Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ulvir posted:

"where the architecture is free without constraints!"

i prefer my architecture constrained by engineering with a nod toward gravity thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

flosofl posted:

I've dared him to use the Arty Bollocks Generator, but he hasn't gone for it yet.

Ooh, nice. Almost as good as the postmodernist generator.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Guys,

Frank Gehry's own house:

:lol:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-21/how-frank-gehry-became-frank-gehry

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

IPCRESS posted:

Why is art deco making an appearance in a thread for mocking awful architecture?

You haven't been following this thread much have you.

flosofl posted:

I was talking with an artist friend about Artist Statements once, and he said "Most artists are self-aware enough to know they're total bullshit, but necessary bullshit for marketing yourself. At this point I just consider them part of the piece I'm working on." (paraphrase, but that was the gist)

My brother did an art piece based on that fact. One of the things he did for it was picking up samples of all the programs and artists bios of all the shows he was going to. Reading through them there was some truly mindboggling stuff in there.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

IPCRESS posted:

Why is art deco making an appearance in a thread for mocking awful architecture?
Palate cleanser.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Legit :krad:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Needs some fountains in the front. And pennants. And a digital sign.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Each fountain and pennant must be of a different style, but must be painted in the same style (but different colors, of course)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

cheerfullydrab posted:

no the featureless concrete expanse really makes it

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Sorry, this is awesome. What is it? Where is it? How can I marvel in person?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I can't be mad at a man who added a wizard tower onto his home.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Rough Lobster posted:

I can't be mad at a man who added a wizard tower onto his home.

And let his six-year-old loose on the rough sketches with crayons.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Factor Mystic posted:

Sorry, this is awesome. What is it? Where is it? How can I marvel in person?

Here.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Holy gently caress I love how this place is like in the middle of fields about half a mile up from a god drat trailer park

Oklahoma is a magical place.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

d3c0y2 posted:

Of course it is, do you not see the wizard castle?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Holy poo poo it looks like somebody didn't know when to stop building.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

They knew when to stop building, they just decided not to.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

It's a less depressing Winchester Mystery House.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

This owns.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

This isn't nearly as wild as that Oklahoma house, I'll admit, but something everything about it bothers me:

Good news, though! If you like it, you can buy it!

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
i want to punch both those houses in their dick

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This isn't nearly as wild as that Oklahoma house, I'll admit, but something everything about it bothers me:

I'm the tower section with a different type of siding

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

tetsuo posted:

i want to punch both those houses in their dick

Unless they're both elaborate tents, or were constructed using the same revolutionary paint-over-tarp technology pioneered at Soichi, you would probably fare better punching the architect in the dick.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

IPCRESS posted:

Unless they're both elaborate tents, or were constructed using the same revolutionary paint-over-tarp technology pioneered at Soichi, you would probably fare better punching the architect in the dick.

The architect or the guy throwing money at him yelling, "Technicolor turrets! MORE technicolor turrets!"?

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

IPCRESS posted:

if that the outside then pretty sure there are dicks built in those houses somewhere and I'ma punch 'em.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

d3c0y2 posted:

Holy gently caress I love how this place is like in the middle of fields about half a mile up from a god drat trailer park

It would have to be. In a well regulated city they would probably reject plans to build that house.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You can see ugly Queen Anne houses throughout all of America, many of which were built ~100 years ago. I'll admit that that is horrible.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The new ones manage to look shittier though. I dunno if they're all using vinyl siding and tarpaper but something about the materials makes them look like low-poly computer models. There's no depth to any of their surfaces.

Edit: the modern one contrives to look as if every single part of it has been cut from standardised prefab sections, is that it?

For the sake of argument, compare this 1897 house:

To the aforementioned shitbox:

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

GotLag fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 25, 2015

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

=>Squish!<=

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Pretty sure I made this in the sims when I was 10.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I'm literally shaking right now.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Paddyb posted:

It'll be okay; just look at this:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Paddyb posted:

Did you buy a house from grover?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

tribbledirigible posted:

The architect or the guy throwing money at him yelling, "Technicolor turrets! MORE technicolor turrets!"?
I want a house made entirely of technicolor turrets. Just gonna show up to an architect with a bunch of crayons of different lengths held together with a rubber band.

Bonus points if the rubber band is in the design.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
finna hole myself up in one of them turrets with a good eighth and a sack of rubber bands & just furiously rain hell down upon the squirrels in my magic back yard.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

GotLag posted:

The new ones manage to look shittier though. I dunno if they're all using vinyl siding and tarpaper but something about the materials makes them look like low-poly computer models. There's no depth to any of their surfaces.

Those aren't individual wooden scallop shingles on that shitbox, no sir.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Paddyb posted:

Can't even reduce how irritating it is to look at in timg.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Here's a nice feature about the new Broad Art Museum in LA, I think it's a good example of the building not overshadowing the art and having the galleries organized in a logical manner. The cylindrical elevator is pretty tits too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Some would say this building is ugly and bad, but those people are dumb.

Accretionist posted:

It'll be okay; just look at this:

:feelsgood:

• Locked thread