Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Junkie Disease posted:

https://twitter.com/yuichiro_takeda/status/645478451881750529
"英語圏の人は、「my waifu」という言い方するけど、なんで「my wife」でも「mai waifu」でもないんだろう……?"
Oh no.
Hes the writer of Xenoblades.

My Japanese isn't the best, but isn't he just asking why English speakers use the term "my waifu" instead of "my wife" or "mai waifu"? The one Twitter response seems to basically be saying "gently caress if I know".

e: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Is Prject X Zone something that'd come out here? It kinda reminds me of Cross Edge.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is Prject X Zone something that'd come out here? It kinda reminds me of Cross Edge.

Project X Zone is like Super Robot Wars but with videogames instead of mecha. The first one takes forever to kill a single generic enemy but the second one promises to make combat quick.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Evil Fluffy posted:

they've already announced it for america and it's a bad game

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
In fact I'm p sure it's more popular in america than Japan which is unfortunate because the game loving sucks

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'm past Chapter 16 in Project X Zone now after two years of not playing it.

I think I'm experiencing the onset of Stockholm Syndrome when I say this but it's getting to the point where PXZ is starting to feel like a guilty pleasure game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
STOP

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I only play it when I'm out and don't have access to any consoles. Otherwise I won't even think of touching it at home.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The sickness is inside already. They can't escape it.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

It's too late for me, save yourselves.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Oh goddamn that Special Edition Xenoblade box is HUGE.

I'm just sitting here thinking how awesome it's going to look next to all my other JRPG special editions. You could fit a grown rear end man into that box just like the titanfall one.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Junkie Disease posted:

https://twitter.com/yuichiro_takeda/status/645478451881750529
"英語圏の人は、「my waifu」という言い方するけど、なんで「my wife」でも「mai waifu」でもないんだろう……?"
Oh no.
Hes the writer of Xenoblades.

do you have something against waifus, fucker? you're in the wrong part of town.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm so excited for this game

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think about playing this game about every other day, so hyped.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I had a dream where I bought both Xenoblade Chronicles X and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at the same time and they both had those super cool 80s style artwork for boxes and then the dream ended :(

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I'm past Chapter 16 in Project X Zone now after two years of not playing it.

I think I'm experiencing the onset of Stockholm Syndrome when I say this but it's getting to the point where PXZ is starting to feel like a guilty pleasure game.

I played and beat the first one right when it came out and will gladly buy the 2nd one.

It's me, I am the one who enabled a sequel to a game that really should have never gotten one.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

The Black Stones posted:

I played and beat the first one right when it came out and will gladly buy the 2nd one.

It's me, I am the one who enabled a sequel to a game that really should have never gotten one.

How dare you spend your money on entertainment you see fit to consume.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

NTT posted:

I had a dream where I bought both Xenoblade Chronicles X and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at the same time and they both had those super cool 80s style artwork for boxes and then the dream ended :(
That wasn't a dream. That was the future.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Six. Weeks.

Are you getting excited? Because the hype is real and I'm riding this train strapped to the front.

Japanese wallpapers
http://imgur.com/a/EKmGH

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Six. Weeks.

Are you getting excited? Because the hype is real and I'm riding this train strapped to the front.

Japanese wallpapers

Super excited. I will probably close this thread a week before the game comes out and make a new one for it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Six. Weeks.

Japanese wallpapers

Still can't wait for Xenoblade X. The timing is perfect for me too, when it comes out i'm going to be able to just focus entirely on this game and nothing else.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I'm at Chapter 29 in PXZ now.

A couple turns into the mission Iris appeared and Zero started having problems ("what am I fighting for" included) and the game forced me to go rescue him within a set time limit.

gently caress this game.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Lin's skeevy outfits have been censored for Western release, as we all suspected.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How dare you Nintendo, how dare you. You're degrading the pure intent of the original release and I, for one, refuse to purchase a censored product in this, the land of the free and the home of the heavily sexualized 13 year old girls.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't care about losing bad costumes, but it's odd to me that nobody ever seems to ever get mad about this stuff existing in the first place.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

How dare you Nintendo, how dare you. You're degrading the pure intent of the original release and I, for one, refuse to purchase a censored product in this, the land of the free and the home of the heavily sexualized 13 year old girls.

It's just inconsistent, they left Fire Emblem untouched.

Then again those three games got an M rating.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Censored isn't the correct term. That implies a government entity stepped in forced Nintendo to change it. The developer decided to just make a change for the western release, that's not censoring anything.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's just inconsistent, they left Fire Emblem untouched.

They didn't though, they edited that beach DLC thing and the new one will likely be heavily edited.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Oh wait False alarm it's the EU release not America

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

They didn't though, they edited that beach DLC thing and the new one will likely be heavily edited.

Why do 30 year old men cower in fear of a videogame character's boobs?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

Oh wait False alarm it's the EU release not America

So we may still get our creepy sexualized 13 year old?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I wonder if this is just for Lin or every female character.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Censored isn't the correct term. That implies a government entity stepped in forced Nintendo to change it. The developer decided to just make a change for the western release, that's not censoring anything.

That's just being kind of pedantic. Maybe it's inaccurate by definition, but it's the term I've seen used for content modification in localization, even by at least one person in the industry.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

The article specifically says Western release so it should apply to both Europe and the US.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
to no one's surprise the posters at NeoGAF that have anime and MLP avatars do not like the change, with my favorite quote that was posted more than likely not ironically:

quote:

my nipponese products must be in the original nihongo without any of your filthy gaijin contamination, otherwise it's censorship

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

I take greater offense to her having a doctorate at the age of 13. Forget clothing what sort of intellectual and academic standards does Future Los Angeles have?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Louisgod posted:

to no one's surprise the posters at NeoGAF that have anime and MLP avatars do not like the change, with my favorite quote that was posted more than likely not ironically:

thanks for the bad forum news update.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Motto posted:

That's just being kind of pedantic. Maybe it's inaccurate by definition, but it's the term I've seen used for content modification in localization, even by at least one person in the industry.

It's not being pendantic. You can't just randomly decide a word means something else entirely. One person in the industry using it wrong doesn't make it okay.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
People in that neo GAF thread are praising the altered outfits because they were afraid of the series moving into anime territory.

Did they not play the first game....like at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

People in that neo GAF thread are praising the altered outfits because they were afraid of the series moving into anime territory.

Did they not play the first game....like at all?

Or even realize that the development team making this game never even intended for Xenoblade to leave Japan? That Xenoblade was made exclusively for the Japanese audience, as was Xenoblade X? We are only getting the sequel because of how the last game did over here but it's not made with western audiences in mind.

• Locked thread