to get there.

But diesel has one hell of a loving hurdle to get over now. Though it would be nice to get rid of the bro mobiles that never see a trailer behind them in their life.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

VW was hellbent on becoming the worlds biggest automaker, which they achieved. Obviously they did some pretty shady rear end dealings to get there.

But diesel has one hell of a loving hurdle to get over now. Though it would be nice to get rid of the bro mobiles that never see a trailer behind them in their life.

Well, we've still got the upcoming Chevy Cruz turbodiesel.

....or do we?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

Well, we've still got the upcoming Chevy Cruz turbodiesel.

....or do we?

It could still happen, depends on if GM is ready to meet the testing requirements. You know the government has been scrutinizing the poo poo out of them lately.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fart Pipe posted:

Why havent you made a thread yet? Id read it and make stupid comments every once in a while. MK2 GTIs own.

Cause I suck at pictures. I'm always too dirty to pick up my phone.

I'll start one this weekend, I should have some parts Wed to start this poo poo onward.

Just be aware this is gonna be a very rat build :v:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

iwentdoodie posted:

I'll start one this weekend, I should have some parts Wed to start this poo poo onward.

Oh, hello. Have you seen the thread about my Nova that is currently cobbled together from parts of no less than 5 different cars of various makes and models? :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

hahaha

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh, hello. Have you seen the thread about my Nova that is currently cobbled together from parts of no less than 5 different cars of various makes and models? :v:

I had parts of 17 models from 5 different makes in my Festiva by the time I was done.
(not trying to one up you, your build is way more awesome, but frankencars are fun)

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

iwentdoodie posted:

Obviously you havent seen my thread and my Chevy :colbert:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Speaking of rat and VW, what happened to that beetle with a fake gun turret and no front brakes?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

iwentdoodie posted:

I tried to get a bunch of pictures for a thread when I did the E21 last winter. I had pictures when I'd get sick of something and take a break or when I'd get a call and have to find my phone. Next time I'm just going to strap on a gopro or something because I never remember to take pictures.

Remembered there's a big 'ethnic market' type place a minute or two walk from my hotel. Dinner was pizza, curry/naan, sushi, more pizza and some Chinese. Pretty drat tasty, love the variety of food in this area.

Now back at the hotel in a food coma watching Top Gear

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Fine fuckers drat I'll start a thread this week.

Edit: my wife is in hair school, and has friends over tonight. I took over the stereo with my vinyl collection. They are NOT happy.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppQZOCFmRnU

Yes, yes they did

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 22, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Apparently I took some good shots when I went to watch the dragboat races this past weekend. Got quite a few friend requests from some of the people who were racing and the photos are getting shared around like crazy. Feels good, finally starting to feel like I might be a proper semi-pro photographer :3:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Edit: my wife is in hair school, and has friends over tonight. I took over the stereo with my vinyl collection. They are NOT happy.

Well nobody like Disco dude.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

I have the vinyl of the Das Boot soundtrack. You could play it while working on the VW :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

iwentdoodie posted:

Playing 70's hair bands I hope.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The Locator posted:

Playing 70's hair bands I hope.

I played:
Prince
Beasties Boys
Warrant
Smokey Robinson
Sleep
David Allen Coe
Prince
Prince
Beatles
Prince
Poison
Miles Davis

Then it got shut off

Edit: 1500 how much for the das boot not even joking

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Tonight I went on an awesome date, with an awesome chick I've never met before, and we just drank beers and talked for like three hours and it was awesome. :kimchi:

Also, I will probably be hungover all day tomorrow. Worth it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Tommychu posted:

I had parts of 17 models from 5 different makes in my Festiva by the time I was done.
(not trying to one up you, your build is way more awesome, but frankencars are fun)

Holy poo poo, that's pretty impressive. At least mine's all GM. Not that that's necessarily a good thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

I played:
Prince
Beasties Boys
Warrant
Smokey Robinson
Sleep
David Allen Coe
Prince
Prince
Beatles
Prince
Poison
Miles Davis

Then it got shut off

Edit: 1500 how much for the das boot not even joking

Seriously are you my loving lost twin or something? My friend and I just did a TSD Rally in the Scirocco this weekend and had Prince blasting the majority of the time.

I think the record shop I found it at might have another copy. If I find it its yours for whatever it cost (think it was $10) plus shipping if you're serious.

• Locked thread