Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

RE Steve's parents, here's the only photo I have of his family http://i.imgur.com/8OWuqvh.jpg
I don't know why I didn't expect that but I didn't and I made a sound best described as a cackle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Battle Pigeon posted:

RE Steve's parents, here's the only photo I have of his family http://i.imgur.com/8OWuqvh.jpg

Just put some little cheeks 'n' beaks on there and they'd be perfect :kimchi:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

yeah that surprised a smile out of me :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I have a question...

When I started posting in PI about 2009/2010 did I start calling cockatiels potatoes?

I'm not trying to take credit AT ALL because I ripped that phrase off from somewhere and I was wondering if anyone could figure it out without using Google. :)

"Oh, little winged potatoes..." (Pronounced Wing-ED)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Just put some little cheeks 'n' beaks on there and they'd be perfect :kimchi:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

You drat well better get yourself un-sick Amadeus. :colbert:

Sekkira fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 22, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
When I got home from work today, I opened up the bird's cages and stepped in the next room to put my keys and backpack away. Hannah decided to fly into the bathroom and cause mischief. He knows he's not supposed to do that. Here's what he did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUb2qwnAXUE

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Tendai posted:

Ain't no party like a greenbirb party :3: Man, one bird cuddled up on me is warm, three would be heavenly.

Except Gunter has now picked up this annoying habit where she yanks on jade's hair (and mine when she's feeling "friendly"). It wouldn't be so bad if she didn't grab each individual hair by the root and then pull along the length of it for as long as her little birdie neck can stretch. It feels like she's pulling it out, but she isn't because there is no aftermath in the form of piles of hair.

There is no point to this behavior other than it's her way of saying "I love you" through pain, without drawing blood (so, progress?). If I got a nickel every time jade said, "OW! Gunter, no. Stop ripping out my hair, it's cage time now," then set her on top of her cage, I'd probably have a hundred bucks. I'm lucky, I have long hair so she runs out of neck length before I run out of hair length; he's got short hair so she just yanks and yanks and yanks away until he puts her on top of the cage.

And then she does her happy hawk whistle and flies back to his hair and starts yanking on it again anyway.

Aw, birb love. Caution: is sometimes painful.

Oh! Speaking of the murderbird, I think she might be starting to trust me! When she was on the back of the couch this weekend, I was able to place my hand (all curled up in a terrified "please don't bite me, here have a surface with less of a grip" fist) close to her and she gave me fist/beak bumps instead of rending the flesh from my bones, then started beaking/licking my hand.

I may have a minion soon! :devil:

Jose Oquendo posted:

When I got home from work today, I opened up the bird's cages and stepped in the next room to put my keys and backpack away. Hannah decided to fly into the bathroom and cause mischief. He knows he's not supposed to do that. Here's what he did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUb2qwnAXUE
Oh my God, that's precious! :allears:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
And before I get accused of being mean, I was scolding him because right before I started recording he was attempting to eat the bathmat.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Jose Oquendo posted:

And before I get accused of being mean, I was scolding him because right before I started recording he was attempting to eat the bathmat.

Nah, I didn't think you came across as mean. You were using the same tone I use when Simon hangs off the door chain and shreds (but doesn't eat, thank God, because he's so drat sneaky about it) the paint from the door frame--goodbye security deposit.

In other words, your tone just seemed part of the normalcies of bird ownership. If one never scolds the bird, that just means one has never caught the bird in the act.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Watching Max walking around...he really is basically a little person, isn't he?

https://i.imgur.com/6JwWnTh.gifv

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I'm so used to the waddle of the fat balls of fluff from budgies and I never really see Boop walk around as she's not allowed on the floor. Does Max have a limp or is that just how cockatoos walk? Considering I see him walk like that all the time, if it's the former, I don't think it's a painful injury, just something that one of his legs don't work properly.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's really such a lovely example of a well-adjusted cockatoo :3: It's pretty delightful to see, for me, because I haven't personally met/known of through friends many cockatoos that didn't have some reasonably serious neurosis or another. You can see how much work the owner's put into it, too.

Oh jeez that look when he puts the bead down. Max you charming motherfucker.

EDIT: I wish Spix's macaws were both good pets and not on the brink of extinction because good heavens those are pretty birds.

Tendai fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 22, 2015

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Potato Salad posted:

He really does seem to be a tiny kid in a bird's body. When he cocks his head and looks directly at his owner while he's listening to him talking, you can see the gears turning in his brain. Here's the full video, which includes him transforming into a squeaky toy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf_Ff0qrL84

I think big cockatoos just have a weird gait. I've seen others doing that funny little shuffle too. I bet part of it is due to the zygodactyl configuration of their feet. Big strong zygodactyl feet have excellent gripping power, whether they're grasping an object, climbing, or perching. However, they're clumsy for walking and running. :saddowns: Anisodactyl feet (the most common type in birds, with three toes in the front, one in the back) don't grasp as strongly, but it means they're better for running and jumping.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Parrots walking is always awkward but you can REALLY see it on the big ones where it looks like they're just being veeeeery careful sometimes

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I have a sick bird :smith:

Keep the room warm, like around 80 degrees at least! You want him using as little metabolic energy to warm himself as possible. When you're with him, you can keep him tucked against your skin instead, if he'll tolerate it. My birb gets very cuddly when she's been sick so that helped.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Potato Salad posted:

https://i.imgur.com/6JwWnTh.gifv

He's so cute :kimchi: And you can almost hear him doing his "Waghhhhehr gebleeehhhhr geblehhhhrrr gebuhhhhh?" as he runs about.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Get well soon Ama!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I actually have pictures of what must be Ohtori's parents (they came to the breeder as rejected babbies, looked up stuff in the paperwork to find the original person), but Steve is an unknown even with the ring and who loving knows about Inko, his owner didn't even know his name or species

Inko hung out on the desk with me for a while today and when he wedged himself in various spots I managed to preen his head pinfeathers with surprisingly little aggression or attempts to stop me. Still nowhere near stepping up or picking him up or anything but he's fairly chilled otherwise. He stuck his beak through the cage bars at one point and actually let me grab it for scratches

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Mizuti posted:

bird feet

And then there's this:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

And then there's this:

Oh man, that's perfect

Also my feeling about tacos

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mizuti posted:

He really does seem to be a tiny kid in a bird's body. When he cocks his head and looks directly at his owner while he's listening to him talking, you can see the gears turning in his brain. Here's the full video, which includes him transforming into a squeaky toy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf_Ff0qrL84

I think big cockatoos just have a weird gait. I've seen others doing that funny little shuffle too. I bet part of it is due to the zygodactyl configuration of their feet. Big strong zygodactyl feet have excellent gripping power, whether they're grasping an object, climbing, or perching. However, they're clumsy for walking and running. :saddowns: Anisodactyl feet (the most common type in birds, with three toes in the front, one in the back) don't grasp as strongly, but it means they're better for running and jumping.

I think some of it is due to their joints as well. Cockatiels are ground foragers and don't seem all that awkward walking around but they're not nearly as flexible as conures and pois.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A chipmunk got into our house and the cat is chasing it and Judah is having the best morning of his life, entertainment-wise. They keep thundering right by his cage and he's up on the perch with the best view with his crest straight up, whistling.

Now back to trying to get the chipmunk out of the house without the cat getting out of the house and nobody catching hantavirus since everything here seems to carry it.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Tendai posted:

A chipmunk got into our house and the cat is chasing it and Judah is having the best morning of his life, entertainment-wise. They keep thundering right by his cage and he's up on the perch with the best view with his crest straight up, whistling.

Now back to trying to get the chipmunk out of the house without the cat getting out of the house and nobody catching hantavirus since everything here seems to carry it.

I can almost see Judah with his own little pom poms cheering them on....he must be having a blast!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I have a sick bird :smith:

poor guy :( Hope he is back on his feet again, and I hope you are doing ok as well...I am sure you are worrying about your little manbirb :(

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 22, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Disco Salmon posted:

I can almost see Judah with his own little pom poms cheering them on....he must be having a blast!
OH HE WAS. Now he's asleep, the cat's asleep, and the chipmunk is crying at random and skittering through my house :suicide:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tendai posted:

the chipmunk is skittering through my house :suicide:

Explain photographically.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Explain photographically.
Ha ha ha you say that like it ever lets me get close enough to see it for more than .5 seconds

If it did, it would be out of my goddamn house by now. The cat gave up and went to sleep, even, so she's not flushing it out anymore.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tendai posted:

Ha ha ha you say that like it ever lets me get close enough to see it for more than .5 seconds

If it did, it would be out of my goddamn house by now. The cat gave up and went to sleep, even, so she's not flushing it out anymore.

You say this like it was a request. :colbert:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

You say this like it was a request. :colbert:
I've been chasing the drat thing around for three hours, at this point it either leaves or the cat kills it. Judah is of no help :mad: Except for making it hard to eat chips and salsa because he isn't fooled by the carrot stick I gave him.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

And what about Judah photos??? Bribe him with a crisp/chip if you have to :v:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cat is Up And Awake right now which means Judah is in, he's only out during her twice a day 2-3 hour nap when I can shut the door to what is basically the cat room but also with my bed. Next session I will do my best.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
The potato thing was from Mystery Science Theater 3000 - Pod People. The character in that awful film was called Trumpy! After watching that growing up all my friends called small animals potatoes.

Also look at that parakeet run :)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

It's so stompy :3:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Captain Log posted:

The potato thing was from Mystery Science Theater 3000 - Pod People. The character in that awful film was called Trumpy! After watching that growing up all my friends called small animals potatoes.

Trumpy you can do stupid things! :v:

I always called tiels potatoes because mine are lazy rear end perch potatoes. YMMV

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I always called tiels potatoes because mine are lazy rear end perch potatoes. YMMV

yeah this is more it I think, tiels are just fat and dumb and cute like potatoes.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Hurr durr I'm a dishes :derptiel:

jetblack357
Dec 5, 2013
So I recently got a Red-Bellied parrot that was just weaned. Think its a female, but I've had her for about twenty days. Last bird I had was a cockatiel, so I now come here. How exactly do I tell if she's angry or pissy? This is my first time owning a parrot, and she's kind of a bitch sometimes. At least I think she is. Dunno yet.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

jetblack357 posted:

So I recently got a Red-Bellied parrot that was just weaned. Think its a female, but I've had her for about twenty days. Last bird I had was a cockatiel, so I now come here. How exactly do I tell if she's angry or pissy? This is my first time owning a parrot, and she's kind of a bitch sometimes. At least I think she is. Dunno yet.

Start disciplining biting and stuff now, there's lots of good info in the OP in general. Don't discipline with physical or verbal abuse though, just a stern 'no' and put the bird in the cage, or on the floor, or somewhere other than on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

SaNChEzZ posted:

Hurr durr I'm a dishes :derptiel:

When you're finished eating tacos, you have to put the dishes in the sink/dishwasher.