Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

But then Night Dive completely acquired the rights to the series from that one insurance company and politely asked the packager to take it down. I believe some of the fan-patches and fixes from that version are in this one.

EDIT: Investigated - there's a bunch more enhancements, like natively running under Windows.

Oh, cool. I bought it either way, but it's nice to know that this is an enhanced version of the portable package with the fixes baked in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

The Kins posted:

There was (at least by the definition where "abandonware" means ":filez: that nobody cares about"). But then Night Dive completely acquired the rights to the series from that one insurance company and politely asked the packager to take it down. I believe some of the fan-patches and fixes from that version are in this one.

EDIT: Investigated - there's a bunch more enhancements, like natively running under Windows.

Man, if I were running that insurance company, I would have been a good sport and released a jokey video or press release in which Shodan gets the company to relinquish the rights by being VERY persuasive.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hmmm I never played it when it launched and something tells me that System Shock is very much a game of its time and a game for the rose-tinted glasses - it looks like a very difficult thing to pick up and play now if you never have before.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

BadAstronaut posted:

Hmmm I never played it when it launched and something tells me that System Shock is very much a game of its time and a game for the rose-tinted glasses - it looks like a very difficult thing to pick up and play now if you never have before.

It's a bit hard to pick up and get into, but it's still pretty drat absorbing after you get over the control hump.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It has mouse look, so the control hump is significantly less of a hump than before.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I seem to recall there is a mod that will just make it control like a regular-rear end modern FPS so it's probably fine

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Now that Night Dive at least partly owns the rights, is there any chance of a System Shock 3? Who would even make it? And is there still enough demand for it for a crowdfunding campaign to be successful?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Just a friendly reminder that one of the 'cybernetic modifications' you can get in System Shock 1 is basically a pair of roller skates.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I have literally zero doubt that if the legal ends were tied up, a System Shock 3 kickstarter would get incredible funding.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

I have literally zero doubt that if the legal ends were tied up, a System Shock 3 kickstarter would get incredible funding.

Yeah, I wonder if any studio could pull it off though. Some things are best left to history.

I actually had SS1 Portable saved on my comp for a long time but never got around to installing it. Hope I'll get chance now. Although, while SS2 is still a great game, I definitely had my rose-tinted glasses on regarding some of the story and voice acting...

When I finished SR: Dragonfall this weekend a blurb at the credits reminded me that the lead developer/owner/something of Harebrained Schemes also was behind Crimson Skies. I looked around some and they apparently acquired the rights for CS long ago, wonder why that hasn't shown up on Gog yet? Anyway, someone also made a fix for it so it's playable on modern hardware!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

God no, Ken Levine would either be involved or be a stretch goal.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I hope this means they will release similar "Enhanced Edition"s of Ultima Underworld 1 and 2.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ymgve posted:

I hope this means they will release similar "Enhanced Edition"s of Ultima Underworld 1 and 2.
Ultima as a whole is in EA's claw-like grip. Normally I'd say that this means nothing will ever happen to them ever... but apparently EA donated the source code of the "Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes" adventure games to the SCUMMVM project, so clearly we live in crazy world.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

ymgve posted:

This I would play for sure...

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

BadAstronaut posted:

This I would play for sure...

Indeed - first day buy.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

The Kins posted:

Ultima as a whole is in EA's claw-like grip. Normally I'd say that this means nothing will ever happen to them ever... but apparently EA donated the source code of the "Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes" adventure games to the SCUMMVM project, so clearly we live in crazy world.

poo poo, I love those games. I'd really dig replaying them.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

The Kins posted:

EA goes through cycles of shutting down anything that isn't a sequel, to giving old games a shot, to experimenting with new games, and then back to shutting things down

I think we're going into a period of good EA

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It has mouse look, so the control hump is significantly less of a hump than before.

Casual. *huffs Shodan's mutant gas, grows third hand required to play System Shock*

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BiggerJ posted:

Now that Night Dive at least partly owns the rights, is there any chance of a System Shock 3? Who would even make it? And is there still enough demand for it for a crowdfunding campaign to be successful?

The thing is, Night Drive isn't a game development company. So you'd need to involve another company to actually make the game.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Isn't it more than likely that Night Dive has distribution rights only? I would expect that EA still has brand rights since they're the ones who bought Origin.

Not that an EA Kickstarted game is impossible, but that poo poo gets complicated.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Is System Shock still worth the price of admission, or would most people say to just spring for the sequel? I'm not against playing older, more cumbersome games for the historical value, but I know even so it's not always worth it.

I tried looking up gameplay footage on youtube but every video I find has some guy talking over it in a way that makes me want to turn it off.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Is System Shock still worth the price of admission, or would most people say to just spring for the sequel? I'm not against playing older, more cumbersome games for the historical value, but I know even so it's not always worth it.

I tried looking up gameplay footage on youtube but every video I find has some guy talking over it in a way that makes me want to turn it off.

I'd say it is still worth it, a lot of the atmosphere comes from audio logs and some neat little tricks in the level design, and both of those still hold up despite the aged graphics and clunky controls. And the sequel is definitely more enjoyable if you're familiar with part one already..

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Bad Seafood posted:

It has an excellent atmosphere but the version I played had no key mapping or resolution changes, so it was a bitch to get around on the UI. The soundtrack and the digital logs you find are great.

Has anybody here picked this up yet? I was going to , but am holding off because there seem to be a bunch of technical problems that won't let people launch the program.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Spun Dog posted:

It has an excellent atmosphere but the version I played had no key mapping or resolution changes, so it was a bitch to get around on the UI. The soundtrack and the digital logs you find are great.

Has anybody here picked this up yet? I was going to , but am holding off because there seem to be a bunch of technical problems that won't let people launch the program.

I bought it and it runs fine. It takes a while to get used to the controls but I think its worth it. I have a high tolerance for hanky old games though.
The widescreen option seems to stretch your viewport so I will stay away from that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Eulisker posted:

I bought it and it runs fine. It takes a while to get used to the controls but I think its worth it. I have a high tolerance for hanky old games though.
The widescreen option seems to stretch your viewport so I will stay away from that.

See avatar :v:

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

Spun Dog posted:

The game runs great. Possibly the complaints stem from people trying to run it on windows 10? But other people say it runs fine on windows 10 too so...

The game is extremely playable with mouse look enabled. Just buy it.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

See avatar :v:

Exactly :agesilaus:

Moop Moop posted:

The game runs great. Possibly the complaints stem from people trying to run it on windows 10? But other people say it runs fine on windows 10 too so...

Im Running Windows 10 and it works fine. I have not played too far yet so maybe in level 8 it all goes to hell.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I kinda wish there wasn't a 100% camera destruction requirement to progress levels. I guess its to make sure the player doesn't miss any keycards or logs etc, but still its annoying as gently caress to get to 98% and be stuck

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The thing that made the controls very awkward with the original control scheme is that all the aiming and manipulation was done with the mouse cursor with the right hand and all the movement and "mouse view" controls were done with the left hand. Other than that it plays like any other fps rpg game...

Offsetting the mouse view controls to the mouse most likely makes things much easier to manage but I was able to handle the old school controls and enjoy the atmosphere and gameplay. To think something that's as immersive and complicated (in a good way) as SS1 came out before doom 1 is pretty impressive.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

GoldenNugget posted:

To think something that's as immersive and complicated (in a good way) as SS1 came out before doom 1 is pretty impressive.

Doom was originally supposed to be more RPG-like before they decided to make it all-action. Doom wasn't forced to low complexity by technology.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

ymgve posted:

Doom was originally supposed to be more RPG-like before they decided to make it all-action. Doom wasn't forced to low complexity by technology.

Come for the Doom alpha screenshots, stay for the internet circa 1996 lists that IE sucks and early animated gifs of Barney getting killed.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Going from a nostalgically outdated site to ANOTHER when looking up his Win98 Lite version is simply precious. I'm so glad people keep these kinds of sites alive! :allears:

http://toastytech.com/files/index.html

http://www.litepc.com/

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
SS1 was released almost a year after Doom though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah but Ultima Underworld wasn't, SS1 is pretty much an evolution of that

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Moop Moop posted:

Done and thanks for the replies everybody. I'll mess around with it tonight if I have free time.

Edit- Cool, it's only 5.99

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 24, 2015

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
They made an RPG of Doom I, II, and Wolfenstein. I would give those a go, frankly.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

I love you, Sid Meier's covert action. :allears:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People is now on GOG.
I consider it to be Telltale Games' most under-rated title. It was when they still made point-and-click style adventure games rather than interactive narratives, and was probably one of their strongest efforts.

If you ever watched/enjoyed Homestar Runner cartoons, definitely pick this one up. The creators worked very closely with Telltale on it, and it manages to capture a lot of the series in-jokes wonderfully.
It's basically a PG version of South Park: Stick of Truth.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I rarely ever watched Homestar Runner and even I found it enjoyable. It probably holds up better than the Wallace & Gromit episodes which they did afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah its a shame that both H*R is largely over and Telltale don't make those sorts of games anymore.
Strong bad is their best game in this style