Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Cat testicles aren't on their stomach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Lawson's mouth got worse than it's ever been :(

I took him again after showing more signs of oral pain. He'd stopped eating for a day so I got him in and the vet gave me the last class of antibiotics we haven't tried yet. It's a liquid, and since his mouth is so painful he absolutely hates taking it. I've got a pain relief gel for him, but now he's scared of that too. He's hiding under the bed all day now, and he's scared of me because I have to get him and hold him down to give him his medicines the few times he comes out. The vet said after this if he still doesn't respond to medicine they are going to go ahead and extract the rest of his teeth, which seemed to work very well last time they did a partial extraction.

I just hope he doesn't forever think of me now as the rear end in a top hat who holds him down and hurts his mouth to put gross poo poo in it. I can't even give him treats before or after to make it better, it hurts too much for him to chew them. I've got a few diffusers and a calming collar on him to see if that will help him relax, and I'm letting him stay hidden as much as he wants, but I don't think that'll make him think any better of me.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 20, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

My mother paid for the adoption of a pair of bonded 11 year old cats today (they were left homeless after their owner died.). Hopefully this will get them into a home since they are now literally free to whoever will take the both of them.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
When I brought out her dinner, Hanako hissed at her food bowl. Guess it's back to square one.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So, the cat likes to live up in the closet in a high place. I have the litter box (space-limited apartment) in the living room kitchen. Should I isolate the cat from her preferred space to get used to the litter box or would it be better to put the box in the closet with her?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So, the cat likes to live up in the closet in a high place. I have the litter box (space-limited apartment) in the living room kitchen. Should I isolate the cat from her preferred space to get used to the litter box or would it be better to put the box in the closet with her?

The cat will find it when she needs it. Put it in a place she can get to and it should be fine. When acclimating a new cat to our house, we usually start with dropping it in the litter box so it knows where it is and can start its mapping routine from there.

Arus
Aug 23, 2003

I need some advice here. I've had an older cat for quite some time, and he sometimes visits and stays with my ex for a while since we shared the cat during the time we were together. About 3 years ago I adopted two kittens from a shelter while the older cat was living with me. He stays with me almost full time except for recently when my ex took him in for an extended period of time because of some health issues he was having (I was afraid of putting him through the stress of a second car ride at the time after a vet visit).

Now it's worthwhile noting he always got along with the kittens and they were fine every other time they were separated for a period of time and reunited again. This most recent time though they are fighting. Constantly. It's actually really scary because they've never fought like this before.

Some back story, because I know he is getting older and needed time to acclimatize, I left him in my bedroom for several days with food and water and kept him separate from the kittens, only letting them have contact through the door. Once, the smaller kitten got in and things went ok, no fighting or growling. I figured things would be fine so I let him out to explore the kitten's space, and then kept him in the back again. Well, he came into contact with the older orange kitten one night and they got into a really bad fight, orange kitten came out extremely poofy and mad and the grey kitten started attacking WITH him which made things worse. Fast forward about two weeks, older cat is now growling/hissing every single time they come into contact with each other. He's still 'ok' with the younger grey cat but the orange one approaches him head forward and I know he finds that threatening. I've tried everything from felliway spray to giving the older cat a zylkene that was actually for my dog (recommended by vet first) but neither seem to be doing anything to quell the random spats they're having.

It's of note the orange cat is the one causing the outbursts because he is quite playful and my older cat is not having any of it because he's not as cat-friendly and I guess he's taking it as a threat rather than play. I'm not entirely sure where to go from here. It's complete and total chaos in my house and any time one of them gets passed me there's another cat fight under the bed and I have to run (on a broken foot no less) to break up. I also note that I did have my younger cats stay with my ex for about a week before bringing the older cat home so they could have time around each other and things were completely fine while they were at that house.

I am at the point where I think I should give up and relinquish my older cat permanently to my ex since he was getting along fine there, but if I don't have to do that and can get them to get along again since they did for 3-ish years already then I would prefer not to split them up again. Taking him back would also lead to me seeing him far less often in his final years (he is 13, and I know this isn't healthy for him).

Sorry this is so long, I'm having a really hard time dealing with this so if anyone has had a similar situation or success with it I REALLY would appreciate some advice.

(yes I still habitually call my younger cats kittens).

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So lord bucketus is rid of his cone and his bandages. He managed to (WITH A 10CM CONE ON!) get onto his bandages and ripped them off, Twice, so when he went back to the vets to look at them after i covered most of his leg and half his arse with elastoplast bandage they decided that since he seems to be weight bearing on his busted leg and walking reasonably well, he doesnt need the cone and the bandages. This was followed by roughly 2 days solid of grooming himself, but he stinks and is covered in dander so as soon as we get the all clear hes going for a bath...

BUT the caveat of no bandages and cone is that he's been restricted to Meowschwitz for basically 23hrs a day until tomorrow when he gets follow up X-Rays and we can work out how hes going. We're allowed to let him out SUPERVISED for half an hr in the morning and half an hr at night, and hes not allowed to tear arse around, jump up on things or be a spastic.

Unfortunately Smudge has decided that Isaac is a chew toy and must be pounced upon and tussled with every minute hes outside of his box, and its shock loading Isaacs leg a bit too much, so in order to allow him to actually get a chance to walk around and stretch and not go quite as stir crazy we had to get serious about it.

Not so loving funny when YOUR locked up in Meowschwitz...

Smudge did NOT do well in the cage... That litter tray was 90 degrees to its current position before, the food bowl was NOT under it it and there wasnt food scattered all over the place either.

At least ive discovered a new time out for the cat when she gives me the "Your getting drop kicked out of the door" level of the shits again!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I just got a new little one, and I'm a bit worried.

He's about 8 weeks old, has been dewormed and has had his first FVRCP or whatever shot very recently. He's just sleeping, which I'm hoping is because he's just a tiny little guy, and under a bit of stress, from moving, to shots, to new people and a new kitty friend. He eats wet food with extreme vigor and drinks fairly well, and uses the box just fine (although the dewormer is still keeping things gross looking and messy, but diarrhea is better than nothing...)

He does have interest in toys, but doesn't really engage with it. This is my youngest boy yet, and I do realize with that age I still gotta teach him some tricks and help him with some kitty stuff - hoping my other cat will help that role a bit.

edit

Don't get cats off craigslist, guys. Little dude was dead this morning. :'(

I have poo poo luck with cats. Knock on wood that my 1y/o is still healthy.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 21, 2015

Gailileon
Jul 24, 2011
This man is the bee's knees, he is the wasp's nipples. He is, I would go so far as to say, the entire set of erogenous zones of every major flying insect of the Western world.
Another cat medical question inbound here.
My girlfriends cat has this lump by her lip, feels a couple millimeters in size, when I first noticed it it was slightly scabby so I thought maybe she got scratched and it got infected? She's worried it's cancer because she's already lost a pet to cancer in the past that was even younger, granted it was a purebred dog and this is a straybred cat but cancer ain't nothing to gently caress with. I also thought maybe it's an enlarged gland? But I'm clueless when it comes to animal medicine so I'm not letting these thoughts effect our actions.
Before anyone flips out, yes we're going to take her to the vet. We're just tight on money at the moment and if she needs surgery I'm not sure how we're going to pay for it, I know we'll find a way though. Neither of us want to lose another pet.

Guess I was just wondering what people here thought about the situation, or if they've had any similar experiences, any input at all is appreciated.

Gailileon fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 21, 2015

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

here's a new one: Pretty sure my cat's microchip is sliding around near his spine. Felt a grain of rice-sized thing around there and it seems to move around. Any cause for concern?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Puppy Galaxy posted:

here's a new one: Pretty sure my cat's microchip is sliding around near his spine. Felt a grain of rice-sized thing around there and it seems to move around. Any cause for concern?

Might want to ask your vet at their next physical. Tigh's chip moved from between his shoulders to over the middle of his right shoulder blade. Vet wasn't worried.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008
Guys, GUYS. I just got my first post-graduate-school job, which means that I FINALLY can have kitties of my own! I am so excited. SO EXCITED. I have lurked in this thread for many years learning about how best to spoil me some kitties. My Amazon wishlist of supplies will finally be purchased!

Here's my question. My job is in a "farming community", which I have been assured has plenty of cats around. Previously, I had planned on adopting two shelter cats, but... should I just ask around for two farm cats now? The town is small, so the nearest shelter is quite a ways away. Any thoughts?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

kreyla posted:

Guys, GUYS. I just got my first post-graduate-school job, which means that I FINALLY can have kitties of my own! I am so excited. SO EXCITED. I have lurked in this thread for many years learning about how best to spoil me some kitties. My Amazon wishlist of supplies will finally be purchased!

Here's my question. My job is in a "farming community", which I have been assured has plenty of cats around. Previously, I had planned on adopting two shelter cats, but... should I just ask around for two farm cats now? The town is small, so the nearest shelter is quite a ways away. Any thoughts?

Congrats on the job! As for cats, I'd lean towards the shelter, personally, as long as it's not a totally awful distance away. Farm cats might work out if they're kittens, but older farm cats are likely to be relatively poorly socialized and probably worse indoor pets than shelter cats would be. (I assume you want indoor pet cats? If you're getting a rambling farmhouse and want mousers, that's a different story.) Shelter cats will also have been seen by a vet and possibly pre-fixed/wormed/etc., which I can basically guarantee farm cats won't be.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008
Yes, that's what I was thinking. Farm cats are not pets, and I would like two kitties that stay indoors and not kill things. There's two friend-cats I want to adopt from my current town's shelter, but they might not like being adopted and then shoved into a car for four hours with a strange human.

The closest shelter to my new job is an hour's drive away... sigh.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Busy Bee posted:

My mom just adopted a 5 year old cat from the Humane Society so that her current cat could have a friend. It's only been a few days but it seems that they are slowly but surely getting comfortable with each other.

However, the cat that we adopted seems to have a bump around its stomach area. The new cat is always full of energy and does not seem to be in pain so we're not sure what the bump is but to be honest it kind of feels like the cat has not been neutered and still has its testicles. That's what it feels like at least - and whenever I gently put my hand over or under his stomach, he gets very uncomfortable. We are planning on calling the Humane society on Monday when they open but was wondering if anyone here had any idea what this could be?

Could be an umbilical hernia. It's not all that uncommon in kittens, but it is something the shelter should have picked up and had fixed. The fix is surgery and it's not much more difficult than a spay. Ours at the shelter usually get the surgery at the same time as desexing.
e: just re-read and kitty is 5. It's weird that it would go unnoticed that long and you should have it vet checked, but it still seems the most likely thing.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

kreyla posted:

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Farm cats are not pets, and I would like two kitties that stay indoors and not kill things. There's two friend-cats I want to adopt from my current town's shelter, but they might not like being adopted and then shoved into a car for four hours with a strange human.

The closest shelter to my new job is an hour's drive away... sigh.

My Ozma was a farm cat, I got her for free, and while she is the sweetest little idiot in the world, she's also been the most expensive "free" cat in the world, and I will never adopt from anyplace but a shelter again.

Spaying was expensive. Shots cost too. She got sick shortly after i got her and cost over a thousand dollars. As a farm cat expected to eat mice and other pests, she came with worms, which cost to remove. As a contrast, my shelter cat pizza came up to date on shots, parasite free, microchipped, and neutered, and when he got sick within a month of taking him home, the shelter provided meds for him for free. He was not "free" but his adoption fee was a tiny fraction of what out cost to get Ozma the same treatments.

Plus that adoption fee went towards making sure other homeless animals got the care they needed to be placed in their future homes.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
I don't know why, but my tortie is hissing and attacking my coworker anytime she comes over. My coworker doesn't do anything to provoke bad behavior, my tortie doesn't normally act like this...

What is wrong with her?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bina posted:

I don't know why, but my tortie is hissing and attacking my coworker anytime she comes over. My coworker doesn't do anything to provoke bad behavior, my tortie doesn't normally act like this...

What is wrong with her?

maybe she smells weird; try a feliway diffuser, i guess

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

duckfarts posted:

maybe she smells weird; try a feliway diffuser, i guess

I have one. In the living room.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Currently working on introducing a new cat. Wish me luck!

Both cats are rescued cats. The old one, a long haired mix, was originally found hanging around a shopping mall, and at the shelter she was kept apart from most of the other cats because of her strong personality. She was about 8 months old when we got her, and in the 5 years she has lived with us she has become a lot more calm and secure.
The new one is a polydactyl, about two years old. She was rescued after her owners had moved away and let her out in the woods, telling neighbors to shoot her on sight if she bothered them. The rescue service also found a dead kitten in the woods, so she seemingly had a litter of kittens while out there. She was in foster care until we got her, and the foster parents noticed she would just binge into her food, and eat until she threw up. (This may be from not being used to getting enough food, but we also suspect it may be because of worms, so we will be giving her worm medication).

Both cats are spayed, chipped and have had their shots. They are fed Royal Canin dry food and sometimes different treats like tuna and liver paté (common bread spread in Norway).

We have had two cats for a little over a week now. The old one is used to going in and out of the house at her own leisure, and our home has been her safe place since there are many cats in the neighborhood. A part of our house (guest room and extra living room) is mostly unused and separated with a door from the rest of the house, and the new one has her litter box and food/water there. When old cat is in the house new cat is kept in her room, when old cat is outside, the door of new cat's room is open and she can explore the house freely. We use a Feliway diffuser in the main living room, as that is the room where both we and the cats spend most of our time.

Accidentally they got to see each other very early, and there was some hissing and bad body language. After keeping them separate for about a week we have tried letting them meet for short periods, always supervised and with a snack at hand. We separate them before they turn aggressive to each other.

New cat seems more secure in her new home for every day, and it's no doubt that the biggest hurdle will be socializing them to each other.

Any tips? Things to try out? Do's and dont's? How long can the introduction phase take? We have done a few things "wrong" already, and notice that both cats are sceptical to each other. The old one is much larger and we fear she will hurt the new one badly if they get in a fight. Both cats have been mistreated and left in the cold by previous owners, so both have some issues.

Picture is from when we gave them a snack together today before we separated them. Old cat ("Ibanez") in the back, new cat ("Leona") in front.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

kjetting posted:

Any tips? Things to try out? Do's and dont's? How long can the introduction phase take? We have done a few things "wrong" already, and notice that both cats are sceptical to each other. The old one is much larger and we fear she will hurt the new one badly if they get in a fight. Both cats have been mistreated and left in the cold by previous owners, so both have some issues.

Those are some excellent cats! It sounds like you're doing all the right things as far as introducing them. Don't be too afraid to let them sort things out between themselves. A certain amount of hissing and wrestling is normal and you can make things worse if you keep separating them or otherwise intervening at the first sign of "trouble". The picture you posted shows they aren't too bad around each other since they're both prepared to do something other than stare/hiss/yowl in each others' presence and they look pretty chill. I'd only intervene if there was loud yowling or blood drawn or it was very clear that one of them was feeling especially bullied.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Urrgh....

Isaacs leg is healing well, but has a long way to go- the bones knitted and starting to heal along its face, but in along the sides still hasnt really started to harden up yet.

So another 3 weeks of having the worlds worst radio box (all it plays is meow all day) stuck in my bedroom.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Organza Quiz posted:

Those are some excellent cats! It sounds like you're doing all the right things as far as introducing them. Don't be too afraid to let them sort things out between themselves. A certain amount of hissing and wrestling is normal and you can make things worse if you keep separating them or otherwise intervening at the first sign of "trouble". The picture you posted shows they aren't too bad around each other since they're both prepared to do something other than stare/hiss/yowl in each others' presence and they look pretty chill. I'd only intervene if there was loud yowling or blood drawn or it was very clear that one of them was feeling especially bullied.

That's really comforting to read! I will probably update with some progress later. As I stated, my fear is that the older and larger cat will rip the scrawny newcomer to shreds as soon as she gets a chance to do so.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

In my experience of owning cats who hate other cats, if she wanted to rip the newcomer to shreds she wouldn't be acting as relaxed as she looks in that photo in such close proximity to the other cat.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
Ugh, Belly was at the eVet overnight while they made sure he wasn't blocked (yay for just a little bladder infection) and now Pearla hates him. Hiss hiss hiss swipe.

I have them in different rooms for just a bit but it's sad because he wants to be near his sister and she just wants to bite his face off.

Ugh cats. Poor guy

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Organza Quiz posted:

In my experience of owning cats who hate other cats, if she wanted to rip the newcomer to shreds she wouldn't be acting as relaxed as she looks in that photo in such close proximity to the other cat.

Cool, thanks.
My whole experience with cats is present in that photo. My girlfriend has had cats when she grew up, but I've never had pets before we adopted that first cat.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kjetting posted:

Cool, thanks.
My whole experience with cats is present in that photo. My girlfriend has had cats when she grew up, but I've never had pets before we adopted that first cat.

Cats do a lot of play fighting - they bite but don't close their jaws, swat but with their claws in, hiss and growl a bunch to intimidate. It's part of cats being cats, and it's just part of their social behavior - a show of strength or something. They may do it to establish a social pecking order, or to define territories, or just to screw around - I don't always understand why. Our youngest cat is an rear end in a top hat who just likes to start poo poo with the older ones, for example.

Actual fighting to inflict harm is fairly rare. When they get into it, keep an eye on it to make sure it's not fur and blood flying, but for the most part let them fight it out. They'll get their issues settled eventually and learn not to set each other off.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Lipumira posted:

Ugh, Belly was at the eVet overnight while they made sure he wasn't blocked (yay for just a little bladder infection)

Lucky you. The eVet told me urinary infections in male cats is not the norm, it's usually inflamed from crystals/blockages/stress like my orange monster. I'd prefer a course of antibiotics over dealing with feline stress and dietary concerns.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Lipumira posted:

Ugh, Belly was at the eVet overnight while they made sure he wasn't blocked (yay for just a little bladder infection) and now Pearla hates him. Hiss hiss hiss swipe.

I have them in different rooms for just a bit but it's sad because he wants to be near his sister and she just wants to bite his face off.

Ugh cats. Poor guy

Mine do the same thing. What usually works is taking an old towel or blanket or something that smells like you/them and really going to town on them. Maybe even wet them down a little and let them lick themselves clean for an hour. Then they usually smell normal to the other one

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

darkforce898 posted:

Mine do the same thing. What usually works is taking an old towel or blanket or something that smells like you/them and really going to town on them. Maybe even wet them down a little and let them lick themselves clean for an hour. Then they usually smell normal to the other one

I need to not stress out about it (which is hard) because it's worse than I've ever seen. I know they will be fine , they are brother and sister and she tolerates him in the room and even eats food within 3 feet but drat she is a hissy bitch all over this.

I am not used to it - normally they are fine. Well, they've been rubbed down and fed together and even separated for a bit... they will work it out.

Sheldon just looks so sad.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Lipumira posted:

Ugh cats. Poor guy

I take my Pixie to the vet....and we get home and instead of the rest of the gang going "Hey! You smell different!", we get a pissed off Pixie chasing down everyone in the house and beating on them before they know whats happened. Poor cats :( They have no clue and all of a sudden Miss Grumpyguts comes charging at them with murder in her eyes and proceeds to let everyone know that if SHE was unhappy because she went to the vet then EVERYONE should be unhappy she went to the vet. It wasn't even anything more than her 90 day thyroid checkup at the regular vet who is like all of 2 mins from our house. No shot, no temp taken, just a quick blood draw and check of eyes/ear/skin etc.

You would think that at 11 years old plus she would be mellowing out but...I can't see that happening anytime soon. She is currently sitting near me on top of the cat tree growling at no one...she's just mad and doesn't care who knows it. And her appointment was yesterday....she is holding a grudge :(

Hope your kitty is feeling better soon!!

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

Disco Salmon posted:

I take my Pixie to the vet....and we get home and instead of the rest of the gang going "Hey! You smell different!", we get a pissed off Pixie chasing down everyone in the house and beating on them before they know whats happened. Poor cats :( They have no clue and all of a sudden Miss Grumpyguts comes charging at them with murder in her eyes and proceeds to let everyone know that if SHE was unhappy because she went to the vet then EVERYONE should be unhappy she went to the vet. It wasn't even anything more than her 90 day thyroid checkup at the regular vet who is like all of 2 mins from our house. No shot, no temp taken, just a quick blood draw and check of eyes/ear/skin etc.

You would think that at 11 years old plus she would be mellowing out but...I can't see that happening anytime soon. She is currently sitting near me on top of the cat tree growling at no one...she's just mad and doesn't care who knows it. And her appointment was yesterday....she is holding a grudge :(

Hope your kitty is feeling better soon!!

Ha. Pixie sounds awesome... that's kind of hilarious. I read about, it's gotta be fun to live.

Sheldon is doing fine but he's super confused why his friend is being mean. He doesn't attack back, he just looks at her and backs off. He's a good boy. Waiting on hearing the results from the work they did yesterday, but he's great.

Pearla might have an aneurysm though.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I found a stray, friendly cat wandering around my apartment complex's parking lot. Took it in.

How do you guys usually handle stray cats? I'm just gonna keep it in the bathroom with some water and some newspaper and take it to a vet tomorrow to look for a microchip. It's a pretty cool cat, likes to head bump my legs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you havent got cat food, canned fish in springwater would be appreciated. Or deli chicken/turkey.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I'll definitely pick up some cat food and maybe litter tomorrow. For now all I've really got is some whole milk (lactose free which I bought on accident) and some frozen chicken breast. I'll defrost some for tomorrow. Cat doesn't seem too hungry though, though otherwise seems relaxed. Makes me think he/she must live nearby.

edit: Worth mentioning that I put up a craiglist ad and knocked on a couple likely doors already asking around. Can do more later of course.

Psycho Society fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 23, 2015

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Psycho Society posted:

I found a stray, friendly cat wandering around my apartment complex's parking lot. Took it in.

How do you guys usually handle stray cats? I'm just gonna keep it in the bathroom with some water and some newspaper and take it to a vet tomorrow to look for a microchip. It's a pretty cool cat, likes to head bump my legs.

Like normal, but more guarded; gotta be really careful about scratches and avoiding bites until you can get the cat checked out. Also, if you already have cats, you need to quarantine them off in case they got FELV or FIV on it.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

How do you know it's a stray cat? It may have a home?its parents may be worried sick :-(

Put up signs stating you have him / take him to a vet as he may have a chip.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

CoolCat posted:

How do you know it's a stray cat? It may have a home?its parents may be worried sick :-(

Put up signs stating you have him / take him to a vet as he may have a chip.

I can't even count the number of times I've been yelled at for "stealing" someone's cat. People will see a cat and bring it straight in without asking around and not infrequently the cat is an indoor/outdoor or an escape artist picked up near where it lives. Checking for a microchip is a very good idea, as is door knocking or if you have a community lost and found Facebook group, posting on there.
If the cat is in good condition (no fleas or obvious health problems, good weight) and friendly there is a good chance it does live nearby. Having visible ID on the cat, whether a tattoo or a breakaway collar with tag is a very good idea for this reason also, even if you keep your cat indoors.

Having said that, one of my cats is a stray that turned up one day. We flyered and face booked and checked the local lost and found (the shelter wasn't built in my town yet at that stage) and turned up nothing, so we kept her and she is a really good cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I took her in to the vet this morning, she did have a microchip (yay), I forget exactly what they said but it wasn't up to date or something, no info on vaccines or anything apparently. The guy listed as owning her hasn't responded yet. Got some litter and some canned cat food but she hasn't eaten much.