Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Randler posted:

Die Gesamtheit der österreichischen Steuerzahler besteht zu einem nicht unerheblichen Teil aus Körperschaften, welchen ihren Sitz nach Österreich verlegt haben aufgrund der laxen Besteuerung und der noch entspannteren Vollstreckung im Zusammenhang mit nationalen und internationalen Steuern.
drat, did your avatar turn from a judge into a Schlapphut?

Cingulate posted:

German in the Germany thread?
Yea, the saxon revolution has been successful and speaking english gets you shot now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Riso posted:

You are amateurs. We invented bureaucracy. German registrars in small dinky towns will know everything, tell you everything and maybe even inform the colleague that you are coming. Even over email!

Austrian ones will shrug and then say you're holding up the line.

As someone who's working in a "small dinky town"-Verwaltung I can attest to that. We're doing what we can, but you can only bend the law so much.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Nektu posted:

drat, did your avatar turn from a judge into a Schlapphut?
That's the same eagle judge, just in profile, isn't it?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Both avatars are based on the aquiline personification of the Bundesverfassungsgericht as imagined by political cartoonist Heiko Sakurai.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Libluini posted:

Since you can't even find real fascists and are threatening innocents, I think I'm safe. When the revolution comes, you're probably end up eating someones baby in the wrong city after confusing it's leftist mother for me.
I think it should be

Libluini posted:

Since you can't even find real fascists and are threatening innocents, I think I'm safe. When the revolution comes, you're probably end up eating someone's baby in the wrong city after confusing its leftist mother for me.

How confusing!

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Is using "Euer Ehren" instead of "Herr Vorsitzender" :thejoke: or a mistake on part of the cartoonist?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Kopijeger posted:

Is using "Euer Ehren" instead of "Herr Vorsitzender" :thejoke: or a mistake on part of the cartoonist?

"Euer Ehren" is the stereotypical address for judges. The actual recommendation is "Frau Bundesverfassungsrichterin" or "Herr Bundesverfassungsrichter", respectively.

edit: ah just understood what you wanted to say. "Euer Ehren" is a Hollywood import. But yeah, you don't call the constitution judges "Vorsitzende" either.

Honj Steak fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 16, 2015

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
http://www.protokoll-inland.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/PI/DE/Allgemeines/Anschriften.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

In international correspondence you can call the chancellor "Exzellenz". :eyepop:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The deans of university faculties still have the best formal titles with “Eure Spektabilität“ :cool:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Nektu posted:

Yea, the saxon revolution has been successful and speaking english gets you shot now.

As would actual German if the saxon revolution had really been successful.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

System Metternich posted:

The deans of university faculties still have the best formal titles with “Eure Spektabilität“ :cool:

A colleague of mine still addresses the univseristy's dean as "Magnifizenz"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

poo poo, if I was a dean, I'd have to insist on it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

At least in the English language diplomatic style guides, this is also to be used for ambassadors as well. In practice its only used in very formal settings. Normally it would just be Madam Chancellor, Mr. Ambassador, etc.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lol at these rules. Did they ever had to address Guttenberg with "Durchlauchtheit" because of this?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Nope, because “Durchlaucht“ is a title of nobility, which was formally abolished in 1919. You can call him that (or whatever the correct way of addressing someone of his rank would be) if you want to be polite, but there's no need to. Now when you're working for the Auswärtiges Amt and have write a formal invitation to some English lord or whatever, it would be expected of you to address him as your lordship/your grace/your royal highness or whatever, as the law over there still knows titles of nobility.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hey Germany thread, the 182. Oktoberfest is now officially open. Please mind where you vomit and if you see some young chick or guy with no alcohol in their hands please do the needful and offer to pay for the next round. Munich is a student town and most student can't afford to get blackout drunk on the October anymore, thanks to tourist pushing prices every year! Also, try to pass out lying on your side and stuff you wallet in your underpants before you lose consciousness! Have fun! :)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The DAX apparently went below 10,000 points again for the first time in quite a while. :unsmith:

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Randler posted:

The DAX apparently went below 10,000 points again for the first time in quite a while. :unsmith:
And by "quite a while" you mean "4 weeks"?
Hopefully this means that we are finally moving towards good buying prices again.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

botany posted:

A colleague of mine still addresses the univseristy's dean as "Magnifizenz"

This is short and special tho.
I ended up as "Diplom-Verwaltungswirt des allgemeinen nicht-technischen gehobenen Verwaltungssienstes in der Besoldungsgruppe Amtsrat A12" as "Job". "Beamter auf Lebenszeit" is a "öffentlich-rechtliches Dienst und Treueverhältnis" so I don't even work based on contract but as a service for a "Anstalt des öffentlichen Rechts" which may have "Beamte" in duty by law ( § 121 BRRG iirc).

Beeing Beamter is SO deutsch ;-)

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Giving up your freedom to go on strike in exchange for job security is very German, yes.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

botany posted:

Giving up your freedom to go on strike in exchange for job security is very German, yes.

aka gesicherte Armut.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
As opposed to ungesicherte Armut working for a business :v:

In addition, while you can't go on strike, the German state will grind to a halt when you carry out Dienst nach Vorschrift.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

You guys, I found the text equivalent of a .gif that slowly morphs into goatse:

quote:

Deutschland wurde unter Gerhard Schröder erwachsen
Durch Rot-Grün ist sich Deutschland seiner Rolle in der Welt bewusst geworden: Eine Rezension von Gregor Schöllgens Schröder-Biografie. Von Jürgen Trittin

edited to add: lmfao

quote:

Natürlich gab es massive Kritik an der Agenda 2010. Doch hatten nicht gerade die Grünen zwischen 1998 und 2002 nach Kosovo und Afghanistan bewiesen, dass man selbst den Verlust der Hälfte der eigenen Wählerschaft durch Beharrlichkeit und Überzeugen zurückgewinnen kann?

Smirr fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 22, 2015

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Smirr posted:

Natürlich gab es massive Kritik an der Agenda 2010. Doch hatten nicht gerade die Grünen zwischen 1998 und 2002 nach Kosovo und Afghanistan bewiesen, dass man selbst den Verlust der Hälfte der eigenen Wählerschaft durch Beharrlichkeit und Überzeugen zurückgewinnen kann?
I honestly don't understand how this sentence is supposed to work, linguistically. What is he saying the Greens managed to win back? It seems it can only be "de[r] Verlust der Hälfte der eigenen Wählerschaft".

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Cingulate posted:

I honestly don't understand how this sentence is supposed to work, linguistically. What is he saying the Greens managed to win back? It seems it can only be "de[r] Verlust der Hälfte der eigenen Wählerschaft".

"Doch hatten nicht gerade die Grünen zwischen 1998 und 2002 nach Kosovo und Afghanistan bewiesen, dass man selbst den Verlust der Hälfte der eigenen Wählerschaft durch Beharrlichkeit und Überzeugen zurückgewinnen kann?"

Wen kann man zurückgewinnen? (Den Verlust) (der Hälfte) (der (eignenen) Wählerschaft).

Can't find anything wrong with that sentence. We love our long convoluted sentences.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
more like Die Oliv Grünen Bündnis Jäger 90 lmao

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dackel posted:

"Doch hatten nicht gerade die Grünen zwischen 1998 und 2002 nach Kosovo und Afghanistan bewiesen, dass man selbst den Verlust der Hälfte der eigenen Wählerschaft durch Beharrlichkeit und Überzeugen zurückgewinnen kann?"

Wen kann man zurückgewinnen? (Den Verlust) (der Hälfte) (der (eignenen) Wählerschaft).

Can't find anything wrong with that sentence. We love our long convoluted sentences.
Yeah as I said, that's the only way I can see this working out as, but what does it mean to win back a loss? It doesn't say, win back the voters. It means, win back their loss.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Cingulate posted:

Yeah as I said, that's the only way I can see this working out as, but what does it mean to win back a loss? It doesn't say, win back the voters. It means, win back their loss.

Go read your BILD with its simple sentences.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

"Verlust zurückgewinnen" means exactly that in this context. If you win back a loss, you get back whatever you lost before. In this case, we're talking about a German political party winning back voters they had lost in earlier elections. I know German can be a bit convoluted sometimes, but the meaning is crystal clear this time.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

A funny thing happened on the way to the Fraport

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
Ihr seid Syrer, asoziale Syrer
Ihr schlaft unter Brücken
oder in der Bahn-Hofs- Mission

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The Real Foogla posted:

more like Die Oliv Grünen Bündnis Jäger 90 lmao

lol

also guess who just started working for a vw supplier? i'm so lucky.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Germans get evicted from their houses so immigrants can move in.

GaussianCopula was right all along! :ohdear:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

I was?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
The comments on this

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=626376980838406&substory_index=0&id=619727678170003

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Getting the urge to just reply to every one of them with "nazi"