Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Skwirl posted:

Fine, Cheers is still a much better way to waste your time than SHIELD.

Also fans of Cheers don't defend it by saying "yeah the first 16 episodes are terrible, but then it gets good."

Tons of people have said almost that same sentence about the first seasons of The Office and Parks and Rec. Some shows just take time to find their footing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

JT Smiley posted:

Tons of people have said almost that same sentence about the first seasons of The Office and Parks and Rec. Some shows just take time to find their footing.

Tons of people have also tried to compare both these shows to AoS while ignoring that both their first seasons were 6 half hour episodes long. You have to watch three times as much TV as both of those first seasons combined before you get to good episodes in AoS. And this is by the admission of actual AoS fans. That's not a very generous comparison for shows finding their footing.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Why does it even matter if the shows good now?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

A lot of people explain that they gave up on AoS after watching a bunch of episodes of the first season and found it boring. A bunch of other people say "just watch until episode 16, it gets good". That's a ton of TV to watch, and I think that's missing from some of the comparisons that people are making to other shows that had weak beginnings or poor first season ratings.

Isn't that the exact thing we are talking about right now?

I'm glad for fans of the show that they like it better now, though, good for them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

JT Smiley posted:

Why does it even matter if the shows good now?

Because having to commit roughly 16 hours to a show before it starts to entice me sounds stupid as hell.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Then don't watch the bad episodes, just start at the good ones. I skipped the second half of the first season and it isn't too hard to follow.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JT Smiley posted:

While true, the first season of both those shows are 6 half hour episodes, and given the episodic nature of those shows there's almost no reason to watch the bad ones.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I still sort of wonder if the mini-series or TV movie pilot formula would be better than trying to go in with a 13-23 episode first season on some hour-long shows in order to get over that rough first season growing pains.

If it does well, you can reair it a few times in the next year, you announce it going to series, you have some buffer time to figure out what works and what didn't.
If it doesn't work, well, it was just a one-off, you might revisit it in a year with another miniseries, you can retool it for a second go later on.

I still sort of think the first season of Gotham might have been better had it only been about 6-10 episodes with a tighter focus.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Skwirl posted:

While true, the first season of both those shows are 6 half hour episodes, and given the episodic nature of those shows there's almost no reason to watch the bad ones.

Well yeah, I'm not saying people should sit through a second of a show they don't like.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
New Supergirl footage trailer

It looks like they took the "too guuuurly not enogh acshun~!!" complaints to heart, at least as far as advertisement goes.

(I still don't get blue heat vision. Just...why blue?)

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

It looks like they took the "too guuuurly not enogh acshun~!!" complaints to heart, at least as far as advertisement goes.

Because "we can't have the TV version of heat vision confused with the film version."

Serious talk: Who knows. Just look at what they did with Red Tornado.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

BrianWilly posted:

Maybe it's Bizarro vision?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Glad Gotham decided not to find a consistent tone between seasons.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I still sort of wonder if the mini-series or TV movie pilot formula would be better than trying to go in with a 13-23 episode first season on some hour-long shows in order to get over that rough first season growing pains.

If it does well, you can reair it a few times in the next year, you announce it going to series, you have some buffer time to figure out what works and what didn't.
If it doesn't work, well, it was just a one-off, you might revisit it in a year with another miniseries, you can retool it for a second go later on.

I still sort of think the first season of Gotham might have been better had it only been about 6-10 episodes with a tighter focus.

Worked for The O.C. It had like 4-6 episodes in the summer, was a break out hit, so then they made a full season.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Madkal posted:

Glad Gotham decided not to find a consistent tone between seasons.

Oh did that start back up tonight? I was busy watching magic tricks.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

This looks absolutely horrid. Anyone looking forward to this show can't complain about Agents of SHIELD ever again

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Hakkesshu posted:

This looks absolutely horrid. Anyone looking forward to this show can't complain about Agents of SHIELD ever again

The pilot really wasn't half bad, aside from the frequent mentions of a permanently offscreen Superman threatening to derail its world-building.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Skwirl posted:

Worked for The O.C. It had like 4-6 episodes in the summer, was a break out hit, so then they made a full season.

It also worked for Lexx. A series of movies/minis and then actual seasons.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Hakkesshu posted:

What exactly didn't you like about it? All it did was showcase some action scenes that, while generic, frankly look great on a TV budget.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Just watched, was expecting much worse based on the comments.

Her heat vision is blue because uh, it's hotter than Superman's.

I forget, does this take place in the same universe as MoS?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

Just watched, was expecting much worse based on the comments.

Her heat vision is blue because uh, it's hotter than Superman's.

I forget, does this take place in the same universe as MoS?

No, it's in its own universe.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

What exactly didn't you like about it? All it did was showcase some action scenes that, while generic, frankly look great on a TV budget.

It looks like Smallville 2.0

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

It looks like Smallville 2.0

I'd like to see you back this up.

Is it the fact that she's suited up and flying and exercising her powers in the pilot, I agree that is a lot like Smallville.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

zoux posted:

I'd like to see you back this up.

Is it the fact that she's suited up and flying and exercising her powers in the pilot, I agree that is a lot like Smallville.

No Flight
No Tights

Hrmmm...yep, Smallville 2.0, this checks out...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Hey in Smallville they made superman's buddy Pete a black guy and on Supergirl they made superman's buddy Jimmy Olsen black so it's exactly the same

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If this is Smallville 2.0, is Supergirl gonna go after the much less interesting and attractive love interest, to the frustration of the viewers?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Medullah posted:

Hey in Smallville they made superman's buddy Pete a black guy and on Supergirl they made superman's buddy Jimmy Olsen black so it's exactly the same

But will JImmy love to sell Oxy like Pete did?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Is this show sponsored by Toyota and Stride gum?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

No Flight
No Tights

Hrmmm...yep, Smallville 2.0, this checks out...

As if these were the things that defined that show, and not it just being a lovely, cheaply produced soap starring superheroes

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

As if these were the things that defined that show, and not it just being a lovely, cheaply produced soap starring superheroes

Good point, Dickeye.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Hakkesshu posted:

Seeing as the first half of the series didn't have superheroes in it, I'd say that defined the show pretty well. It spent almost five years being a teen soap opera starring Clark Kent as the world's most reluctant hero with barely any of his powers. They cheap cheesy superheroics came in the latter half when they started introducing actual comic characters. So far Supergirl seems roughly on par with the other current DC superhero shows, but whether it actually is remains to be seen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Serialized story telling :ohdear: In a comic book show :ohdear::ohdear:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Seeing as the first half of the series didn't have superheroes in it, I'd say that defined the show pretty well. It spent almost five years being a teen soap opera starring Clark Kent as the world's most reluctant hero with barely any of his powers. They cheap cheesy superheroics came in the latter half when they started introducing actual comic characters. So far Supergirl seems roughly on par with the other current DC superhero shows, but whether it actually is remains to be seen.

In no world would putting Clark in a suit and having him fly make Smallville a better show. I'm talking about tone, the type of dialogue we've heard, the production values, acting, you know the things that actually define whether a show is good or not. Supergirl looks wretched

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

In no world would putting Clark in a suit and having him fly make Smallville a better show. I'm talking about tone, the type of dialogue we've heard, the production values, acting, you know the things that actually define whether a show is good or not. Supergirl looks wretched

Name an action show on network TV currently that it looks markedly worse than.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Supergirl is about being a superhero.

Smallville was about anything but.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The dialogue and tone is no worse than Arrow or Flash, both of those shows are laughably written most of the time with really dumb characters saved only by charismatic actors and fanservice, but generally fun anyway, Supergirl looks to be the same.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I don't understand the complaints either. From what little I've seen it doesn't look any worse than Flash or Arrow. Hooray for a Monday show. Tuesdays are crowded.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought Supergirl looked terrible from the trailer but the show was better than it has been presented as. There's an airplane rescue scene that is pretty out of this world for a TV budget. It looks fantastic. That may have just been pilot money at work but if that's any indication they have some good teams working on it. And Melissa Benoist's personality is infectious enough that you'll want to watch more just for her, but that Red Tornado though... yeesh.

Here's what I said about after I watched the pilot a while ago.

X-O posted:

I watched the Supergirl pilot and while I would not call it good it's nowhere near as horrible as the trailer made it out to be. What's weird is the effects look so much better than they did in the trailer that I don't believe for a second they polished them up that much in a week. That means they used unfinished effects in the trailer when the finished effects were probably ready to go. The plane rescue is actually quite amazing for a TV budget. Even on a major network like CBS.

The biggest downside is that if you were to look at the dialogue in this episode you would think the main character of the show was "her cousin" because nobody ever shuts the gently caress about "him" at all. They say "his" name once in the intro and only refer to "him" like I am now for the rest of the episode. It's annoying as hell. Also he's been around for over a decade at least in this universe as he was already doing his thing as a superhero when Kara arrived as a child on Earth. How they're going to avoid using him on the show is certain to become distracting as there's no reason at all why he shouldn't be able to pop at to even just say hello to his cousin. I struggled not type out his name just in those few sentences, I don't know how they wrote that whole episode doing it. At one point Cat Grant refers to him as The Superlative Man. Talk about jumping through hoops.

Hopefully they iron out that stuff because there's plenty working for the show if they can overcome those problems.

X-O fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 23, 2015

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

X-O posted:

Melissa Benoist's personality is infectious enough that you'll want to watch more just for her

Actually, I didn't buy it at all. Maybe this is just me projecting, but the scene in her apartment with her sister came off as utterly saccharine. Your sister could have died, was probably incredibly scared - and you're positively gushing about how cool you are. Then the 'coming out to my co-worker by faking suicide'... urgh. You can't just hover in the air about ten feet instead of flinging yourself off the roof of a building? Then there's the whole "wait - how many survivors from Krypton are there now?" literally from the first episode. I don't know. I've never watched Arrow or the Flash, but if they're equally as corny then I'm kind of glad I've skipped them.

I mean, she was really into it, very positive, all that. But I just feel like there was a whole load of character moments that the pilot was just surging through, almost to just get them in place. You couldn't have an episode dedicated entirely to her making the conscious choice to start being a hero and using her powers openly, and maybe wrangle out the reveal of the DEO and the Phantom Zone prison in later episodes? It felt really overstuffed. The worldbuilding needs to be teased out a little more so that you don't have ridiculous poo poo like Kara being appalled at her sister's position in a shadowy secret metahuman task-force roughly eight minutes after revealing herself to the world as a superhero. And the ridiculous ditzy "Oh I'm boy-crazy for this handsome boy, whoopsie daisy I'm such a dork" trope. Ugh. I honestly feel like that Benoist can probably sell that character, even sell a positive attitude, without the whole endeavor feeling so rushed and cheesy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

None of the problems you really listed were anything other than writing problems. And the show has a ton of that. Benoist does the best with what she had. At first I thought she was overacting at spots, but I realized after rewatching it a week or two later it was just the writing that was the problem and not her. I mean for instance the entire first episode is built around "Girls can do cool stuff too!" and quite shoddily I might add, but then literally everything she does is immediately compared to her more famous cousin that nobody can ever shut up about even though they won't say his name. The writing is a problem, the fact that I still wanted to check it out after the pilot is a testament to the casting I think.